“A fantastic all inclusive resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orka Sunlife Hotel

Orka Sunlife Hotel
Ranked #19 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Brisbane. Australia
“A fantastic all inclusive resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed recently for 4 nights at the Orka Sunlife. We both left, wishing we had booked longer.
It's a beautifully designed resort, set high in the hills overlooking Ölüdeniz.
The resort has a wide range of excellent facilities. The pool area is large, with a separate kids area and 5 water slides in a section off to the side. These are only open at certain times.
There are several bars, including one which is open 24hrs a day. As with most all inclusive options, the drinks are 'local' beer, wine and spirits, however there are more premium options which are chargeable. We found the selection more than satisfactory.
The main restaurant area is a decent size, and there are different options each day, as well as some which are the same. There are many Turkish dishes available, so why not give them a try. It does get busy however the staff are efficient, and you are also able to eat poolside if you prefer.

The spa is excellent and we both enjoyed a traditional hamam (Turkish Bath) and also a spa treatment. This took 2 hours and was a nice treat.

There are shows on at night at the "Orka Theatre" and also pool side activities during the day.

There is plenty to keep you busy or else just lay back and enjoy the beautiful weather, surrounded by stunning scenery.

I found most of the guests were British, and also quite a few Turkish families.
I have read reviews on here that the staff don't speak English very well. The truth is, some do, some have limited knowledge. If you actually try to have a conversation with them, you'll find they come from all over Turkey, some from small towns and villages. If you try to use a few words of Turkish yourself, it's greatly appreciated by them.

Special mention goes to Erol in the restaurant, Haydar at the pool bar and GM Turgay who were all very kind to us during our stay.

This was my first time to Turkey, and I have nothing but praise and admiration for this beautiful country and it's people

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank edgey74
OrkaSunlifeResort, Guest relations at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
First of all, we would like to thank you for your kind interest shown to Orka Sunlife Resort & Spa.

It's been great to get your comments on our facilities and staff. We took a big pleasure to host you here and will take pleasure if you come here next time, too.

Anything in mind, don't hesitate to contact us. Kind Regards.

info@orkasunlifehotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Having read some of the reviews on here I find some of the comments a bit off the mark. My wife, 11month year old and I have just returned from a week at the Orka and overall had a nice relaxing time.

Arrival
On arrival we were given a room at the top of the hotel, there was a cable car style lift up to the top but I found this slow, quite small and hot and wouldn’t fancy lugging a buggy up to the top, the staff immediately recognised this and moved us to a room that avoided using the steps at all so was pleased with how they proactively managed the situation.

Room
The room I had (4502) had a great view of the mountains and out to the sea, modern and contemporary but a bit small and due to the design some corners of furniture etc that meant keeping a close eye on the child, ideal for 2x adults though, mini bar included (2x beer/coke/lemonade/water)but to get this re-filled is an additional cost, No bath but nice shower with "rain shower" or normal option, flat screen TV and comfortable bed, travel cot was setup at speed again in the room.

Grounds & Swimming Pool(s)
The grounds of the hotel are kept very clean and it is a stunning setting being in the mountain, I didn't use the beach as this is a taxi ride but we did visit the Blue Lagoon of which I was a bit disappointed, nice view and setting and clean still water but the stony shingle beach with fag butts is not ideal for a little one, however you have to hire the sun loungers and parasol 2x sun loungers and a parasol is 21TL (£5.78). I think the swimming pools are great, the main one is a good size the water slides are separate from the main pool which I liked, the child’s area is great with a sliding lock gate shaded play area the pool has a mushroom fountain in it which the kids seemed to enjoy splashing in.

Food & Drink
Beer is EFES which was good, cocktails are also good and a good array of spirits and soft drinks, I am not a wine drinker but my wife wasn't keen and served too warm at times however she did drink the sparkling wine. There is only one restaurant which when busy is quite hectic and not the most relaxing atmosphere, child’s high chairs readily available and clean (cling filmed cover that is removed), the service team are nice and polite in the restaurant but can be slow on taking drinks orders (seemed a little understaffed). I would agree with the comments that the snack bar is really fast food orientated and the quality of it didn't look great (I didn't actually use it apart from a cheese toasty which was okay). The food quality in the restaurant is good and tasted nice, could get a little samey, deserts are great. I think if your staying for 7 nights you won't have a problem although we ate out one night in Hissarno at Festivals (5min walk) for a break from it and to have relaxed atmosphere, 2 weeks I would get fed up with it I think, could prove tricky to get suitable food for the little one at times. We enquired about the Al a Carte restaurant which is a 10Euro per person supplement but was advised it was fully booked on the Turkish night we enquired about. When we went up it looked nearly empty this was a trend throughout but having not eaten in the rotating themed Al a carte I couldn't comment, oh nearly forgot the pool bar the guys work hard but I must say it can be frustrating as there is usually only 1 staff member serving while other guys are doing generic work around them while people wait to be served.

Ambience & Clientele
I arrived on a Monday and found during the week the pool area was quite relaxed not to loud and only a few things going on no animation team in your face which I have experienced in Turkey in the past. However come Fri/Sat/Sun I did notice an increase in the volume and things going on not that this was an issue for me but for people expecting background noise might find it loud, animation team for me was good as they don't get in your face but there are activities for people who want to take part, darts/water aerobics etc, no water polo or things like that though.

Lobby bar was good well air conditioned, roof terrace is great as it cools down quite nice in the evening and is a good spot, only saw bits of the evening shows and some of it was very high quality with gymnastics show impressive.

People have written that the hotel attracts a certain type of Clientele, what a load of rubbish what you have to appreciate is the fact that a holiday to Turkey is more affordable for most folks hence you get more of a mix of people, I had no issues with "Chavs" during my stay and didn't see any outrageous behaviour or kept up at night from people making noise,

Summary
Overall a great tidy hotel suffers from not being able to walk onto a beach and steps could be an issue for some people, if the room was slightly larger and a bit more child friendly that would have been good, I stayed previously at a 5* in the resort of Side and we said we wouldn't return to Turkey after that experience, well I must say the Orka has changed my opinion on that, with a bit more range of food and some additional staff I think I would have given it a 5* review and if the price was right for a family holiday I would return.

Worth a visit for sure....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mr_T_Fool

We are happy to get such a comprehensive review of our hotel, staff, facilities, so on. It was a pleasure to us to accommodate you here. Hopefully you will give us this opportunity again.

Please feel free to keep in touch if you have any questions and requests. Kind Regards.

harlow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

A weeks holiday in May Half Term 2014. Myself and my husband, celebrating a wedding anniversary, child free (thanks to my mum).

Arrival and check in was easy and problem free. Bell boy took care of your luggage whilst we went to eat. We didn't arrive at the hotel until gone 10 pm. Food was lovely, although to be fair I would've eaten anything at this point.

A quick nose around, a drink and off to bed. Room was beautiful, (we had Towel Art, flowers, on arrival) rooms were always kept clean, and had some lovely views. We stayed in the Jupiter block. The mini bar in the room was stocked, and this was all included in our price. You had to request it to be filled after you'd emptied it, for a fee.

The food was wonderful every day and the waiters were always attentive at every meal time. We didn't eat the same thing twice, there was always plenty to choose from and lots on offer and the desserts were to die for!!!! Hats off to the Chefs. I enjoyed the food so much that I gained a little wait..ooops!
We never struggled for a table or for service at the bars at any pint during our stay.

Bar staff were eager to please and quite enjoyed making me surprise cocktails...who knows what I was drinking half the time, but it was always nice!

One member of staff, Aleksandra, the hotels Customer Relations Rep, stood out from everyone. She arranged our little surprise gift in our room, some Champagne and a Fruit Platter, and some more lovely towel art, this time 2 swans and a love heart. A beautiful thing to come back to after a hard days sunbathing haha
We found her always helpful and she advised us on a very nice restaurant to eat in for our anniversary. Unfortunately we couldn't use the A-La_Carte in the hotel as it was booked for a wedding function, which I might add was handled magnificently.

The entertainment was good each night, and wasn't repetitive. A different show each night.
If you prefer, you can go into either the towns, Hisaranou or Olu deniz. both a short taxi journey away, approx 10TRL. I wouldn't advise walking it, far too hot.

Daytime entertainment included poolside games, zumba classes, water polo, water aerobics, darts, pool amongst other options. There's also a 5 slide park...a must even for the adults!!

On site facilities were brilliant. The spa and steam bath looked great but I didn't get to use them for whatever reason, but I will definitely be doing so next time.
My husband had a real shave, a cut-throat shave in the barbers. Hot towels, lathered soap etc His face had never felt so smooth!!
The salon looked busy most days, with a few holiday makers having their nails done, they looked impressively good.

We spent 2 days on tour excursions, 1 day in Olu deniz town, 1 day in Hisaranu town and the rest in the hotel. Most of the time I was watching the Para-gliders whilst drinking cocktails and going for a dip in the pool.

Overall the hotel is wonderful. Yes, its in a mountain, which for some is not desirable. I found it perfect. Its close enough to lively towns if you want a day/night out but far enough away to avoid the noise and disruption.

The only down part was the pool being soooooo cold when you first get in, but once you're in you soon warm up.

Thank you to every member of staff who made our holiday a wonderful one. It was a perfect trip x x

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 102jh260

It was pleasant for us to accommodate you in our hotel. We really appreciate you share your valuable comments with us.

Anything in mind, please keep in touch. Kind Regards

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is truely an amazing hotel, the food is that of high end establishment with a wide variety to choose from. The waiting staff are friendly but not over the top, do signal them over for seated drink service in the main restaurant or you will wait a while for them to approach you (think this may be their policy) stay clear from the dessert section ..only because you will go up with intention of getting one pudding and come back with a plate full :) amazing.
Rooms: we had a room in uranus block and it was big enough for what we needed. Double bed and two chairs that turned into beds (we didnt need them as only two of us) bed was very comfortable and bedding changed regular. Shower was nice and strong and always plenty of hot water and fresh towels daily. Maids did a great job and even made swans ..hearts etc with towels on the bed with flowers :)
pool area: always plenty of loungers but this wasnt in school holidays, this may be difficult in busier times ??
Pool is big and has music played around but isnt too loud so you can still have a conversation :) lots of activities in and around the pool...zumba...step..water aerobics..water polo...fun and games :)))
slides are a good touch... and are open between set times (with relief from the parents in our group) ozzy manages the health and safety of the slides and he does this well (when adults listen) he is great with the kids and a great giggle :)
Shows are amazing but dont start till 10pm which was perfect for us but saw a few people struggling with tired children. Best shows ive seen in turkey. The young girl who does the kids disco before the shows needs to gain a bit of entertainment sparkle ... the kids in our group said that she was sad all the time. I think she was a little shy and unsure of what she was doing ??
A la carte .. Italian
5 courses and mm mm mouth wateringly fab. We ate here on our wedding night....
staff opened it exclusively
For our wedding party, all so friendly and welcoming and cannot stress enough that the food here was the best ive ever had. Steak cooked to perfection :)
Bar service: can be a long wait... some staff can be abrupt and rude but there are a few nice ones that seem to be doing most of the work yet still manage to smile and remain polite :)
Over all i am so glad we stayed here with our wedding guests everyone loved it :)
vikkiluan@talktalk.net
vikki emmerson

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Vikki E
OrkaSunlifeResort, Guest relations at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014

We really appreciate your feedbacks and recommendations . It will be an excellent thing for us to host you here again.

Should you have any requests and questions, please contact us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend went last year for a girlie holiday, it literally was the best holiday ever! Close to 2 towns which we went and enjoyed night life, the staff were fabulous and made us very welcome! I would do anything to have this holiday again.

When we first got there we found out we was in the building at the top of the dreaded stairs, after reading reviews before about the lift constantly breaking we were gutted, however we made the most of it and the room was beautiful! Two young girls in a glamorous room what more could you want so clean as well.

The pool area was beautiful and always something going on, as we was usually pretty hungover from the bar staff supplying us with cocktails and nights on the town we didn't usually participate but we sunbathed and watched - always looked funny and everyone enjoyed themselves.

We took advantage of the spa, unfortunately I can't remember his name but the manager fell 'in love' with me and gave use a bronze package as a special offer, the massage was wonderful, we even pretended to have a photo shoot in the Turkish bath, again a lot of fun!

Towards the end of the holiday we knew all the staff, had made friends and never wanted to leave! We got collared into doing some photos for the 2014 brochure, with this we got complimentary chargeable drinks and felt like superstars - if not slightly embarrassing hehe.

We were a bit worried at first that there was going to be nothing for us to do but now having been I would recommend this hotel to anyone from any age/gender from families to friends...What more can you want - clean, beautiful surroundings, friendly staff, gorgeous weather and a great location!!
I love you Orka Sunlife!!!

Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Olivia P
First of all, We would like to thank you for your kind interest shown to Orka Sunlife Resort & Spa.

It was good to accommodate both of you in our hotel. Thank you very much for your great comments on our facilities. We will be more than happy to host you here again.

Should you have anything in mind, please contact us. Kind Regards.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I would highly recommend the orka we came here in June with a large group of friends and family as me and partner were getting married I cannot tell you how lovely this hotel is the staff are brilliant and they made my holiday.The food was fantastic a really good variety,lots for kids to do near to hisaranu and olu deniz an all round fantastic hotel.I don't normally write reviews but I feel that I should let people know just how fantastic this place is the staff go the extra mile for you nothing is too much trouble will defiantly be booking again.Me and my husband can't thank them enough they did us a reception after we got married decorated tables played music they really made our day so special
A big thank you to all at the orka sunlife made my holiday .

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank rhia p
OrkaSunlifeResort, Guest relations at Orka Sunlife Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014

We became highly delighted to know that you had a fantastic time during your stay in our hotel. We will be pleased to accomodate you here next time.

Should you request any querries, please contact us. Kind Regards.

Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

As with an earlier reviewer, we found the reviews here a little overrated but we had a nice time.

We found the pool area a bit too noisy, with very loud music and a PA system being used a lot through the day for different things like aqua aerobics, Zumba and Zorbing as well as a music quiz, we found it hard to find a quiet spot to relax.

The food in the hotel was of a high standard for Turkey and we enjoyed the desserts and the table staff were very good.

The room we had was a little small with not much room for two suitcases but we managed, the room was cleaned everyday but our bed sheets could have been replaced more often as we stayed two weeks.

As others have said, if you don't mind climbing then this hotel is fine, but if you have any kind of mobility problem you would be reliant on a slow elevator that could get frustrating if you are that the top of the hill as we were. We didn't mind the climb as we liked the exercise.

Ferrit in the Spa was very helpful and friendly, the staff at the pool bar seemed overworked and they were a little grumpy at times, we thought they were a bit understaffed here.

Overall not bad for the money, but the Thomas Cook description of a place to relax is a little misleading unless you stay away from the pool area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tacohound

We appreciate your comments on our facilities. As we are trying to improve our services each day, we are also inclined to listening to the customers's review. Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any requests and questions. Kind Regards.