“A good holiday”

Cactus Mirage Family Club
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Yalikavak
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Arrived after a delayed start to our holiday due to ash cloud but service on arrival was excellent quickly allocated rooms near main amenities and exactly what we had requested. Hotel is set in gardens which were well kept, but there are quite a lot of steps.
Food in the hotel was good plenty of choice in the buffets, although I would have preferred a bit more fruit at breakfast.
Had a Turkish bath and massage on 1st day which was good and got rid of tension and helped me to relax.
The hotel is situated a good 20 mins walk from town which we walked into a few times but you could get dolmus which stopped outside hotel.The staff were all very friendly and helpful
The only draw back to the holiday was that apart from another couple we were the only British people in the hotel all the rest were French.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PamM2Z
There are newer reviews for Cactus Mirage Family Club

Reviewed 15 October 2009

Words could not describe what a wonderful trip. Beautiful hotel set in gardens maintained every day. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. The manager sat at dinner and would have personally dealt with any problems we had. People warned us, beware two single females with there niece would hate it. How wrong could they have been. Swimming with fish each day. Big thanks to Captin and Gurnesh who kept us entertained with the jet skis and the exciting and beautiful fast trip. Laughing with others who dared to ride the ringos and banana boat. ON YOUR OWN we cried as one by one they hit the deck. With a wonderful choice of food, clean rooms and comfortable surroundings, spa, pool, shop, we only strayed out twice the local bus service took 10min to a wonderful harbour. The only bad point was when we had to leave. Many thanks for providing us with the perfect getaway Joanne, Debbie and Anna-lee..

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CountryBumpkinJo
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We booked this holiday the week before we travelled having searched what seemed like hundreds of hotels - and were not disappointed by our choice. The hotel is set out on a side of a hill and there are lots of steps but it is laid out so well they were not a problem. The hotel was clean and well looked after by all the staff. They seemed to be constantly cleaning and polishing.
The entertainment staff do a fab job even though the evening shows were pretty basic but fun.(mainly geared towards the french) The pool dance which was done every day around the pool and in the evening, was very catchy - it even had us joining in ...... Georgio, JJ and Goosam work really hard and deserve lots of credit. All the waiters are very helpful and friendly.
The food in the main restaurant was always good, Plenty of choice and variety. A main dish was always cooked fresh in front of us. The salad bar had plenty of choice and was very clean. Ice cream was a big plus for us - it was lovely. During the day the snack bar offered a good choice. The food was a big plus for this hotel.
Each night while you ate your meal two lads sang - they were brill and should be used more maybe in the bar later at night.
Because of the size of the hotel, there was very little queing and no major problems with sun beds.
Even though there was only a small beach area we found this a plus - no messy sand every where. The jetty into the sea was great and the sea well worth trying.
We did a trip to Dalayan mud baths which was well worth it although a long time on the coach ( 3 hrs each way) but we did get to see the lovely coastline.

We would highly reccommend this hotel. We travelled with our 7 year old and our teenager - both really enjoyed their holidays for different reasons. It was a quiet hotel but that suited us and we made some great friends who we had a good laugh with (Posh and Becks.......)

One word of warning Bodrum Airport is a major rip off for food - 2 potions of chips £10.00 watch out,

We will defiantly be coming back to Turkey - wonderful place ...

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank MMckenzie
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Arrival at Cactus is encouraging. Spacious air conditioned reception, a warm welcome and even the offer of a “lunch box” if you are peckish. It was 3 am when we arrived so this offer was politely declined.

We were then escorted to our rooms and our first encounter with the legendary Cactus layout. It was all steps and most were down the way (except for the bit up to our 1st floor accommodation). Worth remembering if your luggage is 25kg, you’ve got to carry it!

We had requested two rooms and these were helpfully provided next door to each other (227/228) in a block not too far from reception. Only about 50 steps to negotiate! Blocks appear to all be two levels.

Initial reaction to the room was very favourable. It was bright and modern, and an adequate if compact size for one or two people, tastefully furnished with TV and a fridge, a safe, air conditioning, table and chairs, various units and enough space to store the clothes. And a couple of rugs to boot! The shower room had a compact modern walk in shower unit sink and toilet, not large but more than adequate. There was also a balcony which had table and chairs for two. Sea views on two sides (just).

Having been a Torba just along the road last year (Club Voyage – review on TA) this was a big improvement for a hotel of supposed lesser standing.

However once you start to get into the Cactus way of life you do start to come across a few things to irritate you. Well me at least!

The all inclusive. Its very nice to have a fridge in the room stocked with beer water and juice, but why charge for it? It’s an all inclusive hotel and I can walk to the nearest bar and refresh myself so it seems counter productive. At least the prices and sizes of fridge content isn’t onerous. 1.5 litres of water is one euro, the fizzy juice (1l) two euros and beer (skol 1l – yuk!) 3 euros. There was even a litre bottle of red wine for 10 euros). If it’s the stuff they serve at the restaurant, avoid!

The restaurants and bars are next to the pools and I suspect that for most people this is where the holiday will be spent. Only about 50 or so steps to here from 227/8! Incidentally, there are helpfully placed benches while negotiating the stairs for you to have a breather on the way up, or down!

Two pools, one for children (toddlers) which has a canopy over it so the kids don’t burn in the sun. Very clever idea this. The adult pool is a large rectangular pool approx 30m long at a useful 1.5m deep from one end to the other so if you like doing your early morning 50 lengths this is ideal for you. There were no issues getting sun loungers when we were here and there were days we went down at 1030 and still managed to find three together.

Next to the toddlers pool is the hotel shop which I felt was a waste of space. It didn’t stock much of interest. Not even a newspaper. Next to this was a gym. Well, I say gym but it was a few machines for you to have a wee exercise before the 50 length swim. Also in this vicinity was the evening bar. And toilets including one for disabled people. Politically correct box ticked but I cant help but help wonder which disabled people would use it given the layout of the Cactus!

Next to large pool was the imaginatively titled pool bar and restaurant and above this was the main restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner. Which brings me nicely to the food.

When I book a holiday I always pay close attention to what people say about the eateries and TA feedback seemed to be positive with scores including restaurants.
It is with great regret I have to report that the cooked food is dreadful. I will exclude the salad which was fresh and plentiful and great. But not appreciated by my kids.

One evening the choice of meat consisted of mutton and fish, complete with head fins and tail! My kids were less than impressed. My main gripe is that the veg is not so much cooked as murdered. Now some people, granted, will like this, but not me.

The choice is not great in the cooked selection I feel. The meat I must say was cooked very well so some redemption here..

The drinks were served from a makeshift bar and the staff I will say are great and always very friendly. Pepsi, local fanta and sprite are on tap with beer, Tuborg, which you get used to!. Wine will be served by glass or carafe of varying sizes. White and rose were fine, red I did not care for. There are also self help dispensers for diluted orange, currant and water. Tea (Turkish) and coffee also available.

And now the low point of the holiday, breakfast.

I have tried hard to think of a holiday where breakfast has been as dreadful as the Cactus Mirage and I am struggling badly here.
The first thing I do when I get to breakfast on holiday is to have some nice refreshing orange or pineapple juice to start the day. Incredibly, there is none!!! Sure there is the same diluting stuff from dinner the previous night, but not what I am looking for. It is with some regret that I advise that the Cactus Mirage has failed my “world famous orange juice test” ™. Spectacularly!

And it gets worse. The cooked breakfast consists of scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, and something that may or may not have been a type of continental sausage. The autopsy report was not available at time of writing. And a chef is on hand to make you a fresh omelette if have the patience. So the cooked score is eggs three meat one. Bad luck for me, I don’t like eggs!!
Still there is always the breakfast cereal. Hmm, definitely of the minging value brand variety!
I shouldn’t complain that the selection is geared more towards our continental cousins with salad stuff, cheeses and meats. The selection of cheese was very good. I like to have this after lunch or dinner. Guess what, none to be had, any meal, except breakfast.
If you like fresh fruit, you are in luck! A positive slant at last!! So it was watermelon for breakfast for me. Except the morning where there was none! Probably done to spite me. Plenty at lunch that day!!

It is at this point I would mention that the Cactus Mirage has two sister hotels in the resort and you are allowed to make use of their facilities including eating here (but tell reception first). One night after another less than inspiring dinner we visited the Cactus Fleur and wandered around the restaurant. The food was identical to the Mirage!! So, if like me, you were seeking an all inclusive escape at no cost, bad luck. They must do all the catering centrally!

At about 3pm in the corner of the pool by the table tennis and darts a lady appears and makes gozlemes. Very tasty and great with the Tuborg!

Apparently there is soup available at 11pm although I didn’t experience this. Sorry!

Another 50 or so steps down from the pool is the area next to the sea. I have avoided the use of the word beach because there isn’t one really. A small stretch of sand does exist but is festooned with sun loungers. Some of these are under canopy rather than umbrella and I must say I liked this from a protection point of view .

Best way to enter the water was from the small pier erected and this made a pleasant change from waddling in from the shore. You have the option to dive or jump in or take the steps.
For those energetic types there are the traditional holiday activities organised by the dynamic entertainment team. The same team do most of the evening entertainment. You will know when it starts as the boy and girls run around shouting “showtime”. a wee bit of pressure to attend but you will not miss much if you don’t go.

There was only one night when we were there that entertainment was imported, a troupe of young dancers doing some traditional Turkish stuff. It was an improvement.

The Cactus Mirage is a bit out of the way so nightlife and shopping is at a premium so a lot of people got the local bus into Yalikavak or, I suspect, Bodrum itself.

A few other observations, the water is not bottled, it comes from a dispenser, so keep your bottles that you buy for the flight out or take some other container. The bar would not give me bottled water, but I know for a fact that they do have them!

Towels are not part of AI so take your own. The hotel reception can sell you them if required for about 10 euros or the shop can next to pool area.

Being a muslim country the sink in the toilet in your room does not have a plug. If you have one and wonder why it does not fit this is because it is for the shower! The shower base is actually bigger than the sink and if you feel the urge to wash clothes, is actually better than the sink!!

So there you have it. For a three star hotel it is actually very good. You get what you pay for really. But for the cooked food and breakfast I would have rated this place much higher but the failings are so great I seriously considered giving this two star rating. However the standard of accommodation and staff saved the day here. And I enjoyed the exercise the steps provided. 100 from sea to room!

Footnote: the “world famous orange juice test” ™ . In my experience I have never been in a great hotel that had bad orange juice for breakfast. The two go hand in hand. Try it!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Blueangels
Reviewed 28 June 2009

Spent 2 weeks at this hotel and what a brilliant holiday we had. All the staff went out of their way to help you nothing was ever to much trouble. The hotel was kept imaculate along with the gardens. Food was superb with a really good selection day and night. Resort was quite (which we wanted) but Bodrum, Turgatres, Bitez were only about 30minutes by dolmus and cost about 3/4 lira. The town itself is very unspoilt but really quaint wiyh a few shops and some lovely bars and restaurants. If you looking for a clubbing holiday with loads of noise and nightlife dont go to this resort. It has to be one of the best holidays that we have had in Turkey and we are hoping to go back in September this year . There was no need to leave the hotel as it had everything there, shop, Jewellery shop, Spa and you can also use the other 2 sister hotels a short walk along the beach. Would Highly RECOMMEND.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank anneOxford
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I spent 1 week there in June, I've already began looking at going back later this summer and I've only been home 2 hours! The service was amazing, the activities were great, food was amazing, lovely salad bar, the best thing about it was the people. The band there was amazing, great music, and very nice guys. The resturant was 5 star in my opinion. They animation team were amazing, I really regret not being able to say good bye to them, so hopefully they will see this and know that I wanted to. (Ipek, Gege, Georgio)

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Jacob-Parent
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I chose this hotel on behalf of my friends and I because the reviews were good.

The room and its beautiful surroundings were spotless. Cleaned every day by such friendly staff that I gave her £10 which is not much for us but means an awful lot to them. The food was great in comparison to lots of other hotels in Turkey with something there for everyone. The bar staff were all fabulous and enjoyed a bit of fun with us. We met some fantastic people who we hope to keep in touch with as well.

The only things I would like to point out are the steps that a few people pointed out in the reviews. There are quite a lot, especially if your room is at the top, but they were nice and wide and benches are provided for you to have five.

We did have one boy to help us with our cases when we arrived, but the hardest thing was carrying them back up the steps when you leave.

The biggee for me was that there were no shops around or no where to have a little walk around. The little harbour village of Yalikavak is only about 10 minutes on the dolmus but there were hardly any shops there either. We did a bus trip to Turgetreis and that was lovely with lots of little indoor market stalls. We also did a boat trip from Yalikavak which cost about £23.00 each. The boat only takes a maximum of 12 people and is fantastic value and you have a great lunch, then later lots of different fruit and later again drink and biscuits. You stop about 4 times either to swim and just take in the scenery.

A fabulous time was had by all and we would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you don't do shops.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends