This was our first trip to a Ritz Carlton property. I think my expectations of luxury and opulence based on the Ritz Carlton brand weren't quite met, however I do love this resort. Driving up it certainly didn't appear to be anything above a 4-star resort. Nothing overly fancy. The service of the bellman were friendly and eager to help on arrival. Upon walking through the front entrance however, the expansive and gorgeous grounds opened up and expanded up into the desert. The wide open concept, the patio that looks out over the pool is breathtaking. Jim, the bellman that took our luggage to our room, and gave us an overview of the layout of the grounds, restaurants, spa, etc. was completely delightful and charming. The rooms were beautifully appointed, with views of the desert from our particular room. It was smaller than I expected but still enjoyable nonetheless. The beds were very comfortable, with turndown service each night. The bathroom was beautiful, the tub was deep enough to swim in it and the bath products were nice as well.
We started our weekend off with appetizers and drinks at Ignite, the bar and restaurant that sits out on the patio. The beautiful Arizona weather made for a completely relaxing and exquisite first night. The food and margaritas were very good. A flute player hikes up into the mountains and plays each evening. There are several fire pits which you can sit around and order food and drinks on the patio. It was a full house memorial weekend, not a seat open. I was surprised they did not have more servers for such a busy weekend. People stayed late into the evening listening to music. After the flute player, each night they had a different one-man band, both were incredibly talented.
We spent a day at the spa, which was beautiful. Gorgeous facilities. The staff was incredibly helpful, the manager stayed late to give us a tour and book our treatments for the following day. We had use of the private pool all day which was serene and quiet. Michelle was my masseuse and it might have possibly been one of the best massages I've ever had. We enjoyed food and beverages at the spa area. Mine was good, however my husband's was cold. The food came from the resort kitchen and took quite some time to receive. That is my only complaint. I would assume they would service the spa patrons a little better. Our server only came around about once every hour. The following day was spent at the main pool, it was lively, loud, and very crowded, which was to be expected for memorial day. The servers were on top of things, checking in every 15 to 20 minutes. The service was very quick. We ate several meals; breakfast and dinner at Core. The food was delicious, the wine menu was expansive and we thoroughly enjoyed each meal there. Our server Lynette, whom we had several times was very friendly, cheerful and positive despite working several days in a row for about 18 hours a day.
Overall I would definitely recommend this resort and hope to return soon. I would not stay with the winter rate at $500 a night, however the summer rates are reasonable, aside from the $25 resort fee for a fitness center in which we did not use, and Wi-Fi which was unnecessary. I will never understand resort fees! Don't plan on driving into town for dinner unless you want a 30 minute drive. This resort is quite a distance up in the desert north of Tucson. However everything was easily accessible on the grounds which we enjoyed. We will be back to this little desert gem!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain is Tucson's finest luxury resort, nestled in the high Sonoran Desert against the Tortolita Mountains. Featuring a destination spa, adventure programs that can restore your soul, world class hiking, Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf, indoor and outdoor dining including True American Cuisine at CORE Kitchen and Wine Bar, and richly appointed accommodations in a striking canyon setting, this resort is a place where adventure and a gracious spirit come to life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton Dove Mountain Hotel Marana
- The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain Marana, Arizona