“best hotel in BA”

Own Palermo Hollywood
Ranked #139 of 444 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The staff were magnificent. They helped us out so much and nothing was a problem or too hard. The rooms especially the bed is gigantic, never seen anything like it before. Great location for restaurants in the area, heaps to choose from. We have been to BA twice now and if we went back we would stay at the same place. Highly recommend it. The only downfall is it's a bit of hike from the center. You need to catch a cab.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Bárbara B, Gerente at Own Palermo Hollywood, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Michael, Stuart and Rueben,
Thank you so much for selecting Own Palermo Hollywood for your stay in Buenos Aires!
We are very happy to know you enjoyed your experience with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
Kind regards,

Bárbara Böttcher

Reviewed 3 December 2013

What great front desk staff. I wish all hotel staff were as helpful, nice and welcoming as the folks that work here. The only minor issue I had with this place was the form over function room layout -- the frosted glass bathroom doors stay ajar and mirrors are placed in very odd locations in the 02 tier making it difficult to shave. Otherwise a fine hotel.

I had been warned about walking in the area late at night, specifically crossing the train tracks, but I never had any problems. The area is full of people walking around, going and coming from restaurants and bars. I never felt uncomfortable even at 2:30 AM.

If I plan to stay in the Palermo Hollywood location again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here but I would try to get a room with a balcony next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2013

The staff at this hotel were the friendliest & most helpful of our whole trip to Argentina. Lelia was kind enough to supply us with a good map, & suggestions for handy & nice restuarants for dinner.
The rooms were clean & tidy, & the breakfast was very nice. It is prepared fresh right in front of you.

Room Tip: We stayed on level 6, had no trouble with street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

The hotel is situated in Palermo Hollywood, but just across the railroad from Palermo Soho. Both neighbourhoods are full of boutiques, shops, cafés, and restaurants. It´s a 15-minute walk to the nearest metro that takes you to the city centre in about 20 minutes for only 2.50 pesos.
The hotel has a nice design feel, very contemporary. The rooms are spacious and the beds are super comfortable. Having said that, the rooms are starting to show their age a little bit. Buenos Aires overall is not an expensive city (at all) so when you pay US$ 160 (plus 21% tax!) your expectations are automatically raised and the hotel almost lives up to them, but not completely.
I didn't like the bathroom very much. The shower is really good, but overall the bathroom is fraying a bit around the edges. Mould is starting to show, there was a shelf missing (I know, because the supports for it were still there), the towels looked a bit tired, and the mirror situation is completely impractical. The walls between the bathroom and the rest of the room are made of frosted glass, which looks cool. But it means they weren't able to put up a mirror over the sink. There is a mirror on the wall to the left, but that is only useful if you're a contortionist. There is also a mirror on a stand, but for a tall person like me, bending over the mirror while shaving became painful for my back after a while, even when I balanced it on the edge of the sink.
Other reviewers complained about the low tables in the lounge for breakfast, but because breakfast is just juice, coffee, croissants and some fruit, you don't really need a "proper" table in my opinion, so that didn't bother me.
The staff were great, especially the receptionist. They never got tired of asking questions and were very knowledgeable. We asked for a recommendation for a tango show, and it was spot on.
I would give the hotel 4.5 stars, if that were possible, but it's not, so I gave it 4.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed at OWN for four nights in a junior suite. The room was HUGE. Some of the fittings are starting to look a little tired, however everything was spotless and well maintained.
The bathroom was small compared to the rest of the room and they could do with some new towels.
The balcony was excellent and had a good view of the city skyline.

The staff were fantastic. We were greeted by name when ever we left or arrived at the hotel. Great resturant suggestions and help getting taxis, changing money etc. Leila was especially helpful during our stay.

The location is a nice hip part of town. Excellent restuarants, bars, cafes very close by. The main tourist sites are easy to get to (a metro/bus or long walk away)
Busy streets and we never felt unsafe, and noise was not a problem for us.

Breakfast in the hotel was sufficent for us. Was really a continental selection, there are a couple of good places for breakfast close by if you like something hot.

Overall we would reccoment OWN hotel to anyone travelling to BA and we cant make a big enough point of how fantastic the service at the hotel was. We found the hotel good value.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

My husband and I took an anniversary trip to Buenos Aires and stayed at OWN in October 2013. Sol and Leila were so accommodating and kind. Great service for the price! They helped us select good restaurants nearby and call taxi's when we needed to get around. The bed was the most comfortable from our entire two-week trip around Latin America and the bathroom was spacey. The breakfast was also good - make sure you eat the Dulce de Leche every day while you're there! The lighting in the rooms at night was not my favorite nor were the location of the mirrors in the room/bathroom because it was difficult to style my hair and/or put on make-up.

The hotel is located in a good area although not waling distance to the main plaza's and picturesque avenues in downtown Buenos Aires is known for. But the area is quiet and has great restaurants and nightlife nearby to choose from.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

It was difficult to rate this hotel because it has several really wonderful aspects and some not so wonderful aspects. The wonderful aspects are wonderful, and if the not so wonderful aspects don't bother you, it's a great place to stay.
I'll start with the wonderful. The staff is outstanding. Friendly, helpful, and more. They went out of their way to be helpful in very useful ways. The rooms are very nice, also. You may or may not like the decor, but that's true anywhere.
Now the not so wonderful. The area. It isn't bad, it isn't at all dangerous, there are interesting neighborhoods to see and restaurants nearby. But there are much more interesting places to stay. And the walk from Palermo Hollywood to tourist places is rather long (but do-able, we did it). You can, of course, take a taxi or a bus (figuring out the latter is hard, but I'm certain the staff at the hotel will get you there and back). The biggest not so wonderful thing was the price. We had stayed the week before for several days in the Recoleta district, which is a stone's throw from several interesting tourist sites and relatively close to others. Our room was a 2-room suite, so larger and more comfortable, and we paid less per night.
So I really wish these folks who are working very hard well, but the price and the area make that very difficult for them. I hate to rate them "average", and I hope the details help you decide whether this works for you.

1  Thank jjbong