“As safe as Ibis always is”

Hotel Ibis Buenos Aires Obelisco
Ranked #115 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 12 November 2011

In my fourth time in Buenos Aires, I just wanted a safe and cheap place to stay the night, close to the theater – Teatro Gran Rex, in the same avenue, 650 meters down away - where I would see Chris Cornell’s acclaimed Songbook Tour concert.
Both the concert and the hotel surpassed my expectations: Cornell overcame a scary laryngitis that made him cancel four shows in the U.S., and kept his South American schedule, presenting a spectacular performance, and was very charismatic.
The hotel is a brand new Ibis, opened in 2009, in a fully reformed building. Who read my other Buenos Aires reviews will remember me saying that the biggest risk is getting an old, dusty and dirty room, in a supposedly four stars hotel. Ibis also saves you from that tourist trap and you pay much less than in Puerto Madero hotels.
The room is very similar to others from the chain, and the only downside is the lack of a minibar. But the bathroom is quite spacious for its proposal.
The breakfast is very good for argentine patterns, but the cappuccino in the 24h bar, that we took post-concert, was as tasteless as I can remember anything I drank before.
If you’re on a budget, doing a business trip, or just wanting a fine place to rest your bones after enjoying Buenos Aires vibrant artistic scene, that’s the place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Ibis Buenos Aires Obelisco

Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stayed here on our first trip to Buenos Aires and were very satisfied. The hotel and rooms were clean and modern. A lot of people reviewing this hotel are complaining about the location but my husband and I thought it was perfect: the purpose of our trip was sightseeing and the location was centrally located, within walking distance of the government buildings and (if you're really in the mood to walk) San Telmo/ the Sunday San Telmo market. The rest of the sights were a short cab ride away. We felt safe walking to and from the (many) nearby restaurants and cafes together at night. If you absolutely love bookstores, you will be in heaven on this street, as there are literally 3-5 bookstores on every block of this stretch of Corrientes. Also, note that the absolutely wonderful historical cafe El Gato Negro is only a few blocks away, and if you can't do without your Starbucks there's a brand new one about 3 blocks away. We didn't spend much time in the hotel during the day-not recommended as there's not much to hang around for. At night it seemed relatively quiet and the wine at the small hotel lobby bar was good and reasonably priced. Perfect for sipping when using the wifi (which is only available free in the lobby). The only thing I wished the rooms had was a mini-fridge so we could have kept some water and snacks cool (there's a grocery store a few blocks away). Overall good value and location, especially if you're just looking for a clean and safe place to drop your bags off before heading out to enjoy the city.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ajgincanada
Reviewed 1 November 2011

A very well located hotel, in the city center. During my stay it was full, with so many guest the people from the front desk were absolutely stressed. Smelly room, I ask for a change but after 20 minutes ringing the front desk they told me they were full. Bad breakfast (poor quality) a lot of different stuff, but cheap food quality.
Wifi at the lobby, small common places ( only 4 chairs in the waiting room were not enough)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Alex C
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This hotel is in central location in Buenos Aires. It is a nice, modern hotel, with good rooms. We only stayed for one night, but it was a good place to stay. The only downside was that the check in was incredibly slow, but having said that, they were flexible, allowing us to leave a backpack there upon check out.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The hotel is Ibis standart: cheap, clean and centrally located. You know exactly what you are going to find when you open the door. Well, concerning the location I should say that the area is not charming at all like Recoleta. Lots of average restaurants, all sorts of shops in the neighborhood and theaters with a Broadway ambition. Despite that, I might recognize that the good part is that any cab ride is cheap (in a city where cabs are normally cheap), since the hotel is in a central location.
Rooms are what you expect from a Ibis hotel: small, clean and nice shower.
Breakfast was not included, but since the restaurants in the neighborhood did not appeal at all, we decided to have breakfast at the hotel. We were not let down. Nothing extraordinary but very good for the price we paid.
Staff was attentive and gentle. Helped us several times calling cabs. By the way, we did not have any trouble with cabs in BAs.
The only minus in the hotel is that the free wifi is not available in the rooms.
I would stay there again if I return to BAs on a budget.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2011

You need to decide if you want a business class hotel, or an economical hotel. I booked late for a business trip and no affordable business hotels were available, so I went for the Ibis knowing what to expect.

Location is very convenient and is literally in the same building as the Novotel. only 65 pesos or so to AEP, which is the smaller airport on the river. (And the best airport if you are able to find a flight into it.)

My main issue with this one was that the bathroom was kind of beat up (broken counter-top with a homeowner-style repair), mold in the shower, and a toilet seat that was also really battered. On any of these issues I try to go light because my own bathroom at home is not perfect. Still, it's getting towards the edge of seedy.

Checkin went OK, although it was slow. Security was obvious and tight, which was nice.

WiFi is free in the lobby, 20 pesos/day for wifi in your room. The connection is not very fast, especially when everyone in the hotel is doing email in the evening.

Breakfast is not free, as others mentioned. I am glad I bought it because I was always in a hurry to go off for my daily business, but the selection was limited and focused on pastries. Only hot food was scrambled eggs (don't eat them) and there were some slices of cheese and inexpensive ham, along with cereal and fresh fruit. Coffee was inedible without additives, but that seems to be true in most of Buenos Aires.

Room Tip: Higher is quieter -- the street is busy, and therefore noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Gostei mto da minha hospedagem no Ibis Obelisco, o hotel é bem central, dá pra chegar a certos pontos turísticos andando e quase em frente a ele há uma estação de metrô. O fato de ele situar-se na Av Corrientes tb é mto positivo, pois a noite há mto entretenimento na rua: teatro, musicais, restaurantes... O hotel é confortável e bem organizado. Recomendo! Qdo voltar a Bue certamente me hospedarei nele.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple