“Food from Hell”

Ranked #56 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 18 October 2013

FOOD From HELL.
KARBEL BEACH HOTEL OLD DENIZ TURKEY
Please read this and look at the photos if you plan a holiday to this hotel through Thompsons Skytours.
I Strongly recommend that any person thinking of staying at this hotel rethinks before making a booking.
My wife and I booked this holiday after being recommended by our local travel agent who we trusted from previous dealings.
We booked to fly from Edinburgh on the 3rd of October until the 18th Of October at the Karbel Beach Hotel in Olu Deniz Turkey for 14 nights.
After we had booked we checked trip advisor and saw many negative comments mainly about the poor quality of food as my wife is a Coeliac and the correct food is a very important point while on holiday.
We re contacted the travel agent and spoke about the reviews on face book and asked if we could change to a better quality hotel still in the same area and we could be flexible with the dates if need be. We were informed that it would cost us an extra £160.00 just to change the booking this was a Thompson charge? Plus the extra cost for a new booking.
We contacted the Karbel beach hotel and spoke to a person called FERDIE who assured us there would be no problem as the chef would cater to my wife’s medical requirements.
After three days of my wife eating the same vegetables every night I spoke to the chef who stated he did not cook special meals for any one.
We spoke to the Thompsons Rep who was called Daniele and she did speak to the management but to no avail. I was also informed from other visitors that they had lodged complaints about the poor standard of food and as my wife and I were speaking to the rep another lady came forward and stated that 2 of her children refused to eat the food because it was so bad.
The food was terrible and every evening was the same thing with the same vegetables. It looked inedible and was inedible.
Breakfast was hard boiled black rimmed cold eggs every morning except a Friday when you get dried out scrambled eggs that were always left as again they were overcooked and rubbery.
French sticks were available but were that dry you had to toast them to make them edible.
After paying for to be supplied a dinner meal we were forced to go out and pay for food that we had already paid for. It was disgusting.

The chef stood picking his nose and flicking it behind the counter.
When I came to pay my bill for drinks there were 3 x 24 liera overcharges on my card at times we were not even in the hotel.

I will attach photos of the food on offer and let your readers see what is on offer before they book.
The quite hotel ? had none stop loud music until after midnight every night.

Room Tip: block 2 upper floors less noise
9  Thank Holly1944
There are newer reviews for Karbel Beach Hotel

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Nice hotel really clean ideal grounds lovely location ideal for all amenities but pity about the staff really miserable not very friendly and the cook needs too know how to cook anything other than chicken needs some improvements

Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 weeks 9th sept -23rd sept.we were given one of the dreaded dungeon rooms with no view but it wasn't so bad.If you like chicken every night you will be ok we had to eat out several times to get away from it.The restaurant staff so miserable they didn't speak only turcan at the bar spoke we found this quite rude seeing Turkish people are very friendly.Pool was lovely plenty of beds to choose from.The maids worked very hard keeping rooms clean with the odd towel shapes now and again.Bar food very nice and cheap.would stay again but not in dungeon room maybe the restaurant staff could improve for next year.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed here for two weeks at the beginning of September. I was impressed at the cleanliness of the hotel and the grounds. It is a small hotel but had everything we needed. It was ideally situated near all the bars and restaurants in Olu Deniz and it was very easy to get the local dolmas buses into Hisaronu or Fethiye. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and the food was quite good especially the evening meal. My only problem was you had to pay for water with your evening meal which I felt as we had paid half board we should have free water to drink in the evenings. Breakfast was minimal just hard boiled eggs and bread but to be honest there were so many lovely restaurants around I just went out for breakfast. All in all I had a lovely holiday and I would definately return to the Karbel Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms were small with even smaller balconies but didn't spend much time in there! Air con worked...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Arrived on 24-8-13, myself & wife, in-laws & 2 teenage kids (18 & 14) for 2 weeks. On arrival, 11pm ish, quickly filled out forms, were issued with purchase cards, shown to our 3 rooms, then went to bar for a drink. Bar manager Turcan very friendly, sat down & chatted with us, told him we previously stayed at sister hotel Karbel in 2008. Rooms good, had one problem with a/c leaking & one with balcony door sticking. Both sorted immediately. Cant understand negative reviews as this hotel is lovely. Staff are attentive & funny, pool good & nice temp, quiet just with background music from bar. Snack bar prices fair for food & drink. OK, breakfast is basic, but how many hotels in Turkey serve a fry-up ? Dinner fine, plenty of choice, waiters always on hand for drinks etc. Close to town centre & beach, although note water shelves quickly. We spent most days around pool as such a nice atmosphere. Reference purchase card system, these people who say had to dispute bill each time settled ?? With every food or drink order you are given a printed till receipt. We settled it every 3-4 days, was spot-on each time. We actually prefered this hotel to The Karbel as smaller & very friendly. For a 3 Star hotel at 3 Star prices, we couldn't fault it, had a fantastic holiday.Not sure what some people expect, they seem to have a totally different experience to the 95% satisfied customers. In saying that, one family did tell us they couldn't wait to go home as it was too hot(Turkey in August !) & the food was too foreign.(Strange that, Turkish food in Turkey !). Wouldn't hesitate to go back here although just booked for Tunisia 2014. Had no intention of writing a review as assumed would all be good, only out of interest just took a look & thought had to give what we consider a fair & true review of this small, friendly & value for money hotel.Hope I've redressed the balance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank davethegas
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel recently as we were going to a wedding near by, when we fist got there, there was confusion as they have 2 hotels and had booked us into the other one so we had to wait until we could be moved over, but once we got there it was fantastic, the room was huge but the bed was as hard as a rock. The food was amazing and for the price it really was a steal.
It is in a fantastic location but was still quiet.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hayse63
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have just returned from a 10 night holiday at the Karbel Beach. This is our third holiday in Olu Deniz, having stayed at the Karbel Hotel and Tower. Out of the three, I can honestly say, the Karbel Beach was the most relaxing, and the best. I wasn't expecting much as I'm aware that it's one of the cheaper hotels, but have to admit that it exceeded expectations. The food is bought in from the Karbel Hotel and I can't remember it being so good there. Breakfast is the standard boiled eggs, cheese and cooked meats etc. with the odd days of scrambles eggs, omelettes and sauté potato . The standard of the evening meal was very good too, with a choice of chicken, meat or vegetable mains with ample meze.
We stayed in room 211, which was a family room so quite large and overlooking the pool. The shower leaked a bit and the sheets on the bed had a couple of holes, but otherwise couldn't have been better.
The staff are really friendly, which is the first time in Olu Deniz where there hasn't been one person who was ignorant (one porter in Karbel Hotel and barman in Tower).
Overall a fab holiday, and would Karbel Beach would certainly be my first choice when we return in two years.

Room Tip: For a change, go to Madras for a curry, it's really good! Also Joseph's is good for a meal...
2  Thank dizzydi711