“Great price with a POOL!!!!”

Circus Hostel & Hotel
Ranked #48 of 442 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I have stayed here a few times. The staff are great, the food is awesome, the air-conditioning is just right and the pool really helps to beat the summer heat. the living room with a nice big t.v. and internet is very comfortable and the beds are really comfy and have nice white linen. Careful though, remember it is still a hostel. You will hear some of the noise and the guests are younger and stay up later, but you can't beat it for the price. Great restaurants and pubs nearby too if you want to get out.......Hopefully they can maintain their customer service level....

Room Tip: Pay the few dollars extra for the private room if you are a couple.........
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,510)

Reviewed 13 April 2012

As most travellers have noted, this isn't the place to stay if you want five star or even three star comforts. This is a hostel at the end of the day.

The facilities they have means they can very easily convert it to a three star hotel with not much further investment, but they prefer to run it as a hostel. As a consequence the customer service and the atmosphere can leave a bit to be desired at the time, but for the price we paid for a double room with en-suite and breakfast, we don't have any real complaints.

Plus the location is very good and quite central in San Telmo.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Noisy unclean hostel. I was overcharged by the rude reception staff and then they refused to refund the difference. When i challanged the bill (once they had billed my credit card)They claimed some other people we had been hanging out with in the hostel hadn't paid their bill and we had to pay it because we had been associating with them. A ridiculous situation, why didn't they make us pay for everyone in the entire hostel because we had been in the same city as them? Totally unacceptable in my opinion. The manager on duty fufused to engage with our compliant and ignored us. I'm sorry but it was outright theft. The Only reason we let them get away with such a rip off was because we had to make an international flight.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kaituna
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I went here based on reviews on Tripadvisor for reasonable price hotel in San Telmo. I was a bit disappointed I had to sit around for nearly 3 hours, till after 3 pm, to check in, but maybe this is normal? No TV or phone in the room, which was small. And noisy, yo ucan hear the next rooms quite easily. Very clean though, and the staff were friendly and helpful. I think there must be somewhere else better for USD70 (for Saturday, normally USD60), but maybe this is the best you can get in BA for that price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank KelvinPassfield
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This place is great. There is a pool, a pool table and a bar. Staff during my week-long stay was great (although those staff members were temporal). It's located in San Telmo, a place were not many other hostels are located. However, it's a great area to explore. Non touristic, many wine bars and restaurants on almost every corner. 10 min walk from Puente de la Mujer.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The Circus is a fitting name for this hotel. My friends and I entered to a clean and friendly hotel when we arrived with completely competent desk staff. By that night, though, my friends and I found ourselves faced with an incompetent and unhelpful desk staff member.

At breakfast we found ourselves facing dirty tables that took what felt like a lifetime to clean and a counter full of bread products. The minute anything slightly healthy was placed on the counter- think oranges or bananas- other guests swooped down like hungry pigeons and the food was gone within seconds.

The most frustrating part of the stay was, again, in two parts. We had left our towels in the shower in the morning, as requested by the hotel, in order to have clean towels placed in the room. We returned to a clean room and the same dirty towels lying exactly where we had left them in the shower. When we informed the front desk we received a shoulder shrug as our answer to getting new towels. Thankfully I have a pretty adamant friend wouldn't take a shoulder shrug as an answer and she got new towels for us.

The final morning, when a taxi was picking us up at 7:30, found us scrounging around in our pockets for every lose centamo we had. The credit card machine had "broken" the night before (questionable since my adamant friend had seen someone using it that night) and we suddenly had to pay in cash. They refused to write down our credit card information or do an old-school swipe of it and charge us later. We had to pay full in cash as our cab waited for us to take us to the airport. Thank goodness I had taken money out of the bank machine the previous day. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to pay my bill and lend my friend money.

Would I stay at the Circus again? No, it's not worth the frustration, poor service, dirty towels, or plate of bread for breakfast. San Telmo's great, but the Circus isn't.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank DTWKW
Reviewed 1 March 2012

highly recommend this place. We are a middle aged couple and stayed only for 1 night but we liked it a lot as well as the location. Clean, reasonably priced, good breakfast, good shower and a/c.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple