“nice resort, but not a top rated location”

Kempinski Hotel The Dome
Ranked #55 of 94 Hotels in Belek
Reviewed 9 August 2012

The Dome is a very nice resort. If you are looking for relax, nice pools, nice seaside, you will be satisfied, but unfortunatelly this hotel not perfect.

First of all, The Dome seems always empty; I hate crowded hotels, but in this case it is really the opposite: after 10PM nobody is around, the looby, even during the day, is always desolate.
Several shops at the main floor are closed, the only shops open are a strange "leather and fur shop" (in Turkye?!?!?), the business center and a small boutique, where an ugly and unpolite boy try to sell lotions at incredible prices.

The rooms are very nice, big, with a great view and well furnished...but they need to be renovated for a 5 star hotel. Our minibar was broken. We have asked several times to fix it, but nobody takes care. Moreover, I was able to use the free Wifi connection with my Ipad only from the bathroom!

The pool area is great, nice and clean, with many chairs and "sun bed"; the same for the beach: nice and well organized (towels and bar service available).

The big problem is the food; in fact if the breakfast was great (as the bar where you can have lunch) for dinner you can only have buffet. Otherwise there is only one " a la carte" restaurant, called Cilantro. It is an italian restaurant, but believe me (...I am italian)... was one of the worst italian restaurant I have ever found. It is slow, the food is very bad and the serivce is terrible.

I think that this hotel (even at the end of july) is never full, so they have decided to close the other restaurant (called Selcuk). So the resort seems sad, because, sometime you walk nearby a part of the resort that is complitely desolate. Moreover it is clear that they cannot offer a high level restaurant, because the main one has been closed.

To sum up: Kempinsky The Dome is a very nice hotel, very quiet and calm. I think it is great for families, with full board treatment. But if you are looking for a top level resort (... as a Four Seasons...) you will not be comlpitely satisfied.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dsurue

Reviewed 3 July 2012

i don t recommend it.
food is really bad
if you are a not smoker you ll complain as there is no differences between smokers and non smokers room
too many babies and troglodytes
a high class hotel like kempinski should not open at reduced costs for babies as troglodytes
people put their ashes into the swimming pool as their crash their salive

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank alioscha
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Wonderfil, relaxing yet very luxurious.
Very pleasant staff and highly professional.
Lots of water activities.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tabshim
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is a place to go, if you enjoy vacation without music playing load and children running around (though the hotel does not have no kids policy, it even has kids pool, it was really quiet and relaxing atmosphere.
Food is good, so HB or AI could be good option. We took it as it cost a little extra thinking wont matter if we eat only couple of times there but ended up having a buffet every night as they had really tasty selection (salmon with salted crust cut in front of you etc).

Room Tip: We had a room with golf view and it was excellent. Don't get just normal garden view as then you...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at the Belek Kempinski.

Design: I absolutely loved the design. From this perspective, it's one of my favorite hotels now, and I've been to top end hotels all over the world. Everything from the building with the caravansary entrance (what an awesome idea; I drove in from over the mountains, so I felt like was traveling the old silk road!) to the pools to the rooms is impressive but tasteful, interesting, and beautiful. Really nicely done.

Service: Variable, but overall good. Like most high end service I found in Turkey, it's good enough, but not super great. But this is all relative. I spent a lot of time in Singapore and Japan, so by that standard, the service here was poor. For example, in Singapore, at a comparable hotel, three people would rush out to greet you and get your bags as soon as you pull up, the check-in person would bring you tea and sit you down to discuss your accommodations, they would suggest free upgrades if available, etc. Here you don't get any of that. When I pulled up, I had a guy randomly wander up to me and stare at me. He didn't offer to take my bags, he didn't tell me what to do with my car or offer to park it. This kind of stuff. The check-in staff was friendly enough, but in general, the greeting team doesn't quite get the concept of hospitality at the same level as they do in Asia.

But to be fair, I also spent time in France and Germany, and by that standard, the service here is excellent. I admit that's not setting a very high bar since West European service has to be the worst in the world, but if you have European experiences in mind, you'll feel like you're coming in from the cold. One thing that was a bit curious here (and I found this to be true all over Turkey) is if you have an issue, staff lose their tempers a bit quickly. For example, I had a minor medical urgency and the restaurant was closed, so I called room service for ice. They kept forgetting to bring it, so I had to call three times over the course of 45 minutes. I didn't get upset because it's a big hotel and I understand these things happen, but by the third time, the room service person actually snapped at me for calling a third time. I had minor instances of this phenomenon occur several times. I find this kind of behavior strange, but not uncommon in Turkey. In any case, these types of exceptions aside, overall I can say the service was good enough.

Spa: Awesome. Like the rest of the hotel, the spa is beautiful and it offers many different therapies (some I never heard of before, like rain massage!). The massage therapist that I had (a Thai lady) was really skillful and strong. I don't like these wimpy relaxation massages and she was able to get in there and work out the knots. But I'm sure that if you'e looking for something less intense, they can certainly accomodate.

Food: Very good. I didn't love the grill by the beach, but the main restaurant where they have the dinner buffet is really good. I especially loved the Turkish deserts, but they had all kinds of amazing stuff. And the setting is great. My only complaint about the restaurant was that they allowed screaming kids. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of these anti-kids people. I even like the occasional shout from a kid, or seeing kids giggling and chasing a kitten and trying to feed it, or something along these lines. But when you have a set of parents who allow their kids to scream all dinner without as much as a "shh," you as a restaurant manager have to grow a spine and tell these parents that they're eating room service tonight. The rest of us didn't pay $50 a plate to hear screaming kids. So, that was frustrating. But luckily it only happened once.

Location: Depends on what you're looking for. For me it was great. There's nothing in Belek to speak of, but it is fairly close to Antalya. Not super close though. So if you want to quickly and easily get to activities, it may not be ideal. But if you want to relax on a nice, quiet little stretch of beach and swim in fantastic pools, it's perfect. The latter is what I was looking for, so it worked out nicely for me. I will say that it's a bit noisy at times. Not because the hotel itself generates noise, but rather because the properties to the left and right do. Sometimes, like when there was a fantastic fireworks show at 11pm right outside my window, I was happy. Other times, like when there was nightclub music until 2am, I was sad. The noise isn't a huge problem, but depending on your room location, you may get some now and then.

Areas of improvement: I would only suggest to the Kempinski team to leverage the global reach of their organization and bring some Asia influence to all their locations. This Belek location is close, but not quite there. Given how beautiful the property is, it's a pity to leave the service slightly under-optimized.

So, would I come back and would I recommend this place to friends? Yes and yes. In the end, I had a great time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank rmc60
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for just 3 nights but were thoroughly and immediately relaxed. The hotel itself is incredibly spacious with impressive interiors, and our room was fabulously spacious with a seating area inside plus an outside balcony overlooking the pool and beach. Our room was the most basic so I can only imagine how much room you get in a larger one.

The pool is simply beautiful. I could have stayed for hours. Towels and sun loungers are scattered around with no problem finding a secluded spot. The swim-up bar was not open but we were a little out of season.

Water activities were readily available and the parasailing was brilliant, as was taking a catamaran out for an hour. The beach itself is private and the water looked lovely, but quite honestly the pool was too good to be bothered with getting sand between my toes.

There are a number of lounge bars, all of which stayed open for as long as we needed (close to 4am on one evening). The food was of a relatively high standard although we attended a couple of corporate events so this might not reflect on the standard fayre. We also had a lazy lunch by the pool grill a couple of times and the food was great. Breakfast is a hot & cold buffet, which is a varied and fairly extensive selection but, personally, I don't fancy grilled Halloumi first thing in the morning. That being said, bowls of fruit and fresh bread washed down with Turkish coffee and fresh orange worked well for me.

All in all a hugely relaxing few days, great room space, good food and - although we weren't with kids ourselves - I would also recommend this for young families looking for a lazy few days away.

Room Tip: Even the basic room was spacious, but ask for a sea view to make the most of the balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ECK71
Reviewed 17 May 2012

The lobby is very impressive. The place itself is pretty huge. It's definitely 5 star. Rooms are med size but very nice, modern and neat. I stayed in one with a balcony, view of the pool. Turkey has great weather so it was sunny all the time. Noticed more tourists from Europe than anywhere else. It was pretty empty when we went. More suited for families. Young couples would be bored here. But note I stayed here some 6 years ago. The hotel is classy but the tourists werent always so classy.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family