“perfect place for exploring buenos aires”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Buenos Aires
El Jardin del Tango
Ranked #47 of 258 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We spent 4 nights at El Jardin, 3 in Casa Jasmin and 1 with the lovely Rachel herself (and her 2 beautiful cats) in Casa Rosa. From start to finish Rachel was just great and we cant thank her enough for her help with tango lessons, travel tips and places to visit in the city. Casa Jasmin has 2 rooms with a shared bathroom you can book but we decided to take over the apartment which obviously provides more privacy... the apartment would equally suit two couples or people travelling independently. In Casa Rosa Rachel has one of the 2 rooms and the other is where the guests stay... it is a shared bathroom but this was not a problem atall. The neighbourhood is a short walk from some of the major attractions in BA such as Recoleta and also the very trendy Palermo where we dined most days. That said BA is set out in such a way that El Jardin is well situated to access all parts of the city by bus, subway or, as we did, on foot. Rachel has the apartments well stocked with breakfast items and everything is just very easy when one stays here. The added attraction for us was that we felt part of the city staying in the apartments rather than in a faceless hotel. Rachel you are a true gem - thanks so much for everything. Dermot and Jane x

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dermot M

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed at Casa Jasmin for 9 nights. (It was supposed to be 7, but the volcano in Chile intervened.) The best way I can describe it is that I felt very comfortable and at home. It's a lovely place, well-appointed, with a serve-yourself breakfast. There's free wifi, and also a computer in case you haven't brought your own. The Casa is on the top (6th) floor, and on a side street, so it's quiet, especially the Lavendar Room. Best of all, though, is how helpful the proprietor (Rachel) was. She lives just around the corner (in her other Casa) and is pretty much always available, if you need anything. What I loved most was when, after my arrival, Rachel sat down with me, gave me a map of Buenos Aires and some other travel information, and proceeded to talk me through the map. And the living room is like the Buenos Aires travel section in a bookstore.

The location is excellent - a very safe neighborhood, a few blocks from various major subway and bus lines, and really within walking distance of many of the important spots.

In terms of the place, its location and price, it can't be beat. If I return to BA, this is where I'll stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We were greeted, upon our arrival, w/this comment, 'though we hail from the U.S. We took it in stride, having traveled a lot. We enjoyed the decor and our roomies from Holland. Also enjoyed the use of her laptop and the location...did NOT enjoy that the hostess overbooked, then came into our locked room when we were out to move us into a different room----surprise!

Room Tip: Book early? (hail from Europe)
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Lina005
JardinDelTango, Owner at El Jardin del Tango, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2011

When I first read this review the comments seemed so unlikely I thought someone must have put it in our review site by accident, having stayed somewhere else. However I have carefully checked and a couple from near Lacey, Washington did stay in late November 2010. Or, to be more precise, the couple stayed one night, and then the husband went home and the wife stayed on by herself for six nights (as had been previously arranged). They (and then she) had the Fantasia Room for all of those seven nights. No double bookings. No room changes. And in their file are a number of emails commenting on the comfortable bed, thanking me for arranging transport to the airport as each of them left, and thanking me for my helpful responses to their requests for recommendation of restaurants and places to visits.

When guests arrive I do point out a number of things about the building that tend to surprise guests from the US (and Canada and Australia), but with which guests from Europe are more familiar – the front door security systems in most Argentine buildings (which would be illegal in Anglo countries), the manually operated elevator doors, etc. In doing so, I do sometimes speak of the experiences and preferences OF Europeans vs North Americans. It is possible that this was misheard as a preference FOR guests from Europe vs North Americans. If this was the case and I caused my guests to feel insulted, I heartily apologise. My major preference is for HAPPY guests, of whatever national origin, and I expend a lot of thought and energy to make the stay of all guests as enjoyable as possible.

My Washington guests were on the last leg of their South American holiday. It is possible that, seven months later, their memory of experiences at two separate B&Bs have become confused. I cannot explain the discussion of moving rooms in any other way, as I have never moved a guest from one room to another in the way suggested in this review. Occasionally a guest may need to move rooms during their stay because I cannot accommodate them in one room for all of the time they want (due to prior bookings). In those cases they will know this before they make a firm booking. More rarely I have asked a guest with a firm booking if they would be willing to change rooms for logistics reasons – but in such cases they can refuse and, if they agree, they move their belongings themselves when the time arrives. If there is a tight timeframe for preparing a room for the next guest, I generally ask those checking out to put their own bags into the small ‘day stay’ room I make available (at no charge) for use until plane time. But once or twice a guest has packed up to leave, and been delayed shopping or sight seeing at the time when the room needs to be prepared for the next guest. In these rare cases I have moved their packed bags myself. It is possible that this is what these reviewers recall, although I have no recollection of that myself, seven months later.

I am glad that these guests remember that the casa is well provisioned, with a computer (and wifi, cell-phones, guidebooks, maps, etc) to make life easy for guests, and that the rooms are attractive and the casa very centrally placed for sight-seeing. As can be seen from all the other reviews, I sincerely do my best to make my guests' stay the happiest it can be.

Rachel

Reviewed 22 June 2011

It´s hard to add more superlatives--they´ve all been taken. Rachel was quick to answer emails and very helpful towards accommodating a friend and me just days before our trip began. She even showed us to the apartment when our plane was very late arriving (like 4 a.m. instead of 10 p.m. the previous night!).

I was frankly a bit taken aback by Casa Jasmin at first. It is an apartment situated on the top floor of a century-old building. Peeling paint and loose plaster, and a very old-fashioned toilet, made me wonder if I´d made the right choice. But Rachel´s genuine warmth and gracious hospitality quickly dispelled any doubts. While this location is not a B&B (you make your own breakfasts), the kitchen was very well-stocked with anything you might want--eggs, cheese, good bread, cereal, wine, condiments. It´s an easy walk to the subway station from Casa Jasmin.

Likewise, the bathroom with its enormous tub was also stocked with whatever you might need. I really appreciated the fact that guests each have a woven basket to keep their toiletries in; I hate toting my things back and forth when sharing a bathroom.

The bed--oh, the bed! I sank gratefully on the quality mattress under a real feather comforter and slept soundly every night. I loved sleeping with the French doors open to the cool night air.

There is free wi-fi and a computer for guests´ use, and Rachel even provides simple cell phones. She dropped by each day to see that we were comfortable and offer advice. She is a fascinating person and fun to talk to.

Rachel´s charm and that of the creaky cage-like elevator, the funky old building, and even the pull-chain toilet will bring me back for another stay in the future.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank azbuceadora
Reviewed 12 May 2011

El Jardin del Tango was our first stop in South America and I don't think we're going to get any better. Communication prior to arrival was great via email and Rachael was very accommodating of our split stay (1 night first up, then 2 nights later on). The house was clean and comfortable, the breakfast provided was great (everything available in the kitchen) and although a little outside the "tourist" areas (which i don't think is a bad thing), had very easy access to public transport. There was a little bit of street noise during the night, but I don't think you'll get away from that anywhere in BA. Best of all though, Rachael really went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and gave us great advise on what to see, do and how to get around. We're staying there again on our way out of South America and really look forward to it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2011

El Jardin Del Tango is a terrific place to stay. I highly recommend it. I came to Buenos Aires to dance tango and staying at this B&B was such a nice compliment to my visit. My room was clean and comfortable. The price was great. Rachel and her assistant Gricela were very helpful in providing advice as to what milongas to visit as well as other helpful information. While in Buenos Aires, I used a concierge service that Rachel suggested - Maria was great - very helpful and considerate - I even took Spanish lessons with her! Overall, a terrific experience!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I stayed in Casa Jasmin for a total of five nights and couldn't have asked for a better place. Rachel lives up to her reputation as a fantastic hostess. Casa Jasmin has two bedrooms rooms (with air conditioning), a living room, a third bedroom that really serves as the computer room during the summer, a bathroom, and kitchenette. There's a laptop and free Internet access for guests, which was so helpful. You are given more than ample provisions for breakfast: eggs, fruit, yogurt, cereals, bread, juice, milk, coffee, and tea. Rachel also provides recommendations for fresh pasta and other food you can prepare in the kitchenette, as well as great ideas for your stay in Buenos Aires. You are a short walk from two Subte (subway) lines, and the price is great.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo