“Meh... Not impressed”

HI Hostels Suites Palermo
Cordoba, Argentina
“Meh... Not impressed”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My stay was average. This was my second stay at HI Palermo because it happens to be near the US embassy and I had a two-day interview there. Always try to walk on Santamaria de Oro and not Godoy Cruz. The latter feels SO scketchy! Oh, if you ride the subway, getting off at Plaza Italia feels so much safer than Palermo. I didn't actually stayed long: I usually do hostel activities and I used it only as a place to crash this time.

PROS: The hostel cleanliness can be easily seen since I always bumped into someone cleaning, esp. the floors. Reception staff were nice. Location. There seemed to be free access to computers. The WiFi was good near the reception (I used my phone's Internet in the room). Good value: $125 per night in a four female dorm.

MEH: I wish they'd rent locks or lend them. I forgot mine and I had to buy one at the reception.

CONS: breakfast was basic (bread, cream cheese, jam, cereal) but the coffee was HIDEOUS. Worst coffee I've ever had! I used milk and it was full of its skin. Yuck! I need to drink something for breakfast. Orange juice was from that powdery type and it was waaay too dissolved. Overall, I felt breakfast was cheap, like they didn't want to spend money on food. I had to had breakfast elsewhere.
I tried to shower and the water was never hot. I was too tired to get dressed to go and complain, so I showered as fast as I could. It is not pleasant to shower like that when it's 10C/50F! Don't go to room 9!
Mattresses are getting quite slim. Not too bad since I only slept there one night.
People from room 8 tried to unlock their door and the noise was SO loud. I could hear everything that was going on in the hallway. Not soundproofed! I had a terrible night sleep.

Consider it an average hostel. Good for young people who don't expect much.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed in the Hostel Suites Palermo in 2009. The staff were young, friendly and just everything you would like them to be. More than helpful and going out of their way many times to make things comfortable. Our room was average (but from others in our group staying in other nearby places, we seemed to have the best deal). Great breakfast. The Internet was available in the common area, not in the rooms - possibly the ground floor would have access as well. It was possible to call a taxi as required and the staff were always helpful about it. It is a cheap place and very good value for the money. Location is very good as one can walk around to see nearby places. No cooking or microwave. On a budget - great place to stay.

Room Tip: There are rooms with attached bathrooms. Can ask for that. Lower dormitory has attached bathroom as...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Decent location only 5 mins walk from main street in Palermo. Most of the staff were friendly, one helped book onward bus journey.

Bathroom dirty, bathroom door didn't lock properly, shower terrible/lukewarm, noisy dripping tap, no hand soap in bathroom. Breakfast average to poor (one morning no plates so had to use bowls for toast!), just toast/cereal the usual stuff, cutlery sticky so needed to wash before use. Bedding too small for the bed so comes off in the night, woke up on bare mattress each morning, which certainly didn't appear clean. Wifi didn't work in the dorms for us, so had to use only in communal areas. Very noisy, dorms overlook outside area so lots of shouting/screaming until early hours from some other guests, no attempts from staff to stop this.

Would expect this from a much cheaper hostel, not sure this is worth the money but cheap/value accommodation difficult to find in BA.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I spent five nights in Hostel Suites, Palermo and I enjoyed my stay. I was in an all women's dorm, which had it's own bathroom (which was nice). The room was kept clean, the staff was friendly, so that puts it above average hostels. They had a lot of activities that they could plan, but they were a little expensive. They also helped reserve my shuttle to the airport (with a different company than the one they offer). The area is nice, and I think it's a great place to stay. The rooms themselves were a little expensive, but at least the quality was good.

Room Tip: If you are a women traveler, do the all women's dorms. It's nice that they have their own ba...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I stayed here 2 nights on two spate occasions due to its relatively close location to the Jorge Newbery Airport. I was able to walk from the airport to the hostel. It was fairly safe, with lots of people around Av Sarmiento and the park. I did the walk when it started to get dark.

The hostel is in a great location near to the night clubs and the Subte and buses. The hostel has good security, with the receptionist having to buzz you in. There is an outdoor area on the bottom floor, with tables and seating fro breakfast, drinks and socialising. There is also an indoor area with a TV, tables and couches as well as couches on the second floor. There is also a kitchen available for guest use. The building has character and is old, but generally well maintained. The dorm rooms have AC and ensuite bathroom. There is free WIFI and it is pretty easy to meet other travellers. I would definitely recommend this hostel and wold stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This hostel is well organized and spotless. The rooms are basic, but clean, quiet and felt safe. We stayed here in a private room at the beginning and end of our time around Argentina in March/April. The location is excellent as its close to the main road- Santa Fe and the subway making it easy to explore the rest of BA and only a 10-15 minute walk to the main shopping and nightlife area of Palermo Soho and Palermo Hollywood. The 2nd floor common area up the marble stairs is much more comfortable than downstairs. The one major flaw of this hostel is the lack of hot water in the showers. Our first room had hot water after letting it run for 5 minutes. But on our last 3 nights there, we never had hot water even after leaving it on for 15 minutes (such a waste). We came to BA sooner than expected at the end so we had to stay at another hostel around the corner first. That hostel (Amasoho) was awful and filthy, so it made not having hot water worth it for a clean space. The staff all spoke English and were very helpful and friendly. They also provide you with an excellent map of the city and subway.

Also note, for some reason it's significantly cheaper to book this hostel online. So make sure you book online and don't just walk in. Our friends just walked in and it was nearly 100 pesos more a night.

Autumn and Abe
Asquaredadventures.com

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Asquaredadventures
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

We got a private room (which was actually pretty much the same price as a hotel). The room itself was pleasant enough, although on closer inspection it was not particularly well cleaned. The bathroom was very cramped but it did the job.

My main complaint was the bedding... There was no fitted sheet on the mattress... Just a plain old sheet which fell off every time you moved (exposing a very grubby mattress underneath). Like another reviewer, we also ran out of toilet paper and were told there was none. For over 300 pesos per night, I wouldn't expect to have to go out to buy my own toilet roll! Breakfast was also very poor... Some bread, no butter (out of stock) and a scrap of jam (almost out of stock!). Also the kitchen is tiny, poorly stocked with cooking utensils, half of the oven rings don't work, and there is only one fridge for everyone in the hostel to store food.

On the plus side, the staff are lovely and the location is great.

This place may be worth a stopover if you are paying for a dorm room, but if you are looking to get a private room, then it is very poor value for money..... There are so many better options in BA.

• Stayed March 2013