“Great getaway for relaxation”

The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Marana
USA
“Great getaway for relaxation”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I found this Ritz property to be fabulous and precisely as it promotes itself. It is a location focused on relaxation, natural beauty, and recreation rather that other locations that are designed to have more of an opulent, metropolitan feel. That being said, the facility was beautifully designed with an open air lobby and plenty of outdoor dining areas. The staff, room/bathroom quality, food quality, and level of amenities were all what I would expect from a Ritz property. Due to its rather remote location, I was relieved at the variety of dining options and never found need to leave the property. The poolside staff was excellent; anticipating our needs before we could even ask. My stay was apparently during a brief lull between busy periods, but the staff was plentiful and everyone encountered was as helpful as they were delightful. This vacation was a Girls' Getaway experience, but I would definitely return with my children as the kid friendly activities and amenities would make for a great quick getaway with them. Overall, a very pleasant, relaxing experience!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This was our first trip to a Ritz Carlton property. I think my expectations of luxury and opulence based on the Ritz Carlton brand weren't quite met, however I do love this resort. Driving up it certainly didn't appear to be anything above a 4-star resort. Nothing overly fancy. The service of the bellman were friendly and eager to help on arrival. Upon walking through the front entrance however, the expansive and gorgeous grounds opened up and expanded up into the desert. The wide open concept, the patio that looks out over the pool is breathtaking. Jim, the bellman that took our luggage to our room, and gave us an overview of the layout of the grounds, restaurants, spa, etc. was completely delightful and charming. The rooms were beautifully appointed, with views of the desert from our particular room. It was smaller than I expected but still enjoyable nonetheless. The beds were very comfortable, with turndown service each night. The bathroom was beautiful, the tub was deep enough to swim in it and the bath products were nice as well.
We started our weekend off with appetizers and drinks at Ignite, the bar and restaurant that sits out on the patio. The beautiful Arizona weather made for a completely relaxing and exquisite first night. The food and margaritas were very good. A flute player hikes up into the mountains and plays each evening. There are several fire pits which you can sit around and order food and drinks on the patio. It was a full house memorial weekend, not a seat open. I was surprised they did not have more servers for such a busy weekend. People stayed late into the evening listening to music. After the flute player, each night they had a different one-man band, both were incredibly talented.
We spent a day at the spa, which was beautiful. Gorgeous facilities. The staff was incredibly helpful, the manager stayed late to give us a tour and book our treatments for the following day. We had use of the private pool all day which was serene and quiet. Michelle was my masseuse and it might have possibly been one of the best massages I've ever had. We enjoyed food and beverages at the spa area. Mine was good, however my husband's was cold. The food came from the resort kitchen and took quite some time to receive. That is my only complaint. I would assume they would service the spa patrons a little better. Our server only came around about once every hour. The following day was spent at the main pool, it was lively, loud, and very crowded, which was to be expected for memorial day. The servers were on top of things, checking in every 15 to 20 minutes. The service was very quick. We ate several meals; breakfast and dinner at Core. The food was delicious, the wine menu was expansive and we thoroughly enjoyed each meal there. Our server Lynette, whom we had several times was very friendly, cheerful and positive despite working several days in a row for about 18 hours a day.
Overall I would definitely recommend this resort and hope to return soon. I would not stay with the winter rate at $500 a night, however the summer rates are reasonable, aside from the $25 resort fee for a fitness center in which we did not use, and Wi-Fi which was unnecessary. I will never understand resort fees! Don't plan on driving into town for dinner unless you want a 30 minute drive. This resort is quite a distance up in the desert north of Tucson. However everything was easily accessible on the grounds which we enjoyed. We will be back to this little desert gem!

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the pool area. We requested one, however did not get. Lobby level was han...
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were looking for a getaway where we could decompress and relax and we found this at the Ritz-Carlton with one exception. Everyone from Valet to Housekeeping and in between were very friendly and accommodating. It's been awhile where we have encountered such attentiveness to our needs at such a resort. The food was great. I only have one complaint and its going to sound like I don't like dogs but the two instances happened on the same day and it really pertains to the other "Guests", if you must bring you pocket pets (dogs) with you on vacation please try to keep them for barking as much as possible. We had a guest 2 doors down leave their dog out on the balcony where he continued to bark, which we could hear in our room as we were relaxing. Then when sitting on the balcony drinking our coffee and reading our newspaper we had to listen three dogs barking at each other in the same location and the owners did nothing to prevent the situation - like walk away from each other. With that said, we didn't let the discourtesy of others ruin our vacation. We did have a wonderful time and will return.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just vacationed with my wife for 5 days.

Highlights: Wonderful setting. Wonderful, personalized service from polite and accommodating staff from the moment we set foot on the property. 9 out of 10 staff members we encountered went above and beyond to make us feel welcome. The spa pool is salt water (while the main pools are chlorinated) and was not crowded on any of the days we went. A guided hike of the canyon behind the resort is a MUST. You really get to connect with the setting of the resort and learn about plant and animal life. You also get some great views and photo opportunities just minutes from the resort's step! Be sure to ask for Ranger Ron.

Downsides: The resort is isolated from other activities by at least a 15-30 minute drive, other than the golf course, which is right down the road. Also, almost every meal eaten on site was underwhelming. We tried 3 of the 4 restaurants and were a bit disappointed each time. Don't get me wrong- the food was good, the portions were ample, and every staff member provided prompt, cordial service, BUT the quality of the food did not meet the expectations set by the rest of the experience.

Room Tip: The priciest rooms face the pool area and canyon behind the resort and give a feeling of seclusion...
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 27 May 2014

First, I would like to thank Jan Macy for all her help with the scheduling and details for our stay. Jan provided us with so much help for our first time visiting. Jan put her detailed touches to our stay which made it so memorable and comfortable. I wish there were more Jan's out there. I loved working with her.

Second, I would like to thank Adam, our "Cabana boy". He made our whole Saturday at the pool so much fun. He provided exceptional and over the top service. We really wished he was our "cabana boy" on Sunday too but he was called to do another section that day which made all of us kind of sad. Adam did however, come and visit us and made sure we were taking care of.

Adam's boss, Dan was very nice to us as well. We had a few glitches with the cabana and he made sure we were taken care of. That was a nice touch.

Really, everyone there was very friendly and so helpful. I also remember Kip, our Bellman, he was the first to see us and was helpful making sure our room was just so. That was really nice.

Our room had to be the best part of the trip, second would be the cabana experience. I highly suggest a room facing the pool. It was like a big party at night Lots of fires, music, s'mores, etc. going on. You could just sit and relax and enjoy the party from your own room.

Thank you all for your help and the great time at your resort.

Room Tip: Room with a pool view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Los Angeles CA
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I want to add to my previous review that Richard the pool supervisor was great - I wish all the folks were like him. He went out of his way to help me. I still think the ritz has a major staffing failure this weekend and at $600 a night I expected more. But I wanted to thank Richard for going out of his way.

Stayed May 2014
Woodside, California
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We needed to be in Tuscon for just a few days and picked the resort for its private location. The property was very well done and the pace of the resort was perfect for us. As expected we recieved excellent service and we were allowed to go at our own pace.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marana
White Stallion Ranch
Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Resort

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Dove Mountain? Share your experiences!