“Simena - The sunken city of Kekova”
Review of Castle of Simena

Castle of Simena
Cirali / Antalya
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Simena - The sunken city of Kekova”
Reviewed 19 January 2007

My family and I travelled to the sunken city of Simena in Sept. 2006. From the harbour of Demre we boarded a small boat and there were many larger boats awaiting to to take out guests. We did not however choose the public boats and opted for a private smaller boat to get the the site. The boat trip will take a good part of 3 hours or more.

We had a great time and enjoyed the view along the coastline of the area. Once we came up to the ancient city we noticed many rock tombs and many staircases both on land and in the water. These ruins are from the Lycian and Byzantine times. Along this trip we passed the small fishing village of Kalekoy with a wonderful castle atop of the hill. Many boats will stop there for lunch but we were a bit pressed for time.

Swimming along the sunken ruins is forbidden but at the end of the trip the captain of the boat took us to another spot just west of the ruins and we were able to swim in this protected area. We also notice small seakayak's that I guess you could rent out to visit the ruins.

I guess however I was expecting a bit more after seeing so many photos of the area therefore I was just a bit disappointed. But all in all a great trip

3 Thank canmom