“The best!!!”

Bistro Sur
Ranked #263 of 5,117 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Puerto Madero
Description: Savor a meal worth remembering in one of Argentina's most spectacular settings. Bistro Sur's whimsical Philippe Starck décor will fascinate guests just as much as the delicate menu prepared by Faena's local chef, Rodrigo Vazquez. Modern techniques combined with Argentina's bests seasonal products, give birth to dishes like Beef Carpaccio with Bacon Milk, Mint and Potato Chips or Sweetbreads with Lemon Puree, Grilled Grapes and Pine Nuts.
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Fabulous food, fabulous wine, fabulous evening.!!!
All perfect.
This place knows how to do it right. Get the risotto, you'll leave happy.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Went expectantly for dinner last night. I had heard about their 5 or 8 course tasting menu and we were determined to try it out, especially as the 5 course paired with wines was reputed tobe 420 pesos, or about 40 US dollars. I even asked teh man on booking if we could reserve that option, and he put us down for it.

When we arrived, we were told that they had stopped doing th etasting menu 3 months ago, and it was only a la carte.

Oh well, we resigned ourselves to a fate worse than death, which turned out to be not so bad.

Up first was an amuse bouche of grape and goats cheese foam, which was interesting.

My starter of calamares was well presented, although some of the whirls of sauce on the plate had dried in completely and were un-scrapable. The ceviche of salmon also received a cautious thumbs up.

The beef for main course was tender and tasty, although the accompanying foam seemed redundant. The Sole was also nice, but probably too much.

I passed on dessert, taking a very tasty dessert wine instead.

The sommelier was particularly knowledgeable, and is well worth talking to.

All in all, the bill came to 2100 pesos, or about 200 US dollars. Expensive for Argentina but to be expected for teh fine dining that this holds itself out to be. The cost of my beef alone (400) was the same as we had paid for a three course meal and wine the night before.

We went into the hotel bar for a drink after, and the exorbitant prices continued there, don't bother.

1  Thank GregRDublin
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Once you step foot in the door one is amazed by the decor.
The staff is very friendly and speaks english.
Luc gave a good wine recommendation of a very limited Malbec produced ( which I had tasted at another restaurant) the food was visually and delectably amazing.

The only minus would be base/music from the bar next door which was competing with the music in the restaurant ( yes probably not a restaurant for the 65 and older)

Price wise is at the higher end of BA but prices are comparable to a nice meal in the US but the wines still cheaper than wines in the US.

The Faena hotel is modern and ultra-hip hotel... this may sound strange but check out their restrooms

2  Thank whatarelief
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Everything from the service level, to the wine list, to each dish was perfectly executed. Honestly, made a reservation. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This review is a long time coming. My visit to El Bistro was a while back, but I still think about it from time to time. I don't just think about how insanely cool this place looks and feels, I think about the specific tasting menu dishes I ate there. Sometimes I can even taste that borscht. Yes. This place made borscht better than you can possibly imagine...and sexy. We went with the tasting menu that allows the chef to decide what you'll get and it was phenomenal. Every bite was interesting. Every new dish was exciting. Even the bathrooms were cool. The service was incredible too. That painting all the way at the back was so unique that we asked the waitress about it and she told us all about the original that it was based on. The next day we quite accidentally bumped into it at the fine art museum. If we hadn't been informed, we would have missed out on that really unique experience. If I ever go back to Buenos Aires it's a guarantee that I will go back to El Bistro. Go there. Be adventurous. Try everything.

1  Thank cpha109