“The Hotel is great” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Wickford, United Kingdom
“The Hotel is great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Ok full review so this may be a bit lengthy - I have children that are 5 and 3 although I was on my own, I feel I can review this for adults only side as well as for families

I travelled on my own 14th-25th Apr 2014. via Thomas Cook.

I stayed on the family side as I was not made aware the 2 hotels had been split. My room when I arrived wasn't that great, I had a plug hanging off the wall my fridge wasnt plugged in or in the right place and telephone wires were sticking out - quite dangerous - however i went straight to reception and informed them after showing photos and they said it will be sorted - by the time i got back to my room I had a servicemen waiting to fix all of these and they were done in no time at all - This to me is a problem sorted quicker than i thought would happen - Well done!

The room - the beds are huge and are very comfortable (I am 6ft 2in and 20st), the room is spacious for two and was great just for me. The bathroom is what you need with a huge rainfall shower head, never found any issues and was a great shower! You get all the shampoos etc as you would expect but i didnt use them. Tv's are good and quite easily turned the Turkish narrative off - but i didnt spend much time in my room for this- Free Safe and free wifi - I had no issues with. Maid service is great and made your room feel welcoming. The balcony is very spacious and I had great views staying in Patara block - this is a good 4 min walk from the main bar - if you have trouble with your mobility I would request rooms closer to reception.

The main bar - is outside and I guess in the high season it is the place to be, the drinks are very well made with the excception of Mojito's - no lime over in Turkey for some reason?? but thats just a small issue as they were still nice and I had my fair share - just like going abroad anywhere the alcohol seems to come first with your mixer being the last 20% of your glass!! But its good - no complaints from me here. Bar Staff to mention - Mustafa, Dincer, Gokhan, Berk very nice well mannered people.

The food - well....i love food and I am not fussy, I also do not expect to go to FOREIGN country and get ENGLISH food - So if you want english stay the hell back in England.

To me the food was amazing, breakfast, Lunch Dinner and snack times were amazing. My usual breakfast if i wasnt hungover and missed it was some 'dippy' eggs and what ever the hell they had on offer to try, cold meats, bread - some of which i had never heard of were delicious.

Lunch was out of this world - fresh salad, smoked salmon, smoked mackerel and cous cous cold meats etc The turkish meatballs were amazing huge and i mean huge Jacket Potatos again I was never left hungry.

Dinner - All meals were on a rotation of a 7 day menu - How anyone can say the food got monotonous is beyond me - i was there for 11 nights so yes i had the overlap but the food was just to good to complain. The place was busy when it was 7-8pm.....this didnt bother me as I didnt have my kids so I didnt need to rush. I also found the food to be hot as well.

All meals are in a buffet style, the better the food the longer the queue - there is loads to go around.....so just try something different....i had a small taster of everything every night.

Sentido Restaurant- now Sentido is the adults...or 16+ side of the complex I was able to have a look and even go to the restaurant to see the difference and barring the octopus there isnt much difference the food maybe a little 'older' than the Lykia but i only ate in there twice a bonus of being able to choose from 2 restaurants I suppose.

So just to add ....remember this is Turkey - not England.....you want English food go to butlins

Entertainment - The first entertainment show I saw was a dance show over at Sentido - this was really really good - im sure it was a ballet but im not that hot up on my dance to say one way or another.....but it was amazing.....and quite rightly the show got a standing ovation.

This is where Sentido falls down - I only saw 2 entertainment advertised for Sentido one the dance and one was a bloke singing (to be fair he was good)but thats it, in 11 nights only 2 acts!

Lykia (family side) had entertainment practically every night untill about 2200, this ranged from fire show (its ok ) to the african dancing (amazing) to a magic show (no dynamo)there was always something for the kids in the early evening but it did all die away a bit to soon for adults and young ones alike - I would still find it hard to not see one child who wasnt enjoying themselves on the dance floor after the entertainment had finished....and the smiles on faces when parents joined them (yes parents joined in!) were great.

Kids club - Now i didnt have my kids with me, but i spoke to a few families and i also spoke to the 4 English girls that work there - all qualified to work with kids - Becky, Kirstie, Amy and Hannah, they get on well with the kids and get everyone involved in something....even if you dont have kids in the evening they make a conscious effort to speak to everyone. I didnt hear one bad review of the club at all.

Escape - Ok I did the paragliding and I need to give a small mention to Abu, I had spoken to Abu throughout the week before i decided i was doing it, because of my size i was worried about it - he assured me and he is a nice bloke and its one thing I will be doing again - Abu thank you!!

Hotel pools - There are around 4-5 pools ranging in size i counted 2 that are for adults only but these are out of the way from the family areas - i never get up to the slides so I cant say how they were.
However the adults only 'infinity' pool and the sentido pools were amazing.....bit cold but thats the time of year
The family pool by the main bar had amazing views and was more than adequate for the amount of people there - in high season I would say this would get quite busy and be small.....but the beach is right there!!!!

Shop - overly expensive as you would expect on a resort 10TL for a pack of cigs 14TL for a pack of crisps??

Sentido Spa - I had a Turkish Bath over at Sentido - AMAZING! 100% fully recommended - yes you will pay about 35 quid BUT i had one in Fethiye for 30TL and it was no where near as good
I do totally recommend this - they ask for 180TL i said no 130 and ill come now and they agreed so you can haggle.

Excursions -

4X4 - 100% let down, false advertisment and misrepresented - i complained and got 33% refund - again to me thats done and dusted - but i dont recommend it - maybe we were just unlucky.

Fethiye by night - now read the excursion list before you book - rightly or wrongly you stop at a few shops - one being an opticians to get 'proper' sunglasses (still about 100 quid but cheaper than uk) you also stop of at a gold shop and a leather shop - clearly some kind of you scratch our back motion going on but if its what you want you will like them, if its not....you'll find it pointless - hoowever you do stop at this turkish delight shop and the lady grows her own spices - i brought chilli garlic, super fiery chilli, meat marinade, lemon pepper, bbq goulash and chicken marinade and i haggled on the price!
The shops are great and the fish market is awesome!
The only reason I done this excursion is because its 6 quid and thats a return coach trip - cheaper than a taxi.

Dalyan Delight - one of the better excursions i did - mud baths and sulphar baths and then to Iztuzu Beach for some sun bathing - this i do recommend.

The last one I did was the all day cruise - this was hit and miss - lovely day on a boat and i eventually caught the sun - some of the places that we visited werent exactly the cleanest beaches if thats what they are called......but the sea was as clear as i have ever seen! i would recommend but try and go elsewhere and not through thomas cook.

There are some building works going on and I was not informed about this by Thomas Cook and I will be asking why. That being said it never directly affected my holiday until i laid on the beach.....I believe by the high season this work will be completed so please do not be put off by this at all.

In conclusion, I will return to this hotel without a doubt hopefully with my kids, but because of the heat I dont think I would return later than april.

This hotel is really good and you will enjoy yourselves - The only thing I wouldnt do....is go with Thomas Cook, because all the boats no what rooms are Thomas cook and you can only book through them...a bit cheeky and much more expensive.

Room Tip: If you ask for a high floor room its only about 3 maybe 4 levels high so dont expect to much. If yo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
16 Thank Cakeious

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

we (myself, partner and older teenager) just had a week here and we loved it! though others have critised the 'split' nature of the resort (adults only one side), we enjoyed this as it was good to take a breather from the young kids, who in the evenings are everywhere! We were particularly impressed with the family room which had lots of room for us, with a degree of privacy between both sides of the room (good for travelling with an older child). The food was lovely...yes, it's busy but the staff are friendly and if you don't go on the dot of opening time, it's not too bad. We also loved the bar by the beach (with burgers and snacks) and can't fault the good value of the all -in package. Do go out and about if you can; horseriding was great and a trip into the local towns is good too. We'd go back! p.s there is building work, but it's mainly down at the Marina restuarant and not enough to put the dampers on a good holiday.

Room Tip: all rooms on the family side of the resort could be a bit noisy, due to the disco's in the main...
3 Thank oldrocker66
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Headlines for the review
Beautiful location such a picturesque part of Turkey falls down after that due to management
Food decidedly average
Not enough space for the number of guests
Not enough service staff for the number of guests
Rooms very average and cleaning is not great due to minimal numbers of staff again
Great fun park for the kids
Some of the staff need charm school training particularly ones behind the bar
First all inclusive I've been too where at times of the day I was hungry due to unavailability of food.
This place has the potential to be great just run badly, this is an early season review and I don't know whether they up their game in full season. Clientele were very everyday England, so was a bit Brits on tour. Liberty bought this place a little while ago and it was stated have invested 50million euros into the place. I think some of the money is being misspent as they really miss the mark in some places. It has stacks of potential as lovely location and surroundings but there are definitely better places in Turkey to be found. Lots of people may compliment this place but really I think the management just don't get how to deliver a good holiday. The food was very limited and becomes monotonous, no imagination to the menu unlike other Turkish hotels.

Room Tip: Lots of issues with the room quality so good luck
6 Thank Aspiringmystrycust
Liberty-Hotels-Lykia, Genel Müdür at Liberty Hotels Lykia, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Merhaba (Hello),

first of all I want to apologize for the late reply. A lot has changed since your last stay here and we are sure that we will make you happy on your next stay here with us.

Bolton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Beautiful place, breathtaking location. Service first class, food excellent, facilities great. But the best thing is the location - perfect views which ever way you look. We got back 8 days ago, and yes there were building works going on, but it didnt affect us at all. Its a large complex, and easy to get away from the work. Its quite a hilly complex, so not ideal for anyone with walking difficulties. Having said that, my daughter who has mobility problems managed ok with the help of her walker, and the "happy train". Been all inclusive last few years, and this is the only place Im desperate to go back to.
It was a fantastic holiday, but the absolute highlight for us was the paragliding with the on site company ESCAPE. We are 2 adults and 3 kids, and we all did it. My little one is only 8, and she loved it. We didnt think my daughter with mobility problems would be able to manage it, as you have to be able to run off the edge of the mountain to launch yourself off, but the staff were superb with her, and gave her all the assistance she needed. It was a once in a lifetime experience for us, and we're really grateful to all the ESCAPE staff, especially Abu, who helped us to manage to do this as a family. We bought the photos and videos, and its lovely watching them back - just an amazing experience.

1 Thank Alison M
Stoke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I can't find fault with this, we have just returned and spent a week here. Absolutely gorgeous. There were 6 of us, myself and my husband and our 4 children ranging from 4-11 years. The scenery and views and setting are breath-taking. The food was so very fresh and tasty and a wide variety of choice,. Activities both daytime and evening were great. We had an interconnecting room, fantastic. Staff were very helpful and friendly. My husband had a nasty accident and had to have reconstructive surgery on his big toe in hospital - the staff and general public and locals could not do enough to help. Even the General Mgr pushed my husband around briefly in a wheelchair! Genuine 5 star resort and I would definitely return. Can't recommend it highly enough.

3 Thank Cajja
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Booked through thomas cook - were assured we would receive 2 interconnecting rooms, with 2 separating rooms in EACH - arrived to find we did indeed have 2 interconnecting rooms, however each room only had one room each. Given that this was our primary criterion for booking, needless to say we were desperately disappointed. It meant we had to pack our 4 young children into a single room, and while that may work for some, it didn't for us, and is not at all what we paid for.

Combine this with the fact that the weather was poor (nobody's fault, obviously, and an occupational hazard of booking a holiday in april), plus the fact that there was building work going on all around the resort (again, probably an off-season hazard, but one that thomas cook neglected to inform us of), and the scene was set for a less than optimal holiday.

On the plus side: the hotel is in a fantastic location - sandwiched between amazing mountains and the sea. The kids clubs were great, and gave us a chance to decompress. Food was copious, and reasonable quality - but did get a bit samey after a while - perhaps once the season gets into swing, and the other restaurants are built/open, then there might be a little more variety. Children's paradise is excellent - a large variety of waterslides and pools, including a very safe shallow area with an artificial beach - perfect for toddlers. Worth mentioning also that ALL of the pools were very cold - again, i accept it was early in the season, but it would have been nice if more effort had been made to heat at least one or two of them.

Complained about the accommodation situation on site repeatedly to both Thomas Cook reps, and hotel - none offered any reasonable alternative. Was only notified of official complaint procedure when checking out of hotel.

Room Tip: beware of travel agents overselling!
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nixzip

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We have stayed at Lykia World Olu Deniz with our young family on at least 4 occasions although haven't been there for a few years. We returned as the resort was available for Easter and our youngest hadn't stayed there. When we booked the holiday, we were lead to believe that we were booking exactly what we had previously but in the interim, the resort has been bought by Liberty Hotels who had made some very fundamental changes to the offering. Previously there were a number of swimming pools to choose from, two buffet restaurants, one overlooking the sea, and a number of a la carte restaurants available for a small additional fee. When we arrived the week before Easter, the resort was only partially open, with building work going on everywhere, with building materials and noise all day long. This restricted the choice of restaurants as the Marina restaurant by the sea was still being refurbished and the Turkish restaurant opened a couple of days before we left, but even more fundamental is the division of the resort into over / under 16 areas.

The renamed Residence Hotel and it's surroundings, including two large pools are effectively over 16 only as well as the Italian and Steak restaurant were open to over 16's only. This left one indoor buffet restaurant and a small swimming pool available for the masses of families with children. if you didn't get a sunbed by the pool first thing in the morning, forget it and a table in the restaurant for dinner at 7pm, then you spent more time looking for a table than actually eating. I likened the whole dining experience in the Village restaurant to prison food. You have to stand in never ending queues with people digging their plates in your back and ended up with cold food by the time you sat down, that was if you didn't have a small child run into you with a plate of spag bol.

There is a waterpark (Childrens' Paradise) which, thankfully, our children didn't tire of, but there was a severe shortage of tubes for the slides. We walked around the resort one afternoon and there are so many activities standing empty. There was a guy minding the archery with not a single person taking part. We enquired but were told that children could only participate for one hour per week (Wednesday at 11am!) with the remaining time set aside for adults and the over 16 pools were completely empty.

Liberty Hotels presumably know their market and intend to market this resort to couples and families alike but be warned, if you have been here previously and are drawn back to it because of the expanse of the resort and endless activities, then you may want to rethink your holiday as it is not like this anymore. On the upside, the Chinese restaurant was pretty good as was the Turkish when it finally opened.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are certainly worth the extra money.
8 Thank Sue N