“Happy Times!”

Ranked #73 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Happy Times!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I'll try to make this an honest review, and address some of the points raised by others.
We had 2 rooms in the rear accomadation block on the ground floor, these were basic and in need of updating/redecoration. We did experience mosquitos in the rooms, but you will get these anywhere in Turkey. I don't think spraying to kill them would have done any good as the guests would choke on the fumes, and they would have just come back from outside the hotel boundaries! I understand from other guests that the upstairs/family rooms are better than the ground floor ones. We also had no bed bugs, and I never saw any bites on any of the staff even though we were in the pool with the staff most days. We saw the cleaners going into the rooms every day to clean.
There are some cracked tiles around the bar area, and these would need to be sorted as part of a general refurbishment.
The water to the drinks machine is supplied by a large carboy of spring water, which is changed when the other one runs out. These large containers are stored near the kitchens if you want to have a look.
The food may be a dissapointment to people who have experienced all inclusives in other hotels/countrties, but I can honestly say that I found it very tasty and never had any tummy trouble as may have been suggested by some of the other reviewers. Thanks to Metin and his wife for the food!
We were priviledged to have met some lovely people while we were at the Balkaya, these included english, turkish and german families.
Now for the staff, absolutely brilliant! Big thanks to Serjan, Adems, Elvan, Metin and the others who made our stay so memorable. I never found Suleyman anything less than charming in his dealings with us, as was his wife Dilek.
We witnessed the antics of the large party who walked out, came back and went again, maybe the rep should have done more for this party but I still think their behaviour was disgraceful.
It may be worth knowing that Suleyman only rents this hotel, and is battling with the owners to get repairs done.
In conclusion, I had a happy time at the Balkaya and would go back. It's a cheap and cheerful hotel with great staff-get to know them and make friends!

4 Thank gazza52_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the Balkaya in the early hours of the morning and were greeted by Suleman the manager who handed us our keys and sent us on our way, he didn't show us to our rooms which I would consider rude. We were instantly disgusted by our rooms, which were filthy and dirty, as soon as we arrived we wanted to leave, the floors were absolutely rotten and covered on brown scum, the bedding was ripped, there was mildew covering the majority of the bathroom and mould on the walls, light fittings were hanging off the walls, wires hanging out the walls, our balcony backed onto a sewage drain/swamp therefore making it a Mosquitos dream location, the solar panels and pipes were leaking and didn't seem to work. The kids were smothered bedbug bites and when we lifted up the beds there were hundreds of dead flies, there were wasp nests in the window frames, i could go on as the problems were endless, we are not fussy nor were we expecting luxury but seriously you would not let your dog stay there. We spoke to Suleman about our concerns only to be met with complete ignorance, he refused to accept that there was any problem with his hotel and became abusive, we eventually managed to ask a rep to move us and packed our stuff however, he didn't come back to us so we reluctantly stayed another night, and awoke to find that Suleman wanted us to leave or he would call the police as he had relet our rooms! We left at that point and found our own accommodation as sunsave were not cooperating with us. Please do NOT book to stay at this hotel, the place is a health hazard and the good reviews on here must be written by management themselves or by people who clearly have no respect for cleanliness or healthy and safety, we too read the bad reviews and decided to see for ourselves and went anyway, don't make the mistake we made, my only advice would be that if you are booked to stay here CANCEL as soon as you can.

2 Thank Romeo2102

Travellers are raving about these Oludeniz hotels

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have been back from our stay at the Balkaya for a couple of weeks now. We didn't pay a fortune for this holiday so the standard of accommodation was pretty much as I expected. I got the feeling when we arrived to check in that it was a bit of a surprise to them and that we had not been expected. We had a family room which was very spacious set on two levels with a double bed and shower room upstairs and two sofa beds and a toilet downstairs .The shower room was a bit grim but once it had been cleaned properly was OK .
The food was very nice, not much choice and not fully all inclusive, Breakfast became very boring and dessert would have been welcome at dinner time,There are no snacks between meals and ice cream has to be paid for. I think they need to be clear about this in information you read about the hotel .
The pool is lovely, very clean a comfortable temperature and plenty of room to swim. The area around the pool is kept clean and tidy. The music did become a pain, mainly because it was random blastings for a terrible sound system, there was an audible sigh of relief when it was turned off!
On our last day we had to check out of our room at 12pm but paid for another room to use for the day. If we had been given this other room for our stay we would have left as it was in a terrible state, the bathroom was a disgrace. I spoke to another couple the day before and they were being moved as they turned up and this was to be their room .
We didn't experience the friendliness of the manager and his wife that other reviewers have written about. In fact on the night we left at 2AM they left us sitting in reception in the dark waiting for our Taxi and I just got the feeling they really didn't care about the guests .
As a base the Balkaya is very good, we loved the location as it was a 10min walk into bustling Hisaronu which is lovely to stroll around at night .
All in all we had a lovely holiday but feel the Balkaya need to be much clearer in their marketing as to what they mean by all inclusive.
Would we go back ? Maybe if the price was right !

Room Tip: Get a family room, the others are tiny!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Melody G
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Hi, I'm the person referred to as Mrs Bucket-I wish!
If I were I'd have been at the Ritz but now I'm staying at the next best place and guess what? To quote a well known character in Ovacik it's bloody marvellous.
But to more serious matters, we were under no illusion that the Balkaya hotel would be any more than basic which we were happy with so it was bit of a shock when we arrived to find that the manager was expecting a party of 10 and not the 15 that had been booked! They made the effort to
accommodate us by throwing the barman out of his bed so that my daughter and her friend would have a bed to sleep on. This would have been really appreciated if it didn't already have guests in residence - bedbugs! They feasted on my grandchildren including my 6 month old grandson leaving them covered in bites.
The whole hotel was a mess, the tiles around the pool were filthy,cracked and broken,this also included the bar area where meals are taken, this area also had a number of special features- a drinks dispenser that was connected to unsealed water bottles by a hose pipe ( god knows where the water came from) cups and glasses washed
In cold running water with no detergent, tables wiped down with dirty cloths and last but not least a wire about 18 inches long sticking out of the floor sporting bare wires.
As for the rooms they were absolutely filthy! The light fittings over the beds were hanging off the walls, just the thing to have around curious children. The walls had a healthy growth of damp and mould and a couple of the window frames were providing a good base for homeless wasps!
Room 309 had bare wires hanging out the walls behind the bed in which an 18month old baby was sleeping,this room also had a broken lock on the balcony door giving the baby free access to the balcony and the chairs on it!
The bathrooms were beyond belief, mouldy shower heads, clogged up drains, rusty fittings and mould growing up the walls.
The floors were washed with the filthiest mop I've ever seen without detergent by the only cleaner for 32 rooms.
I have been coming to Ovacik since 1997 and stayed in basic pansyions which were spotless.
The Balkaya and its ? Owner/ manager bring shame to the lovely people of this area and if I could do something to get it closed down I would!
It speaks for it self when 3 families walk out in 3 days!
And as for Soloman the man is a complete pig! We tried to discuss our complaints in a reasonable manner and were met with complete indifference and unreasonable behaviour by someone who has a god complex and can't be wrong; he even tried to include other guests in one of our many run ins which nearly resulted in a set to!
To others whose delicate ears we may have offended I apologise but where I come from we call a spade a spade.
Our party included 2 children, 2 babies and 2 vulnerable adults one of whom may be on his last holiday so I refuse to appologise for what might have appeared to be unreasonable behaviour but Soloman and his rotten hotel did their best to spoil it.
So to those of you who are preparing to stay at the Balkaya I would only recommend it if you don't mind risking dysentery,bed bugs and electrocution.

9 Thank Jckmil5
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

To all the Hyacinth Buckets out there complaying about the Balkaya Hotel you really need to take a look at yourselves. If your idea of a holiday is to constantly complain then you shoud all stay at home and let the rest of us enjoy our holiday. The Balkaya Hotel rooms are basic but are clean and tidy yes it could do with a lick of paint how ever you only sleep in it the rest of the time we were out enjoying the Turkish culture. The Manager Sulyman and his wife could not be more accommodating, the food was excellent and the bar staff were supurb. The large family that arrived had mouths like a sewers complaining about not getting free ice cream amongst other things. If you want all of that then go to the the cattle markets of the Spanish allinclusive, and to be frank if i was Sulyman i would have asked them to leave too. All in all the Balkaya offers very good value for money good honest friendly people doing the best they can for you to enjoy your holiday. The location is great as you are away from the noise of Hisaronu and a bus ride from the beach there are pleanty of restaurants within walking distance. The only dissapointing thing was that we had to leave!!!!! We will go back to the Balkaya. IF YOU WANT SILK THEN PAY FOR IT DONT EXPECT SILK WHEN YOU PAY FOR COTTON.

Room Tip: We had a family room which had two floors and was large. A tip is to buy some mosquito nets from Eba...
3 Thank JAGPC
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

First of all I would like to say this is my own review and yes, I am writing it with out any prompting from the hotel manager. This is our fourth year at this hotel, and yes we will be returning next year. There must be something good if we keep going back.
Sulyman and his wife Dilek were friendly and accommodating. Our room was cleaned every day to the extent of clothes folded and shoes paired up! My daughter thought she had a personal maid and wanted to bring the cleaner home with us. The bar staff were very friendly and helpful and we had lots of laughs with them.I have read the bad reviews and am surprised, because this is not our experience at all.I did witness the rude behaviour of a large family whilst there.Yes, the manager did say he was considering calling the police as they were swearing and very abusive to him and to the other guests. I witnessed their foul language in the main reception where there were other guests with their children. When this family left we again witnessed their inappropriate behaviour, swearing and throwing their room key at the manager in front of other hotel guests and children, including their own children. I have to say it didn't make me proud to be British.
This is a small family run hotel where turkish and english families interact with each other and have a good time. Pool clean and a good size.
I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: family rooms in the main block are good.
11 Thank michael q
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We are currently in Turkey which has been spoilt by the Balkaya Sulaman the owner does not think anything is wrong with Hotel. the Rooms are FILTHY I don't expect the Ritz but expect don't think Ian being unreasonable,the eating area is not much better or around the pool .PLease Please donot book with BALKAYA there are 15 of us The manager threatened to call the police and told us to get by 12.00 as he has relet our rooms we have now moved to Mesa suites which are perfect and Management can't do enough for you we are not fussy People just wanted A nice holiday DON'T GO TO BALKAYA SULAMAN MUST BE WRITING THE REVIEWS HIMSELF.

5 Thank Leisax12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oludeniz
Pink Palace
#78 of 102 in Oludeniz
Hotel Greenland
Hotel Greenland
#14 of 102 in Oludeniz

Been to Balkaya Hotel? Share your experiences!