“Amazing hotel”
Review of Orka Sunlife Hotel

Orka Sunlife Hotel
Ranked #19 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Hotel was amazing. Very modern and staff were lovely and very helpful. Location was good,although beach and town not in walking distance so need to get a bus but it is only £1 each. It was the first time I was holidaying without my parents and staff were very helpful when arranging trips. All I would say is not to book with thomas cook as the rep was awful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ms1997
OrkaSunlifeResort, Guest Relations Manager at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2014

Dear , Ms1997

Thank you so much for choosing OrkaSunLifeHotel and for taking time to share your experience.

We are looking forward to seeing you back

There are newer reviews for Orka Sunlife Hotel

Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband and I, and two daughters aged 12 and 10 stayed at the Orka Sunlife from 23 May for 10 nights . We booked over a year before our stay and having read the varied reviews left over the past 12 months travelled with the hope that all the problems had been put to rest during the winter in readiness for the new season. I have titled this review the good the bad and the ugly, because those are the three categories that I feel are suitable to describe our individual experience at this hotel.
The Good
The staff whilst overworked, are friendly and have a great sense of fun. Haydar is an excellent cocktail maker and we noted that he also tried to serve in order of who arrived at the bar first.
The hotel is in an elevated position, so should be avoided if you dislike stairs. The lift was only broken once during our stay which seemed to coincide with some inclement weather. It is 12Tl (appx £4) in a taxi to Hisaronu and Olu Deniz alike and therefore the hotel is central to both busy resorts.
The pool is clean and well maintained, and the pool area pleasant with good sunbeds. The towel service is good.
The rooms have a mosquito door on the patios which we thought was a very nice touch…fresh air without being bombarded by the little monsters which are fairly abundant due to the location (among trees).
The newly planted trees and flowers are very nice and over the years the hotels outlook will be much better as these mature.
There is a free pool table, table tennis and table football which we all enjoyed
The food – it is good quality. We did have a few issues which I will detail in ‘the bad’. The desserts were simply to die for….so much selection. The snack bar served food all afternoon which was very nice as you could eat a little later if not hungry at lunchtime. The wine is very drinkable, and the cocktails which have to be chosen from the menu are nice. It is nice that there are some for the children. I will be mentioning cocktails again though in ‘the bad’ …read on.
The waterslides…they are good fun if not abused. This is not the hotels fault. Two children could be seen sporting plasters over their cut chins during our stay. I can see the slides being closed if people do not respect them, ensuring that there is even less for under 16’s to do. The slides were supervised by a member of staff when open.
The BAD
Right, so the beginning is a good place to start – the ROOM. If you are unlucky enough to have booked a family 2 bedroom room then sorry…I have some bad news for you. Upon arrival we went off to find our Family room with garden view (Thomas Cook’s description), down some black marble stairs (lethal in the dark) as you could not see when they finish/start. On opening the door, a waft of damp. Still it was 2am, so off to bed we went. In the morning we opened our patios to a stunning view of….a horrible algae covered blue plastic tub and the stair wall…perhaps the algae was the garden? Our walls were green in places and the plaster was blown in many places….when knocked left a pile of white on the floor. We paid an extra 320.00 for this!! Determined to enjoy our holiday, we tried to overlook these issues but after 2 days, our youngest daughter started referring to the room as ‘The Cellar’ and the green mould was increasing. I went to reception to address these issues and was seen by the Front of House manager Alexandra. She immediately assured me that we would be given a new room and that I was to return to the poolside while she sorted the change out. Alas, when she returned an hour and a half later, it was to tell me that no other room was available and that they had been to our room and it now smelt fresh and the green mould was gone…..errr, sorry no! The very visible green mould had been scrubbed and the blown plaster sanded (and most left on the floor)….the mildew still very present under the sink in the Bathroom. Back to reception, and this time to see Serkan. We were promised that the next day we would be moved to a new room (now 5 days in). We finally got into the new side sea view suite, four beds squashed in but the new room was very nice and had a bath and a super view. So folks, those of you who have booked a suite with a view – you will be very pleased with your room. We were also offered free spa treatments which we did not take the hotel up on. The problem with the family rooms is NOT EVER going to go away and will require constant cleansing and remedial action. The Hotel has been built into a mountain which has a water course flowing through it…so these rooms will remain damp and smelly and quite frankly should be boarded up and NOT sold to hard working families. I also think this Hotel would be much better as an adult only property unless they sort out the dire entertainment programme for the under 16’s.
The above is our main complaint however as a Hotel hoping to be a five star establishment…it has a long way to go…the following issues also come under my heading ‘the bad’…..
Restaurant
Never any soup spoons by the soups (which are excellent)
Mugs – often all gone in the morning - same with the juice glasses
Juice – Cherry nice, Orange is watered down and totally one star revolting…fresh juices should be served
Decide whether you are a waiter service for drinks or if it is self-serve and provide wine drinkers with carafes so they do not have to wait for a top up.
Labelling – most items were labelled but during the holiday we stumbled across two items which stated vegetarian but were definitely lamb! We are not veggies but a true veggie would have been affected by this.
Tables were laid with just one place setting for a restaurant providing starters and main course …so had to reuse cutlery and no dessert spoon set out at all
Bars
Some staff are new and speak little English so it can be hard to get yourself understood. I asked for an ice-age cocktail for my 12 year old and watched on with horror as it was filled with alcohol….so be careful. You cannot have a cocktail which is not on their menu which I found appalling. Orka chooses to call itself an ‘Ultra’ all inclusive….so why can I not have a Strawberry Daiquiri which can be made with local white rum??? Answer: Because it is not on the menu!! Last year other guests commented on the marvellous Daiquiris so this is a new introduction and quite frankly it is very very poor and I was left very disappointed. The outside Bar work top was always covered with spillages thus attracted lots of Wasps.

Other
Reception could not change up sterling into lira on occasion because they had nothing less than 100 lira notes….POOR
On one occasion my daughter accidentally spilt her hot chocolate on the floor by the bar …the spillage was still there hours later – POOR
Entertainment…day time is not too bad. Aqua aerobics and Zumba plus darts. The pool game does not last nearly long enough and there should be more things that children can join in with….we liked the spoon game but it should have lasted longer than 10 minutes. Evening…mostly dancing but compared to what we have been used to from our stays in another hotel in the last three years, all I can say is Orka has much to learn.
Finally – ‘THE UGLY’
Yes, that will be the tatty and virtually unused enclosed football pitch which totally spoils the beautiful view and seems to have been given the hotels prime view spot!! Why? Did the Hotel employ a blind architect when they designed it?? This area would make an stunning bar/seating area or could even house an amazing infinity pool which would provide this Hotel with a WOW factor that I think it currently needs.
So for the good, I give 4 stars to this hotel….the bad I take 2 stars away and leave a review with 2 stars and hope that the management deal with the issue of the damp and mildew in the family rooms before it spoils other hard working family’s holidays. These issues will also be raised with the selling agent Thomas Cook who blatantly mis-sell this property in their brochures.

Room Tip: Avoid 2 room family rooms !
11  Thank minijudithfromleigh
OrkaSunlifeResort, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Guests
Thank you for your comments, we can only apologise for the technical issues you had during your stay, we can understand that this is not what you expect when you are holiday. Please be assured that all the points you have raised during your stay have been taken very seriously and our technical services are looking into the issues. As you can see form other guests comments the satisfaction rate for our hotel is very high and it is unfortunate that you had this experience. I am sorry that you were dissatisfied with our hotel Management, during your stay we tried our best to rectify your situation and do the best we could, I can only apologise that you were unhappy with the manner in which we managed this issue. Thank you once again for your comments and we have taken all your valued points into consideration.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I came for a week with my 2 friends and there parents. It was the best holiday ever. Food was lovely. Staff were great and friendly I advise this hotel to anyone. Entertain staff were unreal and we are coming back in September with out a doubt :)

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Justine S

First of all we would like to thank you for your kind interest shown to Orka Sunlife Resort & SPA,
Thank you so much for your review. We will be very pleased to host you again in Orka Sunlife Resort & SPA
If you have any questions and requests please do not hesitate to contact with us.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

We have had the most amazing holiday at the Orka Sunlife Hotel and Spa and we have thoroughly enjoyed the whole time! We had read the reviews but most of the negative comments were typical of the British, they are just silly things to get upset about!
We came here for my 21st birthday as a couple, first time both of us have been to Turkey and we'll 100% be back!
The rooms were cleaned everyday, the food was the best I've ever had in a hotel and the staff were so friendly! We'll definitely be recommending this hotel and we'll be back without a doubt!
The spa was a lovely experience, Ferit was really helpful and didn't push you into having a treatment unlike some hotels and the treatments were well worth the money!
There are 3 bars; one 24hr bar, can't complain about that, lovely choice of cocktails, spirits, juices and beer.
The restaurant is great, there is enough food for even the fussiest people (I'm really fussy yet I've not gone hungry once), ice cream and waffles at one of the bars kept even the big kids happy!
The pool was cold as it wasn't heated but when it's hot out in the sun why would you need a heated pool anyway!
The room was lovely, large powerful shower, mini bar, tv & DVD (not that you'd need one on holiday), double beds were a bit of a shame as my other half is 6ft 5 and his feet were hanging out the end so a bigger bed would be better but that's just our personal preference.
There's a free shuttle service to the local beach which was great and just a short walk from there was the beautiful crystal clear blue sea.
On out last day we went on a 'Dalyan Departure tour' we loved it, it's a fab idea for those who have really late flights as you have a day trip out, mud baths, ruins, turtle beach and then head to a hotel near the airport to freshen up!
Overall we absolutely loved our holiday in Turkey and loved it that much we'll be back to the Orka again this year!

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank Georgie C

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Have just got back from our 1st trip to Turkey.

Went for a wedding on the Blue Lagoon.

This Hotel has the best staff we have ever met. We would go as far to say that they were better than on our Caribbean Cruise with P & O.

Waiting Staff :
Halil - Serhat - Ali - Emrullah -Turgay - Mustafa - Ismail - Yusuf - Erdal -Sinan these we very friendley and could not do enough for you.

Bars :
Hydar - Mustafa with his upside down name tag -Ziya - Ahmet.

Spa :
Ferit - Cuma (not his real name) the lovely girls from Bahli

The cleaners were great and always made an effort in our room with either some fresh flowers or a towel design. These girls also cleaned around the pool and Bar areas and always acknowledged you.

Desk staff were all great even when we arrived in the early hours, so welcoming and interested
in what you were doing or where you were going.

A special mention should go to the Ukranian staff at the hotel at this time of trouble in their home country.

I hope that the staff get to see this post. I am sorry for all the staff I can't remember names of.

our best wishes to you all hope to see you all soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Julie F

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Travelled as a family with my boyfriend, mum, dad and sister (7 yrs old).

There were mixed reviews on here before we went but I honestly think that there is no pleasing some people! The only thing I didn't like (at first) was the location and size, as I'm used to staying in small hotels near the beach - but this is just personal preference and not a reflection on the hotel itself.

Hotel - Lovely and clean, plenty of space. Free shuttle service to the beach was useful if you wanted a day out. Can't fault it al all.

Staff - The animation team were very helpful and friendly, we loved Ozzy, Moos, Natalie and Christina (apologies for spelling any names wrong). The general hotel manager, receptionists and the bell boys were also really helpful and genuinely nice. The housekeeping ladies came every day - towels and bedlinen were always clean.

Our room - We booked quite far in advance and requested a larger room at the time (there was no extra charge for this). Our room was very spacious, I've seen some reviews about the standard rooms being too small but I can't comment on this. The bed was comfortable, as was the sofa bed.

Food - I really don't know what more you could expect, the food was great and there was so much choice. Drinks were good too, good selection of cocktails and alcohol free fruit cocktails, bar staff were friendly but usually rushed off their feet.

STEPS! - The steps are hard when you first arrive, but they are not impossible. We saw it as free exercise to help work off the extra food and we definitely have more toned legs after 2 weeks. Realistically the steps shouldn't be an issue unless you are very overweight/unfit, or ill. The lift is slow but worked fine while we were there so that is an option.

Would definitely stay here again depsite not usually liking bigger hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room when booking if possible
5  Thank neeliebeelie

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Travelled as a family with eldest son, his wife and their two children aged six and two. This hotel was small and friendly and offered something for all six of us. The waiters helped us to sit together for meals as a family. The high chairs were spotless and cling wrapped! All the food was amazing, varied and fresh. The kids club was wonderful and the whole kiddies area was very well equiped and even had hot showers for the little ones, although at times these were abused by unaccompanied children - even though there was a notice saying they should be with parents, this was not enforced. The hotel manager deserves a special mention as he was always on site and making sure the hotel was spotlessly clean and all the staff were on the ball. The only complaint was the slow and tempremental lift at the side of all those steps but at least you could have an extra cake if you knew you had to climb them! We were in Turkey for our youngest son's wedding with friends and family staying at other hotels and villas. All in all, we think we had the best deal.

4  Thank pennie h
OrkaSunlifeResort, Halkla İlişkiler Müdürü at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

We are delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.