“Shaky start but overall very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Club Flipper

Club Flipper
Ranked #28 of 35 Hotels in Yalikavak
Dorset, England
“Shaky start but overall very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We arrived late at night at Club Flipper which we had got as an RCI points exchange and the check-in process was a bit long-winded. Eventually we were taken to our apartment (56-3) only to find that the kitchen area was a shambles with fridge across the floor and the sink and 2 ring hob detached from the wall. We immediately said that it was not suitable and were then shown apartment 56-5 which was much better - leather 3 piece in much better condition, flat screen TV rather than an old CRT version. We suffered a few teething problems such as a lack of sink plugs and a toilet that dripped, but these were rectified by the next day. However we never did get any sort of welcome pack or washing up liquid.
When we awoke for our first day we were relieved to find that the view from our balcony was stunning, overlooking the largest of their 3 swimming pools and a view of the bay and Club Flipper's beach. A walk around the gardens indicated that it was a well maintained resort.
We had arrived at the start of the season and before the masses start to descend from Istanbul etc. However the peacecefullness suited us as we had the pick of sunbeds around the pool. It was only later in the holiday that we realised that we could ask for some sunbed mattresses to make it more comfortable, a point for others to remeber - do ask! However a bit more entertainment in the evening would not have gone amiss.
Previous reviews have spoken about the lack of English from the staff, whilst that is true for the cleaning staff, we still manged to make oursleves clear. The reception staff did speak some English and the managers at both on-site restaurants had a fair grasp of our language.
This area of Turkey was very nice and we had a couple of trips on local transport to Bodrum plus a day using the buses to go to the market at Turgetreis and 2 more small towns on the peninsula. Local transport is cheap, just 4.5TL to Bodrum which is 20km away. The local bus service from Club Flipper to the town of Yalikavak is just 2TL. This bus ran every 30 mins in our first week but then every 20 mins on the second week. It can get filled by some very noisy French holiday makers staying at the neighbouring resorts.
Bodrum Castle including the museum and the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus are sites worth visiting.
Do take advantage of the trips to Ephesus and Pammukale - you will not be disappointed. We took the 2 days trip including an overnight stay and that allowed more time at Pammukale which is an amazing place with white cliffs covered with the calcium carbonate that has been released from the waters flowing over the cliffs across the eons. Have a swim in the Antique Pool which is at a temperature of 35 degrees centigrade.
Weather in may was a mixture, we did have some rain showers but there was also some warm sun which was getting hotter by the time we left on 27th May.
I would recommend it, but do be prepared for some early shocks which you can get put right.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank BarnOwls29

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adana, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

i have been there last week, with my family and stayed there for 1 week. with this hotel you will love swimming in the sea because sea is great to swim. it is very clean sea and you will swim with little fish all the time. the hotel staff is smiling all the time and very helpful. the rooms is not bad but room service is not interested with us all the time.and too many mosquitos when you sleeping.but it is a calm holiday you will feel rested when you return your holiday, i guaranteee

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank badname
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

If you don't speak any Turkish this hotel is not for you. Everyone who worked at the hotel was in their twenties with no adult management. Beach was dirtt

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Cagdastraveler

Travellers are raving about these Yalikavak hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

It was my first trip to turkey and had heard good reviews, I was on a rci timeshare so stayed in one of the apartments. Although the rooms were clean they were extremely dated had no bath and the microwave sparked so cooking was very limited as there was only a hob. They did not supply you with anything no washing up liquid no t towels just dated pans and stained cutlery, there wasn't even a kettle. There was one English channel on the tv and everything inside the hotel was written in Turkish. The hotel staff were friendly but could not speak a word of English which made things extremely difficult especially when trying to find places to go, as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere! All you have around you is a building site, bumpy roads with no pavements and stray cats. The prices at the hotel were ridiculous £3.50 for half a pint of beer and £4.00 for a bag of pasta even though there was no choice in the on site supermarket! Alcohol prices were more expensive then some parts of London and unless you want to spend a fortune it definitely is not for a boozy holiday! We went into the local town and the mini bus service is good however the last bus was 9pm and it was unreliable, taxis were way to expensive so you are completely isolated. After seeing a dog having a fit on the way in and then seeing the same dog dead on the way back, I had just about had enough. We got back to the hotel and was suffering from extreme sun stroke we didn't even last 24 hrs and packed up our bags to head back to England. We thought the communication was bad when we got there let alone when we needed help, ended up paying £60 to get to the airport when a trip to the hospital would have been more sensible. Although now bed bound with swollen legs and ankles I have never ever been so happy to get back to England!! A complete disaster in every way - never will I be returning to club flipper and I suggest no one else goes either!

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank Hannah-g100
Lichfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

Apartments a little tired but spotlessly clean and spacious. Set in beautiful gardens with profilic colouful shrubs and flowers. Amenities on site are excellent with swimming pools and private beaches which are also spotlessly clean and tidy. Staff very helpful and friendly. Reception staff not very informative and do not understand much English.
It took us three days to find Yalikavak town and harbour which is well worth visiting in the evenings with many excellent restaurents (I recommend Cumbali Restaurent).
The bus runs from the main gate of the resort every 20 mins, last bus back 10pm.
Very pretty area around Yalikavak with view points from cliff tops sign posted from Yalikavak. MUST DO - Turkish Bath and massage at Club Flipper Hotel

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RCWLichfield
north west
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2010

This was my first Turkish holiday so I was slightly apprehensive especially after having read some of the reviews here, AFTER I'd booked it! I believe some of these opinions are unfounded so i shall attempt to give it a fair assessment....
I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and I'm quite a discerning traveller having been all over the Med. I travelled with my 10 year old son and some friends. The hotel is very much out of the way so I was delighted that it was of such a high standard with many amenities. The beach views were beautiful although it was not the best beach. However, many water-sports could be pursued if desired hence the name club flipper. Entertainment was very good and I participated in the pilates (morning session) and the aerobics(evening session.) On one occasion, I joined the aerobics class and finished up gasping for breath only to be told when the session finished that the other participating ladies were members of a professional basket ball team! Not for wimps. Belly dancing lessons were held at approximately 4pm. The nightly entertainment was held in an amphitheatre and has got to go down as some of the BEST entertainment I've ever witnessed abroad. Each night, we'd finish with the hotel's club flipper song/dance which had great appeal for children and adults alike. Watch out for the evening mosquitos in the arena. Alcohol was very expensive at the evening outside hotel bar so not much good to anyone fancying a boozy break.
The hotel room was pleasant but a bit cramped. It was kept very clean as was the rest of the hotel. I wasn't keen on the bath/shower facilities but I loved my shower radio! The general amenities were excellent and when my son got a splinter, he was treated almost immediately by on site staff. The swimming pools were beautiful with any number to choose from. The hairdresser at the hotel gave my son a great, trendy hair-cut and insisted that he blow-dried it for free before dinner each night as my efforts wer in vain. The on-site photographer took great pictures and was very reasonable.
The food was fantastic and the waiters were most polite and attentive. As my friend said jokingly, I had my own little entourage of waiters with maybe 5 trailing me with a selection of dishes. The desserts were delicious and of very high quality. The presentation of food was most impressive. What more could you ask for?
Keep up the good work club flipper!

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank shivsglobetrotter
north west
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

the food there was delious and the entertainment was the best....but the staff were friendly but if you go look out for a waitor called ali he was a bit well to be honest pervey. The food as i said was sensasional and the rooms were very clean and huge! I had a nice stay but wouldnt go back again!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family