“Adequate - Friendly and Clean in Great Location”
Review of Hotel Karbelsun

Hotel Karbelsun
Ranked #49 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I am not a hotel dweller so I cannot really comment on the bar service or food (other than the included breakfast.)

I found this hotel to be perfect for my needs. The room was a good size and clean with ensuite and a balcony large enough for 2. The room seemed well maintained and nothing was old or grimy.

The breakfast was meditteranean food which I found to be very nice. It was always very fresh and well presented too.

Karbel Sun is very well positioned at the top of the pedestrian mall. It is far enough away from the bars to not have any noise problems, yet only a 5 minute stroll from the beach.

The staff that I had contact with were very friendly. I experienced no rudeness at all.

On one occasion I did watch the bar man take 10 minutes to sweep the floor while people were standing at the bar, which I assume some would find frustrating. However, I think they just need to chill out, stop being in such a hurry and stop expecting everywhere in the world to operate with the same priorities as England.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2010

Returning again as we did this year , had great time , only disappointment was the Sunday lunch which going on last years we recommended to everyone ,but Mehmett did say new chef better , er, no! Mehmett awful ! the lunch last year was brilliant! shame, but the rest of the holiday was fab , i left my prescription sunglasses behind at the last minute, phoned them and they said they'll put them in safe for next year ,lets face it ain't gonna want them here am I ? lol sorry ahmet isnt gonna be there next season ,he was a brilliant bar manager ,good lucki in ANKARA, teaching English ! so all being well roll on next year ,love OLU DENIZ ,its gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 5 September 2010

just returned from two weeks at the karbel sun had a really great time. ok mehmet could be a pain sometimes asking you to have bbq or roast dinner on sundays but to get as many people to eat in is part of his job i think. only person we could find fault with was one of the pool bar staff not erroyl the other one,we found him to be rude and obnoxious not a nice person at all definately not someone who should be dealing with any guests.other than that we had no complaints and would go back again and would not be afraid to say it has been one of the nicest places we have stayed in turkey

Reviewed 5 September 2010

Iam amazed by some of the reviews posted, in that i have not been ask nor paid to write this.
Reviews should be honest and as truthfull as possible,
But reading below i find it somewhat amusing that one person has written a review and not even stayed in the hotel. I wonder if they were asked or paid?
Then you have the person who does'nt usual write reviews, the same guy if i recall did'nt come back to the hotel until after midnight, but who complained about the management not letting them have a cup to make tea in the room unless they paid for the cup -- and the little security man bless was,nt rude at all.
The truth is after staying at the karbelsun every years for over 7 years i have noticed a decline in the standards.Yes i agree with the guess who witnessed the in flighting i was there to and saw Farty with my own eyes attack cingus.
One ladies young son was sworn at by mehmet i over heard him call the child.
So the lady Ali is referring to about passport that's her business and yes the bar area ALI was dirty i heard the woman ask the barstaff to clean it because there was food and drink from the night below which had'nt been cleaned.
The manager was lazy he did just sit at the bar most day smoking and drinking coffee, not once did he ask me or my children if we were enjoying our holidays. On monday or tuesday before we left Ali the manager was to busy running about worrying about a wedding he had arranged and not at all interested in the hotel guess.The wedding party were not even staying in the hotel.
I do recall a lady telling the manager about glass in the childrens pool area, i sat on the sunbed for a couple of hours and saw nothing done about it, it might have been the day of the wedding.
THE FOOD, i do'nt know what the other reviewers were eating or were but the standard was well below that of previous years, We tried it once and it was awfull (not recommended) bring back the old chef Ramasam.There are must nicer places and cheaper to. Also be aware of your bills check them every time on two occassions we were billed extra drinks and food. Pay with cash if you can to avoid extras being put on the bill.
I think its time the owner started to read these reviews maybe next year there will be a new manager who is quaified to run a hotel in the manner it should be.
There are much better hotels in the resort try a different one next year if you go back.
Overall rating Honestly just a one (1)
Food every bad, Staff rude, Management inexperienced lacks the committment.
Hotel not as clean as previous years. Food/drink expensive cheaper outside the hotel and better.
This is a review from a family who have stayed at the hotel Karbelsun for many years and not left a bad review before, the information i have given is truthful.
I would not recommend this hotel go to another one.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank crash39
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I don't understand all the recent bad reviews about the Karbelsun?! Especially as we were there at the same time! I understand how people can have different experiences, and for us we had a fantastic time and are booking to go back next year!

I don't usually write reviews but I don't want people to be put off by all the bad comments!
We really couldn't fault the hotel for its cleanliness. The rooms were simple and very clean with free air con (a huge bonus), this includes the bathroom too. The only minor issue was that the shower head kind of squited in different directions but who cares?! And to be fair we had plenty of chances to tell the maintenance man but never did, I'm sure it would have been fixed if we had!

The staff were fine, fair enough some more friendly than others. We never found the staff rude (well apart from the security guard). Yes Mehmet pestered you to book his meals but we just said no and he left us alone! That was his job at the end of the day!

The music definately wasn't BOOM BOOM! Yes it got a bit louder at happy hour (7-8) and maybe a bit repetitive, but who spends enough time in the hotel to be bothered anyway? There are plenty of other bars about. We just spent happy hour there, then went out.

The Karbel sun is a perfect base for a fantastic holiday in Olu Deniz. If you have super high expections I'm sure you might find a fault here or there, but it was ideal for us and for the price we paid (£490 2 weeks Aug) we can't complain.

Can't wait to go back next year!! Don't listen to the other reviews...go and make your own mind up!

4  Thank cpshoey
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We travelled to the Karbel Sun in August 2010, booked with Thomsons Holidays (TUI), at no point of booking in the hotels description does it mention the flights of stairs that you have to go up or down to get anywhere - this place is totally unsuitable for anyone with mobility dificulties what so ever!

mehmet - what a complete pain in the rear, hounded and hounded us for turkish baths, BBQ and sunday roast evenings....if you dont book then he wont speak to you. Mehmet made racist comments regarding my child, if that wasnt bad enough he went on to tell me how F-ing tight the english customers was.... and from then on I never spoke to him again, I complained to the manager Ali who did absolutley nothing, simply prefering to sit at the bar and smoke, Ali yet another Karbel sun disgrace and disaster, he has no interest in any of his guests what so ever, unless your paying over the odds for a wedding in the karbel sun hell hole then he is your best friend.

the pool, the childrens pool has a black scum line all the way around the top about 2 inches from the top of the pool to the water lever - this scum is so thick I reported it to Ali along with the glass I found in the pool 3 days running to dohey looked at it and asked me what i wanted to do - I replied to him clean it and scrapped the black scum off with my nail and told him it was not clean and had glass in it. Ali claims the pool is cleaned daily - this is total rubbish, I have never seen such filth in a pool in my life it is just disgusting - Ali just looked at it and walked away in true Ali fashion - usless!

Pool bar food is served within 3 minutes and is served raw and when I say raw the chicken was not even sealed on the outside let alone cooked in the middle. Mehmet took great offence when we started to go and eat out for lunch, when he asked why I told him and he laughed and said ok we cook it properly today - not a cat in hells chance!

the pool bar belts music out at all hours, yet when you return to the hotel in the early hours i was told to shut up as people where sleeping - we where giggling between ourselves and far from loudly, so I pointed to the bar where music was playing and a large group where being rather rowdy!

the staff, well rude springs to mind, 2 full blown fights in full view of guests and picking on a particular staff member who was by far the nicest staff member there - my advice is to find a different employer for next year. staff arguing as they do not want to serve particular guests in front of the said paying guests, just awful!

If you want your rep dont ask reception to ring them because the wont and will tell you a complete pack of BS excuses as to why, from acting stupid and not understanding you, to the phone being engaged or telling you they are coming to see you tomorrow - I am still waiting.

My room was cleaned to a high standard and I cannot fault the cleaning ladies. Cengis the waiter is lovely and again I cannot fault him as for the rest of the hotel well I can only think of one word to describe it and thats disgraceful.

I would avoid this place like the plague, there are far nicer hotels in the local area and the staff here are rudest people I have ever met. Olu deniz is beautiful but chose your hotel carefully. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone of any age for any purpose.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank cml36
atlas2748, General Manager at Hotel Karbelsun, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2010

I have lots of to say but I will keep it very simple.

Points

1 ) First than everthing you never talked to me or made a complain till last day you leave. So please dont tell me you made a complain and I did not solve it.

2 ) About pool . The pool is cleaned , swept and chemicals put in to keep it clean ever day. We have got reports from company who checks the pool water weekly .Also an officer come and test the water ever month.We check the waqter everday .We keep all the reports . I dont believe in that pool was dirty.If pool was dirty the colour of the water would be milky not bright shiny blue

3 ) None of the staff has been rude to you at all. And F... words never been said. Please dont try to show li
ke staff use rude words. I dot believe that at all.

4 ) We dont play loud music especially at night time.Only the time loud music is played at happy hour which is between 19:00 -20:00 . The music turned down at 23:30 the latest. Before 10.00 am and between 16.00-18:00 is no music played at all.

5 ) If we were very rude to you , why your friend ( Who came to holiday with you and you fell out with her ) thanked us cause she got passport from you after 3 days with our help. Who is the one made her wait till early hours of morning 3 days and gave her so much sadness??

6 ) About my smoking .Yes I smoke alot .At least I smoke in open like bar area . I smoke out side so what is wrong with it? against law ? I dont think so.

7 ) If your company has no rep service at our hotel why not look at the company board and contact them by yourself ? So you could find out by yourself is it us making excuse or it was the truth ?

1 more think I would like to say

The gold shines forever even it is covered by mud.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

Before you make judgement,Let me first of all inform you that never have i written a bad review about the karbelsun in all the 10 years yes 10 years that my family and i have stayed there, our children have grown up there. But this year i don't know what went wrong' maybe it is because Ali is more interested in his weddings than his hotel guests.
This year we have witnessed some very unpleasent scenes between the staff, fighting in public in full view of guests, when other guests and ourselves brought this to the attention of Ali he just shrouged it of and laughed, we witnessed Farta the waiter attack another waiter and nothing was done even though other guest compained to Ali. Farta just laughted in his face, the hotel was dirty, drink and food had been spilted the night before and still there at 11am, dare i say hundreds of ants enjoy the free feed, we had to ask the barstaff to wash it away because we couldnt sit round the bar area. All Ali does is sit at the bar smoking and drinking coffee, never have i seen approach guests to enquire about the service or how they are enjoying holidays. He should take a leaf out of the managers in hotels in tunisa were they are always talking to quests and asking if they can do anything for them.
Sad sad sad very disappointed this year, but thats not to say you should go to Turkey they are lovely people and other hotels with better service, if i could afford it i would buy out there.
Its just a shame Ali you can't take advice from people run a very successfully business on how to handled staff or give the personal touch.
Wake up Ali smell the roses. WE WON'T BE BACK ALI
This is an honest review of the service at the karbel sun august 2010 i do hope that tripadviser will publish this so others can judge without predjudice
thanks for taking the time to read.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family