“Lost its way..”

Dorian Hotel
Ranked #94 of 103 Hotels in Oludeniz
“Lost its way..”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed in the Dorian three times since 2011, the first time it was a real pleasant suprise for how much it had cost us {cheap as chips}, the second time was fantastic a dream bargain holiday, but in May 2013 the last time we stayed at the Dorian it had gone down bank in a big way, It was dirty inside and out, the staff didn't seem to care about the place and generally it was the pits, the young lad behind the bar, was blasting out unknown dub-step all day long, and nobody {senior staff} told him to change the tune. plus the bottom bar was disgusting and a hygeine inspector would have a field day.. It's a shame because this once, not too long ago was a very nice cheap hotel.. but personally they would have too pay me to stay there now.

Room Tip: Book another hotel, or try and get a room at the top pool..
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at the Dorian hotel for one week at the very beginning of May and in all my years of travelling this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in! I was not expecting 4 or even 5 star as I had a booked a cheap all-inclusive holiday. However this hotel has a star rating of 3 which I feel even that is not even deserved!.
I arrived late at night and our rep had to go and find the receptionist from somewhere. The porters who arrived to carry the bags were scruffy and all the staff were very young. it turned out the porters were also the barmen who worked the pool bar every day. I only ever saw one girl actually wearing some kind of uniform which was a t-shirt with the name of the hotel on it. The bar staff seemed to wear the same clothes all the time.
The next morning I decided not to go down for breakfast as I was very tired, however at around 10 am I was awakened by very loud dance music blaring out. I imagined it was aerobics or some thing going on round the pool as my room was over the pool. How wrong could I have been, this loud dance music came from the bar and went on all day and until about midnight every day and night! It usually got louder in the evenings as well! After the second day of this constant music I took to wearing earplugs when ever I was in my room as I could not stand it anymore! Still even this did not drown out the noise!
I couldn't even go to the bar in the evening as there was only the one bar where you could get a drink and there was nowhere quiet to sit unless you went and sat on the dirty sunbeds around the other pool! I had booked an all inclusive holiday as I was travelling alone and did not want the hassle of going out on my own each night. After the second night, this was my only option to escape the noise!
The bar staff were also rude and very ignorant. There was one evening when I returned to the hotel and there was not many people at the bar, so I decided to have a drink. I got a glass of wine and then asked for just a glass of coke which one barman served me. I then asked the other barman for another glass of wine after I had finished the first one, only to be told that I was only allowed one drink after 10.30pm and as still had the coke I could not have another wine. I explained it was only coke and I was not ordering lots of drinks for after the bar closed. he simply shrugged his shoulders, pulled a face and walked off. So I finished the coke and asked him again for another glass of wine. This time he ignored me completely and went to serve someone else. I waited til he had finished and asked again. Still nothing. Then two more people came to the bar and he refused to serve them as by now it was 11pm. I once again asked for my glass of wine, but was now told, I was too late even though I had asked him well before 11pm. I was just about to leave the bar when a girl who had being playing pool and obviously flirting all night with the bar staff came to the bar and asked for 'two' drinks, which the barman immediately served her and said nothing about asking for two drinks or that it was after 11pm! I was absolutely disgusted by the service and went to my room. I never went to the bar again after this incident!
I must also add about how the bar area smelt so bad, I do not know what it was! The bar staff would sit on the shelves and smoke cigarettes behind the bar as well. The glasses were only rinsed and I never saw anyone cleaning the shelves or using detergent to wash the glasses.
My room was only cleaned twice in the week I was there. The first time they cleaned it they took off the top sheet and this was never replaced for the rest of the week.
There was only hot water for a shower ever now and then. I think I only managed to have a proper warm shower about twice in the week I was there.
There was building work going on around the other pool and this was to the back of my room. So not only did I have the noise of the music from the front I had the noise of hammering, drilling and tile cutting from the back. The 'quiet' pool was where the building work was going on, so it wasn't even possible to have a nice relaxing day round this pool either! The dust from the work was all over the sunbeds and floors, so it was hard to find a clean sunbed or one that wasn't broken. Both pools were never cleaned the whole week I was there! There were dirty glasses, food and rubbish left round this pool for days and no one ever bothered to go and tidy it up.
The food was quite good, lovely salads and fresh baked breads. Although some of the food did seem to be used again the following day. The problem with the restaurant was the seating. There just wasn't enough for the number of guests, so eventually I would wait until the rush had gone and go for my meals later. This did mean that often some of the things had run out.
The TV in my room had only Turkish channels apart from a music channel, however I had plenty of loud music to listen to, so this channel was completely useless to me! I spoke to another guest who told me that she had English channels on her TV. Not sure why mine didn't, but anyway I wouldn't have been able to hear it due to the music!
It was impossible to even sit on my balcony or have my door or window open again due to the noise from the bar. Even after the music was eventually turned off at about midnight, there was still the noise from everyone in the bar area that were still sitting there or playing pool.
The hotel offers Wi-Fi however this was only available in the reception area which was not large and did not have much seating.
Apparently there was an A La carte restaurant, but this was being used to store the building materials so was not available the week I was there.
The resort of Olu Deniz is lovely, nice and small, good shops, nice bars and restaurants. It is just that this hotel was the absolute pits! Go to Olu Deniz, but avoid the Dorian Hotel like the plague!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the bar!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Goseeanddo

Travellers are raving about these Oludeniz hotels

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Upon arriving we had to rouse the receptionist who was clearly asleep. After being shown to our room it was apparent the hotel was unfinished following recent refurbishment, which we had not been told. Wires stuck out of the walls about our beds. Whilst there was a tv and a fridge in the room neither worked.
The next morning we were woken by the sounds of drilling, banging and hammering not just next to us, also opposite, below and on both sides. This continued the whole week and made it almost impossible to lie out by the pool at our block. Workmen appeared to have passkeys and entered our room without permission and whilst my partner was in the bathroom. When asked to leave, they refused and pulled the beds out to begin elec work. We returned to later find wires and plaster over our pillows and on the floor. The workmen then went on to leave debris and mess all over walkways which left them slippery, tables, sunbeds and the pool. My partner and I fell several times due to the mess and water which was left to swill about the corridors unmopped. Once my partner grabbed the hand rail on the stairs only to fall to the floor when it came off in her hand. it remained unfixed the whole week.They also loitered around the pool area making it uncomfortable to sit out, as it was literally surrounded by them. Residents reported money going missing and nothing was done about this.
We went into the restaurant area where we were delighted to find a large selection of breakfast foods laid out, inc tea coffee, juices, cereals, breads as well as freshly prepared hot food. the restaurant, it has to be said, is the jewel of the hotel, being run by the efficient and friendly Arif. we could not fault the food, variety (one of us was vegetarian) and kitchen staff. Evening meals were equally delicious and served fresh and hot, with breads being made in the oven in the restaurant. Snacks are available throughout the day including burgers and cake. Be aware, there can be times the water machine is turned off so buy water in.
We stayed for a week and in that time had to ring (5 times) and ask housekeeping to come in and do our room. They made the beds, wiped the floor and then left, taking the top layer of bedding and towels with them. three days later we STILL had NO TOWELS, despite asking several times daily. We eventually just took them from another room which was being prepared in the end.
We also found a pen with pheasants, ducks and hens in, far too contained and small for their needs. this is by the main pool and directly opposite our room so we had the additional sounds of fowl first thing in the morning, crowing at the sun.
No one tidied the pool at night therefore sun loungers (dirty and broken) were scattered about and glasses and plates left with rubbish.
We also had two days of no electricity which made drying our hair etc impossible. Of course we called reception about all these, things and were met by `tomorrow` or a receptionist that suddenly spoke no English. On one occassion the restaurant was so dark that the staff switched on the lights to help them and us see. the owner marched over and switched the lights off at the fuse box, plunging us all back into darkness.
I tried the tour rep on the helpline about 3/4 times a day and it was never answered.
the rep the met us at the hotel was initially friendly until he found out that we had already booked our trips; he cried ` But this is my business!` before packing his stuff up (inc information about the resort etc we were meant to have but never got) and leaving in a huff.
Worst by far though, was the attitude of the bar staff, namely one, who was rude, refused to serve us once he found out we were gay, pretending to ignore us and giving us short measures once we finally managed to get his attention. I went to the bar once with cake which i had collected in the allocated time allowed. However he saw me and hollered `No!!! You are NOT allowed!!` then tutted and shook his head when I explained that I had actually gotten it in the correct time and it was only 4 mins past and hey, I was still eating it. Another guest gave me a shot which they paid for and he tried to snatch it back saying `not free` to me, despite the other guest repeatedly saying they were paying for it for me.
Was he just experiencing cultural cross over difficulties? No, we don't think so, especially when then openly flirted with anyone else he thought may be remotely interested, sent sexual notes to them, pocketed money after hours for paid drinks and then gave his `favourites` free drinks not on the all inclusive menu. I wouldn't have cared about that had he not been so rude to us directly though. This was noted by other holiday makers who saw him refuse to serve us several times.
It was also apparent the the staff slept on site and many of them appeared to wear the same clothing each day, occasionally swapping items with one another. As they had no uniform as such this meant they had the appearance of being unkempt. The staff work long hard hours but this shows when they they do not wear clean clothing.
I need to stress that kitchen staff and restaurant staff were professional and courteous and its to them that I award the star on this review, otherwise it would have been a big fat zero.
It may seem strange that we decided to let none of this spoil our holiday, but my advice?
Come to Olu Deniz resort (its WONDERFUL) but avoid this hotel like the plague.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, stay anywhere else in Olu Deniz!
3 Thank LaneyB_11
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Where to start with this review. We arrived in the early hours of the morning, there was no one on reception until someone came running up from outside (the young lad was a jack of all trades we met him on the reception, working in the restaurant and helping move building materials around more to come on that). He led us down pathways through gardens in the dark along which we had to avoid hose-pipes and electrical cables. When we got to the room we had to manoeuvre under an overgrown lemon tree, the lad then found he had the wrong key so had to run back.
We finally got into the room which was clean and basic. It was quite cold so on climbing to bed we found the most prickly sheet ever with a thin over blanket. We tried to put the heating on which did work (for the first night only then the remote packed up never changed by staff).
Getting up in the morning 7.30am, we heard workmen outside drilling and grinding, so we thought we'd shower and then go and find where the restaurant was as there no information was in the room or had been given to us on arrival, only to find we had no water.
We then got a phone call to say the rep meeting as at 10am, so went and found the restaurant going under the tree with webs all over it. My partner attended the meeting and asked about the work going on ( none had been mentioned when we booked in fact the brochure mentioned the hotel had been renovated for the 2014 season) and also the tree. He came back to tell me the tree would be trimmed back by the end of the day ( my partner ended up having to bend the branches back on day 3 as we got fed up of walking through the webs), and the building work finished within 2 days max, our holiday was for 10 days and its still going on. Due to the building work the water was turned off most days. the hot water was hit and miss during our holiday we had 3 hot showers and the rest were lukewarm or cold. The shower was over the bath in the lovely marble tiled bathroom, I have long legs but struggled to get over the bath and the added shower door fitted onto the top. Getting out was horrendous with nothing to get hold of to help. The maid cleaned 3 times and 1 of them we had to ask for, as after 5 days the towels needed changing and toilet roll as in short supply.
There were 2 beautiful pools pity they weren't cleaned once in 10 days so building debris stayed on the bottom. The sun beds the ones that weren't broken were covered in brick powder and after the nights rain, the residue sand wasn't touched along with wine glasses from days before.
The food and good yes a positive point but....the restaurant didn't seem to have enough seating for all the guests, so it was a free for all, some of our fellow guest from another country sat at tables 15 mins before the food was available and then made a dash and got plates full which was then not eaten and was wasted.
The bar area was good and the bar manager was maybe the only member of staff who could understand some English, if the rain came though there were 3 tables undercover but you had to avoid the pool cues and the table tennis balls, other wise there were 12 seats in receptions and we had a few days of rain so......
In the brochure it advertised Turkish baths and an al a carte restaurant that could be used once a week you guessed it the baths were being worked on and the the restaurant was was being used to store the building supplies and broken sun beds.
We cant fault the resort of Olu Deniz but even if we were given a free week in this hotel we'd refuse it.

Room Tip: Choose one of the other close by hotels
2 Thank yecart65
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Arrived at hotel to be lead through dark unlit gardens with cables and hosepipes across the paths. Room was clean and adequate. Very bad water pressure in the shower, hot water was a rare treat. Hair dryer never worked. Worst of all was the building work that took place on everyday of the holiday 8 till late. Pool never cleaned sunbeds and tables round the pool were only cleaned on request. No entertainment

1 Thank Virginia I
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We arrived at the Dorian at around 4.30pm and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who then called for someone to show us to our room. When we eventually got to our room (we think the poor boy must've been new), we were pleasantly surprised to have been given a rather large family room. As we walked in, there were 2 single beds and then through the door was a double bed and a bathroom linking on to that. I have no complaints about the room at all. It was clean and had all the facilities we needed. For all inclusive the drinks aren't too great, beer and spirits are included but cocktails are extra. I found the vodka too strong so preferred drinking in one of the bars down the strip. Food wise, there is a great selection of salad every night and lunch time with a variety of hot dishes also. No complaints here at all. The location itself is fantastic, overlooking the mountains at the top of the strip leading down to the most beautiful beach. There are plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from but we immediately loved the 'Tequila Bar'. Amazingly friendly staff and great entertainment. Now, what to say about the beach. One word. Stunning. I have never seen a beach like it, warm water, perfect sand, stunning views. In fact I was in awe of the incredible views of the mountains. Wherever you go in Olu Deniz you can see Paragliders coming down to land, I didn't do this as I'm afraid of heights but heard rave reviews from some friends who had done it. We had a fabulous rep (through travel republic) and booked several excursions. We had a turkish bath at the Montebello Hotel around the corner from the Dorian which was an incredible experience and I would recommend it to anyone. We also had two boat trips. One was to the mud baths, turtle spotting and seeing the tombs carved into the rocks in Fethiye. Atilla was our tour guide and one of the funniest men I have ever met, in fact we felt other tour groups were envious of just how brilliant our tour guide was. A fantastic day out. We travelled as a couple but families were also staying at this hotel and had a great time. We weren't expecting an awful lot but this holiday really exceeded our expectations! Enjoy! :)

Room Tip: I'd request one not next to the pool as the music can be loud at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kayleigh M
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed 5 days with my boyfriend. Got room on top of one builiding with 2 balconies and large living room, which was lovely. Stuff was very friendly and helpful, everyone behaved nice to us. We spend most of the time on the beach, but when we came back I always enjoyed swimming in one of hotels swimming pools. Meal was nice - there was barbecue next to the pool and various meals in the dining hall. Tasty cakes, good beer :) We had really great time.

Room Tip: Definitely higher floors - larger rooms and not so much noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple