“Quiet and nice hotel”

Ranked #173 of 452 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Toronto
“Quiet and nice hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

A beautiful building (built in 1904) with very tall ceilings and doors. Large bed, spacious room. Friendly staff. Very close to subway station. Wifi is OK in the room but works better in the lobby area.

Good restaurants and shops close to the hotel. Very safe neighbourhood. Quiet A/C in the room. There is no safe or hair dryer in the room but they will bring them to your room if you ask.

You could have breakfast in the hotel, but there is a fantastic pastry shop / restaurant close by.

Room Tip: I assume rooms closer to the lobby have better wifi reception but all rooms seem to be spacious and...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bozmajeh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 10 nights during a vacation in Buenos Aires. We chose it because of the good reviews and the decent prices. We were very happy with this hotel. The hotel is very charming, it almost feels like a home away from home. The staff is excellent and the best thing with the hotel. They are very nice and helpful and they truly care about you. The rooms are nice, quite small but ok. TV with a good selection of channels, air conditioning, good shower. There are only two things that could improve. The Wi-Fi signal is quite weak in the rooms and we had to go out of the room to get a ok signal. We were not the only ones, the other guests had the same problem. The other thing is the breakfast. It is quite small and it's not self service, you must a ask the staff for food. It should be self service instead we think. But overall this is a very nice hotel in a nice location, takes only a few minutes to walk to the closest metro station and there are many shops and restaurants in the area.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank swedishtravellers
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

This place has every thing going for it, Charming, Clean, Safe, Friendly, English speaking advise on anything you may be looking for in a very helpful , it is in a very pleasant location, close to subway, the best safest way to get around Buenos Aires.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ErikaAustralia
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

I have stayed for the third time in the delightful “Hotel Boutique Racó” of Buenos Aires, and I wish I could give them 7 Stars, not 5. As before, the building, which belonged to the family of owners Julián and Vanessa, is a pleasant antique, elegantly modernized and the rooms are very clean, comfortable and with plenty of space for all the luggage and clothes. Vanessa is in charge of preparing the breakfast, and it is so good, so carefully presented that you end up dreaming of the next morning’s breakfast. The staff are also “totally helpful”, they all speak excellent English and they will advise you and guide you to any place you wish to go. Very important: they have selected an excellent company of “remises” (limo’s) that will take you totally safe to any place you wish to go.

To add to this unique hotel, they are excellently located in “Almagro”, a very nice neighborhood with subway and other transportation to any place in the city. Also I should add that there are many excellent restaurants very near.

For pizza I recommend two:

1) “La Vicca” in Juan Bautista Alberdi 365 [14 bloks from the hotel](TEL: 4903-0506 or 5355-6707 for deliveries): small place, very friendly and unique food, very reasonable.
2) “San Carlos” in Avenida Rivadavia 4548 (TEL: 4902-0324). It is only one subway station [Rio de Janeiro] from the hotel or if walking by Av. Hipólito Irigoyen only 7 blocks. Their innumerable pizzas are “to die for”!

For fine dining I also recommend two:

1) Restaurante Jacarandá, in Del Barco Centenera 383 [only one block and a half from Subway A, station Primera Junta](TEL: 4432-4994).
2) Restaurante El Solar De Don Fermin, in Beauchef 229 [2 blocks and a half from Station Acoyte](4902-4342 or 4139-4342 or 4139-4346) I recommend reservations for both restaurants and even the San Carlos Pizzería.

I travel a lot and I can assure you that for Buenos Aires this is the place to stay. {Dr. J.C. DE TATA, San Francisco, California}

Room Tip: There are, if my memory does not betray me, 16 or 17 rooms of all types, so I suggest you call them...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jcdt
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed a few days ago with my wife at Hotel Racó - it was a wonderful place. In a very calm area, quiet streets with the charm of a traditional Buenos Aires "barrio" - but just three blocks from the Castro Barros subway station. In the Racó you can find tasteful restoration of a house from the beginning of the 20th century, good rooms and a beautiful courtyard. True, breakfast is not great - but this is a problem all across Argentina. The owners and the people who work at the hotel were very helpful with information, tips about the city and providing beer and snacks in the hot afternoons. Of course, the hotel was spotless clean (I would never give more than two stars to a hotel missing this point). I would be very glad to have the chance to stay again in a place like Racó in another visit to Buenos Aires.

Room Tip: Our room was away from the street - no noise. Excellent.
Grand Bend, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at "the Raco" for 6 nights. We could not have been treated better at a 5 star... Thanks to Julian, the owner, and Natalie and Virginia on the front desk for helping us with everything. This 1904 charming old hotel is terrific and has been lovingly restored, renovated, and updated. It is away from the usual tourist areas, and we enjoyed it more because of that. It is an ordinary neighbourhood with regular people living and working. There is a beautiful old Basilica just a block away - all restored and gorgeous inside - with a carillon that sounds the hours during the day weekdays, and plays tunes on Sunday.

The neighbourhood is very safe to walk, and the Subte station is 2 1/2 blocks away. We used the Subte for almost everywhere we wanted to go, and the price was 3.50 pesos one way. Cheap!
We had the first room on the main floor. It was very convenient and had no stairs to climb. The room was large enough, with a comfortable queen bed, desk and 2 chairs, 2 bedside tables and lots of shelves. There even was a luggage rack. We had been on a long trip and had 4 suitcases and lots of stuff, but there was plenty of room for everything. Julian brought us a safe into the room for our money and valuables. Safes are not in the room ordinarily, so we had to ask for one. It was quite hot when we were in Buenos Aires with temperatures during the day rising to 30 C, but the air-conditioning unit worked very well and we were comfortable. Also with the A/C running the room was not damp at all.

Unfortunately, the bathroom was a bit small with only a tiny 3" glass shelf under the mirror which was not secured well and leaned forward, so it was impossible to put anything on it without sliding off. There were no other shelves. The toilet top was not flat either, so there was no place to put our toiletries. Oddly there was also a bidet, which took up space that could have been used for something else. But oh well.... we managed.

The shower had no curtain just a Plexiglas partition for about 2' at one end,, so it was impossible to shower without water getting all over the bathroom. There was one hook but it was in the shower stall so we couldn't leave our towels there. No other hooks or shelves were in the bathroom. . And the cleaning lady gave us 2 fresh bath towels, 1 small towel and a bathmat daily - we needed them to replace our wet ones.

The rooms on the upper level looked somewhat larger and had bigger bathrooms, but had the same silly arrangement with no curtain for the shower. However, we managed just fine once we learned NOT to turn the water in the shower on full - just to have a little bit flowing, enough to get our body wet. This reduced the amount of water splashing out into the bathroom and all over the floor somewhat.

We had prepaid the room including the breakfast by Paypal so as to not have to carry mega bucks in $US on our long trip. (As you will discover every hotel and B&B in Argentina requires payment in $US, because their peso is in freefall and who knows what it will be worth next week!)

The included breakfast was juice, yogurt and fruit, toast or bread, butter and jam, and tea or coffee. My husband was told that it was 20 pesos more if he wanted eggs, but he always likes eggs so he ordered scrambled eggs daily. We were also offered a ham and cheese sandwich, but I tried it and didn't care for it. However, the yogurt was great, and some days I ate 2 small containers. Breakfast was served at small tables for 2 in the courtyard.

Others have mentioned Las Violettas restaurant - we were there twice. It was packed with families on Sunday so we had to wait a bit for a table. Sat and Sun they offer their special platters with sandwiches and cakes. Weekdays it is quieter and no problem to get a table.They also have a bakery shop attached where you can buy treats to take away. But we discovered that across from the Basilica around the corner is Don Bosco restaurant - just a local eatery and nothing fancy, but their pizzas are wonderful. We were there twice, and once we ordered in from them also.

Part way through our stay in BsAs we were downtown not far from the Cathedral when I was splattered all over my head, my clothes and my purse with pigeon poop by 2 women who were standing in the street. They were pickpockets. This is a common occurrence in BsAs - by this means of distraction they try to get at tourists' money by rushing over and pretending to help by brushing off the muck. Having been warned about this practice, I knew enough to step away from them quickly, and even though I could barely see through all the splatter on my glasses, I threatened to hit them with my cane! They ran away when my husband came closer. However, I didn't lose anything. We however had to return to the hotel so I could shower and change. This wasted a morning when we could have been sight seeing, and I was very angry about that.

But the hotel washed my clothes and didn't charge us, when I told them what had happened. And into the bargain, I received a nice glass of wine free, and they didn't charge for the eggs that my husband ate when we went to check out.

In conclusion, we would definitely stay here again. Yes, it is a bit farther out, but everything is accessible by Subte, and you will be hard pressed to find a staff more kind and accommodating.

2 Thank OD
eastbourne uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

This lovely hotel is in a quiet, very pleasant suburb some way from the city centre. However, there is a metro station two blocks away, and the metro is quick, clean, safe and cheap. Next to the metro is a wonderful café called Violeta, ideal for breakfast, tea or early dinner.
Rooms in the Raco are stylish, large (by European hotel standards) and well appointed. The hotel is really quiet at night, and the beds very comfortable.
The staff are excellent, always interested in your plans, and how your day has gone, and prepared to put themselves out for you. We really enjoyed our stay there.