“Pure luxury but not perfect”

Calista Luxury Resort
Ranked #9 of 94 Hotels in Belek
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Calista in May 2014.

The beach was not very big and it was not like the caribbean but then again this is a different part of the world and every region is unique in its own way. It was nice for long walks and plenty of sun loungers/towels available for all.

The A La Carte restaurants were lovely, they gave so much food it was hard for us to finish it all! The service was great, the decor was fab, the food was mouth watering. The only a la carte we did not enjoy was the Fish restaurant. Fish for starters and fish for mains, how much fish can you eat in one night?! Also there were cats roaming around the floor and going under the tables. Its the worst thing when you are trying to eat. It put me off so much that I could not eat anymore food. This should not be allowed and we were surprised that a 5 star hotel allows such a thing. The buffet restaurant wasn't good. Some of the items were things that I had never heard of in my life. A lot of it looked like slop. I sampled a few items just to try and i wish I never bothered. We ate there only once and I stuck to spaghetti bolognese. The buffet restaurant however is great for breakfast.

The bars are brilliant, great range of drinks and cigars.

The level of spoken English amongst staff is not up to scratch. I asked the pool bar waitress 3 times for a straw for my drink, she just could not understand and in the end she gave me her pencil and asked me to write it down on her note pad so that she could go and show her manager. I must say she was truly very sorry for not being able to understand and within seconds she came back with what I asked for. The language barrier was apparent and we had quite a few difficulties like this throughout our holiday, we were just a bit surprised by this as its a 5 star hotel. The majority of holiday makers are Russian, and the staff are all fluent in Russian (and Turkish), not so much English.

Our room was very comfortable and always kept clean. There was constant hot water running in the shower and all toiletries/towels as well as items in mini bar were replaced. Each evening calista had live entertainment in their 'outdoor' arena eg dance shows, talent shows, music, singing etc. The high volume of sound booming out from those speakers was enough to keep us up all night. We could not fall asleep until the shows had ended (12am sometimes 1am. It went on and on and on. Some nights we just wanted some rest and peace and quiet but this was not possible with all that noise going on outside. We were very surprised the windows in the rooms were not sound proof. This is something Calista must address. Not all of us want to stay up for the shows.

The entertainment was terrible, we did see a few shows, there was a boring version of strictly come dancing, there was a pop star called dan ballan (who is apparently famous but we've never heard of him) who screamed all his songs out into his mic. My husband and I found it so funny we were imagining what simon cowell would think! Then there was an elvis impersonator...I wont say anymore...

All in all we had a lovely holiday in Turkey and a comfortable stay at Calista but it was not perfect. Maybe if we were to come back we will try a different hotel.

Hope this helps

4  Thank SPM2010
Calista_LR2014, Manager at Calista Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear SPM2010,

First of all, we would like to say thank you for taking the time to write a review about Calista Luxury Resort on Tripadvisor.
We would like to apologize for not meeting your expectations of our hotel. In regards to your comment about the menu in our seafood restaurant, as it is sitauted next door to our South American Restaurant La Carne, we may have been able to make something for you had you mentioned this to our restaurant supervisors. We have many dishes and cuisines from all over the world – South East Asia, South America, Turkey, Italy and France.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Calista Luxury Resort in the future.
Yours sincerely,

Calista Luxury Resort.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,603)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

travelling so much since so many years, this is the best resort ever so far, profissional staff all over the resort, nice programs of entertainment during the day and night, safe, clean, fantastic food, no need to go out at all, just like a dream island

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ahmad Q
Calista_LR2014, Manager at Calista Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Ahmad Q,

As you have mentioned that you travel so much, did you notice our well kept and green gardens? Our horticulture department work day and night to make sure that all greens, trees and flowers are kept well nurished and ready for the day ahead of them providing with enough vitamins to keep them smiling at all times. Behind the 7th block, there is a garden with trees of fruits from all over the world – from Pommegranates to Limes, they are 100 organic and full of flavour! You are more than welcome to try one, just ask one of our F&B supervisors and they will be more than happy to get one or two for you!

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Calista Luxury Resort in the near future.

Calista Luxury Resort

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Calista is amazing!! My girlfriend and I had a fantastic 10 day holiday there. We loved everything about it which only leaves me very picky criticisms. I would certainly recommend this hotel to all and I'm sure we'll be going back. I'd probably try another hotel the next time, just to mix it up. That's a reflection on my personality and not the hotel though.

Staff:
Starting with this one on purpose. Wow! The staff work SO hard. No matter what they do in the hotel they are on the go constantly. It felt like some of them were working the entire time we were on holiday. Morning until early hours. They are all extremely friendly too, really very nice. The only comment I would make was that the reception staff (not guest relations) could be better. Not very eager to help, bit annoying. Everyone else was great. Especially Izet the entertainments director, Vulcan one of the barmen, one of the waiters who had an Elvis style hair do and the Pilates and archery girls! All exceptional.

Guests:
Mainly Russian but to be quite honest, it was nice not to hear English constantly. Plenty of kids which you can't entirely escape but it wasn't any bother for us. There are adult/quieter areas which you can use.

Rooms:
Large, spacious, clean and comfy. Mini bar topped up with out fail daily. Decent housekeeping service too. Very luxurious.

Entertainment and Activities:
Oh my, it was incredible! The 'Animation' team do a wonderful job. Plenty of activities going on all throughout the day. No pressure to get involved either. The evening entertainment is mind-blowing. I will not spoil any act but they have an enormous amphitheater and the live shows are great. 10/10. The parties afterwards are also 10/10! You will not be bored.

Snacks:
Golzeme tent was gorgeous. In fact everything was brilliant. Ice cream galore! 4pm snacks consist of pancakes, jacket potatoes, burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob etc.

Spa:
Very nice but the treatments are probably a little overpriced (not too much). Although you can use the Hamam facilities make sure you have the full on Hamam treatment, it was great.

Beach:
Clean, tidy, drinks service! What else do you need.

Pools:
Again, clean and tidy. Drinks service too. Beds are think mattresses with a towel wrap. Could easily sleep all day long!

A'la Carte:
These need a re-think. The Italian was excellent and the service great! However the fish and meat restaurants were confused and not good. Menus appear ok but execution was poor. Calista, please sort this out. You could make them so much better. Didn't try Sakura in the end, our hopes were not high!

Main Buffet:
Fantastic. Enough said! You'll love it! Service was good and the waiters and waitresses know exactly what's going on at each table. Very attentive. Yes you have to 'find' a table like all the other restaurants but if you want one outside go upon opening (7-7.30) or head down a little later (8.30). You won't miss the main evening entertainment (starts at 9.45)

Other Facilities: They have everything you can think of at the Calista! 500 seater indoor cinema!!! Nightclub and Jazz bar for all the action after 12. Lovely outside bars. Everything you need!

In summary, we really enjoyed our 10 days in The Calista. There are some small things they can improve but it's an excellent hotel. Definitely 5*. It's evident that the Calista is dedicated to making continuous improvements and that is truly the sign of a great hotel. If you've never been to Turkey, like we hadn't you'll love it.

Thanks Calista!

Room Tip: I think avoid pods 2 & 3 (attached to the main building), they're sat too far back. We were...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dcurtismobile

Dear Dcurtismobile,

First of all, we would like to say thank you for taking the time to write an extensive review about Calista Luxury Resort on Tripadvisor. These reviews allow interested travellers to learn so much more than a brochure says in the travel agents or on the websites.
Whilst you were having so much fun with our entertainers, did you manage to have a go on our Angry birds Live! Game? Angry Birds Live! is unique to Calista Luxury Resort – A real life Angry birds game that has been brought to life. Red and the gang are slung accross our well kept greens into blocks and evil Piggies to earn points. The person with the most points wins!
We thoroughly look forward to welcoming you to Calista Luxury Resort in the very near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having never been to Turkey before, we went with an open mind. We were not disappointed. I picked the hotel over the country/location of our holiday based on all the fantastic reviews I’d read. I have stayed in many “5 star” hotels worldwide, but this truly was a 5 star. We are a young couple and visited at the beginning of May. The gardens are immaculately kept and the huge hotel lobby and restaurant are luxurious and clean. The pool is vast, a little cold in May as it is unheated but I guess perfect for the summer months. There were another couple of smaller pools on the resort too. There were plenty of sun loungers which were so comfortable and always covered with clean towel mattresses. There were always plenty of empty ones but not sure if this was due to the time of the year.
We unfortunately had a couple of days of torrential rain but were able to swim in the small outdoor heated pool, and we made use of the indoor pool which didn’t get overcrowded considering the weather conditions. There is an adjoining spa with massages but at 70 Euros, we felt they were overpriced. You can hire cars from reception which we didn’t know about until leaving, not sure of the price. There seemed to be water sports on the beach, and water slides in one of the pools, but I am pregnant so did not take advantage of them.
The staff were attentive, they couldn’t do enough for you, but I will mention that their English is limited. Maybe I am naive and just assumed that everyone in the tourist industry in Europe speaks English! My boyfriend is gluten intolereant and we were given a card to show in the restaurants so they could accommodate for his diet. We actually didn’t use it as we had the buffet for every meal so he knew what he could and couldn’t eat. We thought we would use the A La Carte restaurants (10 Euros per person per visit) as buffets can get a bit ‘samey’, but we didn’t – there was no need to, the food was outstanding, it was an excellent standard so much variety, almost too much to choose from, I needed a bigger stomach! They did all kinds of meat daily – beef, chicken, duck, turkey, fish, seafood, loads of veg and salads and plenty of pasta, rice, chips, pizza and fresh bread to choose from. As well as the buffet, they cooked food on the BBQ outside every evening. The breakfasts were also very good – cereal, hot breakfasts and lots of fresh fruit. At lunchtime we ate at the buffet mostly but also at La Turca, which is A La Carte in the evenings, free at lunchtime. It’s a poolside restaurant which was lovely, but again, a language barrier with the staff! There are fridges dotted around the pool full of cans and bottles of soft drinks and water which was so useful, and we loved the 4pm snacks on the walk down to the beach (crepes, burgers, hot dogs). Remember there is no pork/bacon here, Turkey is a Muslim country.
The bedrooms were luxurious, we had a huge bed and the room was vast and bathroom immaculate and a lovely big balcony. We were in the 3rd floor of pod 4 with a garden view. We could see the derelict hotel next door to the Calista Resort but this didn’t bother us. On the other side of the resort, a new hotel is being built, the construction was fairly noisy if we walked past it but not sure if you could hear it from the rooms there.
The resort I would say was about 95% Russians. We met one other British couple, there were a couple more, but few and far between. We were hoping that there weren’t too many screaming children as I had read it is a good resort for kids. There were quite a few children around, but all very well behaved as I think the kids entertainment seemed good.
We are cat fans and loved that the hotel had 5 or 6 residential cats. My only concern was that
they always seemed hungry and not in the best condition. Upon visiting their ‘cat house’ on the outskirts of the resort, I didn’t feel that they had enough fresh food and water, it looked old and scarce. They were never seen eating there, only loitering around guests waiting for scraps of food.
The beach was lovely – clean and plenty of sun beds. There were also giant cushions on the grass area which were perfect if you don’t want to be on the sand. There was a bar on the pier with drinks flowing and ice creams and drinks at the beach bar.
We didn’t see any of the evening entertainment as it was a bit late for us – it didn’t start until 10pm and we liked to be in bed early to make the most of the sun! We could hear it from our room though, not that it bothered us. We went to an indoor ‘concert’ one evening, a Russian singer, a bit like being at a Eurovision song contest! There was occasionally a live singer/band by the pool bar at around 5pm. It was subtle music and very relaxing.
We would definitely return to this resort.

5  Thank LadyLia79

Dear LadyLia79,

Our Cat house is constantly monitored by our Security Guards who feed them with high quality branded cat food to keep them away from the restaurants, as not everyone loves cats roaming around whilst their on holiday.
We look forward to welcoming you and your family back once again, this time with your children playing in the sun with our multi-lingual entertainers in a mini-club that is open from 10:00 – 00:00 7 days a week!

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Once again top notch fantastic hotel more surprises new ice cream. bar fridges of cold drinks hear there everywhere. New fresh fruit bar open all day on the beach.
A great train for the kids to ride on . The kids club is superb.
Having been in the travel trade for many many years this hotel is up there with the very very best.
And yes we'll be back next year for more!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank stephen4966

Dear Stephen4966,

Whilst you were here, did you manage to watch the magnificent sun set over the glistening mediterranean on our pier? Calista Luxury Resort is the only hotel in belek that has a bar on the pier open until midnight – allowing you to have the opportunity to sit back in our ultra modern and comfortable armchairs, drink in hand, reminiscing on an unforgetable day you had.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Calista Luxury Resort.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed at many hotels in belek, gloria serenity maxx royale to name two. Calista beats them all. Pools, service from staff, food quality and amount!
Guest relations and reception outstanding! Grounds superb, always somewhere to get away from the crowd! That said, hotel was only one third of full capacity. It actually needs more marketing in the UK.
When we arrived we did not like the location of our room. We spoke with reception and was offered an alternative room immediately, with a view overlooking the pool.
Most amazing point was when guest reations tracked down a skirt my wife had eft in the beach bar. Incredible attention to detail.
I have one small complaint. The a la carte restaraunts need a rethink?

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter. Steer clear of rooms on the north side of block 3
8  Thank paul011076

Dear Paul011076,

As you had a room overlooking our pools, did you notice the difference between our pools and other pools in hotels that you have stayed before? We have a very unique filter system – IONS. The water in the pool has 70% LESS chlorine than standard pools. This is because the water in the pools are constantly flushed through electrodes, killing all bacteria instantly, leaving the skin soft and eyes not sore at all, plus there is no chlorine smell as you walk around any of the pools.

We thoroughly look forward to welcoming you back to Calista Luxury Resort

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Firstly can I say my wife and I have stayed in most of the Hotels in the Belek area and beyond in Turkey and this the Calista is on par with all of the very best hotels we have stayed in, we stopped in room 5111 this room has a great view large balcony , inside you have a fantastic room with all you will need on your holiday, the Hotel staff cant be more helpful and a special mention for Mr Denis, if you have any questions or concerns contact him and he will sort it straight away, Denis and his team cant be more helpful.
The hotels food is of a very high standard and the drinks from a glass of coke to a pint of carling larger was all branded drinks, I could go on and on all day telling you about the Calista, but if you want Luxury , a relaxing holiday, in a fantastic hotel please just book the Calista I will be going back again very soon.

Room Tip: 5111 very big and a great view.
1  Thank allanuknewnton
Calista_LR2014, Manager at Calista Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear allanuknewnton,

Please email us prior to your arrival and we will organise your golfing needs for you. We can organise golf clubs and tee-times for you at the majority of golf courses in Belek.
Denis Sends his regards, he has lost a few more balls in the lakes since your last game together, however the THY red ball is still in his bag. He is waiting for his break in a PGA open to use that..