“On a sunday it's San Telmo”

Feria De San Pedro Telmo
Book In Advance
More Info
US$97.00*
and up
San Telmo and Mataderos Fair Tour in Buenos Aires
Ranked #46 of 817 things to do in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 5 March 2014

It's a little difficult to get there but once you are at the Sunday flea and crafts market..it's good fun walking on the cobbled stones..watching beautiful antiques..gardel music playing most amazing antiques market with small shops with all kinds of crystal furniture,chandeliers..lovely afternoon to spend browsing around collecting souvenirs.it doesn't seem like a very safe place to be after 5 though..getting transport also may be a problem..so leave by 4 p.m.all in all great fun

1  Thank pravin57
Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Sunday feria has many vendors selling everything you can possibly think of to buy. There are three times as many tourists as vendors. I visited with three aunts. To manage the sensory overload, we browsed one side of vendors first then at the end of the street, we turned around and walked back down, browsing the other side of vendors. That made the shopping manageable. I had on a small backpack (one of those that had a compartment for a water bladder) that contained a water bottle, map, and my iPhone. I did not have the water bladder installed, so I used that compartment for my wallet. When worn, that compartment was flushed against my back. An hour into browsing the various stalls, a lady tapped me on the should and said that my backpack was wide open. Sure enough, the main compartment was unzipped and flapping in the wind. I did not feel anyone opening it and had been sure that if someone attempted to do it, I would feel it as it was a small backpack. Fortunately, the would-be thieves were not too interested in the water bottle and my iPhone was hidden behind a worn map and they didn't see it. Nothing was stolen, but I felt violated nonetheless. After moving my iPhone to the bladder compartment, I continued to wear the backpack the way I had been wearing it, in defiance of other would-be thieves. No one else attempted to open my backpack. Lesson learned: secure your valuables and enjoy the feria.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is the first time I have stayed in the San Telmo area. I really loved it and the Feria was the highlight of the week for me. It is a photographer’s delight if you like to capture people photos like I do (see my pics).
There are some colorful characters here, and what struck me the most was the sense of community among the stall holders, sharing drinks and other substances. Everybody seemed happy. There was a rock band playing on one street corner, and later the Candombe drummers started up to great applause from the crowd… the best Candombe I’ve heard anywhere.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Loved the market, the ambiance, the crowd, the artisans and the buskers! Definitely high up there on one of my favourite markets in the world in one of my favourite cities in the world!. It did not disappoint!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I've experienced the touristy markets all over, and this one was one of my favorites!

The people, the crowd, the music, the liveliness, and the selection of goods make this a great market!

We were staying in the neighborhood of San Telmo (also recommended), so that meant we could leisurely stroll and browse without a time limit. This made the experience more memorable and enjoyable. The musicians play drums (candomble) and the women just come into the street and dance. This occurred until long after most vendors were leaving (they left around 7-8p and the dancing continued at least until midnight). The goods are generally what you would find at most markets - art, jewelry, leather goods, sweaters, etc. but there is the section of small antiques in plaza dorrego. The art was mainly near that plaza also. As far as deals, some things are a deal (some earrings, some wooden goods) while others are comparable to what one would pay in the u.s. (some leather, some jewelry, some art, sweaters, etc). We came more because of the experience than the deals. And also because I collect street art, and markets like these are the best/only place to find that in most cases.

We had no problem with pickpockets and never felt unsafe, despite being two American women. We felt very welcome, even though we did not exactly blend in. Many of the vendors were so friendly - one man even poured us several cups of his bottles water because it was so hot.

We felt the heartbeat of the city and of culture at this market and the surrounding area. Don't miss it!

2  Thank jbak_worldtrvlr