“Great company, great food”
Review of Casa SaltShaker

Casa SaltShaker
Ranked #93 of 4,793 Restaurants in Buenos Aires
Price range: US$80 - US$80
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Recoleta
Description: Welcome to Casa SaltShaker. We offer a unique dining experience, sharing a table with other guests at our home in Barrio Norte. The setting is casual and the conversation lively. Our food is eclectic with a Mediterranean base. It's all about meeting new friends over good food and wine.Bienvenidos a Casa SaltShaker (Salero). Ofrecemos una experiencia gastronómica única, compartiendo una mesa con otros comensales en nuestra casa de Barrio Norte. El ambiente es informal y la conversación animada. Nuestra cocina es ecléctica con una base mediteránea. Se trata de conocer nuevos amigos y sobre todo de gustar buena comida y buen vino.
York, Pennsylvania
“Great company, great food”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This closed-door restaurant was great. From the beginning, when we made a reservation, we made it clear one of our party was gluten-free. The entire meal made for us was then gluten-free and she got a special bread and dessert. It was a great change of pace to dine with strangers and hear their stories. Great option for those traveling alone and wanting someone to chat with. You start off with a cocktail and then have several courses, each paired with a wine. You're eating in Dan and Henry's living room and Dan comes out and tells you about each thing you're eating or drinking. Lots of fun.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kate H

“Wonderful meal, great company”
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We discovered Casa Saltshaker when researching vegetarian options in Buenos Aires. Our host and chef, Dan, was wonderfully accommodating to the meatless request and throughout the five course meal we ate as well as the other guests that evening, with substitutions for meat and fish that were flavorful and inventive. The wine pairings throughout the meal were thoughtful and complemented each course.
The intimacy of the private dining restaurant was comfortable and relaxed. Travel (past, present, and future) dominated our conversation, along with talk of food and wine. All through the evening Dan was happy to share his thoughts and comments about where to eat and drink in BA.
I would recommend Casa Saltshaker to anyone looking for a memorable experience at a good price.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank G J W
“Beautiful home, incredible meal!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Definitely exactly what I was looking for in a puerta cerrada. We all shared a table, got a menu and were served a five-course meal with wine pairings - exactly what I wanted! Not many places have a shared table, and I thought this was the best touch. I also enjoyed Dan and Henry's beautiful home - the pictures don't do it justice! It was also nice to hear everyone's stories. From someone who's not much of a foodie, the food was delicious and the conversation even better. Would totally recommend it - incredible value as well.

• Visited June 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Caveat emptor”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

During a business trip to Buenos Aires my partner wanted to try a closed door restaurant and after searching Trip Advisor he came up Casa Saltshaker. I perused some of the reviews and I fault myself for not reading them more carefully because I think the true story comes out not by some by the reviews but more by the snappish responses for Dan.

Based on the reviews we thought food, wine and hospitality would be 4+ stars. Sure we understood that was going to “home cooking” but since when does home cooking mean pedestrian? No, I am not saying the food was inedible but I did not see anyone asking for seconds or recipes much less the recipe books Dan has for sale The food just was not very good. It would not have been good at $ 25 US but $75/per person? If you look at Casa Saltshakers web page, Dan exclaims, "If you're coming here expecting one of the top meals of your life, or in Buenos Aires, you're likely to be disappointed." We were not expecting a top meal but really I was not expecting it to be one of my worst meals either. I suppose if the wines had been yummy and the pours generous than at least we might have forgotten how mediocre the food was but sadly the wines were equally characterless.

Yes, we did enjoy meeting new people but Dan and his partner do nothing to help with introductions, Dan simply puts you in a room and you are on your own. Before you get the opportunity to talk to your dinner mates you are moved to the dining table told to sit down and eat. The food comes out with military precision and after desert is served it is time to go, reminds me a bit of the “Soup Nazi.”

Note: There are many, many fine restaurants and closed door restaurants but Casa Saltshaker is not one of them, do yourself a favor and invest your $150 more wisely than we did.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Bill J
saltshaker, Owner at Casa SaltShaker, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Obviously we're disappointed that you didn't enjoy yourself with us, and we're sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations, whatever they were. At the same time, while everything is personal perception, just as obviously we, and the vast majority of people who dine here, have a different experience. But, it is personal, and it's not for everyone - we have evenings where some people love everything about the experience and the food while the people sitting right next to them don't enjoy anything. That happens at any restaurant, it's the nature of the business.

As to the wines, since I don't know what night you were here I can't speak to which they were specifically, but as I've said in the past the occasional time it's come up, anyone who cares to look at the wines we serve, all listed on the weekly menus on our website, would likely disagree with your assessment. Though again, they may simply not have been to your tastes. And, on a typical night, if we have a full ten people at the table, we go through anywhere from 8-9 bottles of wine, so I'd venture that the pours are relatively generous.

I would, beyond that, address a few misrepresentations on your part. First off, while yes, you are "put in a room" with the other guests, it's not a jail cell, and it is open onto a patio and garden where people wander in and out. We're both right there - sure, we're back and forth to the kitchen and we don't individually introduce you to everyone in the room, but it's a social gathering, one would hope that you were able to say hello and introduce yourself without assistance - remember, we don't know who you are either, we're meeting you at the same time as everyone else is. It's also not limited to marching you off to the table immediately. We ask people to arrive at 8:45 and dinner is served at roughly 9:30, with a cocktail served during that time period. If, perhaps, you arrived late, then yes, it may be that you had a short time to mingle. During the meal it would be rare for people to ask for seconds in the midst of a five-course menu with portions that are not small, regardless of whether they loved the food or hated it - I doubt that happens in any other restaurant either. We don't have any recipe books on sale, so I have no idea what you're referring to. And at the end of the night, we don't ask people to go after dessert, we don't present the check until asked for, in fact, we offer coffee and tea, join in the conversation, and generally, people hang out for another hour to hour and a half after we've cleared the desserts. And finally, we don't charge us$75, we charge 550 pesos, everything included.

Honestly, while it's clear that something, whether the food or the interaction with us, wasn't to your liking, and we're sorry for that, it seems like you've embellished the tale just a tad for effect.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Super delicious and super experience”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Make sure you understand what a puerto cerada experience is, then go for it and totally enjoy it! Meet new and interesting people with whom you are sure to share many common interests; eat great food (5 courses worth), paired with great wine; and enjoy Dan's conversation, knowledge and humor along with Henry's warm hospitality. GO and expect a festive dinner party atmosphere, not a touristy steakhouse!

Visited May 2014