“First-class all the way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Glu Hotel

The Glu Hotel
Ranked #3 of 451 Hotels in Buenos Aires
New York
“First-class all the way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I selected the Glu based on the fantastic reviews on trip advisor and it was the best decision. This was our second trip to Buenos Aires, and we had stayed at the Mine Boutique Hotel on a previous visit, which was wonderful (and I have reviewed it). BUT, after having stayed at the Glu, I cannot imagine staying at another property. I have found our new home in Buenos Aires.

The Glu gets everything right from the time you make your reservation (Johanna was so helpful and was there to greet us when we arrived). The responsiveness of the entire team and the willingness to help with everything from restaurant reservations to any item that is needed is remarkable. We stayed in the Glu Suite, which was simply fantastc! The room is really large (and larger than so many apartments in New York...where we live). It is beautifully designed with a sleeping area, living room, kitchen, plenty of closet space, great sized bathroom (with L'Occitane products) and the most amazing terrace (all for this suite). The terrace has a day bed, two chairs and a table. It was an absolute treat to enjoy our morning coffee and evening wines on this terrace.

The bed is super comfortable (I had the best sleep) and the soundproofing of the room is fantastic. The Glu Suite does face the front of the hotel (street side), but we had absolutely no problems with the sound. In fact, we loved facing this side as it made us feel so much more part of Buenos Aires and the neighborhood. There is a soccer club in front of the hotel and every evening with wine on our balcony we would see various teams practicing soccer.

The place where the Glu just emerges as a gem of a property, beyond its amazing rooms and facility, is the service. The staff is simply exceptional. I cannot say enough about Aixa. She was absolutely a delight to get to know during our stay and so willing to help with anything. The entire team of the hotel gets to know your name while you are there and always greet when you come and go. It was wonderful to return at night and have Diego greet us and ask us about our day and evening. Each member of the team shows genuine interest.

The Glu is family-owned and the owners are on site almost every day to make sure everything is going off smoothly. There is a buffet breakfast every morning, which was perfect for us (cereals, yogurt, juices, breads/croissants, cold cuts, cheese, fruits, and great coffee any way you want it). If you are looking for eggs or a hot breakfast you will need to step out, but there are so many places within a block of the Glu if you so desire.

The courtyard is also a lovely place to just sit back in the morning or in the evening as is the rooftop (which has a jacuzzi). All rooms have free wi-fi as well. Last, the location of the Glu is simply the best. It is in Palermo Soho, which I think is the best neighborhood to stay in Buenos Aires...much more fun then Recoleta! The hotel is in a perfect spot that allows you to enjoy everything in Palermo Soho as well as walk over to Palermo Hollywood. Downtown, Recoleta, the port area and San Telmo are all a taxi ride, but it is extremely easy to get one (and the ride is very reasonable).

Bottom line --- don't look beyond the Glu. Five star properties need to learn about service from this boutique wonder.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank barca212

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

If you like small hotels, and I do, this one is for you. The Glu is located in the very trendy, very artsy neighborhood of Palermo Soho (and how do Argentines ever come up with the names of their neighborhoods I'll never know). It's a tiny little property, sandwiched between the venue for an alternative theater and a larger residential building.

The place looks brand new, well appointed and very large rooms. It's got everything you'd want to make your life easier (flat screen tv, powerful WiFi, A/C). And then, there's the service. Unbelievably good. Not only was the staff responsive to my every need, they made an extra effort to anticipate what I'd need and took action. It would be difficult to describe how good, how friendly, or how helpful the concierges were, from booking a taxi (easy task) to finding the perfect restaurant for dinner within walking distance (I asked for new Argentinian cuisines-difficult task), they excelled all around.

If I had to find something amiss, I'd say that the breakfast buffet was on the small side. All the food was fresh and the coffee was excellent, but they really could use a little more variety. One more thing, Palermo Soho is not close to Buenos Aires' downtown and Recoleta, not that it bothered me at all, but getting down there and back is not easy.

Room Tip: If available, ask for a room in the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Toron
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Great experience! Booked last minute from Dec 31 - Jan 3, 2012. Nice location - Palermo Soho is funky and fun - good cafes and design stores, great for wandering and people watching. Hotel was clean and nice and boutique cool - great courtyard. But by far and away the best thing was the staff. The receptionists and concierges were AMAZING! Helped us book many parts of the rest of our stay with huge success. Made the trip incredibly easy. Normally, I don't like to get a bunch of help from concierges, preferring instead to learn the city on my own. But they were amazing and only enriched the experience. Recommend strongly. And recommend you tip the staff well too - they deserve it!!!

Room Tip: Rooms that open onto the back courtyard = quieter and have a more pleasant balcony
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulfromCanada1
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Our family, comprising five persons, stayed at The Glu Hotel, Palermo Soho, from 21-29 December 2011. This hotel falls under the category of a boutique hotel, implying a world away from the stereotypical and impersonal large hotels, especially those with well-known brand names.

I can state categorically, on behalf of my family, that in our extensive worldwide travels and our related wide experience of hotels, The Glu Hotel outshone in many respects. The ambience is modern, minimalist and not overwhelming and yet caters for all one’s needs. Therefore, the first impression one receives when entering the premises is aesthetic and not over-crammed. The staff at reception was very welcoming and helpful, and never failed to answer our queries, meet our requests, and offer us tips on sites to visit and how to reach them. The rooms were superb and well equipped, with a minibar with a useful sink area, and in the deluxe rooms, lounge area, a bar, coffee and tea-making facilities, and all rooms had flat screen TVs, free wireless internet, sofa/couch etc. Here, I need to mention that I can say, without doubt, that we have never stayed in a hotel where the room cleaning was of such a high standard – it was impeccable – and rooms were checked twice daily! Many hotels just make up the beds and clean the bathrooms – The Glu Hotel, ensured that you entered your room to find it as if it had not been lived in. In fact, I once returned to my room on the off chance to find the lady with a hand ironing machine, which ensured that the bedding looked prime each day! Congratulations on this very special feature. A continental breakfast was included and very adequate, and on request, could be served in the room. Again, the staff in charge of the breakfast area was friendly and helpful. At the end of a busy day traipsing around the large city of Buenos Aires, there was the thrill of sitting in the little courtyard in the back of the hotel with drinks and snacks, using the free laptop, or relaxing in the rooftop Jacuzzi or on the comfortable loungers. In true Glu style, one arrived at the Jacuzzi and found the towels at the ready on the loungers, and each guest is provided with a fluffy dressing gown and slippers. Last but not least, is the personal touch that this hotel provides, not only through its staff, but also the owner, Berta and her daughter, Patricia. I went through the reception area, where the management was holding a New Year celebration for its staff, and where the atmosphere was jovial and familial – everything the hotel stands for. As if not enough to treat its staff, we received a knock at our door, with cookies and champagne – on the house! On our departure, the staff came outside, including Berta, to wave us off. For any of you out there wondering where to stay, let me relieve you by telling you to go to The Glu Hotel. It is worth it in every sense of the word, and has converted us to the boutique hotel trend. The only worry is whether the others around the world will live up to this standard! Tremendous thanks and well done to The Glu Hotel crew – your vision and work have paid off, as our stay was truly memorable, gratifying and outstanding! We look forward very much to a return stay!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jhaasmakumbi
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed at the Glu Hotel at the beginning of December and found it to be above and beyond our expectations. The staff : Maria, Johanna, Luciano, Diego, Giuliano and Fiorella were warm, personable and always willing to help with any request. We felt our hotel was like a home away from home. The rooms were modern, clean and very spacious. Also, the location was excellent with hundreds of restaurants, cafes, and stores within walking distance.
We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank martsek
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

The Glu Hotel is in a great location and has spacious, comfortable and very clean rooms. The best part was the staff. Everyone was extremely pleasant and eager to be helpful. We highly recommend the hotel and would certainly stay there again if we return to Buenos Aires.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Our stay at the Glu in Palermo Soho was the first time I used Tripadvisor to choose a hotel. It will not be the last. I must admit to being a major hotel snob and typically stay at tried and true properties like the Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons. This is mainly because I am a worry wort and I don't want to worry when I'm on vacation. I simply presume I will get a high level of service at these types of venues.

So saying, I have to admit that I have NEVER received the high level of service I received at the Glu! The location, while great, was totally overshadowed by the staff and the level of care they provide to patrons of the hotel. Our "concierge" was Johanna and she took every opportunity to enhance our experience in Buenos Aires. Johanna was only the beginning, everyone we met at the Glu, including Patricia, Carolina, Maria, Aixa, Luciano, Fiorela and Guliano were unbelievably helpful. From Johanna taking us through maps of the city and consulting with us and making reservations at every place we went, to Aixa writing instructions in Spanish for the taxi driver, and then calling the restaurant to ensure they got us a reputable taxi on our return, the experience at the Glu was complete. Don't get me started on the cleanliness and beauty of our room - the Glu Suite.

I can't recommend this property enough -- especially for those travelers that want more than a "big-box" experience with a tremendous degree of service. As I shared upon our return from one of our many experiences, coming back to the Glu felt like coming home. Thank you for such a wonderful experience!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends