“Turquoise hotel, Turkey”

Ranked #15 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
London, United Kingdom
“Turquoise hotel, Turkey”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

A very nice hotel ideally located for spending great vacations in Turkey. You have both the joy and entertainment of the beach as well as that of the mountain. The turquoise hotel in Oludeniz, Dalaman, Turkey is only about five minutes away from Belcekiz beach and is right at the foot of Mount Badadaq. There is also the famous blue lagoon, many shops and restaurants and the surrounding is very astonishingly beautiful. There are lots of activities that you can undertake when staying at this hotel. The only thing that is quite difficult is getting there. The airport is about 60 km away so when you arrive, you have quite a ride; Apart that the hotel is in an ideal location offering serenity and all the modern facilities.
What‘s fantastic, with the room payment you have included breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. You get snacks also. At the pool side there are many different cocktails that are served. The hotel has a pool, a spa, a fitness center, and a beauty salon. Some activities that you can undertake when at the hotel include horse riding which is really fun especially being that the hotel is near the mountain. You can also take on different water sports, kayaking or boat trips to the nearby cities from where there are many things you can take for souvenir. Particularly fun if you are adept is to try paragliding or diving. You can take some courses but you need to be there for quite some time to really learn. The few lessons that you get will teach you the basic and you will not be able to actually do that on your own. There will be an instructor there with you. Jeep Safari is also thrilling.
The hotel offers a great place for relaxation especially after a day when you have been very active. The rooms are very well air conditioned, you have 24 hrs reception, internet access, a television, laundry and ironing service, car rental, and there is also a small medical facility so you can contact a doctor if in an emergency.
The staff is very friendly and professional. The hotel is very clean but it’s not anything extraordinarily luxurious. I would say its standard, the rooms are spacious and you can comfortably spend the night. It is quite secure and well, I can say it is affordable. You can expect to pay about $35 per night. When you think about it including breakfast, dinner, and lunch, it’s good.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ivan D

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Before travelling to Olu in September I fell in love with the place (and to a lesser extent the hotel) such was my depth of research thanks to amongst other things Trip Advisor. I felt like I knew it like the back of my hand. I am very pleased to say that the resort met my expectations but the hotel was a slight disappointment.
On arrival check in was simple and quick however we were greeted by the most unwelcoming receptionist we have ever come across. The cases were taken to our room (and it's a good job as it was up a spiral stair case on the top floor of building 3). I was apprehensive about these rooms as people had previously said that there was little daylight and the ceilings, where sloping, were too low. Well there was absolutely no need to worry because even though yes there wasn't much light, the room was absolutely huge. When we return we will however request a room on the other side of the hotel as the noise from The Dorian hotel next door was on some nights very loud.
When stepping out onto the admittedly small balcony, I realised that all of the pictures had not done it justice. It is a very aesthetically pleasing hotel. Beautiful grounds with fruits growing on the trees, tropical fauna and restful walkways.
Everywhere was so clean and tidy reflecting the pride that all members of staff have in their place of work. This however brings me onto the subject of certain members of staff. There are a few who are so friendly that they lift you whenever they have time to speak to you (and they always have time) from the cleaners to the management. Unfortunately there are then those that make you feel like you are an inconvenience to them. Bar staff, certain restaurant staff and a couple of cleaners.
The food is another area where this hotel can pick itself up. In terms of numbers of dishes available there was a very wide choice available. However many of these offerings were very similar to each other and there was little variety from day to day. There could also be more hot dishes. It has been said by a few that only a little food was given on the hot stations. I personally found that if you kept your plate outstretched for a couple of seconds after the initial first serving, the servers were only too pleased to give you more. These servers were, incidentally, amongst the friendly team.
The choice of drinks was too small. Even though the Tuborg was of good quality, the red and white wine were acceptable and the local spirits weren't as bad as some we've had in the past, I feel that about 4 of the most popular cocktails, a white rum and a Cinzano or Martini should be added.
The entertainment was mostly of a good standard. It doesn't match the likes of that offered in the Belek hotels but then these are much larger 5 star establishments with much larger budgets. The entertainment here is more in keeping with the size of the hotel, the clientele it is aimed at (families) and the resort in which the hotel is situated. However the time for the kids disco is much too late really. This started at 9:30 for 15 minutes leaving a long wait between evening meal and 'fun'. Following on from the kids disco was the main entertainment at 10:00. This lasted for just half an hour and that was it. Maybe some tweaking could be done about the timing of these things. This leads very nicely onto the topic of the animation team. 'Speedy' Ali, his wife April and 'Ronaldo'. Never have I met such a friendly group of animation staff. Ali is the warmest and funniest member of staff I have come across in any hotel. April is a wonderful lady who is so good with the children in the kids club. My daughter has never wanted to be a part of any club in the past but she absolutely fell in love with April. Ronaldo was just a little sweety. He was never happier than when getting involved in any of the quite wide range of activities that were on offer but was never pushy if you just wanted to relax. Above all else it will be these 3 that will get us to go back to this hotel if they are still there (and we've never been back to anywhere).
While there we had 2 massage packages and they were absolute heaven with again really pleasant members of staff. The value of these was amazing.
Despite having had little moans about certain things, the good aspects of this hotel will ensure we will be back. As a whole package of location and hotel and everything that comes with it, it is nigh on perfect. We will return to the resort of Olu Deniz which I even more believe to be my Utopia and I cant think of a better hotel to be able to spend our time while there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank marcoxl5
West Midlands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Reading some of the reviews here after my visit in the last week of the season makes me wonder if we were all at the same hotel!!
We arrived quite late at night and were lucky to grab a bowl of lukewarm soup before the restaurant closed after "midnight soup" and as the week progressed this became 10 o'clock soup.
The room was ok, not a pool view as expected but we were only in it to sleep. The double bed was two singles pushed together but still made up as singles. Cleaning standards also need improving. The balcony was miniscule. The fridge was a nice touch, pity the water was not replenished. There is a safe in the room, costs £1 a day. We also paid extra to keep the room until 5pm on the day of departure, although the cleaner had not been informed of this.
Even though it was the end of season people still felt the need to reserve sunbeds and then not use them. I don't think they realise just how selfish they are. Perhaps staff should remove the towels after a period of no-show. I didn't venture into the pool as I was told it was freezing, but that didn't deter the children. The food at the hotel was adequate although there seemed to be a feeling that they were using everything up as it was the last week. There was quite a selection of salads (leftovers?) However the hot food was barely warm and I do like my hot food hot. The pancakes and omelettes were the exception as they were freshly cooked in front of you. Unfortunately the ala carte restaurant was closed so I can't comment on that. I suppose the best food on offer was the soup- reasonably hot and tasty and the bread which was delicious.
I was a bit concerned about the two dogs which wandered round. They didn't bother anyone, but with children racing around firing water shooters about ......
Most of the staff were pleasant and helpful although the girl on reception should learn how to smile. Evening entertainment consisted of bingo (very expensive) belly dancer (you've seen one, seen them all- mainly consisted of audience participation), fire dancers (good) Turkish folk dancers (ok) and one night the staff did a sketch show. (mediocre). African dancers were advertised but this was cancelled as it was the end of the season and nothing to replace them.
Towards the end of the week, sun beds and shades were being put away and this made me feel we were in the way.
The weather was glorious apart from one cloudy day, but you do need to wear something warm in the evening.
We took advantage of the bus to Seahorse beach, what a beautiful place, shame about the rubbish left by holidaymakers. I even ventured into the sea which was cold but great once you were in, it was very clear and could see the fish swimming round.
Beware the mess on the beach at Olu Deniz, saw lot of dogs especially in the evenings and no one cleared up after them! Lovely place to watch the sun set and the para gliders come in to land. The shops in the town were in the process of closing for the season and each day you walked down it became more and more of a ghost town
Would I go again? No.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mumh
Barnsley
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Stayed at the Turquoise from 27th Oct – 3rd Nov 2013, 2 Adults = 13yr old, booked via Travel Republic, flew Monarch from Manchester 1 hold bag, parked at Multi Storey T2, Transfers via DM Transfers (excellent), £950 all in, which for a half term holiday is great value. Emailed the hotel in advance to ask for pool view room with evening sun and although received no response got what we asked for. Upon arrival, greeted by matter of fact receptionist who failed to get the time right for the ‘night soup’ (I guess due to the clocks changing the previous night) so we had to dump our bags and trip down the strip to get something to eat – not a great start.

Room – adequate size, decent TV, hard beds, fridge with a bottle of water on arrival but not refilled, never used air con so can’t comment on that, good wardrobe space but the smallest balcony I’ve ever squeezed myself onto, no room to swing a cat, and there is plenty of them!. Safe is £8 for the week, worth it for piece of mind. Cleaners in daily, including the toilet paper bin (eek!) which I will never get used to, sorry, call me old fashioned. First night, 5am mosque call through loudspeakers (!!) nearly frightened us to death, but by day 4 we were almost able to sleep through it.

First impressions – popular with British families, probably 99% are British, good mix of old and young, atmosphere quite relaxed except for the need to have your towel down on a sunbed by 7.30 or face having to sit in the shade for part of the day. The sun comes up at 9.30 and disappears behind a mountain by 4.30, so if you are a sun worshipper like myself, you have to max out during these hours so a decent bed is a must. The weather was absolutely magnificent, one cloudy day otherwise full sunshine between 27-30 degrees every day, compared with the more expensive Canaries, it’s a no brainer if you’re looking for that cheapy week at Oct Half Term. We were even able to extend our room on departure day til 5pm for just 12 quid, bargain. One important point though: it drops cold at night, definitely need long sleeves/hoodie maybe even a jacket if you are nesh.

Food – the dining hall reminded me of a ski lodge, beams and wooden flooring and the food quality and variety was akin to the fuel you take on board after a day on the slopes! 70% of what is available is salad, loads of mayo filled salad material which is probably how the hotel recycle what is left over from previous days – commercial reality of running all inclusive on this scale I guess. At lunch and evening, quite often the chips were cold, the meat was repetitive and you end up supplementing with salad stuff to avoid walking back to your table with a half empty plate. The bread is nice and fresh and the soup is probably where you’ll end up filling up & not all that bad. At breakfast, the long queue for the omelette/pancakes meant myself and my wife hardly ate together all week – bit frustrating. Self service often meant the table cloth is brushed not replaced and cleaned. Coffee is out of a machine, as is the fruit juice, which is very sweet. The white wine is ok, the beer is drinkable out of a glass (its hard plastic cups round the pool) and there is no whiskey included on the all inc. Brandy is Aldi standard ie Napolean.

Prior to lunch a snack bar offers burgers and chips (or croquets when they run out), around 2pm ice creams are available, then its cakes at 4pm. So to be fair, you can generally find enough carbs to keep you going. As we stayed on the very last week of the season, the Ala Carte restaurant was closed. Overall, have to say it, the food was a bit disappointing. If you are used to the culinary delights served up in Antalya, you will be underwhelmed, but just keep reminding yourself of the price ;-)

Facilities - the pool was freezing. And I mean, “FREEZING”, Ive been in warmer ice baths, but I guess that’s what most unheated pools are like in October. The tennis, table tennis, darts and pool tables are free and the Turkish bath/sauna facilities are value for money. The animation team do work hard, no too pushy, particularly with the toddler-10yr age group, bearing in mind it was end of season, there was just enough to just about keep the kids entertained for a week. Particularly since the WiFi is free and available in most places around the hotel, for teens that cant function without Skype and Facetime. We did a boat trip with Pioneer which was really good (equivalent of a tenner each) and visited the Seahorse/Lagoon which is a nice interlude to break up the monotony of the pool (swimming with fishes and cheap peddleos makes up for having to endure the sand – Im not a beach lover!)

Other things worth mentioning: lots of wasps, didn’t get stung as such but if you’re put off by them landing on your skin, bear it in mind. Some broken tiles around the poolside which can get very slippy, particularly down towards the toilets, which themselves are an unpleasant experience. If you’re looking for ‘genuine fakes’ the strip offers you chance to buy leather goods, Beats headphones, kids football shirts and the likes, but be prepared to run the gauntlet of the restaurant proprietors – just wave your wristband at them, it generally makes them back off.

Overall, given when we went, what we paid and the weather, we definitely got value for money. If you can overlook the tired décor and see the food and drink as ‘what you pay for’, then its worth considering at the right price. Our rule is never to revisit, and I have to be honest Antalya is more our bag so even though the beach is picturesque, the paragliding is world class and the natives are very friendly, I doubt we’ll go back to Olu Deniz for a while either.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sm96
England
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

This was the 2nd time that we visited the Turquoise Hotel during the autumn half-term holiday. It’s great for families and excellent value for money. The rooms are fairly simple but comfortable, with nice firm beds and flat screen TVs (in most rooms). They are kept spotless and tidy every day by the lovely cleaning ladies.
The staff are professional and friendly, without being over the top. This year, the entertainment continued until the end of October and the team worked hard. There were no signs of them ‘flagging’, which we have seen in other hotels. We were impressed with April who runs the mini club for children. April presented our 7-year old daughter and her friend with lovely bracelets.
The evening entertainment was good fun and I only wish I’d been there to watch it every night! On our last evening, April asked people for their favourite songs, so that they could play them at the pool bar. The red wine is very pleasant and I enjoyed the Tuborg beer. The coffee/drinks machines were always being replenished by the bar staff.
The food is always excellent. Plenty of choice for breakfast, including pancakes/omelettes (made to order while you wait), fresh fruit and Turkish Delight! Lunches and evening meals were excellent. The roast beef and Yorkshire pudding were excellent and they seem to use high quality ingredients (the roast beef was beautiful). The presentation of the food was often amazing too, including some impressive cakes. During our stay, we never once ate at restaurants in Oludeniz, as the food at the hotel was so good. The hotel’s owner and his family also eat at the hotel, which shows how high the standards are. The restaurant staff are extremely nice – quiet and sometimes a bit shy, but always friendly. The chefs clearly take a pride in their work and serve the hot food with a friendly smile.
As we were waiting for our transfer to the airport (at 6 pm), one of the managers came and encouraged us to grab something to eat in the restaurant before the coach arrived, which was a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2013
10 Thank Tigger42
Stafford
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We arrived late night the receptionist looked miserable a state that did not change throughout the holiday. We arrived at our room which faced the road not the pool or garden as promised. The beds were uncomfortable and the room had not been cleaned properly I found somebody else shower gel in my bed and the sheets were like blankets and very uncomfortable. The cleaning did not improve and we often had to go and find missing towels after reception could not help sometimes you will find them in the shower room.
You must be up at 7.00 to get your towel on a sunbed and many are simply left on all day with nobody using the bed at all (perhaps removal by the hotel if the bed is not used for 90 minutes would allow everyone a chance of a sunbed).
The food was very limited some days there was only 1 choice of a meat dish and it was cold and unappetising. The staff who serve the food give very small servings-perhaps they know how bad the food is. Hygiene was very poor with Dogs and Cats in the indoor restaurant.
The entertainment was advertised but only happened on three nights the week we were there plus one night where the entertainment was Bingo for which they charged £25 for 1 game.
Olu Deniz is quite a run-down resort with a number of closed shops. The beach also allows Dogs which makes it dirty. The hotel runs a free bus to a private beach but when we arrived at 9.15 on the first bus the beach had empty beer bottles on it and had not been cleaned.

Room Tip: Consider another hotel