“Great Location”
Review of Hotel Bolivar

Hotel Bolivar
Ranked #384 of 444 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We love this part of Buenos Aire-s, simple but clean hotel and very near plaza dorego with it's bars and artists. Staff very friendly they let us shower and stay until 5pm (7 hours after check out) while we waited for our flight.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room and bathroom first as not all rooms are the same.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emily P

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Staying at Hotel Bolivar was just great!
I couldn't believe how helpful and friendly and organized people here were. Excellent English is spoken. The rooms are a bit bleak but it's around 16 Euros for a single room, plus I had a wonderful roof terrace coming with it. The room was to the back, and falling asleep was easy.
I had a couple of transfers arranged by the hotel and they worked absolutely perfectly, I never even had to wait for a minute - fast, efficient, reliable, for a good price, no scams, no haggling.
Having arrived and settled in, someone from the staff personally showed me to the restaurants he recommended (about 50 meters from the hotel is the cutest quick-eat where good English is spoken, too); then there was a problem with my flight ticket, somebody else from the staff solved that problem easily.
The hotel is conveniently located, in San Telmo, Internet cafe next door (literally), a farmacy around the corner, lots of restaurants and quick-eats. The hotel has its own bar, with huge, inexpensive beers.
I would stay again without thinking twice. It's a nice hotel with a great atmosphere, and the kindness and helpfulness of its staff makes it so very special.

Room Tip: Room number 40, 2nd floor, adjoining roof terrace
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Dan831984
Reviewed 21 April 2014

STAY AWAY! It's not a hotel it's a hostel with shared bathrooms, that are not very clean, other facilities also not in very good shape. Despite fair location the "hotel" have serious problems with electricity, so if you come back after walk around BA - and they will give you a candle, don't be surprised, also they will not give you the towels because... oops, the dryer is not working for the same reason. It's not an accident - they were prepared because they do have prepared lanterns in every floor. We had very negative experience with this "hotel".

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vladimir C
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I loved the charm of this hostel inside. The door to the room is huge, old classic design. The floor is aged wood and the ceiling was 20 feet high. I thought I got a super deal since I could easily access puerto madero, San Telmo market and buses/subway easily on foot. The staff arranged a bike tour through Tangol and a sunday afternoon boca juniors soccer game at Bombanera. Ramiro was a fantastic host throughout my 6 day stay and all the staff was always friendly and helpful.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Austinflyr
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Located in the centre of San Telmo it didnt matter that this hotel was basic as we knew we would be out for food and drinks. Close to some great restaurants even being so central it was quiet. The hotel is manned 24hours and reception needs to open the main door for you so security was great. Service was helpful and friendly (although we speak Spanish so I dont know how valid this is if you dont know the language).

We stayed in a twin room with no outside windows. However, the room was large so the lack of windows wasnt really an issue as it wasnt stuffy and we were out most of the time. The private shower is again basic but good water pressure.

I would recommend staying here, saving the extra money for steak, red wine and tango!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank GLMurray
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This hotel has the type of accommodations I seek; it is exceptionally well located, and I just had to pay for a bed and a private bath, not for TV or other distractions that would keep me from wondering through such an interesting city. The hotel has a nice room facing the street where one can have meals; there is a kitchen, but there is little need to cook with so many options within walking distance. El Banco Rojo in the next block sells gyros, and about three blocks away Antonino sells prepared seafood by weight and other delicacies to go. The San Telmo Market and several convenience stores are also a few steps away. There are plenty of restaurants around and if you want to watch tango dancers while you have dinner, Plaza Dorrego is three blocks away. There is WIFI in the hotel, but I do not carry a computer, so when I needed one I went to the business next door that offers computer or telephone use for a small fee. I only had to walk three blocks to do my laundry. The San Telmo Stop for the Bus Turistico is also three blocks away. Sunday, the day of the San Telmo Fair was when I was especially glad I stayed there because it was so convenient to shop, go drop my purchases to the room, and return to the fair to take pictures and eat. The staff is friendly and the door stays locked; one must ring the bell. Someone was always at the desk during the week I stayed there. I felt comfortable asking the person at the desk for directions and even for suggestions to buy CDs. The room was not cleaned every day and the towels are thin, but I can always carry a towel, and I do not stay in the room long enough to mess it up.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank PazEADora
Reviewed 8 November 2012

after going to an awfull hotel i found Hotel Abolivar to be classic and nice, great attention and spacious bedrooms. For $37 a night a double room with private bathroom. The location is the best, just 3 blocks from a plaza with live music, restaurants, bistros. All the neighbourhood is pleasant and shops are everywhere, specially antique stores. Creativity all around with craftmans selling creations for good prices. The bathroom is not separated toilet from shower so may be a bit aventurous for few.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business