“Great Show”

Buenos Aires Super Saver: City Sightseeing Tour and Tango Dinner Show
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and i were there Friday, 2013-Dec-13. I had booked this evening well in advance (directly from their website) and we were not going to "count the pennies" - so had the full VIP package with "table for 2" and did not have to share with other people our table. Most people seemed tourists, just like us.
The show was excellent, the food was not great. I can't believe there are people who rated the steak "the best steak you'll ever get", maybe if you are from parts of the world where you don't get decent beef but coming from Canada (and/or US) the Argentine meat leaves a lot to be desired.
The service was also not great - having white wine with our seafood starters - and then switching to red wine with our main course caused endless delays and confusion.
My sincere advice : buy (good) tickets for the show and skip the food completely, order one drink and pay it immediately.
Because of the VIP package we got a Tango lesson before the show which was fun.

2  Thank romana_0120
There are newer reviews for Tango Porteno

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The previous night we had attended a tango show at a well know hotel and my wife suggested she would like to see another one and we fell upon Tango Porteno being within easy walking distance of our accommodation. We only went for the show and sat upstairs looking over / through the glass and metal safety barriers. While the orchestra were above these barriers I often found myself looking through round and over the barriers to watch the dancers. The show lasts about an hour and as a previous writer has stated, if you don't understand Spanish it is difficult to follow the story. Had we also made the dinner as well it may have been a different experience but would not return just for the show.

2  Thank ichibanwanderer
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Although we got our tickets through very questionable means (thanks a lot G!...lol) we had such a great time. We had no idea the wine and food were included with the ticket! That was a pleasant surprise and their empanadas were great although I will have to say that I was an empanada eating fool on this trip. I got one at every corner!
The tango show was ok, I got a bit bored for about 15 minutes and fell asleep, or it could have been the wine bottles we drank. Our poor server, he decided just to leave the bottles with us because he was having to refill often ;-)
Also unless they reserved a table for you at the front just know that this is communal seating, fancy communal seating, but communal seating non the less. And although there were some people with jeans on the atmosphere calls for a bit of swanky dressing.
Now I wish I had gotten a copy of the pictures we took with the tango dancers.

1  Thank soldiergirl1001
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Our tour guide chose Tango Poteno for the obligatory tango show and dinner. We had good seats down front. The meal and service were quite good. Despite being thoroughly exhausted having gone directly from our red eye flight into the tour of Buenos Airees, we all enjoyed the show. We were impressed with the way they had converted this old movie theater to a dinner theater. I liked the way they inserted old movie clips between acts. I also liked the way they presented various "moods" of tango - flirty, seductive, sexy, comical. I readily admit I know nothing of the techniques of tango but I found all of it really entertaining. I liked the way they would feature the small orchestra. My only regret is that not understanding Spanish, I was unable to understand the story the singers were telling.

3  Thank TravlinJackVA
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Tango Porteno was recommended and walking distance from our bed and breakfast. We elected the cheaper seats with dinner. The dinner was excellent and our waiter attentive. He never failed to keep our wine glasses full, even after dinner. The tango show was excellent. It lasted about 1.5 hours and we loved the show and music. The singing and dancing were professional and enjoyable. I recommend the dining and show combination.

1  Thank GADawgGa