“Lovely Lykia”

Ranked #15 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lykia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I started going here 10 years ago and you do get what you pay for... My children love it, it is a paradise for them and I get a good relaxing break from it too. If I have a complaint it's that I eat too much because it's all very nice, so I promise not to over indulge this year. When I worked in travel I would get great deals but have found it's very expensive to book with a tour operator, so I book my flights, the hotel directly and my transfer separately and I travel alone with 2 children. When coming out of dalaman airport our private car awaits, we get to the hotel, check in, leave bags and when heading back from dinner the coach arrives with the rest of the passengers. I also save at least a third doing it this way...
The adult only pools are tranquil, the children's paradise are just great for kids, you just have to be careful of wasps there are a lot we all got stung last year. The rooms can be far away from the restaurant but we quite enjoyed the walk in the mornings and evenings to and from along the beach. The drinks are real, the food is cooked in front of you, I would just say use the alcohol gel which is everywhere as not everyone is hygienic and the amount of human traffic they have all season is bound to fetch illness... We were I'll a few years ago but not stopped us going again.
I would definitely recommend if you have kids, the kids club is lovely my son will not come out of it I have to drag him out! The staff are always polite and can't do enough... Yes expensive but you feel that it's been money well spent, just book independently.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank cazzashirley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We have just returned from having an amazing time! To clarify this, we met some amazing people and they made the holiday special for me, my better half and two sons aged 7 and 11.
About the complex...... On arrival after a 2.45 minutes transfer (the bus driver got lost twice but still asked for a tip) we had a child of 5 or 6 run up to the bus saying "this place is amazing and I don't want to go home". A great starting point!
We get to reception where a women is arguing about charges to her room for something she didn't have.
When we are served, we are told the room isn't ready but can take a seat and someone will get us in 15 minutes. Half an hour later, I ask if its ready and the receptionist starts trying to find our room - mid way through being served, a Russian man arrives at the counter, talks to the person serving me and they both walk off together leaving thinking I've arrived in organised chaos. While I'm now waiting for someone else to serve me / give me a room key, I'm listening to someone else moan about their room and requesting another. They were told the complex was full!!!
I eventually get told we are in room O157 and we are put on to a formula 1 golf cart. (This ride was fun but the UK health and safety police would be going mental)
Before I talk about the room, I should point out that when the holiday was booked with Thomas Cook, we requested a sea view and was told that while the hotel will try to oblige, we could end up with a garden room.
The room = Old, tired, chipped and broken furniture, wires showing from the lights in the wardrobe, fridge didn't work, two single beds pushed together with single duvets for me and my partner to sleep on and a good % of the coat hangers in the wardrobe were broken so we could not hang all of our clothes up. My children were on sofa beds in the same room and there was no where for their clothes at all. Once on the ground floor balcony, there was no sea view and the garden view was there if you leaned over and looked left. The actual view was of a concrete corridor and stair well. Having stayed in lots of 5 star hotels throughout Europe, America, Africa and Asia, this room is 2 star at the most! Having paid well over £3,000 for 1 week, I was absolutely gutted!!! From an accommodation point of view, I feel totally ripped off and feel that Thomas Cook have used creative Licence to the max.
It's worth pointing out that I didn't venture back up to reception as I'd already heard that the complex was totally full.

There are lots of pools in the complex but there is only one main pool that children can use! This pool doesn't have enough sun beds and 90% of it is too deep for young children - eg under 140cm.

I've covered all the negatives and now for the good bits......
It seems that a lot of the rooms have been done up. We were obviously unlucky as we spoke to people that said their rooms were amazing. I still feel ripped off having paid over £3000 for 1 week but it appears that we just drew a short straw in terms of our room.

The restaurants and food are vast and the choices are great. I can't imagine that anyone would struggle to get a good meal. There are wasp issues in the main restaurant and my partner was stung on her neck which wasn't a nice experience for her.

Where this complex comes into its own is the activities laid on for the kids...... So many choices.

My two, played football each morning and through this made some great friends. As a group, all the kids wanted to do for the rest of the time was go to the aqua park and play on the slides. They also did the jet ski / banana boat / parasailing which they loved. At 70 euros, I think it was actually good value and the instructors were great with the kids.

The evening entertainment is excellent and all of the staff in entertainment, sports, food and drinks are friendly and helpful.

You can tell by my write up that I'm pee'd off by how poor the room was. I've marked it as a 1 out of 5 on here but that is only because there isn't the option to give a minus figure.

That said, I would return because of everything else. I.E my kids loved it and like most parents, I enjoy them enjoying themselves.

If you have children, they are sure to have a great time. My only recommendation would be to refuse room O157.

Assuming liberty lykia read this, at the very least put a double bed in the room and fix the fridge.

Assuming Thomas Cook read this - your star rating v price is so inappropriate it's unreal. I'm sure Harriet Green ( Thomas Cook CEO) wouldn't tolerate this so why should you expect your paying customers to?

• Stayed August 2014
20 Thank Neil R
Reading
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

I could not agree more with "familyman abroad" and his honest appraisal. Thomas cook are selling this hotel as something it is not. There is a lot of positives about the hotel. The children's paradise is amazing with loads of slides and a lovely shady pool the evening entertainment is fantastic and a very high quality and the rooms although basic are very clean and very quiet so although the dance music goes on well into the night you can hear nothing from the lovely air-conditioned quiet rooms and the beds were amazing really comfortable. The food choice is good with lots of traditional Turkish food to sample. The wasps and flys are a big problem in the restaurant and mean some of the food is not touched as it is covered in insects. We found the staff to clear away very efficiently probably a bit too efficiently as we had a couple of occasions when food we had just got was taken away while we were up getting a drink. This meant we had to eat in shifts to guard our table but fair play to them that they were trying to clear quickly to stop insects gathering at tables. The main pool is packed and to get a sunbed you need to be there by 8am or people have to sit on the concrete steps around it which looked awful, the adult only pools are wonderful and very quiet in August when most people travel with kids but there are good kids clubs so if you are planning to use the kids clubs then the lack of pool space would not be a problem. Our children did do a couple of mornings but we found the children paradise to be so enjoyable new did not use them much. The staff are not friendly especially at the bar but they are OK just need a bit more customer service training. The bar staff are slow but I feel this was on purpose as it is an all inclusive resort and they don't want to serve too many drinks so I think have been told to work slowly. The Thomas cook rep said it was not a 5* resort based on luxury which is definitely not as luxury could never be used to describe this hotel. The 5* rating given by Thomas cook is for facilities of which there are tons although not all included so your bill could easily add up very quickly. Only one restaurant is included so you are looking at £50- 80 supplements per family to eat in the others and they were very empty so everyone is herded into the man one. However the views are beautiful from this restaurant and food served nearly all day. The Thomas cook reps were dreadful so if you are visiting with TC be warned. I would expect this hotel will be downgraded for next year which will hopefully mean it is more affordable as they are currently charging 5* prices for at best is a 4*.

Room Tip: We were in block P which was very quiet in the evenings and not far to walk to children paradise so...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank insearchofaholiday
SentidoLykiaResort, General Manager at Liberty Hotels Lykia, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Merhaba / Hello,
Many thanks for choosing our hotel and country to spend your holiday at..
Our thoughts concerning your initial comments :
• You are right about your opinion that the pools are too crowded during the months july/august. We are considering of building a new pool for summer 2015.
• The star rating in our country is maintained by our state and our official rating is 5 *.( I would like to kindly request you to view the 5 * rated Hilton London Hyde Park )
• You are awaiting for a price reduction. Our partner Thomas Cook who is due to take all the risks; which means that our English guests are accommodated for reasonable prices. I would like to recommend you to book early.
We do guarantee that you will not encounter any difficulties with the pool with your next visit.
Looking forward to say welcome again..

Yours Sincerely,
Mehmet Biçer
gm@libertyhotelslykia.com
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

When i got to the hotel, i got greeted well and we checked in and was taken to our room straight away. The room was really clean and spacious. We were in the k block, in the family suite. We straight away went to the pool, there was a lot of people there but it didn't matter because of the space there was you didn't have sit on a sun bed you could sit on the stone steps on the side, the pool is cold but really cooling because of how hot it is. The bars are amazing especially the beach bar its more quite than the other bar and you can look right out to sea. The kids paradise is the best part, the slides are amazing, you can easily get a sun bed. You can get food and drink there as well. If you cant be bothered to walk up there, there is a bus which goes up there every 20 minutes but it doesn't seem that long. In the resort there is a market a handbag shop, a photo shop where there are photographers all around the resort taking pictures to remember your time a lykia world, there is also a souvenir shop a craft making shop and many more. The staff there are a great help. I went on the rhino boat trip it was the best activity on there by far, you had control of your own boat and you went to some of olu deniz's best landmarks such as blue lagoon. I recommend you to go there its wonderful, i'm defiantly going back next year, worth every penny.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lily k
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We’re just back from our 9th year in Lykia – it never fails to disappoint. This year we brought 2 other families with us and they were all amazed.

The investment made in the last year has brought about big improvements particularly in the sea-front walkway and beach. The new blue and yellow plastic floating jetty was great on wavy days.

The new “Sentido" is impressive. We had some doubts about free alcohol all-day and about splitting the site into 2 parts, but all the changes seem to work. Restaurants in Marina and Sentido have been modernised and expanded, with lots of new space and air-conditioned areas. Gone, thankfully, are the queues for dinner tables. We thought the food quality, which was always top class, was even better in 2014.

The urgent issue to be addressed is the imbalance in swimming pools - 3 for adults and 1 for families. "Village" pool was always overcrowded and very noisy while the 3 adult pools were often underused. Other smaller things to be addressed: The lack of care of some of the staff managing the children’s big slides and … no bacon at breakfast this year (we do like our bacon and eggs!).

Apart from its unique setting under Babadag and the magical sunsets, Lykia's key ingredient is the staff. They are wonderful, hardworking and friendly, interacting with no sense of hierarchy and lacking the "western disease" of inflated ego and self-centredness.

Among lots of people who could be named, a big thanks to Amy in the Baby Club, Selda in Reception who addressed a potentially big problem before we arrived, Vadet in Customer Relations who did likewise with another issue upon arrival.

Don’t listen to the whingers who find fault with everything (we go to Lykia to escape these people). Go and experience it for yourself. Lykia is a wonderful place for a family holiday; we are already planning year 10 … roll on summer 2015 …

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Saidhbh-like-5
SentidoLykiaResort, Yönetici at Liberty Hotels Lykia, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Merhaba / Hello 

Congratulations for the 9th time! 
We thank you very much for taking your time to share your impressions & comments about our hotel. We thank you for choosing our hotel again for your holiday and we are so glad that you liked all the changes, had a brilliant holiday with your friends and appreciated the investments that have been done.

Please make sure that all your precious comments and issues that you have addressed will be considered. Thank you very much for mentioning our valuable staff and special thanks will be shared with Amy, Selda & Tamer.

For your next visit please book in advance and take the advantage for better price for a bigger room with a sea view.

Hope you can make it from 10th to 50th and we look forward to welcoming you again
With our warm & kind regards

Oakham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Where to start. I have rated this hotel as average overall, but there is a lot going on here I feel you should be aware of before you book.

This holiday is being mis-represented by Thomas Cook, (in my opinion) which is a shame as my first major comment is that the hotel managment where/are superb, once they new of our issues. Here lies the problem, thier staff and most certainly Thomas Cook Reps are not informing them of whats going on. In fact, they are delibritly shielding them from any `unhappy' customer.

This is NOT A FIVE STAR HOTEL. Even the management acknowledge this fact. The complex is split (recently changed under new managment) with the 16 plus Sentido and its 7 adult only pools to either end of the site.(you can of course make use of these but children are not allowed anywhere near them) In the centre is 'Holiday Village'. This is where the majority of the 2,000 holiday-makers are forced to cram around ONE pool. Oh yes, there is another pool, up the hill, via hotel bus, within the 'Paradise Water Slide Park'. But as for the 'Numerous swimming pools' detailed under Facilities, only if you are over 16 please. During the day you will find these pools (some with kiddy slides) to be quiet, empty and perfect, IF YOU DONT HAVE CHILDREN!!

Please note, all pool photos were taken at the same time of day.

Meal times were a joke and a nightmare. Due to the swarms of wasps early evening, most people arrive at dusk when they quieten down a bit, only to find they must fight for a table, then they will need to get it cleared and re-laid and then keep guard while you shuttle food back and forth. Dirty plates pile up due to a combination of 'lack of enough staff' and 'lazy, with an attitude staff'. This escalates the wasp problem who just love the way all this food is left out for them.

This hotel complex is trying to be two things at once and in our opinion, failing all round. The new owners have made changes (we have been enlightened by some long time visitors) which has up-set the 'old faithfull' and riled the new visitors expecting five star treatment. Yes, its big, it has a lot going on (a lot of which you must pay extra for, not mentioned) and the location is superb. The bay is gorgeous and a saving grace, especially if you are not prepared to fight for a sun lounger, early morning, around the one noisey, very busy pool. But, its not right to be sold as a five star hotel when it is clearly not.

I could now go on at length but I must make further mention of the hotel manager and his staff who went out of their way to make our last three days something like a family holiday. The first seven days and nights were not as we had hoped and certainly not as portraid.

I must also single out the Thomas Cook Representative Superviser who was inaffective, rude, ignorant and unfortunatley, quite stupid.

For the record, we do know the difference. Turkey, and the area around Belek has some of the most amazing five star hotels, where service and standards are second to non. Not like the Liberty at all.

I hope the managment are able to pull it back in line but I feel they are on a hiding to nothing in its present set up.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be similar but the sea view rooms are the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Familymanabroad
Merhaba / Hello,
Firstable many apologies to you and your family due to the pool troubles which you have experienced.
• We think that the real reason for your anger towards us is the +16 concept at the Sentido part. We would like to underline that the +16 age section was a real must to be created and finally we did this.
• You are right concerning the pool issue, we will definitely solve this problem for summer 2015 as the pools are highly occupied during the months july & august.
• The behavior of the Thomas Cook reps has been reported to authorized persons at Thomas Cook .
• I do share your comments about the dinners for 25 %. Next week we will publish a video of the progress at the Marina showing the before and after process so that all our guests can watch the developments. We do thank you for warning us about the dirty tables. We will pay much more attention to these matters hereafter.
Despite of everything we do want to return our thanks for advising our country and Belek..
Herewith we do hope that you will give us another chance..
Looking forward to say welcome again..

Yours Sincerely,
Mehmet Biçer
gm@libertyhotelslykia.com
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had an amazing holiday at lykia! The hotel is located at a beautiful resort with some amazing views of the mountains, sea and sunsets!

Rooms were all spotless and provide everything you need including a fridge refilled with bottled water and soft drinks. There was a huge selection of food available at the marina hotel with was all delicious ( and Im a really fussy eater, especially abroad!)

What made this holiday really special was the amazing entertainment on the nights, with beautiful dance shows at the outdoor amphitheatre and the pirate show around the pool. It's honestly been the best entertainment I've seen from a hotel and some of the shows I would have paid money to see! Then after the show, there was always a theamed disco party at the bar, including wild Wild West and lykia mania white theme! There was always a full dance floor thanks to the amazing animation team, especially Maria, Hayley, Brogan and Polina who made sure everyone had a great night, and we're super friendly!

The animation team were amazing at keeping everyone entertained during the day! I'm 17 and traveled with my family and 10 year old step brother, but with all the activities I never got bored. I especially loved water polo with Maria and the daily pool games including the Olympic Games with the animation team! There was also a foam Zumba party at the beach bar and a pool party with we're great fun!

Overall it was an amazing holiday thank you lykia world!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Leah C
SentidoLykiaResort, Manager at Liberty Hotels Lykia, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Merhaba / Hello 

Thank you very much for taking your time to share your impressions about your stay and facilities especially about the entertainment team. We thank and congratulate you & your family for choosing our hotel for your holiday.

We are so glad to know that you had an amazing time and enjoyed our day and night activities. Your special thanks will be shared with the related staff.

In your next visit, please do not forget to take daily tours to know more about the area and take in the vibrant colors and locally infused ambiance as you wander around Fethiye’s fruit, vegetable and fish market.
Looking forward to welcoming you again
With our warm & kind regards