“Pitiful decline”

Garden House Hostel
“Pitiful decline”
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

When I write a review, I always try to find something positive to say. Usually, there's some redeeming feature or other that at least adds a positive gloss to a dull picture

However, since my brief stay at the Garden House Hostel in September of last year, despite giving it plenty of thought, I have struggled to find any mitigation for the worst place I have stayed in a very long time.

On the second Friday of my holiday, I was returning by coach to Buenos Aires from Cordoba still unsure as to where I was going to stay. My first choice hostel didn't have any single en suite rooms available so, having stayed in Garden House two years previously, I sent them an email.

The email correspondence went on for two days; for whatever reason, the staff at Garden House didn't respond to my specific request – save for a generic email.

So en route from Cordoba, I phoned and they confirmed my reservation for a single, en suite room.

When I got there, I had been put in the noisiest room by reception. It wasn't en suite.

At this point, my morale was quite low.

I therefore decided to modify my booking. Instead of staying for three nights, I stayed for one.

And what a good decision that was!

Both my room and the nearest bathroom were tatty and ramshackle. While basically clean, some of the fixtures and fittings were parting company with their permanent moorings.

Furthermore, the staff appeared to be unconcerned by guests or providing them with a service.

While I'm used to getting a basic breakfast in hostels, Garden House's offering was barely worthy of the name. It comprised a couple of pieces of bread and butter. The coffee was undrinkable.

But this is all a terrible shame. When I stayed in Garden House in 2010, it was hardly 5-star luxury. In fact, it was beginning to show the signs of decline but there were some redeeming features.

The main ones being the helpful staff, excellent atmosphere and the Friday night 'parillas', which are barbecues at which awesome amounts of high quality meat were on offer.

During my most recent stay, the thing that struck me was the pitiful decline into which the hostel had fallen. During my brief stay, I detected no signs of the camaraderie which I had enjoyed in 2010.

It is of course conceivable that I had caught them at a bad time and that my experience wasn't representative. However, I got the impression that these problems were long-standing and that the hostel needed urgent attention.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank RedTom64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Overall I would recommend this hostel to anyone.

This is a great hostel at a reasonable price. We stayed in a double for four nights and we very pleased with our experience. The staff is wonderfully helpful and very professional, the place is \ clean, there's a good common area to meet people, supermarket across the street to pick up food to cook in the kitchen, and WI-FI/computer access.

Our only complaint is the location. Though it's right by a subway stop, it's not really in San Telmo. It's about a 20min walk to get to San Telmo which is a bit of a drag

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Firstly I have to say the staff here were wonderful, helpful and so friendly, unfortunately that is the only good thing I can say about this hostel.

We stayed for two nights and everything that could have gone wrong, did. The bathrooms were dirty, cramped and in need of serious repairs. We booked a double room and unbeknownst to us we were put into the 'staff room'. This room is significantly worse than any other room in the hostel yet we paid the same price as the much nicer other double rooms. The worst was yet to come... we returned to the hostel hot and sweaty from a beautiful day around town to find that there was no water for showers. None. We were assured that this would be fixed by first thing in the morning, it was not. We were assured it would be easily fixed before we left for the airport for our 22 hour flight home... it was not fixed! Needless to say we smelled terrible all the way home. The "breakfast" was also very disappointing. I would not recommend this hostel and would absolutely never stay there again. I totally understand that some of these issues (water supply) may be out of the control of the hostel however how a business responds to these issues is crucial and this simply did not happen. I feel badly writing such a harsh review especially since the staff were so helpful and amazing but I felt I had to share our experience in hopes that it will help others avoid a similar stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Valparaiso, Chile
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stayed at this hostel for over 1 month. This little hostel has everything you need to make your time in Buenos Aires a special memory. Firstly the staff were the most helpful staff i have ever encountered in a hostel, nothing was too difficult and they made sure we knew the best places to go for great food, good music and dancing! Some of the staff will be our friends for life. They had fantastic pizzas nights which are a great way to meet other travellers and share stories and laughs, the pizzas were AMAZING too! The hostel itself is clean, comfortable and almost all of the bedrooms are quiet and away from the street. It is walking distance from the San Telmo markets and right next to a subway station and lots of bus stops. Quite simply one of the best hostels we have ever been too. We will miss our garden hostel family!!! Besos!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Keltern, Germany
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at garden house. it is clean, comfortable and the stuff is perfect they helped me a lot. I also enjoyed the barbecue which they offer every friday.
And it is next to the metro station. I really recommend that hostel and would choose it again

Room Tip: i had the 4-bed room and it was good
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Schalke
Reviewed 3 January 2013

The Garden House was our Oasis in Buenos Aires!
We enjoyed the time in this hostel during New Years Eve.
The staff is very friendly and was patient with answering our questions.
They searched for us the right bus connection to the airport (instead of paying an expensive taxi transfer).
In the night it was quiet, although the hostel is next to the big san juan. It is also close to a metro-station and a supermarket (2 minutes to walk).
The hostel offered a delicious new years eve dinner and a party connected to another hostel.
On the last day it was possible to hide our luggage in a room for free!
If you are exhausted there is a huge room with couches to relax.
The whole staying was perfect there!!
GardenHouse-Oasis!

Room Tip: We did not sleep below a ventilator, I think this was a good choice
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 19 December 2012

It's been the first hostel on my 5-month-trip across South-America. It's more a small and quiet spot, than a party-hostel, so It's been the perfect choice for arriving in SA and a few days discovering the city. The hostel and it's staff are spreading a warm family feeling and you definitely get the feeling, they care about you. On their terrace you sometimes have the opportunity to join the BBQ or "grilled pizza sessions" (highly recommended!!) provided by the staff for a small amount. - so you have the possibility to have a cheap and tasty dinner!
There is free wifi, a cozy quiet library to read and chill, fully equipped kitchen, coffee that actually does what coffee should do at the breakfast, dorms with lockers, and all that other stuff you need in a hostel, to have a nice stay. The awesome staff also speaks english (at least 2 native speakers i guess) and they've been suuuper helpful!
Had a lovely stay, and even went back 2 times, after short trip to Uruguay and for a short night, after coming back from Iguazu, before heading south.
Definitely would stay there again! Thanks guys!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo