“No thanks!”

HI Hostels Suites Palermo
“No thanks!”
Reviewed 20 January 2012

As we opened the door to our room, we froze as we observed 3+ cockroaches scurry about. We stayed in the room just long enough to use the facilities and check for whatever may be beneath the bed linens. While in the room, more or the same few pests visited again. We cancelled our second night and cannot recommend this hostile.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank Rcat28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I booked through hostelworld for 3 nights. Day 1 I arrived, and there was stuff on all the beds, so I informed both members of staff on duty. Both informed me the previous inhabitants had checked out that day, despite there being a lock on one drawer. I went off to sleep and was woken at 3am by 2 girls insisting that I had to move, as I was in their bed. They then had to move their stuff, and were not particularly happy, so turned on lights and banged around for 20mins or so, waking everyone in their old and their new room. I assumed it was their fault.

Until the following day, when I went to ask at reception about a local restaurant. When I wanted to pay for my stay, I was informed that I was supposed to be moving room that day (1st I'd been told). I went to the new room, but it smelled of damp, and the previous people had left wet clothes on a makeshift clothes line in the room. I went back to ask if I could remain in my previous, much nicer, room, to be told by the staff that that was not possible, as it was set in the system, and if I didn't like it, they would refund that evening's stay and I could find another hostel. Now, I'm Irish, I don't expect a lot in the way of customer service, but this was a joke!

Eventually a more tactful staff member came along, blamed hostelworld, and left me in my room. But I am not confident that I won't get woken tonight at 3am and told to get out of my bed and move room, because of the system!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Fresh_eyes
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I soo love this hostel! Found it in the Lonely Planet and booked it, and very much enjoyed my stay here! I stayed here for two weeks and after that I came back (from my round trip) for another two nights. The rooms are clean and spacious (best pillows I had during my stay!), the staff is incredibly helpfull and nice and I met lots of great people to hang out with! The breakfast is simple but good. They offer a lot of activities and the staff helps you out with things like booking a bus to other places in Argentina and also finding your way around Bs.As.. I especially liked the pub crawl on Wednesdays and the cocktails from Eileen! They also have a really big rooftop-terrace and a lot of common spaces.
Would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank VeraWillemsen
Luang Namtha, Laos
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This hostel has charm. It is in an old building in Palermo, and is incredibly clean. The staff are nice, and they let you sleep at night. They don´t try to create a party atmosphere by playing loud music when people are reading in the common area, eating breakfast, or checking their email. The beds are comfortable, the bathroms are always fully stocked with toilet paper and hand soap, and there is a kitchen. Breakfast is the standard fruit, Cornflakes, bread, dulce de leche, and coffee spread. Aside from that, Hostel Suites Palermo is unique, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank jw95521
Reviewed 9 January 2011

Well located in cool Palermo Soho, close to the subway station and walking distance to restaurants and bars of the area.
Staff is really nice, very helpful. Breakfast was just basic. Internet too slow.
I got a twin private room ensuite which was very noisy, probably because it was the first room in the top floor, so we heard everyone walking and talking. The bathroom was fine, though the sink was in the room, not in the bathroom (?).
Overall, it´s ok.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank flor_sc
Frankfurt
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Rooms:
Not very furnished, too hot, bedbugs.
Bathrooms:
On our floor only hot water, next bathroom two floors down - not very useful for a shower in the early morning :(
Staff:
Helpful, but formal, almost no personal approach.
Cultural Programme:
Timetables were never right, we ended up not doing anything because it was seldom clear which was the actual programme for the next day.
Security:
No lockers, you have to bring your own lock to close a sort of wooden box under your bed.
Other aspects:
Breakfast was terrible, especially the "coffee" and in the end everyone must wash his plates by him/herself (imagine how hygienic that is); better go outside to have fresh croissaints with good coffee and good service for little money in every cafe around the corner.

You can really find better places for the same price...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

London
Reviewed 24 March 2010

The hostel was clean but quite basic and has seen better days. If you´re on a budget you could find much better for the same price, especially if you´re looking for a double or twin room. Location was good though and the staff were friendly and helpful

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple