“Cheap and cheerful little B&B”
Review of Taner Hotel

Taner Hotel
Ranked #6 of 54 Oludeniz B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful little B&B”
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed in September. When we got there we had been given a basement room. The room was great but with a 4ft wall and a further 3ft grass verge for a view, we wasn't happy. We asked to be moved and they were very helpful in doing so. The rooms were basic but clean. Breakfast was good, but basically egg, toast, cereal and fruits. The main food was great value and great tasting. All the staff were happy to help. Rambo the bar man was ok, but he did pay far to much attention to regulars, and his voice was a bit tedious by the end of it. But look past that and he is a great guy very cheerful no matter what time of day/night. The hotel is in a great location for everything. Would I stay there again? Yes.. Would I choose/want to stay there again? No. Its a great place for a cheap last minute holiday.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ScullKandy

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed here on the 26th August till 9th September 2013 and loved every minute of it. When we first arrived the room they tried to give us was too small as there was three of us so we asked demet at reception if we could change and she took us to room garden 1 and it was the best probably as we could leave our air con on because we didn't need to leave the key in for electricity. Rambo was so funny everyday we laughed with him. It's right by everything round the corner from the main strip! The food is lovely as well and cheap and I am a really fussy eater! If your planning on booking it say go for it definitely !!!!!

Room Tip: Garden 1 or on the second floor!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My partner and I have returned to this hotel four times so far, as it is so friendly here. Ignore reports of rude staff members as I have never seen any of them be anything but helpful and friendly. This must be one of the cheapest stays in olu deniz and they have everything you need for a comfortable relaxing time. Some people expect way too much. We paid under £400 each for two weeks and I absolutely loved it. If you don't want it too hot at nights I suggest avoiding August . We preferred the end of May as really hot days but cool at night. The food is really good and affordable on a low budget. There are plenty of bars and restaurants all near by. The whole area is beautiful . I would recommend the 12 island boat trip from the harbour if you only want to do one as the ones from Olu beach are quite boring after you've done it once. I strongly recommend you shop around for any excursion. The prices from your reps will be extortionate . (They want £100 for paragliding which I got on the beachfront for £ 45 ! ) food and drink prices do vary in the season but it is pretty much the same as England. Visit Hissaranu up the road if you want a drink as this is a lot cheaper. Olu Deniz is turkeys poster resort so prices are slightly higher, but if you want to sit wining and dining overlooking the beach watching paragliders landing at sunset you can't beat it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1971bloke
folkestone
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for two weeks from the 19th Aug to the 2nd Sept. Here is my honest opinion. The rooms are basic but adequate and cleaning is ok but limited. Beds are comfortable. I found the staff to be very pleasant and I was shocked to read the review that mentions Rambo as rude. He was extremely friendly and we had great laughs with him so I think this contributor lacks a sense of humour! He went out of his way to make sure we could attend the bbq (which was great and the belly dancers were fab, lots of laughs) and he has a dry sense of humour, he may not be everyones cup of tea but I never once witnessed him being rude. The breakfast was basic but adequate unless your idea of being on holiday is to gorge on english brekkies everyday in which case the gossip bar does an excellent one and is just around the corner. The lunches were good value and pretty nice. We ate out every evening but from what I saw other diners evening meals looked good. If I had a criticism it would be that the cleaners come too early (although they were very sweet girls), sometimes knocking on your door before 9 in the morning, also the noise travels badly and the doors close very loudly. The aircon in the rooms was hard to control so you would get very cold and turn it off and then get very hot etc. To sum up, we paid less than 500 a head for two weeks including flights to stay here so I was very realistic. i have stayed in numerous hotels, 4 star, 3 star etc. If you want fluffy towels, a cooked brekkie and lots of facilities then don't stay here. If you want a decent place to lay your head then this does nicely. We had a fantastic stay and my teenage girls had lots of fun playing pool with Rambo and having laughs.

Room Tip: 2nd floor gets cleaners last so that maybe a good idea!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rookent
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The hotel is a lovely place to enjoy the pool and surrounding ppl that stay their, if it was not for a variety of really nice ppl then the staff would have made it a horrible ppl to stay. Apparently Rambo has made a lot of ppl return to the grand tanner because of how amazing he is with the guests, that could not be further from the truth, he was rude and unsociable from the tart and this can and will be backed up by the the remainder of guests that were their at the same time. He is only interested in ppl who have been visiting for years and is not bothered with new guests. He has ruined the atmosphere within the complex and he is the reason I would not go back, p,us we found out he has been writing his own reviews. By all means have your own opinion but as a 32 yer old man I have an open mind and he was an absolute idiot.

End on a high the overall hotel ie accommodation was fine, pool great with a gleaming bunch of guests, plus olu deniz is a fantastic place to eat shop and chill.

With out Rambo the bar attendant holiday would have been a total success

Room Tip: I was in the basement but found it fine. Pool side rooms better
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard P
Hillingdon
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Not happy that rooms cleaned every day with cleaners starting in hall at 7.30 . I recommend that you ask room top floor as cleaners wouldn't start till respectable time of 11 or 12. Doors need to be banged to close which is another waking annoyance. Staff are friendly and olu deniz is a wonderful place to stay our second trip to turkey but won't be staying in this hotel again should we chose to come back. Recommend trips to daly an and jeep safari. Captain hooks best bar and hang out best restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose top floor stay away from rooms on level with reception
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lorraineratch01
London
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I stayed at the Grand Taner for two weeks between 12th August to the 27th August and picked this particular hotel as it was described as 'small and friendly'. This was a packaged deal through a reputable tour company and therefore trusted the reviews which were written.

I arrived with two young children aged 4 and 9 in the early hours of monday morning. Another family of three (with a child) also arrived at the hotel at the same time. The man at reception took the first family into the hotel and then proceeded to deal with me. He had asked for the passports and told to follow him and I was about to walk into the hotel and was stopped and told to walk around the back of the hotel. I was given a key to 'Garden 1'. The room was dated, dark curtains, cracks in the walls, dirty grout in the bathroom, no shower cubicle, no smoke alarm or safety information and dirty bedding. The toilet flush was broken and had to be fixed on two occasions and the toilet was leaking. This is just naming but a few of the unacceptable standards. I asked for another room but was told the hotel was fully booked and no other rooms available. I was somewhat surprised as it seemed that other rooms were vacant.

The following day I asked to be moved again and was again told the hotel was fully booked, during that week i asked a few times to be moved and was told that I was in a family room to accommodate the number in my group (3 people). I spoke to the owner who also fobbed me off with the same excuse. By the following monday when a number of guest had vacated their room I again asked to be moved and was told by the lady who works at reception 'I will check'. I was not moved but instead new guest then moved into the vacant room and I was left in this below standard room which was clearly not the type of room they would put any other guest in.

The ceiling in the room i was in was made of a dark mahogany wood which made the room even warmer and unbearable. There were no curtains on the doors which was glass and lacked privacy. The workers at the hotel walked back and forth pass the room which made me feel very uncomfortable. There was a house nearby which belonged to the owner which was also very noisy.

I did ask the management to speak to the tour representative and was told that she didn't come to the hotel and they didn't know where she was, eventually I managed to get hold of the rep which was a day before I was about to check out. I asked the tour rep to visit the room my family had been put in. The tour rep visited the room and was appalled at the state of the room and the dirty and ripped bedding. She managed to get me moved for our last night which was a room that could accommodate three people. The new room actually felt like a hotel room not the awful place that I stayed in for the majority of my vacation.

I felt that as the only non white family in the hotel during the two week stay the management did not want us in the hotel. We were originally given a the garden room which was clearly unacceptable for their other guest as the management didn't want to put anyone else there. It is a real shame as the local people were very friendly and very welcoming as were the staff around the hotel it was just the management staff who didn't want to provide us with an alternative room inside the hotel. This was my third time to Turkey and the first time I was treated so badly in such an un welcoming manner.

I feel that the number of positive reviews are misleading. There are a number of guest who frequently return to the Grand Taner who were given the better hotel rooms. I suspect if they were allocated the 'Garden 1 room" they wouldn't return!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family