“chicken hell!!!”

Ranked #61 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
“chicken hell!!!”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

arriving at hotel we went to reception to be greeted by a miserable man who could hardly be bothered to speak.
room was clean but small and the balcony was so small you could only put 2 chairs out but to open the door you had to move 1 chair out the way.
staff in general very unfriendly.
dinner was chicken in some form every evening.

Room Tip: none to share!
5 Thank Janekjane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We have stayed in the Karbel Beach Hotel twice this year July 1st and Sept. 27th, the rooms are adequate, I agree the beds are a bit hard, I put a blanket under my bottom sheet and found it more comfortable. We were in block 3 then 4. The rooms were always clean and the showers hot. The air conditioning was brilliant, so we have no complaints there.

We liked the food, there was always a salad alternative in the evening if you didn't like the 2 choices. The staff were always friendly and helpful.

Location was brilliant, you are near the main shopping area and beach. We had a lovely holiday both times and hope to return next year. This is a 3 star hotel so if you want better you have to pay more.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lesleycut
Ely, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My wife and I were staying for one week starting on 6th September 2013 on a half board basis. The room 210 in block 2 was basic, the beds were very hard and on the small side, only one foam pillow each. The shower and wc were ok. The AC was effective but not easy to set up. Bed linen consisted of a bottom sheet but no top sheet just a cotton throw, all were clean as were the towels and the basic room. The balcony was minute, just room for 2 chairs with no table. Breakfast was basc with a good selection of salad. Coffee and tea was rubbish from a machine with no option of real coffee so take your own and add hot water ! Lunch was basic snacks, the evening dinner that was included in our board was dreadful, just reheated and over cooked leftovers from the previous day. We tried it twice and then discovered the "Help Restaurant " just down the street on the sea front, there the food and prices were excellent, there are many other eating places to choose from so give the hotel food a miss.We travelled with Thomson, we booked 3 trips with their rep Daniele, one was a no go because it was under subscribed, Danelle promised a refund everyday but it did not happen, we eventually got our money back 4 weeks later after many phone calls to Thomson without even an apology.
All in all the staff were friendly and helpful.
We will not be returning..

Chris & Alan

Room Tip: Specify you do not have a ground floor room. Do not book half board.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alan C
solihull
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I was not going to write a review as the reviews already written are fairly well balanced. However after reading the latest review i felt inclined to state my opinion having stayed at the hotel the same 14 days as the reviewer. Normally when a hotel has reasonable good reviews and then someone scores it well below the other ratings and also writes a lot of harsh criticism it is usually because they have personally had a mishap such as an accident, illness or theft. The review in question is no different in that the guest had allegedly been informed that the chef would cook meals specifically for them but failed to do so. The reviewer then criticises the food and the chef.
It was our first time at the hotel and chatted to a lot of other guests some who had returned to the hotel for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and even 7th time. All the other guests enjoyed and were complimentary regarding the food. It is not 5 star cordon bleu but fresh healthy 3 star food. If anyone had dietary choices to make there was always a large selection of appertising salads to choose from as well as the hot meal menu. Although there was no large selection of vegetables on offer there was a different option on consecutive days; it would not have been possible to have the same vegetables on 3 consecutive days.
The dining staff was friendly and the service good. The chef(s) were also chatty,cheerful and well presented. I would not expect anyone who picked their nose and flicked the contents while serving food would remain in their job for very long - especially a chef.
If you do enjoy a full British cholesterol packed breakfast then you would have been disappointed as only a continental style cold buffet is available and only cornflakes offered as a cereal choice. The boiled eggs were no different as in the UK. The bread available consisted of small rolls or light white bread no different to the UK so to state it was dry and then toast them is mystifying - why not spread butter on it?
I was not aware of any loud music after midnight i often had a last drink in the bar at that time it was always quite apart from chatting.

Other points.
The prices of items at the hotel are competitive with the rest of OluDeniz.
An hour on the internet was £1.
A pint of beer £2.30 or £1.50 during happy hour.
A vodka and mixer was £2.00 during happy hour.
Cocktails were a good strength and were either £1.50 or £2 (can't remember exactly) every sunday.

The room we had was immaculately clean, air conditioning was not noisy, the fridge was a useful addition, no issues with the shower, the accommodation although not over spacious was acceptable for 2.
One criticism was although the guests were predominately british the night receptionist struggled with the language and consequently it was always best to speak with the daytime receptionist.
The location was perfect - 2-3 minutes from the beach and the main drag.
I was unsure to mark the hotel 4 or 5 but have decided on a 5 as I had a good room, enjoyed my stay, the ambiance and also the food as I fully expected a 3 star offering from a 3 star hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms - A lot has been said about the rooms. There are building regs in Olu Deniz so no building can...
11 Thank solihullblaze
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from the 7th to the 14th October and we can say it was the worst 3 star hotel that we have ever stayed at. One our second day at the hotel I had my new sports watch stolen from my bedroom as we locked everything of value away but because I was going to go out for a run I left my watch on the dressing table but when we returned to the hotel at lunch time the watch was gone. The only people that entered our room was the cleaners/chamber maids but the hotel management was not at all interest in what happened and told us that this kind of thing had not happened previously and I was made feel that I had made this up. My watch wasn't off great value (£160) but it was a birthday present and I just couldn't believe that somebody had just taken it from the room.
Also, the food in the hotel was just terrible, no variety and very poor indeed, we ate dinner in the hotel once and we paid for half board.
We found the management at the hotel rude and uninterested in any comments we made about the hotel.
We are dinner out in the lovely resort everyday and we received good service and lovely food so it was just the hotel that was awful.
I wouldn't want to put anybody off and we are all different and expectations vary but our view is that this hotel ticked no positive boxes for us.

Room Tip: Ensure that your bedroom is not directly above the snooker table, restaurant and music. We asked for...
2 Thank Janette W
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

FOOD From HELL.
KARBEL BEACH HOTEL OLD DENIZ TURKEY
Please read this and look at the photos if you plan a holiday to this hotel through Thompsons Skytours.
I Strongly recommend that any person thinking of staying at this hotel rethinks before making a booking.
My wife and I booked this holiday after being recommended by our local travel agent who we trusted from previous dealings.
We booked to fly from Edinburgh on the 3rd of October until the 18th Of October at the Karbel Beach Hotel in Olu Deniz Turkey for 14 nights.
After we had booked we checked trip advisor and saw many negative comments mainly about the poor quality of food as my wife is a Coeliac and the correct food is a very important point while on holiday.
We re contacted the travel agent and spoke about the reviews on face book and asked if we could change to a better quality hotel still in the same area and we could be flexible with the dates if need be. We were informed that it would cost us an extra £160.00 just to change the booking this was a Thompson charge? Plus the extra cost for a new booking.
We contacted the Karbel beach hotel and spoke to a person called FERDIE who assured us there would be no problem as the chef would cater to my wife’s medical requirements.
After three days of my wife eating the same vegetables every night I spoke to the chef who stated he did not cook special meals for any one.
We spoke to the Thompsons Rep who was called Daniele and she did speak to the management but to no avail. I was also informed from other visitors that they had lodged complaints about the poor standard of food and as my wife and I were speaking to the rep another lady came forward and stated that 2 of her children refused to eat the food because it was so bad.
The food was terrible and every evening was the same thing with the same vegetables. It looked inedible and was inedible.
Breakfast was hard boiled black rimmed cold eggs every morning except a Friday when you get dried out scrambled eggs that were always left as again they were overcooked and rubbery.
French sticks were available but were that dry you had to toast them to make them edible.
After paying for to be supplied a dinner meal we were forced to go out and pay for food that we had already paid for. It was disgusting.

The chef stood picking his nose and flicking it behind the counter.
When I came to pay my bill for drinks there were 3 x 24 liera overcharges on my card at times we were not even in the hotel.

I will attach photos of the food on offer and let your readers see what is on offer before they book.
The quite hotel ? had none stop loud music until after midnight every night.

Room Tip: block 2 upper floors less noise
9 Thank Holly1944
Crewe, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Nice hotel really clean ideal grounds lovely location ideal for all amenities but pity about the staff really miserable not very friendly and the cook needs too know how to cook anything other than chicken needs some improvements