“1st time at an all inclusive hotel”
Review of Hotel Greenland

Hotel Greenland
Ranked #15 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Reviewed 13 September 2013

As it states in the title, this was the first time we had ever stayed at an all inclusive hotel... why did we choose Hotel Greenland?? well it was not on some massive scale as was the case with a lot of hotels we looked at, which really would have been our worst nightmare.

Ok.. so!! it was me, my hubby and 2 teenage kids that came on this holiday. We were greeted warmly by staff when we arrived about midnight.. The coach trip to the hotel was fine and my face was glued to the window, not that I could see much being dark an all... but never one to pass up on an opportunity for a first glance of a new place in our travel list (Have never been to Turkey before either).

We booked two rooms, both standard, both small, about the size of a bedroom, small balcony which faced onto nothing... (so I thought) but perfectly adequate for us, who goes all that way to stay in the hotel room anyway? So when I got up in the morning, really missing the tea and coffee making facility, as I love to sit out on the balcony with a morning coffee on other holidays, I was greeted with the view of babadag mountain, glimpsing through the tree's, loved the chickens that were legging it around the grass too. So my view that I thought was not much, turned out to be a bit of a peaceful haven as I often sat out there before brekkie and after a sizzling pool day.

The food... you will either love it or hate it, or just accept that you have not booked a 5 star gourmet retreat. No matter what is on offer, you will not starve, the waiters were polite and very friendly and it is what it is... food cooked en masse. Saying that my son loved the soups, my daughter loved the fruit, and we ate with no problems whatsoever. Wasps.. yes a problem, but they burn incense and waft it around the room.

As everyone knows by now there is a top and bottom pool, we sat up at the top pool (nice pancakes from the ladies en route) and a drinks machine with the perfect hot chocs (yes bizarre given the heat... but actually refreshing) The juice from the machines gave me the worst case of heartburn but i treated it as cordial and watered it down. Cardiac hill, a gradual slope is ok, I was expecting something like walking up snowdon, but yes when your hot, I can see why people don't like it, and yes people who have reduced mobility would find it a struggle.

We did a canoe trip booked with Thomsons, its a killer on the arms, and grounds for divorcing either your spouse or kids, but it was a good day. Hubby was ill the next day, i thought it was heat stroke but did hear whisperings of a sickness bug doing the rounds. The maid cleaned our room completely (due to obvious reasons) and fussed over my hubby and tucked him up in bed. She was an absolute sweetheart.

We went to nicholas beach, not really fussed on the blue lagoon to be honest as the water was not clear, have definitely put paragliding on the list for the next trip. Our best trip was with Captain Midnight Daily Boat Tour..... (the clearest water ever) have done a review, check it out... perfection. Myself and hubby went for the turkish bath and massage and it was fantastic, Joseph is the nicest person on the planet and will never let you walk past without him saying hello and asking how you are.

Soooo!! after all the waffle, was all inclusive for us? I have to say no, and that's not because we had a horrible time and is in no way due to the hotel, its just not what suits us. Fellow guests were very friendly and it is obvious why there are repeat guests, but for us as a family it did not tick the boxes. Saying that though, since being home, I really miss sunbathing at the pool and playing cards at night with the kids. The staff at the hotel work damn hard to make your stay enjoyable... not sure i could have a smile on my face for a full shift in such heat, so hats off to them.

Room Tip: standard rooms are adequate if you don't need lots of space... air con in our room worked fine
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank janeandgary1972
There are newer reviews for Hotel Greenland

Reviewed 13 September 2013

My boyfriend and I have just returned from a week’s holiday at Greenland Hotel – it was great! The staff are really lovely (especially the cleaning ladies) and the hotel has a nice relaxed vibe to it. The main pool was more suitable to families so head to the upper pool if you want some peace and quiet, although it would’ve been nice to have some background music at that pool!

Its interesting to see chickens and hens roaming around the grounds but they don’t bother the guests. The cockerel gave us a morning call on our first day at 6am but, after speaking with the hotel manager, he must’ve had a word with the rowdy little thing as he never bothered us again ha ha!

The food is ok although not what I’d expect for a four star hotel so I’d recommend heading out for a few evening meals.

All in all, it was a nice hotel ideally located within 15 minutes drive from Hisaranou, Fethiye and Olu Deniz. Many guests have spent several holidays at this hotel so it’s clearly a favourite with regular Turkey holidaymakers.

Room Tip: We stayed in Block 5 which was far enough away from the main family pool - I would recommend that!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank loobyloubuttercup
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Very disappointed! !. Turkey is a beautiful country with great views, great trips and on previous visits very friendly and helpful people.

Unfortunately the greenland hotel let us down. It was fine as a base, it was clean and had a lovely quiet pool at the top of the hotel but really that was all it was good for.

We arrived at around 11:30 starving hungry, after asking for a sandwich we were told they had nothing so we ended up getting a taxi into town for food. .. For all inclusive I felt this was poor!!!

Our room was very small and very hot... the air conditioning wasn't the best... if your hoping to sit on your balcony then you will also be disappointed its very small. On the positive side it was clean with fresh towels every day and the cleaners were friendly.

Food... was ok, they had a variety of things each day but nothing special. .. our best meals were outside the hotel.

When a hotel advertising itself as all inclusive you expect it to be all inclusive... on the drinks menu there are actually only 5 drinks available as part of all inclusive the rest are at a charge including cocktails.. needless to say we went elsewhere every night as I refused to give this hotel anymore money.

Entertainment. .. was quite possibly the worst part if the holiday... Butlins at it's finest, great for kids but for couples it was poor.

The hotel staff. ... entertainment staff ignore you if you don't speak to them, bar staff extremely rude, its almost a chore for them to smile at you let alone make you your drinks.

On a positive note joseph was one of the nicest people we met... would highly recommend the turkish bath and a chat with Joseph each morning before breakfast. Bella the dog and the two kittens were also a highlight along with the other animals roaming around the hotel.

Overall we had a great holiday when we were out of the hotel. Definitely won't be staying again and its definitely not like the hotel orka down the road!!! .

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank anna24notts
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My second trip to Greenland and I wasnt disappointed! Travelled with my teenage sons and they enjoyed it as much as I did. The room was immaculate, cleaned and with new towels every day. The cleaning ladies were so friendly and you felt you could trust them while in your room. The reception staff were ok, didnt have much to do with them apart from checking in but no complaints. The rather steep incline to most of the rooms (which we called cardiac hill!) may be a problem for people with mobility difficulties but it did help you work off your dinner! The food was fabulous, great choice every day, with hot selection, salads, fruit, home made bread, and my normally fussy youngest son couldnt wait to get there for meals! There were ladies making traditional pancakes in the lovely treelined grounds all day long and they were delicious! Agree with bigmama56 about the waiter Emrah, one of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever met, all other waiters very efficient and friendly too. Bar staff were fabulous, not only very quick to serve you, but we were treated to fire juggling too! The choice of pools is great, if you want a quiet day, the top pool is lovely, peace and quiet with drinks and food nearby when you want it. Coffee, Hot chocolate and soft drinks available all day to help yourself. However, if you want some fun then the bottom pool is for you, with an excellent selection of music for all ages from the fabulous DJ Klesk ( the next Calvin Harris? :0) and his trusty sidekick Hasan you couldn't wish for a warmer welcome from nicer people. Maybe Hasan has some singing lessons for next year? ha ha. There is water polo, volleyball, darts, pool and all sorts of other fun to keep you amused during the day or you can just lie on your sunbed listening to the fabulous music. The evening entertainment was great, we were treated to African dancers, fire eating, limbo dancing, traditional Turkish dancing, Karaoke, Bingo and Quizzes. Something for everyone. We didn't take up the late check out offer but were given a room free for an hour to shower and get ready for our flight home. All in all, we had a fabulous holiday and would definitely go back to this lovely hotel, where the welcome is as warm as the weather! Thank you Greenland x Cathy, Adam & Sam x

Room Tip: If you have problems walking Blocks 1 or 2 are for you. If you like peace and quiet and don't mi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cathy G
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Just returned from a 11 night stay this was our 2nd visit & just as good we stayed in block 1 as the slope to other blocks is too much if you have problems. This hotel is amazing from check in to check out . Rooms lovely food great atmosphere is wonderful the staff make this place from start to finish well done riza tommy David sedat bar staff & to emrah our favourite waiter your brill . Cleaning staff are so lovely. It is a must to have Turkish bath with Joseph who is a lovely guy so genuine. Entertainment a bit of a let down this year but never the less very funny & so friendly thank you hasan dj & co . We met some lovely people who are now new friends Lynne John Andy Sarah teressa steff Vera Audrey Tina & Stewart thanx guys fab time . You won't be disappointed with this hotel go BOOK IT we will for next year . Well done all at Greenland you are all amazing thank you for your hard work xx

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank bigmama56
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My boyfriend and I returned yesterday from a 14 night stay at this hotel and unfortunately it did not live up to expectations - we won't be returning and would not recommend to other young couples. Having read such wonderful positive reviews from countless people on here we really thought we were going to find our stay wonderful but sadly that wasn't the case and we were left disappointed. The weather was amazing and Turkey and the surrounding area was beautiful, but we both found this hotel to be very very average in more or less every aspect.
I want to make it clear this comes from the perspective of a couple both aged 26. It was clear families at the hotel have an entirely different experience, but for us, we were both left feeling underwhelmed having spent around £1,800. I HONESTLY can't understand why it has such a high rating on here - I can only assume people have come so many times they have gotten too familiar with things (not really seeing them for what they are) or are reviewing their experience as a whole rather than taking a proper review of the actual hotel? Anyway a few thoughts on...

Weather - absolutely would return to Turkey at this time of year again, very hot and got a great tan! Ask Joseph for the Turkish spa experience on your first day - he was the nicest man we met our whole holiday, always made an effort to say hello.

Room - small and pokey. Decked out nicely but on closer inspection it was tired in places. The cupboard had little room to store folded clothes and the wood was flaking off it - it was very basic. The fridge had a dirty great grey mark up the front where the plastic had been peeled off it. The room was cleaned everyday and clean towels provided which was good but we were never greeted with a flowery display - probably because we hadn't paid for a deluxe room - so perhaps this sort of thing is only reserved if you spend more... Bit unfair? The maids were lovely though and always made an effort to say hello. The rooms are on a steep hill (older people would struggle) and when people finished watching the entertainment each evening it got loud as the more rowdy folks made their way back to the rooms...

Pool - great that there was a choice of pools, the top pool was lovely and relaxing although the second week there were a lot of wasps. I got bitten which wasn't nice :( and other people did too. It was nice to sit at the top pool bar in the evening and watch the sun go down.

Service - the service was the worst of any hotel I've ever been to. We checked in late at 1:30am due to flight delays so were very tired and found the welcome very unfriendly. We were given a piece of paper to read, they didn't tell us anything - where the pools were, where meals were served, about the free drinks stations located around the hotel, about evening entertainment, the local area... nothing. Just wanted to know if we wanted to pay for a safe and late check out. None of the waiters or bar staff made much effort to build up any kind of rapport with us, again maybe because we were a couple rather than a family. We found a nice restaurant in Olu Deniz and had the number to book a table but the hotel refused to call ahead to do this for us? What a tight bunch! Overall a real let down.

Food/drink - by far the WORST aspect of the hotel. I SIMPLY don't understand the comments on here. The food was pretty terrible. Snacks consisted of chips and pizza and meal times (the cooked breakfast was inedible... was the option of omelettes or pancakes and fruit though which my boyfriend liked) had lots of choice but the options were all stodgy rubbish basically. Could only say I had two or three decent meals the entire time which was a big let down indeed. Also all inclusive doesn't mean all inclusive here - cocktails and most spirits were at an additional cost. My boyfriend liked the beer though which was good.

Location/eating out - head for Olu Deniz and Buzz Bar on the seafront our saving grace! Friendly staff, amazing food, cheap but gorgeous cocktails! The location of the hotel was good - out of the way enough but easy to get to things nearby on the Dolmus!

Excursions - we only went on one via Thomas Cook 'Cruise the Blues'. More expensive than other providers but the boat wasn't crowded, the food was great and overall a lovely lovely day out.

Overall we had a lovely holiday but the hotel was a let down. Have a look around and see what the other options are within your budget before you book!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a deluxe?
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jenn_1610
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from 7 nights at hotel greenland turkey and loved every minute of it . We booked this holiday last minute for my partners 30th.lets start with a few negatives, the hotel is up in the mountains is a step walk to the rooms and top pool it tired us out and we are only 30 so would not advise people with walking problems to stay there. The entertainment Crewe work very hard especially keeping the children happy however the evening entertainment was a bit hit or miss a couple nights they had amazing Dance acts in which would then follow the following evening with bingo which was a bit of a let down, and that's all the negatives I can think of for the hotel the good points are that the staff are so friendly there English is amazing putting us to shame and they are happy to stay and have a chat with you or to leave u in peace to relax. The rooms are clean and modern some people on here have mentioned it can be loud at night not something we found and the food was delicious, yes there was chips every night but who doesn't like chips there was also amazing pasta and chicken dishes. Fresh salads and soups and also beef dinners. We found that most guests at the hotel were English does not bother us either way but nice if you want to chat to people. This hotel loves animals there dog Bella and cats run free as well as chickens . It was nice to have the option of the quiet pool as well as the loud one no music plays up here and though kids are still allowed they tend to stay by the bottom one. Location wise the hotel is about 20 minute walk to the town however buses are so easy and cheap to get around on we didn't find it a problem we did miss having a beach at our doorstep but the hotel does put on a free bus to the nearest one. We booked with first choice did some good trips one thing I will point out is that we had a night flight home so decided to do the Dylan check out which is a full day trip which was amazing then dropped to a hotel near the airport where you can have a meal and a room till you get picked up, you are given the option of 2 3 4 star my advice would be ask you rep the hotels name while booking this trip and google them first it may be only a few hours your in them for but after having a lovely holiday and trip on the last day you want to spend you last few hours in a hotel as nice as the one you just left .

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oludeniz
Liberty Hotels Oludeniz
Club Belcekiz Beach Hotel
Club Belcekiz Beach Hotel
#10 of 102 in Oludeniz
Monta Verde Hotel & Villas

Been to Hotel Greenland? Share your experiences!