“The Dorian Hotel - is it the fawlty towers of Turkey?????”
Review of Dorian Hotel

Dorian Hotel
Ranked #93 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After reading all the reviews i booked the dorian with great trepidation however at the price i paid (and the reviews i read) i really didn't expect much more than a dirty roof over my head.

On arrival i was therefore a little bit surprised...... so to sum it up....

The Room
We had a ground floor room which as requested on booking was away from the disco area. The room was spotlessly clean with fully working fridge, air con, shower etc. It overlooked the garden area which was well maintained and full of fruit such as limes, oranges and bananas.

The cleaners came in daily and gave us fresh towels on a daily basis. The towels and bedding were always left in pretty designs and on our second morning were adorned with leavers and flowers which was a lovely touch.

The pool areas were clean and no issues getting sun loungers etc.

Bar area did have a not so nice smell if you sat in one area - the solution is simple really. Don't sit in that area. Music was on until approx 11.30/ 12pm every night. If your room backed onto the entertainment area then this could be an issue if you like your early nights.

Dining room was clean and tidy and as you can see into the kitchen it also looked clean and tidy.

You could at times smell the animals (which looked well looked after) but again if you moved slightly it wasn't an issue.

The food (and drinks)
The food was really good. There was a wide selection and i really don't understand how anyone can complain.
Oh wait a minute.....I can!!! Certain individuals such as one charming young guest who stated "oh god there's nothing to eat AGAIN so i'll just have to have chips AGAIN." If all you eat is crap like chips and burgers and cannot venture away from that then yeah the selection is poor. (Though you could have chips every night!)
On the other hand if you like fresh salads and things such as BBQ/ grilled chicken, fresh cooked pizza, fresh grilled fish, chicken stews, mousakka etc then you'll be fine.

Drinks were fine - you could get a variety of teas and coffee throughout the day. I guess people have a point that you can't get diet versions of things but for me that wasn't a particular issue as i don't drink much fizzy stuff. The bar staff do have a tendency to be quite liberal with the drinks so watch amounts of spirits etc they put in!!!

The Staff
Again there have been quite a lot of negative comments. In some situations i think their banter has been misinterpreted as rudeness. Also maybe some people need to think about how they speak to others because unlike in the uk where you have to suck up rudeness and smile sweetly and get on with it it really doesn't work like that abroad. Yes at times service was slightly slow and not always with a smile but most of the times it was fine and i don't think i saw these guys have a day off in the week we were there so maybe consider that before you criticise.

I was pleasantly surprised by my stay and if i needed a cheap break in the sun i would return. I just hope this review helps people make an informed choice.

Room Tip: unless you like to party or have late nights request a room away from the bar/ entertainment area
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank rebecca s

Reviewed 29 October 2013

(30 yr old stayed in late October 2013 and paid £110 for the hotel)

Pros:

The room was simple, but clean and most things worked most of the time. to be honest past sleeping and washing in the room you shouldn't expect much more from this price.

The food was easily the highlight. Well above what I had expected the kitchen churn out tasty fresh local food 3 times a day with a wide variety. If your family are used to frozen rubbish every day when you're at home and are culturally challenged when it comes to meal times then you might struggle, but we ate there 3 times a day most days and didn't get bored. The price was worth it for the food alone.

The bar is what it is. but when it comes down to it, we had beer,wine and soft drinks on tap at any time of day for free...it wasnt the best quality...but who would expect it to be!

The pool was simple but fine if not a bit chilly upon entry. We had amazing weather so i guess that helped the entire experience as well.

the table tennis table and pool table was in usable order and provided us a break from the sun

Cons:

My room was directly opposite the dance floor and the bar plays loud music till 11:30-midnight-ish 7 days a week. This was ok some nights but others id have liked an early night and couldnt. My friends however had the forethought to request a quiet room upon booking and slept fine at 10pm. Ive no idea if theyd have moved me, as i didnt bother asking.

The bar and pool area was in need of a bit of a clean

Some of the staff are a bit moody but, i would be if i worked in an all inclusive 2 star hotel. End of the day the did their jobs, albeit sometimes with a mumble

Conclusion:
If i was guaranteed a quieter room on a night and i got it at the same cheap price, id prob stay here again if i needed some last minute sun. The great weather helped but i generally had a fab time.

Room Tip: request quiet room away from bar
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank yorkguest909
Reviewed 27 October 2013

What a total let down!

Stayed in October 2013 and would NEVER come to this hotel again. We didn't go for a 'last minute' cheap deal, we booked early and asked for a pool/sea view. What we got:

Room
We were given a basement room with a broken shower and a distgusting sewage smell coming from the bathroom, 1 foot towel for five days to mop up all the water coming out from the broken shower. We went to the reception day-after-day to ask to be moved as the music was also pumping until the early hours so we couldn't sleep. We were polite when asking to be moved, perhaps that was our mistake - we were left there for 5/7 days of our holiday!

Bar area
Disgusting, rotten beer smell throughout the whole holiday. The tall, young guy that worked in the bar as everone else has commented is the rudest person I've ever encountered on any holiday.

Pool area
Filthy. Finally cleaned when everyone was relaxing in the afternoon trying to enjoy the sun. I'm the person who got soaked by the young, rude guy from the bar. My phone, kindle, a book, towels and sandals were soaked from the broken hose he was using. An apology wasn't forthcoming, only given after much insistence.

We found the food good, there was something for everyone. One of the waitor's was a genuinely nice person, he was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Don't accept a basement room
1  Thank M K
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Preordered cot for my grandson, it wasnt there, they had to find one next day, and when it came it was a travel cot with broken side. Food was fine but not a diet drink in whole place which is bad if you are a diabetic like me. Would I stay there again. No.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

I agree with all other reviews above,
Bar staff were vile,if you went out of the hotel to eat or drink they ignored you on your return,made you wait for drinks already paid for(all inclusive) choice of drinks were limited often with no mixers!!!!!!!!! Bar areas disgusting,food was average for all inclusive dining room dirty,no entertainment for the whole 2 weeks we were there 2-16 oct,I tried to speak to the hotel owner,who was non responsive and didn't seem to care,on the plus side rooms were spotless the girls worked very hard and always had a smile,good location will def be back to oludeniz but never again this hotel I would rather stay in a tent.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Karen L
Reviewed 20 October 2013

For what we paid the hotel and food were ok but it lets itself down massively on hygiene and choice of bar staff.

Its impossible to find a clean table in the restaurant unless you are first there, tables covered in crumbs, food, dirty plates etc. Floor is filthy, we had a storm and the floor was covered in inches of water, when after an hour or so a member of staff decided to clean the water up, it was a muddy brown colour as it was that long since the marble floor had been cleaned.

Scruffy pool areas, two days after the storm when we left the pool was still full of dead leaves.

Bar area. If you sit at the bar it stinks of the two inches of stale beer that the staff wade through rather than clean it up. They had no tonic water for the whole week we were there and tried to con one guest by using sparkling water instead. Extremely rude bar staff who pretend they have lost their voices rather than say hello, thank you etc. Music pounding out until early hours despite guests leaving the bar early, mainly due to the staff.

On the plus side its in a great location, 5 mins from beach and main strip, which if you are a guest of this hotel, is where you will spend most of your time. Would return to Olu Deniz but not this hotel.

Room Tip: choose one in another hotel
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Having seen the rest of the recent reviews on here, it is good to see that the bar staff - particularly the youngest of the two guys - are getting the criticism they so rightly deserve.

To be fair, we may have been tempted to go back to the Dorian because the food and room offered decent enough value for money (we only paid £98 each for the week), but the shocking service ensured we'll be forking out a little extra for another hotel on our next trip to Oludeniz.

To be fair, the older of the two barmen was friendly enough and always had a few nice words to say etc, but the young thin lad was objectionable to say the least. He barely gave people a second glance, let alone a word, when serving them and spent most evenings drunk, with the music turned up to ridiculous levels, and could often be found dancing or gyrating in the faces of guests (who were waiting for a drink) on top of the bar.

To top it off, on our last day, he was instructed (we think) to clean the floor of the bar area before proceeding to soak everyone enjoying a drink without any hint of an apology. One lady had to jump into the pool to clean off after he sprayed her with dirty water when she was trying to relax on her lounger by the pool. Her husband demanded an apology and we're not sure he ever got one!

One of the bar ladies was also very unwelcoming. I spilt my beer by my lounger and when I tried to explain to her that I was happy to clean it up, she looked disgusted, said something to me in Turkish, poured me another beer, and when I again asked if I could have a paper towel or something similar to wipe it up, she waved me away and said "BYE". Needless to say, the floor is probably still sticky now.

The rest of the hotel staff were also quite unwelcoming but it was the bar staff who were the worst of a bad bunch.

As mentioned, for what we paid, we could not complain about the room (dated but clean) and the food. I didn't go near the salads because they looked a bit oily but I'm sure they tasted okay, and having a BBQ with fresh fish and kebabs was an added bonus. Otherwise, the range of food was fine, and pretty much what we could have hoped for from a 2* all-inclusive hotel. The only night we were disappointed was the first night but having burgers available at 4pm, and cakes and biscuits at 5pm was just another nice touch, which we would have not expected for the low price. So absolutely no complaints on the food front. We ate out two nights but only because we had planned to beforehand.

Overall, it's very much a case of 'you get what you pay for' with the Dorian. The only other complaint would be that the small pool, where we spent most of our time, is a bit too cold for most people. I swam in it two or three times but would have probably swam more if it was warmer. The other pool did not appeal because of the loud music that started at 11am and didn't really stop all day.

The location of the hotel is fantastic but the shocking service means we'll never be staying here again. However, if you can stand very poor service and you are on a very limited budget, then you should be fine. Otherwise, stay away!

Room Tip: Do NOT accept a room in the block next to the smaller pool (below dining area) because the music wil...