“Worst Turkish Accommodation ever stayed in”
Review of Perdikia Hill

Perdikia Hill
UK
“Worst Turkish Accommodation ever stayed in”
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Just returned from an awful week at Perdikia Hill apts which I booked in January this year after reading rave reviews on this website. It appears that people fall into two categories of being treated amazingingly or terribly by the management at this resort depending on whether you have an initial complaint when you arrive at the complex and this is our experience.
We arrived early hours of the morning as others have commented and through unforseen circumstances my partner was unable to travel with me so we were 3 people instead of 2 couples. I tried to explain this to the reception staff on duty and that also I had a medical condition that neccessitated close supervision and therefore we required a 2 bedroomed apartment rather than 2, 1 bedroomed apartments as initially booked. He then proceeded to put me alone in a hotel room above reception and my 2 family members in an apartment as far away as possible from me on the complex but I thought OK I can live with this until the morning and hopefully nothing will (medically) happen to me until then. The noise from reception was ridiculous the member of staff put the television on ridiculously loudly and I had to go down and complain this was about 5 o'clock in the morning! Then I heard the dulcet tones of my brother in law in reception complaining that the sheets in the room he had been put in were so wet they were unable to sleep in the bed and the smell of damp was overpowering, we were told to see the manager at 10 o'clock. Suffice to say none of us had any sleep after a very long journey from the UK and we were just wanting to get into the accommodation we had booked and paid for in the UK 6 months previously. After explaining the situation once again to the hotel manager we were shown a 2 bed apt which we took as it looked OK as it had just been cleaned. Unfortunately we realised after unpacking and being in there for one night that this apt was also extremely damp the sheets were were also damp as were all our clothes and belongings,others we spoke to had exactly the same problem as us. One day we came back and somebody was painting over the mould which was growing up the walls in the bedrooms and bathrooms!!!!
Oh and my sister found a frog in the shower that's how damp it was !!!!
We did complain to the manager who did say that we could move yet again but we only had a few days left of our holiday and were fed up of moving here there and everywhere I suggest others just do not book this complex and therefore do not waste days of their holiday moving their belongings around the complex instead of enjoying their holiday.
Onto the staff, only friendly if spending money at the bar and don't buy the cocktails would be very surprised if there is any alcohol in them at all! This is not just my opinion but of others we spoke to around the complex. Drinks overpriced, food not that good much nicer food just down the road at Solo Restaurant were the staff and food are lovely.
We spent loads of money on taxis to and from Hisaronu and Olu Deniz from here so if you are thinking of staying here this is something you need to factor into your budget.
I am not being nasty purposefully with this review this is @ my 15th visit to Turkey and I have never been in such bad accommadation or come across such bad service before it's really put me off returning. The management need to seriously look at what is going on at this complex and address the porblems I have highlightlighted in this review especially the dampness problem and staff attitude

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Turkish first
Chelmsford
Reviewed 14 June 2010

First impression on arrival was that the hotel looked clean and attractive with accomodation in small blocks rather than one big building. Reception staff were welcoming and had our cases taken to our room for us.

The apartment was clean, with 3 rooms, a kitchen/diner/lounge with table, chairs, sofa, TV,and what I thought was a 4 ring cooker unit that turned out to have 3 gas rings that were not connected to gas, and just one working electric ring. The bedroom was of a reasonable size with plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, but only 3 hangers in each wardrobe. The bathroom had a large shower cubicle and a vanitory unit with ample storage for your wash kit etc. Unlike other reviews, there was no sign of any mould or damp anywhere - but we did have a slightly different problem ! We were in a top floor apartment, right under the roof, and the roof had been put on before they finished adding another half a metre to the wall height ! This meant that unless you stood in the centre of a room, or by a window, you had to bend over so as not to bang your head (which my wife did twice).

Food was typically Mediterannean in style, breakfast being cereal, bread, toast, eggs, cheese, meat slices, various jams and honey, juice, tea and coffee. Three times during our one week stay they would cook omelletes or fried eggs to order. Dinner was always acceptable, with plenty of mesas. As a very fussy eater I did find that having only one main option a day was limiting, but my wife, who eats most foods, was very satisfied.

The bar lacks any kind of atmosphere due partly to it's poor layout and partly due to the hotel not being full and therefore not many people drinking - catch 22 really, as even those that were staying did not stay long at the bar probably due to lack of atmosphere.

With the mountains providing a stunning backdrop to the hotel, they also helped bring a cooling breeze in the evenings. As the entertainment finished by 11pm, sleep came easily.

The hotel provides a free mini bus to the beach at Oludeniz every day, but as this was normally filled by families with small children we generally walked the short distance to the main road where we caught a Dolmus (local mini-bus) into Oludeniz (2.5TL) or Fethiya (3TL). These run so frequently that you don't need a timetable - just flag them down. When the drivers see you by the roadside they usually toot their horn to get your attention to see if you want them to stop. If you prefer to take a taxi - haggle - they initially want about 20TL from the hotel to Oludeniz, but will go down to 10TL at a push.

There is plenty to do while on holiday here, a Turkish Bath is a must, and soaring a mile above Oludeniz on a tandem paraglider is a fantastic memory to take home. There is a large market at Fethiye every tuesday where you can haggle to your hearts content, and numerous eateries where you can try the local pancakes - just eat where you see the locals eating and you will get a good deal.

I can understand why this hotel gets reviews at both ends of the spectrum, because some reviews seem to have hyped the hotel above it's level which leaves others disappointed, but personally I was happy to stay here, albeit there are one or two improvements that could be made to enhance ones stay.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stewen
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 13 June 2010

First I have to say I am gutted to read some of the reviews from people who must have been there at the same time as us but had a completely different experience...

For us, it was just an hour drive from the airport (we used a private transfer rather than a coach which drops off a multiple locations) and we arrived in the early evening.
We were helped with our bags to our room and were extremely pleased with what we found. Our apartment was clean and spacious with two balconies and a full kitchen - surprising as we were half board!

We stayed in our allocated room for the full two weeks with no real problems (apart from running out of hot water on one occasion, but that was soon sorted after a quick phone call to reception.) The maids called everyday unless we left the do not disturb sign on, they left our towels arranged in hearts and swans and gave a thorough clean - they even washed the dirty dishes that we hadn't got round to doing when going out early on a trip.

The food was good, although I do agree that there was not a great deal of choice - BUT, what was provided was always well cooked and very tasty and mostly traditional Turkish food - you've just got to be willing to try new things and not expect a full English unless you eat out. The bar staff and waiters were great fun and looked after everyone really well. Garcia & Eric were fabulous and even tried to get people dancing round the pool some nights!

On the subject of eating out - my goodness, there is enough choice to keep you going for a year! With easy access by foot to Hisoronou, by dolmus to Oludeniz and Fethiye we were spoilt for choice on where to go and what to do! We tried a different beach every time we went to Oludeniz and tried different restaurants for lunch and occasionally evening meals.

We have two children aged 2 and 5, they loved it as much as we did.

(we have to mention 'the hill') the trek up and down the drive to the hotel was no different than the street where we live in England, we pushed a buggy up and down it every day and it didn't bother us in the slightest, but I can imagine it would perhaps cause problems for elderly people.

We will definitely return to Oludeniz, we wish to return on a self-catering or b&b basis as we felt there was just so much to see and do. I never thought I'd want to go to the same resort twice, but I've fallen in love with the area and can't wait to return next year. I do recommend Perdikia Hill, but I'm not sure if I will return there as I would like to try somewhere different hotel-wise, if not area-wise!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I tend to agree with previous reviewers. We also arrived in the middle of the night Sunday and were put in a hotel room above the reception as were a couple with a teenager a couple hrs later. The room had no balcony. I complained and were moved on the Tues morning. We haggled 2 free breakfasts and one evening meal because we were supposed to be self catering. The apartment we were moved to was a middle one overlooking pool and mountains and was very nice. You wouldn't have been able to self cater properly as not many utensils and could only get one ring to work. We ate out every night just made breakfast. Our room also had tell tale signs of being damp on the walls and the wardrobe had been moved away from the wall. It was OK though as the temperature was high so didn't feel or smell damp. We had balconies back and front so got morning and evening sun.We did not stay around the hotel much as we like to sight see. I think we were the only couple ( in our 50's) Everyone else had children. They were not noisy at night, all was quiet by 11 so if it is entertainment you want its not for you. We booked ajeep safari ( £12 each and 12 Islands boat trip £9 each including a super lunch online with Carole and Tayfun and they were brilliant and very cheap. Beaches at Blue Lagoon and main beach lovely. Also a quieter beach at Gimeler ( which is about a couple of miles further along the road from Kaya village)and the sun beds are free as long as you buy lunch which was nice. We had a lovely holiday which we made ourselves by hiring a car for 3 days, also from Carole and Tayfun (£24 a day)Also the hill to the Dolmus is not a problem at all. It costs 2.50 tl to go to Olu Deniz. restaurants I would reccommend Sultan Ahmet, blue Star Bella Gusto in OD and Cheers in Hisaronu( did not like His cos too Rowdy) Also had an all you can eat in the Belcegiz Hotel for 24tl. It was good to start the week with a Turkish bath again booked through C and T for 2tl.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed 5 June 2010

After a long journey on the coach to the resort we arrived in late hours of the morning, we were given our room keys which were to a 4 bed villa with its own pool, great upgrade as we booked 2 bed apartment.
The villa was on the top of the resort and very quiet, we could not hear anything from the pool below and was very peaceful looking over Ovacik and the mountains just what we needed a nice relaxing atmosphere.... then it all went wrong.
After five days we were told that we had to move out of the villa as a late booking had come in but didnt have to move out until the Monday, well cant complain as it was nice while it lasted. We were told a family of eight were coming so we moved out to the 2 bed apartment which was overlooking the pool table so now it was very noisy and the rooms were very damp, we woke up to a wet bed and all our clothes were damp and couldnt sleep as the smell of must was to hard to breathe.
We went to see the manager who give him his due moved us to another room which was out of the way and not damp, although i must say the cleaners dont really clean that well as the floors are filthy and they dont believe in cleaning the mildew from the showers! Be careful of the marble stairs as both my husband and i fell down them and have to bruises to show. I asked reception to put it in their accident book but looked blankly at me.
I spoke to the family who moved into our villa and they were only a family of four and had been put in a 1 bed apartment when they booked a two bed so we got kicked out because they were compensated! good for them but not for us as we had to move three times, the manager told us that we could keep our room as we were a late check out but guess what, he had someone coming and we had to get out.
The bar prices were very expensive and the food so no one is encouraged to stay and drink within the resort, a small beer is 4 TL and in the bar down the road you can get a large one for 3.50TL or better still the supermarket is 2.60TL.
I didnt like the bar staff who were there during the day, one tubby one had in my opinion an unhealthy interest in the young girls, cuddling them in a creepy way and another was asking 16 year old girls to meet him at midnight when her their parents had gone to bed.
Turtle Beach resturant saved it for us, Salih and Mehmet were great and very hospitable so we went back six times, the fish and chips is amazing i have never seen such a big piece of fish! they really do care and will go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
Hiseronu, ok if you want to be a brit abroad, neon Benidorm, KAYA village is a must it will almost take you back in time.
Fethiye market on a Tuesday is a great day for haggling and getting some great deals, what ever they say halve it and stick to it, they will give in even if you walk away they will come after you looking hurt but they know they have made a good deal! They love English money so you can get an even better deal as they kiss the queens face.
Over all we did have a good time away from the hotel which was a real let down, we wern't the only ones who were moved lots of people around the pool had their own story to tell, Perdikia Hills needs to sort its self out or people wont want to go.
One last thing, because of the hill and where the resort is you need to get a taxi or Dolmus which when you add it up it would be cheaper to hire a car. First visit to Turkey and will be probably a long time before we go back.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank BristolJeanine
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2010

We stayed on a half board basis but on the last two evenings we decided to eat elsewhere as we found the evening meal at the hotel to be very limited, especially if you have an allergy to gluten, which one of us did. We went to a restaurant called Solo which is very close to the hotel, just down the hill, turn left and it is on the left hand side next to a little shop. The owners were so friendly and obliging and more importantly the food was delicious - they do Turkish or English.

Whilst there all of the 'special' evenings at the hotel were cancelled with no reason given. When we booked the holiday we were promised complimentary wine and fruit in our rooms on arrival, but the hotel claimed they knew nothing about this. The wine and fruit were not forthcoming, whether this was the fault of the hotel or tour operator we have yet to find out!

We went on several excursions with a local company called Evergreen Travel in Hisaronu, we found them to be very good and reliable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Lauren37
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Perdikia appartments which after reading the reviews we had a high expectation. We did however get this on a good deal so would have been disappointed had we paid more!
1 lot of entertainment in 2 weeks but hotel was very quiet while we were there.

The appartments were actually nice ours had a lounge / kitchenette which was useful for drinks in the room & snacks. Fresh towels daily & the occasional artwork with the towels.
As per previous reviews the food was OK but very limited choice & hardly a gastronomic delight! Had much better meals out in the town which we did on quite a number of occasions. The turkish night was good food & entertainment was worth staying at the hotel on that night & would have been worth the cost if you were on self catering. Careful on your last day if half board as we were asked to pay for the meal even though we were not advised of this & I ended up arguing with the manager.
Breakfast was good & typically turkish. Drinks were more expensive than town as you would expect but only serve small beers for mor than the price of large beers elsewhere why?
Garcia was a laugh & Eric was helpful.
Useful library to swap books & hairdriers in rooms.
We have stayed in much better hotels / resorts in Turkey and certainly wouldnt return to this one. Kalkan, Dalyan & Bitez far nicer places to stay although this was an ok base.
The hill was a pain (especially at night) however we knew it was there & therefore cannot really moan about this but it was a fair walk into the main resort and the village of oveacik was just a road with a few bars etc .
The gym was small & not maintained & a bitty grubby & the tennis court an extra charge of 10 lira per hour.
Saw lots of wildlife& their young in the area including lots of lizzards, tortoises, goats, sheep, cows, geese, chickens, ducks, swifts, eagles etc
The actual resort of hisaronu was noisy, neon signs & very british (we like not to be Brits abroad) & isnt on the sea, however olu deniz is a short dolmus away & has beaches (Billys beach is a hidden gem & doesnt attract the entrance fee of the lagoon & has a sandy beach rather than pebble, a free bus & cheaper sunbeds)
Turkish bath in town was great, Kaya Coy village worth a visit as is amazing, Suzanne restaurant & chill out restaurant were excellent for turkish food.
Great resort for paragliding my wife did it with easy rider for £50 although they kept her waiting for 1 1/2 hours at the hotel she said was amazing & got down safely, we did hear someone didnt the next day!
Overally had a good holiday but wouldnt rate as high as previous reviewers.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple