“Great Food, but Wait Staff Needs Training”
Review of Dove Mountain Grill - CLOSED

Dove Mountain Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Marana, Arizona
“Great Food, but Wait Staff Needs Training”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Myself and two companions enjoyed the food and atmosphere at the Dove Mountain Grill, but our experience was marred slightly by the inept waitress assigned to our table. First, let me say that the kale and berry salad, the veal meatloaf and spicy shrimp pasta dishes were all very good, served without delay and piping hot. Our server, however, needs training. When ordering the large salad, we had told her that we were splitting it three ways. When she delivered it to the table, she brought the large salad....only. No extra dishes, no utensils for dividing it up. We had to flag down another server who found our waitress who then brought us the extra plates. (Did she think we were all going to eat from the same dish?) In serving our main dishes, instead of coming around the table to deliver the "very hot plate", the waitress reached across the front of the person next to me and left my order. (It is so rude, as we all know, to reach across another person at the table! I was not sitting against a wall or anywhere that would have prevented her from coming round to my side of the table.) Lastly, we were all still enjoying our dinners when she brought the dessert menus. That's OK, I suppose. But, we were still finishing up and enjoying conversation when she came back to see if we wanted to order dessert. I told her we were not quite finished with our meals. I wanted to ask, "What's the rush?" The restaurant was not crowded...maybe it's just me, but I dislike being pushed when I'm trying to enjoy my food. Needless to say, the disappointing server got a disappointing tip. This restaurant is not "casual dining." The manager really needs to pay attention to the little details that will make people want to come back.

• Visited July 2013

Marana, Arizona
“Where are David and Claudette?”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stopped by for our usual cocktail and early dinner. New bartender -- no cocktail napkin, had to ask for menu, had to ask to order. She wasn't interested in us at all. I liked David and Claudette, they at least said hi and appeared to be interested in our dining experience. Won't be back, the menu was never that stimulating.

• Visited April 2013
“Good food”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

This spot is dependable and comfortable. Food has been consistently enjoyable and favorful. One of the best on Marana or Oro Valley.

• Visited March 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Great food and extensive wine list”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Dove Mountain Grill sits at the entrance of Dove Mountain, home of the Ritz Carlton, The Gallery and Golf Club at Dove Mountain.
Owned by someone who lives in Dove Mountain, he takes a hands-on approach to the day-to-day operations of the restaurant.
The menu has a wide selection, and the wine choices are very good and varied as well.
Suggestion: if you like meatloaf, try it here.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Aki T
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not great for a large group”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

My issue with this restaurant doesn't have anything to do with the food - the food is delicious.

I contacted their events manager a month ahead of the date I needed to reserve a space for 14 people. I was traveling to The Ritz Carlton in Marana, AZ for a business event and needed to find a restaurant to accommodate a large group for dinner. I called their events manager and received confirmation via email that the reservation had been made for the day/time I specified. When my group showed up at the restaurant for dinner, there was no record of the reservation I made. I immediately pulled up the email confirmation I received (signed by the events manager), to which they told me that the events manager was out of the office for eye surgery.

The staff did accommodate our group, though they seemed very reluctant to do so. I didn't understand their reluctance since 1) they clearly dropped the ball and 2) our group was obviously going to be generating a substantial amount of business for the restaurant on a slow Thursday night.

Pretty sure I will not return to this restaurant, and I will certainly not recommend it to others.

• Visited March 2013