“Better than the reviews, best holiday ever!”

Club Belcekiz Beach Hotel
Ranked #7 of 121 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I stayed at the Becekiz Beach Club (BBC) for two weeks at the beginning of October with my wife and family.

Summary
-------------

This is without a doubt the best holiday I have ever had and the best hotel (overall) that I have ever stayed in. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated like royalty and the facilities and staff are beyond excellent.

I have read some reviews saying ‘not platinum’ and obviously this only applies to a certain holiday company so perhaps not relevant on Tripadvisor however addressing that for a moment, if I compare this with platinum offerings in other places I have stayed (such as Cyprus) then it compares extremely well, if not better – personal opinion of course (as is the rest of the review)

Location
------------

The BBC is located in Olu Deniz and is the only hotel with a beachfront location which is a huge bonus. Although named after the Belcekiz Beach, it does not own it privately with the actual owners being the government. The only issue this provides is a charge for sun lounger hire but that is not a big issue in such a reasonably priced country (and of course the hotel has excellent faciltiies as well). To get round this I took to subathing on the sea wall for free

The main attraction of the beach area is the paragliders who manically throw themselves of the mountains that surround Olu Deniz. They are a lot of fun to watch as they land constantly on the beach throughout the day however you need to keep your wits about you as their final approach is a little kamikaze and they do land at some speed on the beach / promenade.

The beach is fronted by a row of shops and restaurants that sell reasonably priced food and tourist products as well as allowing the usual booking of tourist trips and activities. There is absolutely no hassle at all from any of these and all you normally get when passing is a friendly greeting and an invitation in which is easily declined with no offence being taken. There is also a street next to the BBC which leads up to the smaller hotels in the area. This is also lined with shops and restaurants and an Azda (yes that’s how they spell it) which pretty much caters for all your tourist needs during your stay. Both streets are prettily lit at night and have a very continental feel especially with the music coming from the various bars.

The beach ends at a sea wall and some steps up to the road at the eastern end but at the western end you have a small bus turn around point which is excellent for picking up the little dolmus buses to nearby Hisaronu and Fethiye. Hisaronu is a tourist location about 10 mins away with more of a ‘mountain town meets costa del sol feel’ and Fethiye is the local ‘town’ with a Tuesday fruit and veg market that needs to be seen to be believed (who knew you could grow cabbages to the size of basketballs!)

At the Western end of the beach is the Blue Lagoon. A lake with sunbeds around it and a further, private section of beach. You have to pay to get in to it and although not extortionate, I didn’t feel that it offered anything more than the rest of the beach or the hotel.

There are no water sports on Belcekiz Beach due to the treacherous nature of the sea. It is worth noting that the sea gets deep about 2m from the beach and there are some very strong currents so swimmers need to beware. For this reason Thompson do not run boat trips starting from this location.

The Hotel
--------------

The hotel itself is a ‘holiday village’ which basically means it is constructed and laid out in a ‘villa’ style complex around a central hub (there are rules about keeping buildings low in this area which keep it looking more attractive that the high rise costa resorts). The various buildings are a terra cotta colour and really make it feel like you are walking through a ‘village’ especially with the tree lined walkways and centra courtyards. These also offer some blessed relief from the welcome but relentless Turkish sunshine.

All of the common areas (pool, lobby, courtyard, paths etc) are absolutely spotless. I don’t know how they do it with the amount of olive trees and falling leaves etc but they manage to keep it incredibly clean – a huge tick on my list for a destination – and I was extremely impressed by this.

The pool location is the hub of everything and contains a large pool as well as a jacuzzi pool. There are good number of beds around the pool with a quieter, garden area nearby for additional sun bathing. There is a fully covered area next to the pool which houses the snack bar, pool bar and a large covered seating area with tables and chairs that offer shelter when things get a bit toasty outside. There are also tea / coffee / water / juice / slushie facilities here which we made extensive use of during our stay.

On the way to the pool is a covered area with pool, table tennis, a small shop, barbers and turkish bath .. all worth a visit.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are all held in the main buffet restaurant and again this is attractive and spotlessly clean at all times. It is at an elevated position above the pool which provides a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains and a very welcome cool breeze. At night the ceiling is rolled back to provide an open air experience and a lovely view of the stars. To the rear of the main restaurant there is an a la carte restaurant and a ‘plaza bar’ which faces out to sea and is always lively at night with music until the early hours and often entertainment.

The Rooms
----------------

The rooms are well appointed and presented in excellent condition. As this is a village style there are no ‘sea view’ rooms but all rooms have a balcony, the dimensions of which depend on where they are in the building. My only slight niggle with this is that the hotel are currently growing trees up to each balcony. I believe that the reason for this is that they over hang paths and so are not always private however as one of our rooms had a view of the mountains it seems a shame to lose that but I guess it is one or the other depending on preference.

The rooms are air conditioned (which is very welcome) however this is a little old and rattles a bit. Not a problem for me who will take cool over noisy any time but may bother some people.

The bathroom is excellent and heated which is very comfortable (worth shutting the door at night though to keep things cool in the room)

Usual facilities in the room such as television (why would you watch this with Olu Deniz outside!!!), a safe (£1.50 per day), hair dryer etc and tea and coffee making faciltiies.

Another point to note is that the bed is VERY firm. I have a back problem and this caused me some issues however for the average person I am sure it would be very comfortable and provide a good nights sleep.

Despite the points above I should point out that overall I was VERY happy with the room and the house keeping service was fantastic.

The Food and Drink
---------------------------

I guess the main concern of an all inclusive and there are no issues here. The buffet is served in an air conditioned room and offers a fantastic choice of constantly changing items and some staples. Breakfast is a mix of continental / cereals and fruit / freshly cooked omelettes and eggs / bread etc and a wide range of fruit juices and coffees and obviously as much of each as you want.

Lunch is a buffet of salad and hot and cold dishes / specialities of the day and dinner is the same. There are also alternative food options at the pool snack bar throughout the day so you can basically eat yourself silly if you wish.

The quality of the food is outstanding. All of the fruit and veg is beyond what we would call ‘organic’ in the uk and is delicious. The meat dishes are laden with HUGE chunks of quality meat and the sauces are fantastic.

The juices etc are all first class and compliment the dinners well.

All in all this is certainly the best buffet restaurant I have eaten in, anywhere in the world and could easily be the best hotel food I have ever eaten full stop.

The Staff
------------

I would not normally take the time to separate out the staff but at this hotel you have to. Simply put I have never had better service.

Most of the staff are teenagers but they are run with an iron hand and their service is unparallelled. From constantly refilling drinks to the perfect waiter service at dinner they work from the early hours of the morning until very late at night and always greet you with a smile (often a hug) and make you feel like you are in their home as an honoured guest. I don’t know what other people expect but for me, the staff here have spoilt me permanently and I will struggle when comparing other locations to this.

All of the staff are drilled in their roles and never seem to stop working at any time. The management are very visible as well (managers cocktail night was a nice touch) and circle like eagles looking for the slightest error or drop in service. All in all a truly fantastic service.

The entertainments team deserve a particular mention here. I have never seen a team so friendly, so engaged in what they are doing and so dedicated to enhancing their guests stay. Air and Al are two of the best staff members I have seen in a hotel and they made the whole experience that little bit better still (do a you tube search for the Belcekiz Beach Club Dance – makes me smile even now when I think of staff members dancing on the roof of the pool bar)

Overall
----------

Every facet of this hotel is at the highest levels of quality. Everyone is different but if you are like me (how would you know ) then I would recommend it to you and everyone I care about. Judging by the other reviews on this site I am not alone and also by the number of repeat visitors that were there I don’t think that the hotel needs my best wishes for future success but I will give them anyway!

Thanks BBC for an amazing holiday – I cant wait to see you again.

Quick Tips
---------------

1. The truck safari to the fisheries and Araxas is a really nice day out with great views of the mountains

2. The mudbaths at Dalyan are a lot of fun and should be combined with a river trip to Turtle beach

3. The airport at Dalaman charges OUTRAGEOUS prices - (2 coffees and 2 fanta's from the pub - £25!!! AVOID!!!)

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
6  Thank Chris E
Write a ReviewReviews (1,915)

Reviewed 3 October 2010

just returned from another holiday at the belcekiz beach,we went there sept 09,and again sept 10,although everything was just as good perhaps did`nt enjoy it as much as last year,maybe it was because we new what was coming,eg;food,entertainment ect,as everything was the same as last year,the staff were`nt quite as good,quite a few struggled to understand you,maybe it was because we went abit later and some of the regular staff had returned home as most of them are students,but i would certanley recomend it ,food, cleanliness,was spot on,great location,right on the beach.you can eat all day long if you want to,from 7.30 in the morning to midnight.if it is a relaxing holiday with good food,very clean rooms friendly staff,that your after then give the belcekiz a try i don`t think you will be dissapointed.

2  Thank stokiepaul
Reviewed 3 October 2010

We spent our second week at the hotel after a cruise on Thomson Celebration it took nearly 3 hours for the transfer from Marmaris when the guide suggested that we tip the coach driver my husband said to me " I'll give him a tip Drive Faster" as when we left the port all of the other coaches that left after us all passed us on the road.
We liked our room it was in the annex across the road from reception we had a large terrace and a communal sitting area outside of the room.There was plenty of space to put your belongings and the refreshments tray was constantly filled up. We had the music channel on our t.v. and our teenage son watched the Disney Channel a lot as it was cool in the room he could'nt stand the heat at the resort. I asked my husband where are we going on holiday next year? His reply was well it won't be Turkey in August it's far too hot.There were tennis courts nearby but it cost about £ 7 to hire one we did'nt bother beause of the heat.
The staff were great nothing was a bother for them.
The Animation,s team could get a bit loud but they just wanted the guests to have a good time.
I paid around 15 lira for a blow dry at the hotel salon.
My husband used the gym a lot he seemed happy with it.
If you stay here take up the invite of the Sunset Photo the photographers are quite good they spend about an hour taking snaps of you around the pool area on an evening then on the beach but beware they make you lie down on the stones ( it hurts) and plodge throught the waves too ha ha!
We liked the food , Sunday dinner was fab! The curry night was a bit disapointing as most of it was chicken.
You can go on a trip to Lykia World on a mini bus from the hotel it's only 10 mins away
and try your hand at scuba diving for £38 lunch's included it's a good day out Karen the rep will book it for you if you just want to go as a spectator it's £21.
The Plaza bar was great you never got tired of going there each evening the drinks were kept flowing only thing was a limited choice and you could'nt get a pint of lager just a half. Cocktails were not incuded in the package a bit of a disapointment after being on the cruise for the 1st week where cocktails were flowing and you could get a pint of Strongbow in some bars there was no cider available at the hotel.
The ice creams were lovely at 3 pm from the snack bar the food was nce from there too as we never made breakfast at the restaurant so it was brunch most days.
The blue lagoon's worth a visit you can walk it or take the bus from the hotel that takes you to sugar beach my son bought a can of Red Bull there it cost 8 lira,we walked if you enter to the right you don't pay but if you go to the left you pay the toll charge.
Take the bus to the market on a tuesday it's huge!
Well we may go back here again when it's a bit cooler. I noticed someone commented on the dress code we took our cruise wear onto this hotel but hardly wore any of it as it was too hot in fact fella's were wearing shorts on formal night on the ship...just too hot!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Milller3
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Before me and my husband went to Turkey I was reading the reviews about Belcekiz Beach Hotel and everything I discovered was absolutely correct. I couldn't fault the hotel and without any doubt WILL be making a booking to return back to stay at this beautiful hotel. Nothing was too much for the staff and was made totally welcome. I would say this hotel is the equvalent to being in paradise. I also would like to say they deserve every gold medal they have won. Service was brilliant, food was to perfection and location was spot on!! All in all outstanding.

2  Thank Lynette49
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Just returned from a Cruise on Thomson Celebration and then a weeks stay in Belcekez Hotel, Olu Deniz. It was overall a great holiday.

When tour operators rate hotels I am not sure how they come to their decisions.
Do they rate an hotel in line with other hotels in that Country or on the response from customers? This hotel rates itself as a 5star. Thomson give it 4star but I agree it is not worthy of Platinum. However, compared to other hotels in less developed Countries,
I think that 4star overall is a fair assessment.

The room was fine, maid service great (even better after we gave her a £10 note),
Bar service brilliant, you didn't have to wait until your glass was empty before the very friendly waiters came to your table. Unlike Cuba where they do nothing without expecting a tip, the waiters at this hotel were not constantly touting for tips. Instead there are tip boxes spread around the resort. We took Sterling, Turkish Lira and Euros - all currency is acceptable.

The evening entertainment is mediocre (like many hotels) but they try very hard.
There is a disco every night and the staff join in Turkish dancing.

The hotel caters mainly for Brits. The food was fine. There is a pool which was for adults only. Karen the Thomson Rep was great and very honest about trips.
There is a hair dryer in the bathroom.

We have already booked two weeks next year - this time trying June.

1  Thank MAP59
Reviewed 26 September 2010

Although the hotel was relatively good, I would agree with some of the comments made in previous posts that it is not worthy of a Thompsons platinum status, the dining room is exceptionally hot as their is no air con, just ceiling fans, when the temp is hot hot hot you deffo need air con. The height of the bath to climb into to shower is very high, there should be walk - in showers. I also felt that the staff were excellent could not do enough to be of assistance, cleanliness of the rooms was excellent.
The food was exceptional, sensational salads, roast beef on Sunday including the yorkshire pud, curry night on a Wednesday, delicious !!! Although Olu Deniz is a really pretty resort is lacks on things to do in an evening and the entertainment in the hotel was mediocre. Mehmet cannot do enough for his vistors, and please have a pedicure and turkish shave whilst your there.

3  Thank kangapoo
Reviewed 26 September 2010

We had read all the reviews, This hotel was recommended to me by a friend at work and although we tried to book last year we couldn't as it was full. It is by far the best service we have received in any hotel so far. First impression when arriving, It was dark and nearly midnight was it looks good. We were two couples travellng together and we were allocated rooms 285 & 286. The rooms are quite compact and in our room the balcony was being overtaken by the tree growing outside it and this made the room quite dark. However, the thomson rep arrange for it to be cut back a bit and that solved that. The rep was the best and I haven't said that in a while. The rooms are spotless. in fact all of the hotel is kept immaculate. The shower in the bathroom is fine however, the shower tray is rubbish, It is like a sit in mini bath and you need a step to get into it !!! Yes they even provided that. Who thought that one up.?? The food is fantastic, the buffet area has air con but the dining area does not, as it was about 35 - 40 degrees while we were there it got a bit uncomfortable at times. You can in fact eat all day long if you like as there is a late breakfast provided at the snack bar until 10.30. the ice cream in the afternoon is great. The area around the pool is too small and even though you are not supposed to save beds everyone did otherwise you would never get one. To those who put their towels down first thing and didn't sit on them untl 4pm, shame on you you know who you are. !!!!! The service around the pool is great, constantly asking if you want drinks, Berk was our favourite, he had a great sense of humour. Entertainment wasn't bad, in fact a lot better that we thought it would be. The team was fabulous especially Fozzie Bear, you will know who I mean if you go there. All the staff from Memet the dining room assistant manager to the maids, make you feel very special. look out for the look alike Peter Andre. The pool was cleaned every night and all the sun beds hosed down. Please go there if you can get in, quite expensive but didn't feel it was over priced. The hotel is in a great location, right by the beach and a street with bars and shops. The paragliding is very entertaining just watching not actually doing it. !!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends