“Lives up to the boutique name”

Mansion Vitraux Boutique Hotel
Ranked #66 of 444 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Had a fantastic stay at the Mansion. Located just a few blocks from San Telmo Square where the famous antique market is held every weekend. The lobby is welcoming and comfortable. The main entrance is locked and must be opened by the front desk person which is very nice to have in the less upscale neighborhood of San Telmo.
The room was innovative and modern, very clean in design. All rooms are decorated differently. In the room, one window opened to the fountain along the back wall- it was great to fall asleep to the sound of the rushing water. The rooftop pool/lounger area had fantastic views. Did have internet difficulties, staff apologized and called for someone who had expertise with the router. Breakfast was very good and much more varied than the usual Argentine breakfast.
All in all, a great place to stay in San Telmo. Wish I had stayed here the entire time I was in BA!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 May 2013

My beautiful room is so cosy and welcoming - it's perfect for someone travelling alone as there's only just enough room for one person. Its shabby chic decor is beautiful but on closer inspection, is maybe more shabby than chic. There are no outside windows so I need to keep my blinds shut as they look out to the hotel's communal areas. My room is right by reception so I can hear staff talking and guests coming and going. The bathroom is tiny with no surfaces to put anything. Room service is limited and there is no water provided in the room. The spa and roof terrace are a definite overclaim on the website so don’t make those a basis for your booking. There are nice touches like the robe on your bed at night and a couple of biscuits. Guadalupe on reception is fantastic but overall, I probably wouldn’t recommend this hotel unless you need a bed for a night and no more.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room on the next floor to the ground as you'll be right next to rece...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Travel Period: Over Easter 2013, 3 nights

Stayed 3 nights in this Hotel. We had the Glam Category Room.
The 1st room was 102. Our Windows are facing the Corridor.. yeahh there no Windows facing outside.. i felt trapped and the other room in the same Category was as much disappointing. We try for a night and I just cant take it. And we can hear drainage water from Above.... thats disturbing..

The second day we manage to get another room. Was moved to 206. BIgger windows and we are at the TOP FLOOR. So no drainage water. We travel with 2 Cargo bags and 2 cabin bags.
We can hardly find Space in this Hotel. I dun have space to put my toileteries in the Washroom. Thera are no SPACE. Yes the design was great, but i wish they choose a practical design.

I guess to stay for a night, for 1person with 1 cabin bag, this hotel will be Great.

I didnt see the Suite... so i cant say anything about those rooms.

Breakfast:
Was setup at high Table. As the numbers of rooms are small everything was ala Carte. Service Staff was friendly.
Coffee was not right. Im not sure what kidn of coffee was that, but i wish they could just offer us the Nespresso Coffee also for breakfast, as what they had during the day at the Wine Lounge. Breakfast Selections are very limited. At least thats how i feel. Im not a big eater but it could be better.

Gym Was SMALL.
Unfortunately during my stay it was raining, so we didnt try the Rooftop swimming pool.

Location: San Telmo. Great Location for tourist.
Museums, Antique stores, great restaurants. Not too close to Subway (Subte)

STAFF: are friendly and accommodative.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I enjoyed my fortnight here in the San Telmo area, but this hotel is not for everybody. It is small, only has 12 rooms and there are at least two staff on duty 24/7. It's locked at all times and you have to get the staff to buzz you in. I had to wait for a few minutes only once. The staff are very friendly and helpful, especially Gisella and Guadalupe on reception and Jesica on breakfast duty. Electrotango music plays in the public areas most of the time. I chose the hotel because it was close to the venue of a tango festival I was attending and I could get there easily on foot.

The rooms are built on 3 floors and face into the central atrium, so, noise can be a problem. Breakfast is at a long marble table in the basement, which is open to the atrium, so I could see it from my room. I could often hear staff setting up for breakfast and I could also hear the front door buzzer and sometimes, staff talking loudly in reception. After a few days, it stopped bothering me and I got used to it.

Having no windows to the outside, rooms tend to be a bit dark. Plus, as the windows face into the atrium, I kept the blinds closed, as I felt a little self conscious, especially as I had to stand next to the full length bathroom window to take a shower. Rooms are stylishly decorated, the bed is comfortable and bathroom efficient, though it took me nearly a week to work out how to balance the water temperature. There's plenty of wardrobe space and they provided fresh fruit and bottled water daily. The airconditioner was efficient. Annoyingly, there was no fridge or iron in the room and the hotel couldn't end me an iron. Due to the tango festival, I went through a lot of clothing, so not having an iron was a bit inconvenient and they charged US$20 to clean and iron a shirt. Fortunately, there's a cheap laundry service in the next street. There's free wifi. The telephone and internet connection for my mobile phone often dropped out, which was annoying and inconvenient, especially as I was relying on both to make local arrangements, but the phone connection was fine in the street.

Breakfast was plentiful with a good range of choices, prepared to your order, so there were none of those awful bain marie hotel eggs. Jesica noticed that I avoided bread, so I explained that I often reacted badly to wheat flour. She kindly made sure there were rice cakes available for the rest of my stay. She was quietly efficient and so was her replacement when Jesica wasn't there. Housekeeping was excellent.

The rooftop lap pool was picturesque, with rooftop views, but was too cold for my liking. The spa in the basement was a treat. It wasn't a bubbling spa, but just like a very warm indoor pool, which I prefer. It was large and decorated by lights which changed the water colour. The tango played in the background. Due to the small number of rooms, I never had to share it. Coming back from dancing at the festival, it was wonderful for tired feet and aching muscles and helped me get off to sleep. There is a small gym and a sauna on the same level.

There's a great parilla/cafe next door, lots of cafes, bars and shops in the nearby streets and a cambio nearby. It's a block away from the famous Plaza Dorrego Sunday antique fair which is great fun, but full of pickpockets. My friend caught a pleasant looking little middle aged man rifling through her handbag as we were trying to push through the crowds.

Bear in mind that San Telmo is not for everybody. The streets and sidewalks can be perilous as they are in poor repair and more than once, I stumbled on loose or broken paving, cobbles or piles of rubble which stayed there for days. A friend took an alarming fall in the street. There was a huge bin on most street corners, often overflowing and smelly and due to widespread poverty, people rummaged through them for food or salvage materials. Residences are usually small, so teenagers and young men often sit in groups, in the street or in doorways, which can be unsettling late at night, as a lone pedestrian, though I was never menaced by anyone. Grafitti and grime are everywhere and many of the buildings are in poor condition. People often declare that San Telmo is the "real Buenos Aires," but I'm not convinced that you need so much dirt and decay to have a genuine experience of a town. Although I enjoyed my two weeks here, I was quite happy to move to trendy, clean, upmarket Recoleta for my last few days, which I found refreshing. I really enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JohnJohnG
Reviewed 30 March 2013

we stayed two nights in feb 2013 pre cruise ,please note this hotel will not suit all travellers as this is a small botique hotel with 12 rooms , the room was large and modern in some ways dark and with no view which they all seem to be ,there are two pools one on the roof and one on the lower ground floor,the hotel is in the san telmo area with plenty of bars ect closeby the area to me was safe to walk and we had no problems , a little hard to find so bring the map with you,food in the morning was of a very high standard ,bar not really open and not required,we stayed two nights pre cruise and the hotel offered to mind our cases on our return as we had 12 hours before departure what a jem this was, as there are very few places to leave bags in buenos aires ,well done to all. rgds alan

Room Tip: sometimes small is best
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alzo
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The lady that takes breakfast orders remembered my choice, which wasn't in the menu, and made sure that I receive it during the whole stay.

What made this place great for me is the service. It has at least two times the number of employees you can expect from a small hotel, including 24h reception that keeps the door secure.

The only problem I had was with the smell in my room on day one. I opened the windows and it disappeared in a few hours. Could be because they keep the doors to the bathrooms open for some reason, which leads to moisture in the rooms. I think it wasn't just in my room, but not sure.

Room Tip: Try the pool in the cellar and keep the windows open.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dzver
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Mansion Vitraux was the second hotel my wife and stayed at in BA. Our first hotel cost a third as much and was much more genuine. I feel like Mansion Vitraux very much wants to be a luxury hotel. They're located in a trendy, touristy area, so they feel okay charging luxury hotel prices. However, there were a lot of little things that irked me about this place.

The odd room layout that makes you keep your blinds shut all the time, lest every other guest see right into your bedroom. The shoddy construction of the walls and ceilings. The non-functioning bathroom fixtures. Large amounts of mold on the walls and mushrooms growing in the bathroom.

There are some positives...great breakfast, dulce de leche cookies left by the cleaning staff, rooftop pool, convenience to San Telmo market....but overall, still only three stars.

For what they charge, I would have expected a lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the street.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple