“Holiday from Hell`”
Review of Balkaya Hotel

Balkaya Hotel
Ranked #82 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Turned up to the hotel at 3am we were never checked in just a man speaking very little english shaking keys at us! we walked past the pool with no lighting and to the room the lights wouldnt work after about 5mins lights worked. whilst in the room we heard to strange noises, being on ground floor it was slightly nervy anyways. We heard clear foot steps on the balcony (perch) when investigation there was muddy footprints on it that werent there when we arrived. after about 1hour we dosed to sleep only to be woke two hours later with someone banging on the door and twisting the door handle, Two girls in a room somewhere they dont know was very scary. I spoke to the rep and owner and they agreed to move us room in two days when there was one free. Two days later we had still not been moved and the owner said another two days we never actually moved rooms. The room we were in looked like staff quaters and was very unclean fixtures were hanging off in the bathroom sheets were stained bug squished all over wall not lightshades no fire alarm just generally Filthy!!! I have been to a few all inclusive holidays and had a variation on food at breakfast lunch and dinner and paid about the same but the food at The Balkaya was Like it or leave it. And most of the time we left it! We just tried to make the best out of a bad situation. But NEVER will i stay at the Balkaya again! Definatley the worst place iv ever stayed felt disgusting and dirty the whole week!

Room Tip: Dont go on the Ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Joanna C

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed at the balkaya in June 2012, and returned to turkey in June 2013, we wanted to stay at the balkaya but the Yel Hotel was coming up cheaper (Great Hotel) We did however go back down to the Balkaya two nights in the week we were in Turkey, yes the hotel may have its faults but I can look past them and I personal like the atmosphere here, its a small hotel so everybody gets talking to everybody. We will be going back to Turkey next June and will be booking into the Balkaya, if your not going to pay through the roof, then you shouldn't expect five star. Its a good base hotel and you can always have a laugh there, the all inclusive may not be as good as the Yel Hotels but the atmosphere and the friendly staff makeup for this.

2  Thank Taylor198
Reviewed 10 July 2013

rooms were filthy, pool had rocks in, mould all over shower, sink hanging off wall, all in all disgusting hotel only stayed there 1 night (that was enough out of 1 week) DONT GO THERE all inclusive I think not, as I say I left hotel after 1 night and the manager who ran it followed us to our new hotel and demanded more money for transferring to new hotel, stayed same time as Maxine from London and she is spot on with her comments

4  Thank Rich B
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Just back from a fab holiday....June/July
On arrival do not judge a book by it's cover! Once inside this hotel is a little haven just of the beaten track with a big welcome awaiting you, whilst still being central to all the top resorts like oludeniz or fethiye by bus or taxi from the hotel itself. The hotel offers to share with you a private beach which is so beautiful and you are picked up from the hotel and dropped off at the beach, how good is that! The hotel staff made us so welcome and the owners really go the extra mile to help with anything you may need. I had my birthday there and wedding anniversary too and the owners got us a cake and made it so special along with sharing the night with other holiday makers (thanks to you all)
The chef is very good and each night presented us with a different enjoyable dish of chicken,lamb,curry's with noodles,rice and fresh salads.You could have as much as you like. Breakfast is typical turkish (but when in rome!!!!) very fresh and light. English fry ups are just a walk away,not for us though.
The evenings have a mixture of music and you can ask for a song of your own whilst sipping some of their cocktails,often made by the owners brother aka mechanic!! :) Trust me you will soon be up and dancing after a few of those!
The pool is so beautiful and spotlessly clean. In the late afternoon we sometimes had it almost to ourselves, what a indulgence! Our room was cleaned each day and we had a pool view too.
Overall for the little money we paid for the two weeks we had we were more than pleased.
We would like to thanks the owners and staff for making the last two weeks so special and see you again REALLY soon
hugs Elaine and Dave

2  Thank ellieo1
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed here for 5 days of a 14 day holiday!!! As mentioned in the reviews i was the disruptive/noisy lady that was condemning the place, along with the "ones" writing the reviews who are now in favour of giving the Balkaya a good name...lol how the worms turn. Anyway I understand that my idea of A/I and the Balkaya's is not one and the same when it comes to all inclusive, however this hotel may have only been £10.00 a night I could have for the same £10.00 had I of known got a much cleaner and varied food menu for the same price, so its not about it being cheap its about misrepresentation. The hotel is an accident waiting to happen. People falling through chairs, potholes in and around the hotel and the pool not being cleaned daily as claimed. For me it was a nightmare as obviously I was disappointed as the food choice was poor so as dave says clearer information is needed. Would not recommend it to anyone who wants decent food and a clean socialising area. For all those people who were agreeing with my observations but really being two faced about the matter all I can say is that you cannot put a pig in a castle...happy holidays

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank MaxineLondon_England
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Balkaya from 4th to 14th June. This was our second visit to the hotel after spending a week there last June. This hotel suits us as it fits into the bracket of a good place to go if you are looking for a cheap break away from it all at a quiet and friendly hotel.
I can understand some people being disappointed with the hotel when they have booked all inclusive. The Balkaya’s idea of all inclusive is quite different to the normal A/I you would find in Spain or Greece lets say. You will not find a vast array of meats, veg and salads on display. Nor will you have a vast choice of drinks.
The hotel offers a fixed Turkish breakfast which is boiled eggs, cold meats, cheese, salad and bread. Sometimes they offer a hot dish such as Menemen, a mix of egg, tomatoes, peppers and spices or scrambled egg. Lunch is offered as 2 different set meals such as burgers, jackets, fish fingers, or meatballs all served with chips salad and bread. There is also a soup. The evening meal is normally soup followed by a meat dish, lamb, chicken etc. you can help yourself to rice chips pasta veg and salad.
The drinks provided are bottles of Perge beer, white, red & rose wine, vodka, gin, & raki. There are locally produced mixers and tea and coffee.
Perhaps the hotel could make this information more freely available to avoid future customer dissatisfaction.
I am not sure how much tour operators charge for the hotel as we always book direct with the Balkaya. We are charged £10 each per night! Anyone booking a hotel at that price must know that they are going to visit a budget hotel and should not expect the Ritz.
The staff at this hotel can not do enough for you. The manager/owner is called Suleyman. This guy is one of the nicest guys I have ever met. He will go to the ends of the earth to try to make your stay enjoyable. During our stay he ran a customer to the airport who had missed her transfer. He attended to a guy who fell down the stairs and cut his head quite badly. He personally checked on this guest every hour throughout the night. He is well aware of the hotel’s shortcomings but makes up for these with boundless enthusiasm and effort as does Sercan behind the bar.
Our rooms were cleaned each day and the bedding changed regularly. If we needed extra pillows or clean towels we just asked and they were supplied the same day.
The pool area is always kept clean and tidy. The pool man cleans it each morning. It gets full sun all day so is always nice and warm. There is also a children’s pool that is equally well looked after.
The majority of people who stay here are able to recognise this and look past the occasional broken chair or lack of food choices.
I was also aware of the disruptive lady mentioned in one of the reviews. I have to say that Suleyman handled her in a most professional manner and only asked her to leave when other customers were starting to get upset by her. I am not sure I could have been as understanding.
If you intend to book this hotel please bear in mind the comments above. We use the hotel as a base that will offer us the chance of a night in with other guests or we might choose to venture out for the evening to the many bars & restaurants within 10 mins walking distance.
I think you would struggle to find a B&B at £10 per night so a hotel that offers food and drink at that price must be a plus.
I would also like thank the many friends we made for making our stay so enjoyable, Gemma & Steve from Castleford, Alan from Morpeth, Andy & Jen from Washington, All the south coast girls and Ali from Paisley.
We are booking to go back next June. If you intend to do the same please do so with an open mind and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Stay in the main block. The rooms are away from the trees & get less mozzies
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BigDavey_9
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I have to admit when I first arrived I wasn't sure what to expect. Now thou I would return in a heartbeat....the manager, his wife and the staff made me feel welcome at home from the moment go! I had such a good time meeting lots of people. The meals were fantastic at all times with a big shout out to the chef! Me and Sercan the best bartender in turkey had a blast everynight entertaining the guests with our wonderful voices on the karaoke! What a duo....you all should have to pay to be entertained like this :) I particularly liked the fact that the hotel seemed to be within easy access to everything that you needed....with fetihye ( a short dolmus trip ) hisaronu and olu deniz being within walking distance from this amasing value for money hotel!

Room Tip: Pool View......Top Floor :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Alan W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oludeniz
Mavi Belce
#10 of 102 in Oludeniz
Tonoz Beach Hotel
Tonoz Beach Hotel
#13 of 102 in Oludeniz

Been to Balkaya Hotel? Share your experiences!