“Great stay at hotel greenland”
Review of Hotel Greenland

Hotel Greenland
Ranked #16 of 102 Hotels in Oludeniz
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great stay at hotel greenland”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is my first time writing a review, so bare with me! I arrived with my family for a two week break. My first impressions of the hotel were how beautiful and scenic the hotel and surrounding landscapes were. I was then shown to my room, my first thoughts were it was a little small but adequite. The food was always lovely and fresh with plenty to choose from. Even the fussiest of eaters cant complain here. I always found the hotel exceptionally clean and well kept. The only negative was the location, the walk to the bottom of the road is very steep. I also found crossing the road to catch the dolmus to hisaronu a little dangerous at times as the road can be very busy. The staff are a real credit to the hotel, in particular Joseph what a diamond of a guy, if you want a turkish bath he's your man! Hisaronu is a lovely place, plenty of clothes and shoes which is great. All in all a great hotel with lovely staff and stunning scenery, will definitely return to Greenland hotel in the future.

• Stayed May 2014
12 Thank braveheart1990

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Turkish first
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Greenland with friends. The hotel is located quite a distance from the nearest large towns etc but a taxi is cheap and only a short ride to get to Fethiye and there is a free shuttle bus to a gorgeous local beach. I would advise getting the hotel to book you a taxi to go to the market in Fethiye, it is a fabulous experience with great bargains but be prepared, a lot of the market is under a canvas cover and is incredibly hot!
The hotel itself is clean, tidy and well looked after. The rooms are very small and quite basic but they are modern enough and most importantly they are clean! They are also air conditioned and have a small balcony which is perfect. There are a lot of on site facilities which keep everyone entertained. They have wi-fi, a water slide, table tennis, a shop and run a whole host of activities throughout the day before evening entertainment at night. No one can get bored! They do play loud music throughout the day at the bottom pool so if you prefer a quieter environment you may wish to use the top pool.
The food was plentiful and of good quality as were the drinks. They also made pancakes at the top pool which were delicious!
The real credit to this hotel is it's fabulous staff. Everyone is exceptionally friendly and welcoming, especially the entertainment team. They make you feel like an old friend and it is a pleasure to stay somewhere like this when so often hotels can seem distant from you and your experience. All in all a great holiday and we would definitely consider returning!

• Stayed July 2013
8 Thank ChloeDew
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just returned from a week at the greenland. The setting is idyllic. Wonderful for relaxing ( espescially by the top pool ). All of the hotel was spotlessly clean. Staff friendly and sweet. Probably put on about a stone in weight as the food was great & plentiful. Caught the local bus on several occasions to local towns. Well worth having a look around. Went one day to the private beach and had the best prawn cocktail ever in the beach restaurant. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Will probably go for a superior room next time in order to have a sitting area,although shower in ou...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Jane W
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Greenland for a week in June 2013 and booked with Jet2 holidays. Myself and partner travelled with my partners parents and 2 of our our friends who stayed in a hotel across the road. Myself and my partner had never fancied holidaying in turkey but my in-laws had stayed at this hotel a few years earlier and liked it so much that they wanted to return.

We arrived at the hotel just before midnight. The journey seems long considering the flight is only 4 hours from manchester. When you land at dalaman you have to add 2 hours on to the time because of the time difference, and the transfer to the hotel is a good 1hr 30mins (it could be more depending on how many drop offs your transfer does before you). We purposely chose to travel with Jet2 and £60 more per person as opposed to travelling with FirstChoice for slightly cheaper. Flight times with Jet2 are MUCH better than with FirstChoice. My in-laws flew out the same day but with FirstChoice. They didn't leave manchester until 11pm and arrived at the hotel at 7am. It took them 2 days to recover from the tiredness! I have a few things to say about the return journey too but will put them at the end of the review.

We paid for a superior room when we booked as jet 2 offered £50 off the booking, and the better room cost £50. These rooms are situated at the quiet pool and all have a pool view. The room was lovely - spacious with nice furnishing and a wall mounted flat screen television. Plenty of English channels too. We had lots of wardrobe space and coat hangers. Bathroom lovely and clean with lots of space around the sick to put toiletries. If I remember correctly, we had to pay for the safe in the wardrobe but it wasn't expensive. The balcony was small but it didn't really bother us.

There are 2 pools at the hotel. An 'activity' pool at the bottom of the hill where they play music, play the likes of water polo, have a slide and the animation team do lots of bits throughout the day too. And there is a quiter pool at the top of the hill - we sat at the quieter pool as it was where our room was and we are not fans of being dragged into activities by animation teams when trying to relax! Or very loud children (no offence, we understand children should enjoy their holiday too). We made friends with other couples at the 'top' pool which was nice. Both pools have bars and a terrace to sit on. The views from the terrace at the top pool is beautiful. The mountains and forests look stunning. There are self service drinks machines at both pools including snacks all day. Coffee here is very nice for a machine!

The restaurant is at the bottom pool. You can sit inside or dine al fresco. The food is good, we never went hungry. A decent choice each night and at breakfast eggs and pancakes are made to order :) I imagine it would get a bit repetitive after a week but turkey is cheap enough to eat out for a change on a few nights. This is what we did. Desserts at the hotel weren't up to much but again, not having a bit of ice cream after tea doesn't ruin your holiday!

Entertainment at the hotel is poor but the team try their best and work hard! We never went to the amphitheatre but we sat at the main bar a few nights where entertainment continued after the kids disco. It's okay if you want to have a bit of atmosphere. The lads behind the bar are great fun and so are the fellow holiday makers. You make your own entertainment!

The hotel is up a rather steep hill - I wouldn't recommend it to those with any mobility issues. It is a fair way from shops and bars etc but if you head to the main road at the bottom of the hill you can flag the little buses down and they will take you into hisaronu and olu deniz for about 2lira. It's extremely cheap! There is plenty to do in these towns, lots of bars, restaurants and shops! I enjoyed venturing in to have a look around in the evening. One evening, we ate out in hisaronu, we ordered 4 drinks, 4 meals, bread and other bits for the table and the bill was only £40. You can't go wrong for the price. The markets are a MUST too. Lots of excellent replica items and you can barter the salesmen down to about 20% of the original price they gave you.

We went to the blue lagoon in olu deniz one day. Whilst it was very nice to look at, I preferred the beach where you can watch the parachuters land. The beach front/promenade is lovely with lots of nice bars and restaurants. At the blue lagoon, you have to pay to go in as well as the sunbeds and parasols. The beach is free to anybody and sunbeds are a couple of lira each.

We paid for late check out at the hotel which was about £30 to keep the room until 6pm. As myself and my partner travelled with jet 2, we were picked up from the hotel at about 6pm to fly home at 10.30pm. It seems that flights to England all leave at the same time so be warned that the airport is VERY chaotic. You have to have your suitcases scanned before you enter the airport, then check in, then go through security again and then go through passport control before you are airside. I do not mind the airport as I love travelling and feel like it is part of the holiday. But even I wanted to scream at how awful the organisation at this airport is! I thank god we weren't travelling with children - I felt very sorry for those who had very bored and tired kids. And just to make things worse it was 30 degrees!

We boarded our flight ready to depart on time but when we got to our seats a lady was sat in my partners seat. When she produced her boarding card it seemed they had both been allocated the same seat. She then asked me if we were travelling to manchester - which we was. So I asked what company she was travelling with for her to tell us Thomas cook - she was on the wrong plane! Obviously, this is rather frightening as this means that this lady managed to go through several boarding card checks in the airport, at the gate, and on the plane and was never stopped and redirected. MASSIVE security breach - as innocent as she was, she could've been anybody!? Please beware of problems like this at Dalaman airport. It is so chaotic that this is the type of thing that may happen.

My partners parents flew home at 4am with first choice after having to leave their room at 12pm the previous day. I wouldn't recommend these flights too much - although having said that the cabin crew with first choice might be a bit more rigorous when doing security checks? Make of it what you will..

All in all a great holiday at the Greenland! We'd definitely return :)

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank GracieMac1992
newcastle
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Again we booked the top pool room and were given a junior suite which overlooked the back of the hotel and not the pool, this was not a problem.
The problem we found was the hotel clients were predominately drunkard Brits and an embarrassment. A full vocabulary of abusive behaviour at hand, with the hotel down grading its once high standards to accommodate. Very sad.

Room Tip: choose a upper pool room
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mark B
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We as a family love the Greenland food is brill staff is fantastic the new rooms at the top are top class that's why we go in October as on a budget fantastic all round love it cleaning staff all day you see them first class hotel

Room Tip: The super rooms are top quality and if on a budget October as it is still hot but cold in the evenin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Dawn S
Perth Scotland
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at the Greenland Hotel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel staff and management could not have been more helpful. We were with our son and daughter-in-law ( a gift from them) in September - their 13th time at the hotel.
It was touch and go whether we would be able to fly, as 6 weeks before our departure date my husband had an accident and broke his ankle and crushed his heel. The Hotels Accommodation Manager and staff were very attentive and supplied a wheelchair so my husband could be a bit more mobile. We sourced and hired a Mobility Scooter from Nearby Hisaronu at a cost of £175 for 10 days and it was a gods-send. It was a robust 4 wheel type and I can certainly recommend the hire coy and pass on their details.
We were in block 2 and the room was really nice and had a small balcony with a really nice en-suite.
The breakfast and meals were good and varied and the chefs always on hand producing something different - we even had Sushi.
There was food available at the top and bottom bar most of the day and beverage stations dotted about the hotel and unbelievably the best Tea I have tasted abroad.
It is only a short dolmus or taxi journey to the nearby shops and restaurants in Hisaronu the beautiful beach at Olu-Deniz. A favourite eating place was Castello's where the T/Bone steak and food was delicious and loved sitting on the balcony watching all that was going on around us.

I can't think of a negative comment for the hotel or staff and we have booked for this year.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Stayed September 2013