“The truth about the Karbel from a Travel Agent and partner...”
Review of Karbel Hotel

Karbel Hotel
Ranked #42 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend have just come back from a week at the Karbel Hotel half board in July. Below is an honest, British review of this hotel:

Positives: Great location, right next to the top of the strip. Rooms were cleaned daily, and the cleaners were friendly and made the most of the rooms with towel sculptures and other such things. Fantastic pool area, plenty of sun loungers with comfy padding. Good pool snacks and beverages, such as ice cold slushes. Easy to use card payment system. Our room was 610, and the mountain view we had off our balcony was lovely.

Negatives: The room was quite basic, but we knew this beforehand. However, the door was a little ajar in our room, so we could hear everything outside. Everything in the room did work however, and the fridge was good for keeping chilled water and snacks in. Our room was near the bar area, which was very loud until around 12ish, so trying to sleep before then was a struggle at the best of times. Our advice is request a room away from the bar and pool area. However, the areas that really let the hotel down were the half board food and the service.

The breakfast and dinner options included in the half board option were limited to say the least. Basically, the hotel has all the food options available, but anything worth having you would be charged for. So if you're going to the hotel don't bother with the half board. We had it for free, and still I would say it was a waste of money. Finally the service. If you asked staff questions they were not very helpful or interested. They only seemed to be interested in those who spend money with them, not that we didn't, as we did spend plenty at the snack bar. The service really is a mix here, if they like you they treat you as family, if they don't get that vibe they do as little as
possible to help. I should say the rep Sue was lovely and very helpful.

Overall, I would say a great hotel if you're going to spend your time by the pool and eat out at night. If you like to eat meals in the hotel and watch the entertainment then give this a miss.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank JamesSLindsayB
There are newer reviews for Karbel Hotel

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weeks holiday, we booked as a party if 4, we had two separate rooms! When we booked we requested rooms next to one another and for them not to be on the ground floor. Neither of these requests were fulfilled, however, this was the only down fall! Our room was small but clean and has everything we needed (although the shower was a little small) the staff were very polite! The reception staff were very helpful! We were able to pay our hotel card off daily and had no trouble with this, what we had calculated we used each day matched up to theirs! The hotel was in a great position, close to the beach and all local amenities! The pool was clean and we always managed to get sun loungers, even on days that we didn't get to the pool until after 10am, the only downside was that there were quite a few wasps in and around the pool! Overall the hotel was all we needed to have an enjoyable stay in olu deniz!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Clark22489
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Been back a week after a fantastic holiday. The hotel was spotless and clean. The pool area was big enough to accommodate all guests. Only negative here was to many ball being thrown in the pool. The pool bar food was very good, and 12tl for a chicken kebab, chips and salad buffet was excellent. I love the card system used to pay for things at the hotel. We paid after the first week, then again at the end. The safe was good value to at 30tl for a week.
The room was a good size for two, twin beds and a sofa bed, nice bathroom and free fridge, hairdryer and aircon. We have normally had to pay extra for these.
We booked some trips with Sue the Thomson rep and the Jeep safari with local agents, (defo recommended to do this, water guns blasting each other and other Jeeps, classic).
Went to Billy's beach most days, went to paradise beach once, not what I would call paradise!! I walked to the next beach along and on to Billy's again. The food here was good, ( the biggest jacket potato I have ever seen, delicious..)
All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone, no problem. The area is lovely, the weather fab and the lira rate was excellent.

Room Tip: I emailed hotel in advance for block 9 as I read other reviews on line. I was in 956. Middle floor i...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank loberta
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my 3rd time to olu deniz I love the place but did not like the karbel hotel at all didn't feel welcome at all. The hotel is very clean and the cleaners do a great job and they are always happy and smiling and always try and talk to you the man who takes the pics was always happy too but the other staff I just found a bit rude. When you arrive you receive a card you use this to pay drinks food etc I went to reception to pay the bill I kept all my receipts and I worked out a different amount to theirs so I asked to see what I had ordered they had added drinks that I hadn't ordered on my card I refused to pay for drinks that hadn't ordered and they got all funny about it. Also at the barbecue evening I ordered my drinks with a waiter he asked for my room card so gave it to him he came back with the drinks and I asked him in a nice manner if I get the room card back his reply "I'm too busy I'm not superman" I didn't know what to say I was in shock there where plenty of waiters working that night. Another thing I found annoying was when your eating they stand by your table to hurry you up to eat your food or drink as soon as they see you eat your last mouthful there hands are on your plates to take them away I just felt I couldn't enjoy my holiday. Wifi was a nightmare too never had problems at the other hotels I stayed In before when I went last year to olu deniz. Location of the hotel is great close to bars restraunts etc. I'm sure other people have had different experiences to me at this hotel but mine was not good I won't be going back to this hotel I will choose one of the ones I went to before.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Kim D
Reviewed 17 August 2014

we stayed here in may you come out of the hotel and it is a short walk to the beach you can also get the bus if you want to go to different places. The hotel room was very clean we has air conditioning and a fridge at no extra cost which we thought was very good we also had a deal with the travel agents which upgraded us to half board for 1p extra each.I found that the choice of food was not to my taste so we eat out most days.There was a good choice of restaurants around the hotel.I would not hesitate to return to this hotel as we enjoyed our stay here

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dave777qq
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 11 nights and it is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. I can't wait to come back, we want to return as soon as we can. There is not one negative thing I can think of to say about this hotel at all.

The rooms were a good size and had everything you needed in them. All the rooms had balcony's where you could hang up your towels or just sit and relax, although there was only just enough room for two chairs. But that didn't matter because we only really used the balcony for hanging up washing, we didn't come all the way to Turkey to sit on our room balcony all day. The room had a large wardrobe, drawers, a dresser with a big mirror, bedside table, even a fridge; all the basics were there. The bathroom was larger than I expected and the shower was very good and powerful nearly all the time. The whole room was immaculate when we arrived and each time the cleaners cleaned it. The cleaners were excellent and our one in particular (unfortunately I don't know her name) was very friendly and always had a smile and said hello. Overall, the room was perfect size and we had enough space to store all our belongings. We had no problems with the room whatsoever. The only downside is that the rooms had no Wi-Fi, you have to go down to the lobby to receive Wi-Fi but for me that wasn't really a problem. It got my brother out of bed in the morning to get downstairs to check his messages.

The food was superb every meal. We were half board so we had breakfast and dinner at the hotel and it was amazing. There was a great variety of food - including vegetarian options and as the dinner food is done on a 2 week rota we never had the same evening meal. There was a lot of traditional food to really get the Turkish feel. The food was very healthy with a variety of salads and fruit and veg. The main courses were always delicious along with the soup for starters. There was a good choice for pudding from chocolate cake to watermelon slices. Breakfast was also very good, there is not really anything bad I can say. It was served from 7:30 until 10, which means that it was early enough for people who had early excursions who would pick them up at 8 and also it stayed long enough for those people who wanted a lie in. You always had the choice to sit inside or outside, well that's if there were any tables left, which there usually were.

The waiters were absolutely amazing and so friendly. I want to thank every single one of them. They were very polite and always asked you how you were and even offered to take your food to your table for you. They would always make us laugh and were so helpful. I became quite good friends with a few of them after seeing them every morning and evening for nearly two weeks! Again, I can't say a bad word about them.

The lobby was very clean and welcoming with plenty of chairs and seats to choose from. The lobby was where you could find Wi-Fi and although I've read some reviews on here saying it was weak/slow for me it was very good and fast. There is also a small tourist library area where you can take a book and leave your old book there and next to that an internet area with a computer that you could use. The lobby also had a TV which you could control the channels and it was very comfortable. The lobby bar was great and the barmen, much like the waiters, were very friendly and likeable. Erdal in particular seemed very nice and he made great cocktails.

The pool was a good size and was always very clean. The water was a lovely temperature, cool but not cold, just perfect for the hot Turkish weather. The hotel also had some floats and rubber rings that anyone was free to use. The pool got gradually deeper so it was good for children and adults. There was also a very shallow pool next to it for babies and young children. There was plenty of space and a good amount of sun loungers around the pool and there was also a pool table, so plenty to do. There was a problem with people reserving sun loungers in the morning by leaving towels on them, but the staff sorted that out. If they noticed a towel was left on a lounger for a long time unattended, they would move it. There was also a poolside bar for during the day and some tables for people to sit at. Again, the staff in the poolside bar were very friendly and helpful and we will miss them all.

The weather was great everyday so we often went down to the beach. The hotel is in an ideal location just at the top of the strip and a few hundred metres walk down the strip and you're on the beach. The location really could not have been any better, it was perfect. The night life was amazing. There was a great choice of chill out bars and lively dance bars too, you were spoilt for choice. I would recommend VIP dance bar as that is the one that we found was the most lively and had a great atmosphere. The only thing I will say is if you are really shy and don't like dancing then maybe stay away from the front because they drag people up onto the bar to dance which can be very embarrassing. But overall it is a great place to spend an evening and I think they are open until 6am. There were also so many companies down the strip which were doing excursions. We did a few. Paragliding was amazing and the views were fantastic. We also went on a boat trip with easy riders, which is also the company we went paragliding with. It was all very good and at a great price too, I would recommend this company. We also went on a jeep safari booked through Zorro which was one of the best days we had, so again I would recommend.

Overall, everything good, everyone friendly, best holiday I have ever been on and I'm planning to come back as soon as I can! I only got back to England two days ago but I miss everyone like crazy! Will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Rose H
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just returned from a very stressful holiday. Items were taken from our ground floor bedroom including debit card money and passports. The hotel manager was not helpful or sympathetic and we weren't allowed to call the police from the hotel (told it wasn't hotel policy)! We had to walk to the Police Station late at night by ourselves. We also had to go to the British Consulate and were left stressed and my youngest daughter could only get to sleep by sharing a single bed with me! Other members of staff such as waiters and cleaners were polite and helpful. We had read that the type of safes used at the hotel ie. key instead of code safes are not always secure because staff can access the keys, but after what happened to us I would definitely recommend keeping valuables especially passports in a safe. Although at the British Consulate we met a family who had a safe taken from their rented villa!! The bedrooms are small but adequate, firm beds, apart from childs' foam bed. Air conditioning good. Basic continental breakfast majoring on hard boiled eggs! Good evening acts, and the position of hotel is very central.

Room Tip: We had to have a ground floor bedroom for access but a room on a higher floor may be more secure. Ot...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family