“unparalel”

Ranked #173 of 446 Hotels in Buenos Aires
New York City, New York
“unparalel”
Reviewed 6 March 2010

My husband and I spent our honeymoon over new years eve in Buenos Aires. We spent 11 days at RACO. We have stayed at the best hotels in the world and Raco has been one of the best in every aspect. The place is beatiful, serene, immaculate ,quiet, romantic, modern, close to public transortation ; but what made it really special was the personalized attention to every detail by the owners Julian and Vanessa and all the staff. We became friends with them and would always comeback to Raco everytime we will visit Buenos Aires. Nice breakfast verymorning in their beautiful courtyard was one of the highlights of the trip as well as our time spent conversing with Julian and Vanessa.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 5 March 2010

As a family of three, we had two rooms on the main floor (thoughtfully placed in adjacent rooms) at the Raco for four nights in early February. We caught a taxi from the airport and were slightly apprehensive when it pulled up to the address we gave it and there was no signage outside and the front door was locked. Fortunately, our taxi driver knew the hotel and rang the bell for us. Quickly the door was opened and we were warmly welcomed. Our apprehension was for nothing - apparently minimal or lack of signage is quite common in BA and the Raco’s front door is always locked and opened by the receptionist 24 hours a day: lesson learnt. The rooms were quite small but immaculate and everything that we needed was either in the room or provided on request (hairdryer). The extra high ceilings make it feel more spacious than it is and the doors are also very high with glass and the upper blinds can be left open to let more light into the room while maintaining total privacy and giving an upper view into the courtyard. For those travelling without a computer (yes, there is wifi) rather than have an old computer for guest use, they lend you a laptop, which you take to your room to use and then return when you are finished: nice touch. Air conditioning is very quick and effective something that we appreciated on the muggy days while we were there. On the first evening we were handed an umbrella in case the rains came as we were heading out the door. Breakfast is a substantial continental breakfast, which was more than adequate for our needs.

The magic really comes from the staff. They are friendly, open and always seem interested in what you plan to do and feedback on what you have done; providing suggestions to make your stay more enjoyable. As it was our first visit to Argentina, we were keen to try a parrilla and had a recommendation. When we asked where the restaurant was, they provided the address and checked reviews on the internet. Then, we were gently asked as to whether we were certain we wanted to go there as the reviews were not at all favourable and that it was a large, tourist oriented restaurant. After we confirmed that we were after a more local experience, they recommended a local parrilla, Lo de Rosendo. Then, they took the time to find out what cuts of meat that we preferred and wrote them down in Spanish along with the way we preferred them to be cooked. ( We ended up having two brilliant dinners there, and found that it was truly filled with locals. Excellent food and wine, lovely ambience and a very reasonable bill). When we needed a taxi, they not only ordered it but also told us what the maximum fare should be. Tip: where possible have the hotel prebook taxis for important travel as it is very difficult to obtain a taxi if it is raining.

As to the location, we found it perfect. It was on a quiet street. Taxis were cheap and plentiful. It was a two block walk to the nearest Subte (underground) and a $.30 fare and 10 minutes saw you in Plaza de Mayo. A leisurely walk to Plaza de Mayo took about an hour, including some browsing into shops and restaurants. There is no issue with security as the front door is locked and the receptionist goes to open the door when the bell is rung. There were enough varied and good restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel and staff recommendations were excellent.

We rate this hotel as excellent for a more intimate stay in BA and outstanding value for money. On our next visit we will definitely return here.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2010

I travel a lot. In fact I had been travelling for 6 months prior to my stay at "Roco" I am a photojournalist and have stayed in every concevible kind of hotel/B&B/hostel/tent etc. I am not very tolerant of places where I feel like "just another one night or more stand"

I found the staff to be competent, friendly, and helpfull beyond expectations.

The facilities were a bit quirky but then that is why one goes to a hotel that is not a cookie cutter image of some impersonal hotel chain.
the location was very convenient as it was near the subway/underground/metro and there were good restaurants nearby.

They provided an excellent breakfast.

I was welcomed back (no charge) when I needed to lay over for the day, in between night time bus trips.

The desk staff speak really excellent English and from the sound of it several other lanuages as well. Not all that common in Argentina.

I can say unequivocably that this would be the first hotel I would book on my return to BA

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We just got back from our first trip to Buenos Aires and our stay at Raco de Buenos Aires. That being said we could absolutely not be any happier with out experience there. The hotel is absolutely beautiful, from the old world architecture to the modern appoitments and styling it is a very warm, inviting place. What sets Raco apart from our experiences in other hotels and trips however was the service. The people that work at this fantastic hotel are among the warmest and most helpful we have ever met. They truly take pleasure in helping out their customers, whether it be a recommendation for dinner, where you should go siteseeing that particular day or maybe a beer or two after you get back from that long day of sightseeing. Along with all this was the price, especially when your coming from New York, the overpriced hotel capital of the world. The price for what you get can absolutely not be beat. Lastly what is nice is the fact that it is in a real neighborhood, not far from the very cool and inexpensive subway. It was nice to get to stay in a different part of the city then say a hotel along Avenida 9 de Julio. We would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone, especially those who don't want a "Holiday Inn" feel. It is a unique experience to stay there and if we return to Buenos Aires some day we will absolutely go back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Dorset
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Having spent 96 days 'backpacking' through much of South America I was in need of some creature comforts and rest. During my trip I used a variety of hotels, but none reached the all round high standards I found at Hotel Boutique Raco de Buenos Aires. Meeting friends who had already booked at this hotel I considered the price outside of my budget, but despite that I was made comfortable during my wait, made coffee and generally cared for. This kind consideration, coupled with a short tour of the room my mind was quickly changed resulting in probably the best decision I made all trip. I've often considered some of these 'advisory sites' to be contrived, but should anyone be considering staying at the Raco, I'd invite them to contact me personally via my Blog.
Yours aye Captain Paul F Baker MN (better known as Bagsy)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Herzlia, Israel
Reviewed 27 February 2010

We stayed for 5 nights.This was a wonderfuul B&B.The owners were very welcoming,friendly and helphul.

Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We stayed here three times, at the start, middle and end of a trip to Argentina. The thing that struck me most was the wonderfully helpful staff. They could not go far enough to sort out my requests. Confirming air tickets and printing out boarding cards. Phoning other hotels about bookings. Recommending restaurants. Loaning a laptop for me to clear emails. They booked me a taxi from the International Airport, and that made arrival a lot easier. Etc

The Raco describes itself as a boutique hotel, it would probably be fairer, in European terms, to call it an up-market B&B as it does not have a dining facility in the evening.

The rooms are arranged round an internal patio, reached by a walkway. This means that most of the rooms open directly onto the walkway and do not have any other windows. The exceptions are the two front rooms, which have balconys. We stayed in 3 different types of room, and I would recommend you pay the extra for one of the front rooms with balcony.

The hotel is not in a "prime" neighbourhood (I learnt to judge BA by the quality of the paving in the area), but you can get around fairly easily by Subte (flat fare of about 30 US cents gets you anywhere) or taxi which are also cheap

Choice of restaurants in easy walking distance is limited, but there are 2 or 3 recommended ones, which are probably sufficient for most people. We enjoyed the Mirasol and Violettas Cafe (an Art Deco extravaganza)

Breakfast, I am afraid needs some attention. We had what was offered the first morning, but the Orange Juice was not fresh, the fruit salad was not fresh, and the coffee had been brewed to long beforehand. After that we stuck to simpler fare from what was on offer!

The only other tip I would offer guests arriving here is to come with a full address, with both street and number. In common with many small hotels in Argentina, Raco has no signs outside to indicate that it is a hotel, and the taxi driver will have no idea

Overall a hotel to be recommended, and I believe that you would enjoy staying here.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple