“an honest review”

Ranked #19 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
liverpool
“an honest review”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

we stayed from 6 th to 17 th may.. after a 8 hour flight due to being stuck on tarmac for near 4 hours due to a technical problem not allowed of plane and no refreshments.. then a near two hour transfer to resort we where exhausted .. on check in even though there was only about 8 of us it was slow and not organised we where checked in and told to sit and and wait.. after half an hour we where taken to our room and told lift was broken we where only on second block but was still a struggle ... we got to our room and waited another hour for our suitcases...after all this we decided to make the most of the sun and get a lounger and sleep at 8 am there was no loungers left.. we eventually found two plastic loungers with no mattresses and tried to make the most of it but after an hour was so exhausted went to bed and basically missed a whole day .. we went for dinner and found the food very basic and not alot of choice...the next night we sat at a dirty table had to go and get our own clean cutlery and was not offered a drink the second night was the same the third night we where offered a drink and ordered but never received it ...on the 4 th day we went out ordered a taxi and spent the day and night out...we got back to hotel and was not allowed in as we did not have wristbands which we where not given on arrival .. after taken to reception and proving who we where we where given wristbands.. the 5 th day we noticed a change .. the animation team was new there was new sunbed s and comfortable and lots of them .. we went for dinner and the food was amazing the table was clean and we where offered and served drinks.. there was a new girl in restaurant who was constantly cleaning tables ...and very polite ... she had a slight mishap smashing glasses but we found her the most helpful .. the food was completly different and the best we had ..our room was small but adequate for two people not much storage space.. everything inter going our room was working we had no problems ...the lift was constantly broke but i am sure once they get the engineer over it will be sorted ...,there was shows on and i thought after many years going to turkey they where of a high standard...and we where asked did we enjoy and if not they would not be asked back...the lobby bar was crowded but due to time of year and being a bit chilly of an evening i am sure in high season this wont be a problem... we had two fabulous al a carte meals ...turkish and italian...the view is amazing .. the pools are beautiful the slides great ,,,the staff are all learning and trying their best .. omer the manager is hands on and there 17 hours per day and any problem he solved...he was constantly going round and inspecting and even cleaning himself...i have never seen a manager so hands on...all in all we had a bit of a up and down start but could see the improvements everyday ..we missed the disco which was not open which resulted in a few early nights but i honestly think that in a couple of weeks time they wll have resolved most of the issues and once the hotel is fully up and running it will be fabulous...if you look at other hotels in the area you cannot say this is not a 4 star ,,,i think the tour operator should have told us that things where not completed ie kids club entertainment disco ..and we might not have expected so much...i have travelled all over turkey and stayed from 2 star to 5 star plus and i can honestly say apart from the teething problems i enjoyed my stay after a dodgy start and towards the end of the holiday i did not want to come home...the food was amazing ..and staff where getting it together...maybe if i can afford it i will return but i think once hotel is fully operational the prices will go up...for all those awaiting to go all i can say is everyone has different opinions and expectations but i hope that the hotel is over the teething problems and you all have a fab time...i will be be looking at future reviews hoping to see that the problems are resolved .. as i have know the manager is dedicated and if he is anything to go by the hotel wlll be fab...we had a fab holiday with views i will never forget we where comfortable and happy ...i honestly think the hotel will be 5 star once everything is up and running and judging by the change in a week i am sure it will be sorted soon ,..dont be put off by bad reviews ..xx

9 Thank sharonanste
OrkaSunlifeResort, Manager at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time for sharing your comments.
It's a great pleasure for us to hear that we met your expectations, and you are willing to come back. And please accept our apoligies for the inconvenient situation on your arrival.
We would be very happy to welcome you back to Orka Sunlife.
Yours Sincerely
Selcen Kucukkahveci - Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2013

This hotel is work in progress, Live wires and no covers on circuit boards in rooms, Health and safety is a word they do not understand.I was trapped in lift for 1 and1/2 hours. The alarm or phone in lift was not working. I moved room three times. The 3rd time room was safe. Thomas Crook because that is what they should be called, are putting peoples lives in danger for profit.
They knew this hotel was not fir for purpose but they just kept sending the customers there. If you are going with children I would be very worried. There are no life guards at the pool. The management are in a no win situation. They knew the hotel was no ready they had to adher to orders from Thomas Crook or they would pay a penalty clause.Children are like cats they are very curious and in some rooms live wires were right next to the bath and electricity and water together causes death. On my return to the UK, I contacted Health and safety executive about this hotel and the dangers. After about 1 hour they rang me back to inform me that ABTA are the correct organisation to contact. If anybody has concerns before you go I would strongly advise worried customers to do just that worry! Because Thomas Crook will not except there are problems. The Rep at best is useless. When I complained to her all she could say It is not practical to inspect all rooms, To me it is most important they do. It is better to be safe than sorry so voice your concerns with ABTA and just maybe safety will come first before profit. About 25% of rooms have a good view but most looking at walls or stairs. There are no hooks in the bathroom to hang towels/clothes when having shower. There are no glasses in the bathrooms for toothbrushes and standard rooms are very small, Take your own iron as they have none. When I came to check out they tried to charge me for moving to my third room and said they would call the Police if I did not pay, that was the best offer they made during my stay I told them I wanted to show the Police photos on my camera of loose wires in the rooms they soon changed their minds and no further charges to my bill were added. This hotel is NOT 5* as advertised, more like 3* The buffet food was just OK although it was always luke warm.

Room Tip: superior rooms and deluxe rooms better. Neptune and jupiter blocks are better you do not need to use...
6 Thank GEOFF I
OrkaSunlifeResort, Manager at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
On behalf of Orka Sunlife Management, I would like to inform that the guest was offered a room change on the day he complaint about his room. He didn't like the second room because of the size and the view so he was upgraded to a sea view room which was chargeable and the charge of the room was informed to the guest.
As a new-opened resort, we did have some technical issues which have been sorted promptly in a couple of days. As a management, we have a very strict policy in Helath & Safety issues.
Due to the fact that Mr Ilman was not a Thomas Cook customer, the hotel management directly contacted him in every way to make his stay more comfortable.
At the end of his holiday, he didn't want to pay his extras and contacted with our General Manager. As a gesture of goodwill, his bill was cancelled. He left a signed letter mentioning he was happy with the solution hotel management offered him.
As Orka Sunlife Management, we are disappointed to note of the experiences that our guest had encountered, but we do believe that we did our best to comfort our guest during his stay.
We hope to welcome more understanding, positive and happy guests in near future.
Yours Sincerely,
birmingham
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Firstly, the exterior of the hotel is beautiful in appearance, as is the lobby, reception, swimming pool and slides etc. Secondly, many of the staff are very nice and good at what they do. Thirdly, the manager with all the stress he mush have dealt with in the past few months is exceptional. Shamefully he is let down by many who should be dealing with customer problems before having to approach him. As someone else has mentioned, the reception staff are close to useless and the guest relations person I spoke with may as well stay at home.

Now, let's departmental aspects of the hotel. I am not going to give a single opinion in many cases but one that was generally mentioned.

Rooms - I liked my room, its a normal size for two persons. Minuses, needs more hangers - considering the wardrobe size its not a problem to add more and will make up for the lack of draw space. They easily could have added an extra three drawers on top of the three in the wardrobe and still have the safe on top. Glasses in the room would be nice too instead of just cups.

Bathroom - nice and big. So big infact that space is wasted. There should be wall clothes hangers, a soap dish, toothbrush holder etc. Shower door doesn't close correctly meaning the bathroom floor gets wet. Bathrooms don't get cleaned correctly - there is a lot of chrome which is just ignored, glass shower units ignored, clean towels not left behind. Leaving towels on the floor doesn't mean new ones will be there when you get back to your room, as is usually the norm.

Balconies - tricky one this. It really depends on what one wants the balcony for. Some are very public, some private enough but with no view, others a bit of both. Generally privacy isn't a factor.

Hallways, stairways to rooms - too many bags of linen and towels being left in the hallways by the cleaners, all day and night.

Pool area - pool is lovely, so too the slides. Plenty of sun loungers now to go round. Some shady areas for people to use. Kiddies area seemed nice but kiddies club is a hit or miss thing, i.e does someone actually turn up to run it.

Entertainment - now on their third entertainment group since opening on the 29th April. That in itself says everything.

Food - One is given one free Italian and Turkish evening in the upstairs restaurant. Must be booked between 10.00 - 14.00 the day before. Suppose to be nice. My one comment, needs a wall of some sort to separate it completely from the lobby bar. It kind of looks like a cafe added at the last minute.
The main eating area - too few tables at dinner time. I personally enjoyed the food but, and this I found concerning, it didn't change enough. Hot food was repetitive and I mean nearly on a daily basis. Some evenings an added special was available. Plenty of cold food and deserts available. Warning, the dessert choice gets limited the later one is for dinner.
Service during dinner - at times boarded on a fiasco. Get there early or it can be mayhem. Some excellent staff but too many customers for them to do their job efficiently. Also some not too good staff, one quickly knows.
Lunch and the snack bar - can't comment as I never eat at them times.
Breakfast was very good, a wide choice. Jams to die for.

Lobby bar, pool bar, upstairs bar - Liked them all, could be more seating for the pool and lobby bar and one or two extra staff would improve service immensely. A pop and a coffee machine that the customers could help themselves to might also help at the pool bar.
Disco bar wasn't open while I was there.
On a side note, I really don't think the hotel needs to be a 24 hour all inclusive. Supposedly the disco will finish at 02.00 when opened, no need for the inclusive not to be finished at that time too.

Staffing - reception staff generally, guest relations person or persons need proper training or replaced. Its that simple.
Cleaning room ladies although nice need proper training and control.
Waiting staff and bar staff in the majority of instances are doing a great job with limited help from others in charge.
Omer the manager, a god send. Without going to him you can forget about changing things you are unhappy with.

Now to the lift - Well forget it. I stayed at the top of the hotel (180 or 183 steps) and it was quicker to walk up than take the lift, if it was working. The majority of the days it didn't. Many instances of people being stuck in it when it did work. It's too slow and unfortunately may prove to be a waste of money. Lifts in the blocks also failed on many occasions. Shame as this will affect many people with disabilities of some sort. A shuttle bus from reception was provided after time but again it was quicker to walk.

Location - strange. You are not close to anything but not far from anything. Hisaronu is a 15min walk from the top of the hotel (yes, the steps get you to a short cut.) There is nothing close to the hotel to pop out too. The Dolmus buses run five to ten mins away, its the steepness of the roads that may deter one from using them as much as one would like. Taxis not expensive in comparison to the UK.

Final say and the question that deters if it was a good hotel or not, would I go back? Yes and no. It was cheap enough due to it being recently opened and my answer is related to that fact. Would I pay premium rate and be happy, no. If I wanted 7 days next to the pool and to do nothing else, probably yes. If I was going for ten days and wanted to do things, visit places etc, most likely no. If I was going for two weeks, no.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank catch222
Dear Guest,
We thank you for sharing your valuable comments with us.
I am sorry for the negative experience you had with our hotel during your stay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Orka Sunlife.
Wishing you best of luck for your future travels,
Isle of Cumbrae
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This hotel has been hyped for months on the social network site Facebook. Firstly, there was no pictures of the premises and guests like ourselves were unsure right up to the last minute as to these premises opening on time. There was obviously extreme pressure on this company from travel companies like Thomas Cook in the UK to open on time, which they did on the 29th of April 2013. Whoopee Do we are all sorted!

Facebook was quickly awash with some lovely pictures of the hotel and some nice comments regarding this new build hotel. We arrived the week of opening, on Friday 3rd of May and the check in was very amateurish, which set the alarm bells ringing right away. We sat around in reception after a porter disappeared with our luggage and was never seen again that night ( Had probably went for a sleep or oxygen therapy after humphing our luggage up all those stairs) After 45 minutes we approached reception and asked if we could go to our room, when we finally got someone who could speak English, we set off on the first of our many treks up the stairway of hell.On route to our room,( which was a Junior Suite with an added side view of a broken down lift) we passed a few empty IKEA boxes lying around..so guess what the rooms are kitted out with?

When we finally got to our room, we were not impressed at all, this after all is supposed to be a 4 star hotel and whilst most resort hotels in Turkey can go overboard with their ratings,this is the rating on the Thomas Cook website. The room was large enough for 2 of us and there was a seating area and a nice bathroom with a walk in shower (smell of stale water) and a jacuzzi with lights ( lights were a nice touch) although there was more power in a foot spa. No table to sit anything on, no lamps plugged in and all wiring connections still wrapped up.Fridge full of juice, water and beer and not plugged in, 1 sachet of coffee, fruit teas, no milk sachets, 4 sugars and 4 sweeteners,none of which was replaced for 10 days until we mentioned it on Facebook and neither was any toiletries,so take your own.Only 2 pillows on the bed, but request for 2 additional was sorted out very quickly.

Walking around the premises( You do a lot of walking!) it was glaringly obvious that this hotel was not ready and had probably opened at least 4-6 weeks too early. We chatted with fellow guests who advised that there was a severe shortage of sun-beds at the hotel, due to their order for new ones not turning up yet and that guests were placing towels on beds at 06:00hrs and they were not even German! When they turned up 4 days later,the guests had to go in the morning and start bringing them down to the pool area themselves as the pool area had been cleared of beds the night before.

Our first impression of the dining room, aka works canteen( think big Spanish hotels in the rush hour)was initially ok and the food was reasonable and there was wonderful salads available.
The dining room is far too small for the size of the premises and has around 200-230 seating places available in the dining room and approx another 60 outside.The hotel will have over 500 guests I believe when operating at full capacity and evening meals can be a bit of a shambles.
The biggest bugbear with the dining room is the obvious lack of an experienced head waiter to guide and manage the very inexperienced and extremely hard working staff.

The first week was very very poor service at meal times and no management of staff. The 2nd week there was a slight improvement in service as a few obvious experienced waiters had been brought in to help out. They were also getting overwhelmed however with the volume of guests all arriving during a very short time span. Cleanliness at food serving area was fine, floors cleaned in the morning in the dining room and that was it as far as we could see. Clean your cutlery before using, there will be fingerprints all over it (every single time without fail for 2 weeks) There is no one clearing tables as they empty,also due to the volume of guests and low staff numbers.
If you dine late, 21:00-21:30, you will have to go and look for a waiter to set a few places for you at a table,nothing is replaced as guests leave. There is also an adjacent snack bar that operates between 12:00 and 17:00hrs, the food here is very repetitive every day,but it is after all just a snack bar to be fair. We had to intervene with a child who was going up and helping himself to fruit salad at the snack bar..with his hands, and then tasting some of it and throwing it back into the container whilst a member of staff stood looking bewildered! Kids can just go and help themselves to food,Young Kids...unbelievable.

There is no rules at this hotel as yet and some kids (Not All Thankfully) were totally out of control and certainly not being supervised by their parents. We had to approach the Thomas Cook rep and advise that kids were running up and down the water chutes whilst they were off and it is only a matter of time before there is a serious injury, either through a burn at the snack bar or a fall at the Aqua park.

The hotel themselves, tend to just ignore complaints at the moment due to the volume they are receiving and one or two of the receptionists will ignore you at every turn and start giving it the broken English routine when you start to hassle them. We reported the room phone as not working on day 2 and then re-reported it on day 10 and got it fixed on day 12, no bad really.

The hotel is in the main very nice,(although there will be continuos repairs for a long while to come) the staff are very friendly and very hard working,but are not being managed effectively.
We did not enjoy our stay at this hotel and ate out the last 3 nights of our stay due to the obvious dining room problems and having little food choice when dining late,when the food is very repetitive. We have no doubt that this will eventually be a good family hotel once they iron out all the issues ( there are many and not teething problems).

I would advise any disabled or infirm or unfit guests to give this hotel a miss due to the severe access problems you will have at this location.The lift that takes you to the accommodation blocks will never be fixed to an acceptable standard, that guarantees that it will always work for disabled or infirm guests.This at the moment is the Achilles heel of the hotel and this won't change anytime soon,if ever as I said. The hotel has started running a shuttle service to the top block of the hotel, but they are not savvy enough yet to sort something out for challenged guests.

There is no glasses in the rooms and having had fruit and some wine delivered after an order from some Turkish friends, we were surprised to find no bottle opener for the wine.
Small irritants like that, are a daily regular occurrence from inexperienced staff. The room cleaners some days were excellent and some days very poor, a quick wipe with a very wet mop and leaving a pool of water in the bathroom is not cleaning. This is very unusual for a hotel of this anticipated standard in Turkey,where the cleaners are normally superb. Room was cleaned one night at 17:30,( think the cleaners also go for a sleep as they have to carry everything up all those stairs)
Lobby Bar gets very busy after the evening meal,but the staff just about coped when we were there and very pleasant throughout.The shop in the hotel is very reasonable with most of their prices and also staff are very pleasant and helpful.

The hotel has its own Facebook page which has close to a 1000 people as members/followers and various comments both good and bad are a daily occurrence and these are now being scrutinised by the hotel and all comments have to await approval. There was also some comments that Trip Advisor is now owned by Thomas Cook and that bad reviews about this hotel would not be published!

We wish all guests who have already booked, all the very best and hope you all have a fabulous holiday,just have plenty of patience and you'll get there. Hopefully most of the issues will be sorted out for our fellow travellers going later on. We will not be going back to this hotel anytime soon and will return to previously visited hotels in Olu Deniz when we go back to Turkey.We have been as honest as always with this review, but bear in mind that this is our opinion.

Room Tip: Family rooms appear to be a fair size and have a view. Junior suites with side view have plenty of...
5 Thank Samtheskull
OrkaSunlifeResort, Manager at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
I would like to apologize for all the inconvenience caused and that we have failed to meet your expectations on your stay.
We are working hard to improve our service quality and satisfy our guests with a memorable holiday experience.
I hope to welcome you back to Orka Sunlife. Best wishes on your future travels.
Kind Regards,
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

First impressions of the hotel are less than impressive ,check in was prompt even at 5 am,was taken to our room only to find that we had been allocated the wrong room,back to reception who claimed it was the correct room but was told if I came back later his boss would sort things out . 3 pm and was shown the correct room, superior side sea view room .only 1major issue was there are no curtains only Horizontal blinds built into the glass which makes the room very bright .storage space is very limited in rooms, but rain shower good .lots of corridor noise from other inconsiderate guests making it difficult to get an uninterrupted sleep .pool area is crowded with uncomfortable sunbeds with no mattresses (people were trying to sleep on these but i dont know how )people seemed to be enjoying the pool slides which ran for 4hours a day .also witnessed people reserving sunbeds at 5.30am .the buffet restaurant is hit and miss sometimes food is hot other times it is Luke warm also difficult to get a clean table and chairs because it is not big enough for the amount of guests .outdoor dining is available however all smokers sit here to eat and the smoke blows continually into the restaurant .bar areas were crowded because of cooler evening temperatures so,most evenings difficult to get a drink or a seat .one night we had to sit on the reps desk .no international spirits , bar is open 24hrs .rose and red drinkable .not many bar menus so Asked for cocktails by colour.we all know its up a steep hill but a 10lira taxi ride from hisaronu and 18lira to olu deniz . A buzzer at security will call a taxi to pick you up.Omer the manager will listen to any of your problems and will try to resolve them .however the list of teething problems grows by the hour .i wouldn't advise using the lifts as continually breaking down trapping people inside and if you at the villas or high floor rooms it's 145 steps up ,don't book if you have mobility problems .reception staff needs more training but polite ,offers money exchange but never has any lira !change money in town.overall , definitely not 5 star & at the minute struggles to hit a 3 star . If you want 5 star go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can .or book a different hotel
4 Thank iamlordlucan
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience in Orka Sunlife.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience with the sunbeds and in general. We have taken actions to imrprove our services and the sunbeds have been changed as well.
I very much hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Orka Sunlife.
Yours Sincerely,
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Having stayed at the Orka hotel on three occasions we were looking forward to staying at Orka Sunlife due to past experience of the other hotel which we always had a great time how I wish we went there now.
On arrival the hotel looks very impressive with fantastic views over Olu Dinez then we were shown our room a family room because there was three of us which was advertised as family room with garden views , that was a laugh we were below the stairs of which everyone was going up and down to there buildings as it was built on blocks on the side of a hill so when you opened your patio doors to which you got a slither of sunlight and everyone looking down at you the comments were always the same glad I'm not down there but worse was still to come black mould on all the walls and the room was damp so of we went to complain we explained about the mould and dampness asked them to come and see it only to be told that there was nothing can be done tonight as the hotel was full come back in the morning to which we did and after some time they came up with another family room two blocks up and with the lift not working it was a hike upstairs for the exact same room under the stairs looking on to a wall with the same damp problem only the paint was probably still wet where it had been painted over and was quite clearly visible so we then asked could we purchase anther room and have two rooms away from the basement yes was the reply £300 pounds stuff that we only sleep in the room anyway which I must say was a well appointed room with everything you would need .
Th hotel reception area and bar areas are very nice as is the pool area the staff in general are friendly and helpful as other people remark you need taxis to get out and about which is not a problem as a taxi rank is at the top of the hill .
To sum up we had a good time the room was the only downside so if you are going make sure you pay extra for a sea view.

Room Tip: Don't go for a family room book there other hotel which is great
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank David E
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments. And it's nice to hear nice comments about our staff.
I am sorry to note of the disappointing experience you had with your first room . As soon as we were informed about problems in the room, our technical team took an action to restore it.
I would like to apologize for this inconvenience and we hope to welcome you back to Orka Sunlife.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed at the Orka sunlife from 1st -15th of may and had a fantastic time , being as the hotel had only been open for two days we didn`t know what to expect . The room we had was very well laid out but did need a bit room to put your clothes [ only 6 coat hangers ] . We were lucky to get the room we had which overlooked the pool and a great sea view . The management was trying very hard to sort the teething problems out so more days go by the less there should be , the travelator [ lift ] which runs up along side the steps [93] gives you great views from as long as it does not break down , we spent 35mins stuck at the top which we had for a few laughs about . The food choice and quality was excellent but for real treat have a meal in the al la carte restaurant we went on Italian night and had the peppered steak [must be tried] . Some of the rooms don`t have very good views e.g overlooking the steps or the block in front of you . IF your not very fit don't try to get up the hill to get to the main road to catch the local buses get the reception to call you a taxi they are cheap enough . The disco was not finished when we left . we cannot comment on the spa because we didn't use it but people we met said the enjoyed the experience . The entertainment was done by proper troupes /groups not your normal animation team . the bar service was better in Galaxy lobby bar than the pool bar .

13 Thank DAVEN800
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Orka Sunlife.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks for your comments about our food & beverage services.
We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Orka Sunlife in near future.