“Loved this place and the service”
Review of Elefante Rosa

and 1 more site!
Elefante Rosa
Reviewed 19 May 2011

The high quality attention to service certainly does start before you even get here. I asked if I could pay to be collected from the airport. Diego was there waiting for me when my flight arrived from Rio.

Immediately he provided me with all the essential local information I needed, and was happy to provide answers to any questions I had.

The building is full of character. Very nice place to stay for the price. It is a little out of the centre of Buenos Aires, but in my view this is a bonus. Public transport links are good. You have 2 Subte stations on different lines very close.

I stayed in the 6 bed dorm room, and on my first stay I had this room to myself. The second time I was sharing, but with a very nice bunch of people.

You are very close to a busy road and I would recommend bringing some earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Due to the age of the building it would be difficult to soundproof the windows. This would also destroy some of the character of the place.

If I was to return to Buenos Aires I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank thejournalist

Reviewed 6 May 2011

This B&B looks just like the pictures from the website--it is historic and charming in a rustic way--it has been restored, but the patina of age hasn't been removed. I just loved our room (room 1) with a vaulted sleeping area and bathroom. This place was not immaculately clean, but that was OK. Diego, the owner/host, was wonderfully friendly and helpful.

The neighborhood felt safe and had everything we needed. We had no problem finding our way around everywhere we wanted to go after Diego gave us an introduction to the area. Keep in mind though that if you stay here, you will spend time getting places. Buenos Aires is a HUGE city and most of the touristy attractions are a bus/Subte/cab ride away. For us this was not a problem as we enjoy taking public transport on vacation and when we wanted to get back quickly, cabs were really cheap and easy to find.

The reason this is a 3 star review and not a 4 or 5 star is because our room was so noisy that neither of us got more than a couple hours of sleep any of the 4 nights we were there. Even earplugs were not enough to block out the nonstop traffic (mostly buses) going by 24 hours a day. This may have been due to the particular room we stayed in, though all the rooms seemed to be on one side. Others haven't really commented on this, so we may just have been more sensitive to the noise than most other people. But at the end of the day, we only use our rooms on vacation to sleep, nap, and plan out our days, so if I can't sleep well, the room is a bust for me. We did talk to Diego and he has plans to try to soundproof the windows better--I know it is a challenge to do this and preserve the historic character of the building. I would also recommend that they add a rack of some sort to the shower and one in the bathroom because it was hard to find places to put our shampoo and toothbrushes and such.

For the price this place is a definite bargain. We would stay here again in a heartbeat if we knew the decibel level had been reduced.

1  Thank mullydad
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Stayed at Elefante Rosa for one night between flights. We had a private room which was modest but clean. Only complaint with the room was there was a fair amount of traffic noise. The shared bathroom was clean. Diego was a very gracious host and took the time to provide us with a map of the area and suggest some places to eat nearby.
We left very early the next morning and didn't get a chance to sample the breakfast. Diego got up very early to call us a taxi and see us out.

Overall, this place was excellent for the price and I would recommend it for those traveling on a budget.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

First of all the Elefante Rosa started providing service before we ever got to Buenos Aires & then gave us customized concierge service the whole time we were there. We arrived for the first time in South America speaking/understanding little of Porteno Spanish. Diego, whose family has owned the brick and iron building with the stunning stained glass skylight since the 1940's, refurbished this building with his brothers. He was our concierge. He actually gave us his cell phone number when we arrived "in case we ever needed it" and we were glad to have it and eventually we did use it. The breakfast is fresh media lunas and good BA coffee-- maybe the best I have ever had. The building is located in an actual neighborhood (unlike more commercial area catering blatantly to tourists) and we walked down San Juan to San Telmo the first night & found the MOST fabulous local restaurant with fabulous entrees and an unbelievably tiny kitchen where three cooks in backwards baseball caps were producing amazing dish after amazing fresh dish Sorry but between the jet lag & the language we forgot to get the name). Anyway Diego & his old world building exceeded our expectations in every regard. We were very comfortable and safe. Our room was a tiered loft with a spiral staircase & the bathroom was full, conveniently located off the bedroom & was compleely modern. We had a balcony to the street & our only drawback was the street noise which is unavoidable anywhere in BA. due to laws regarding mufflers & the prevalence of scooters/motorcycles. The other rooms without balconies are probably quieter. Very good value.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank susangaryteam
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Elefante Rosa is a small and very nice hostel in B.A. Not only is it a great place to stay, one of the managers, Diego, is a great source for various (tourist) information. The hostel is located near a metro station (about 5 minutes walk). We have been travelling for 5 months and this was one of the best hotels on our travel, definitely highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 4 (doube room) is very nice, ask for it.
1  Thank bloem17
Reviewed 2 April 2011

Stayed here for my first week in Buenos Aires and was impressed by the cleanliness and attention to detail! The two brothers that run the hostel are a mine of information about things to do and it's a perfect hostel for a solo traveler. It's near the subte and close to anything you need!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I initially arrived at this place in November 2010, planning to stay for a couple of days. Finally, I ended up staying more than 2 months – certainly because BA is a great city, but as well because of this place’s unique atmosphere and the huge hospitality of its owners.

Location:
The Elefante Rosa is located in the San Cristobal neighbourhood. On the one hand there is not much to see in this area, but on the other, you’ll experience a true BA neighbourhood without thousands of tourists and the related traps (overpriced tango shows, bad exchange rates, pick pocketing, etc.). Another asset: The place is located one block from two subway lines. A ride to the city centre only takes 15min, to Av. Corrientes or Plaza Once even less. There are direct bus connections to Recoleta and Plaza Italia, which made this place perfect for me. Nevertheless, no need to go far: within a few blocks you’ll find everything you need, e.g. supermarkets, bakery, heladeria (ice cream shop), 3-4 nice restaurants, some bars, laundry shop, hairdresser, pharmacy, copy shop, …

Rooms:
The hostel features just a handful of rooms. Four privates (two with private, two with shared bathroom) and one dormitory. I stayed in both a private and in the dormitory – and liked both. The privates are nice and the two with private bathroom also have A/C. The dormitory is very spacious and although it features six beds, on average only 2 people stayed in there during my time at Elefante Rosa.

Bathroom/Kitchen:
The bathrooms in the private rooms are very nice and tidy, and so are the shared bathrooms. Hot water is always available and water pressure is good. The kitchen is well equipped and features two fridges and a freezer, so massive storage space in case you want to cook your own meals.

Hostel in general:
To me, this hostel felt like home. Being so small (only 5 rooms), it’s a very personal place where everybody knows each other and where information and advice are exchanged. The two brothers running this place (Diego and Mauro) are trying extremely hard every day to make the most of their guests’ stay – and succeed! Seldom have I experience such motivated and helpful hostel owners, never could I say that I have become real friends with them. The atmosphere at Elefante Rosa is very relaxed, but it’s not a party place, so better go somewhere else if you want to make friends with a young party crowd. In case you want to meet nice people from all over the world and still enjoy a relaxed atmosphere though, Elefante Rosa is your place.

Extras:
The room rate includes breakfast which consists of delicious medialunas (croissants), dulce de leche, jam, butter, toast, cornflakes, fruits and coffee. The owners offer airport pick-ups and drop-offs at the same rate as a cab – very nice to have a personal pick-up when you arrive! As mentioned above, all the advice I received from the owners has been priceless to me. They took a lot of time to suggest nice neighbourhoods, tango places, good bars, restaurants, sights off the main tourist track etc. – very valuable!

Conclusion:
BA is a wonderful city and during my next visit (hopefully next year) I will definitely stay again at the Elefante Rosa – it couldn’t have been any better!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Inn2TheWild