“Not Impressed!”

HI Hostels Suites Palermo
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I booked this Hostel after staying in a lovely lodge in the San Telmo area (La Querencia de Buenos Aires). We stayed in a double room with a private bathroom for the same price as our place in San Telmo however we were not impressed. Here are our pros and cons:

Pros:
1) the reception staff are really nice and helpful.
2) the location of the hostel is great.
3) Although there are many people staying at the hostel and during the day there is a bit of noise, in the evening, there is very little noise.
4) the kitchen is clean enough.

Cons:
1) We ran out of toilet paper in our room and when we asked for more we were told that they had run out! Apparently the supplier hadn´t arrived.
2) Breakfast consisted of toast, cereal and tea. When we came down for breakfast there was no jam or butter, we asked for more but were told that there is no more because (again) the supplier had not arrived.
3) The bed sheets on the mattress were not fitted therefore they kept slipping off and we found ourselves sleeping on the stained mattress.
4) In general the room was not clean. There were stains on the towels, sheets & mattress. There was a butter knife left behind the radiator. There was dust in a few places and some hairs!
5) The shower was tiny and we had to keep the shower curtains open just to fit in. The hot tap kept cutting off so we were left with cold water.

If we were staying here for little money a night then it would be fine but we were paying $70 a night so we expected more. I know there are much nicer places around so if I were you I would skip this place and look for a better option, especially as a couple.

Room Tip: go to La Querencia de Buenos Aires instead.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed here for two nights last week and found the place to be very clean and comfortable. The front dest staff are very knowledgeable and speak at least English alongside Spanish. We had a double room at the front with a small balcony and found it delightful. Beautiful old furniture, great features and a comfortable bed. A basic breakfast is included, although they could do with another toaster as we had to wait about 20 minutes to get some bread in one morning!

Room Tip: Room 20 at the front (a double with en suite) is beautiful, with a small balcony (the only one we th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeckyHumberstone
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed there in Jan 2011. I really liked the building and the staff and I met some nice guests when I was there. I also had local friends living in the area which was great also. I don't have anything to complain about because I love people and and a good deal and the people I met were great and it was a great deal. Try staying at a hostel in North America and you will really appreciate what Argentina has to offer at a fraction of the cost. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I miss them. The building was beautiful and in a nice district of Buenos Aires with many things to see within walking distance and a Subte station nearby. Palermo is a tready neighbourhood full of great places to eat and it is a lot quieter than down on Florida Street where I stayed before. I would highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank letmethinkVancouver
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

The hostel is pretty on the outside, and very well located. Some of the staff was helpful, some werent. The headmaster of the staff was nice. Rooms are barely ok, and the bathroom quite disgusting at times. We had cold days, and sometimes had to wait 20 minutes for the water to begin to get warm. Not good since i hate to waste water. Our room was on the 4th floor and still we could hear everything that happened below. Most of the staff is pretty young and smoke, drink and do drugs. Not very familiar, but somewhat friendly. Palermo is great, though.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Gabrielpaiva
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Really nice Hostel , Everything you need, Free Internet and Breakfast ,
Right beside the Subte
Some nice bars too a short walk ,
Really good staff , but was left hanging outside the gate one night for 20 minutes , Other that that really good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Lyonsanthony
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The hostel is a couple of blocks away from the subway and about 20 blocks from the alto Palermo shopping mall (you can change USD there). It's near the parks too. Palermo is a great district and we're very glad we picked this one. The girls on reception are friendly, helping out with tours etc.
Rooms were okay....showers to be recommended at certain hours if you want a 'hot' shower. It was never better than tepid. We stayed in the first room at the top of the stairs. The hostel is very noisy, people talking to all hours, the road outside can get noisy too, with revellers out till 6.30am. We had to go and buy earplugs as we couldn't rest after 2 long haul flights.
Overall, location wise, pretty good, definitely not a hostel for people who want a quiet one.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank lamster99
Reviewed 26 July 2012

First of all I'd like to point out that the staff is great. They went the extra mile and I'm very satisfied with their service. Then, the hostel wasn't so impressive. I stayed in a female dorm with 5 other girls. The room had NO outlets rather than the one in the bathroom so charging my phone or computer was almost impossible. The lockers were big but mind that they don't rent padlocks! Even though the room was big for hostel standards, the bathroom was TINY. I took a shower and the water at first was only warm. After 5 minutes it went glacier cold. I was already in there so I nearly froze in July.
Breakfast was OK: bread, coffee, tea, chocolate milk, jams, butter and dulce de leche.
The storage room isn't supervised so don't leave ANY valuables. I mean, it's locked but they give out the key to anybody. I stayed in Florida suites, a sister hostel, and they did supervise that.
Location is convenient but the block in which the hostel is located is SCARY. I felt safe walking around Palermo and when I walked on that street I got a bad feeling. It's gloomy and dirty. Avoid walking around late at night.
Last but not least: sleeping quality is horrible. My dorm was downstairs and lots of people walk around that corridor. They are NEVER quiet. The dorm has an old door with windows and the curtains are white. The light in the corridor is always on so there's light coming into the room all night long.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo