“Watch out for Sissi Haz Overcharging you”

Sissi Haz Hotel Boutique
Ranked #14 of 258 Buenos Aires B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Even before we checked in, Sissi Haz Hotel Boutique had overcharged my credit card by $75. When I asked for the money to be returned, they only gave me a partial refund because they claimed the exchange rate had changed. The exchange rate had changed but to my favor but they still did not return the money they had incorrectly overcharged me. Don't stay at the Sissi Haz if you don't speak Spanish. They do not speak any English and cannot give you directions, suggestions for restaurants or any other help. There is no elevator so you have to carry your luggage up several flights of stairs. There is wireless but no computers. Because of crime in Buenes Aires, the management insists on opening and locking the front door of the hotel whenever you go in or out. It's very confining. They also insisted that the windows to our room be locked at all times because thieves can break in from the street. The only nice part about this hoteli is the Palermo location and the nice sized and clean room. For the price, you can do much better at bigger hotels with more services for the same price. I wouldn't waste my money on Sissi Haz.

Room Tip: The room on the second floor was large and had stained glass windows. Unfortunately the management...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 February 2013

We booked Sissi Haz for one night before our flight back to the UK. The unusual dark and dingy dungeon like decor was not to our liking however for one night it would do. We had a room on the top floor(no lift) which was not very clean ,had a tiny window and the wifi did not work which we later found out the owners were aware of but acted ignorant . Just as we were leaving to get something to eat, it started raining heavily and to our amazement the rain was gushing through the ceiling, and I don't mean dripping. Some of our belongings got soaked within seconds. Refusing to stay in that room we started packing and told the receptionist who came up to see for herself. They did not have another room available. A room in another hotel was eventually found which they paid for and I insisted that they arrange a taxi for us. We wasted several ours sorting all this out. The new hotel was far nicer which was the only blessing of that evening.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2012

The B&B was very clean, good WIFI, comfortable beds, friendly owners and staff. It was the best breakfast we had during our time in Argentina. We had eggs, fresh fruit and yogurt -- other places only had pastries, toast and jam. Location was great for us - we enjoyed staying in Palermo which is a safe neighborhood with lots of good restaurants nearby. We stayed in San Telmo the night before we left the country and it was a totally different experience - didn't feel safe leaving the hotel at night. Paula was extremely helpful in coordinating our travel plans and booking activities. It was helpful that she speaks good English.

Just a general tip for traveling in Argentina - bring as many US dollars as you feel comfortable with because you can often get a 10-15% discount at hotels, restaurants, and shops by paying in dollars. Also, we were only able to get 1000 pesos at a time out of the ATMs (equal to $210) which really racked up the ATM charges. I wished I had known this before. Also, I brought an adaptor which said it would work in South America but it didn't fit the outlet. I suggest bringing your whole set of adaptors to ensure you have the right one (it turns out it was the adaptor labeled with Asian countries that fit the outlet).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tashiba
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Thank you Silvia and Lorenzo. You and your family and staff cemented our enjoyment of Buenos Aires and Argentina. Your beautifully designed and decorated Hosteria is perfectly positioned in a huge city for every thing we needed. Thank you for recommending the wonderful Cafe Tortoni for my first Tango experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here on a recent trip to Buenos Aires and have to say that we LOVED this hotel! The staff were very friendly and helpful and the owners even more so! They really made our trip. We loved coming back home and chatting with the Lorenzo and his wife, even though we didn't speak a lot of Spanish. They were genuine, caring, lovely people and we were very sad to leave! They made us feel like family.
The hotel itself is in the middle of Palermo with lots of shopping, restaurants, and sites nearby. The subte is a 10-15 minute walk away so we loved the location. The rooms were clean and very roomy; we were very comfortable here. The breakfast selection was good and they can bring it to your room if you'd like, a great perk! The hotel is a great value for the money and I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VancouverTravelGirl
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel in late March 2012. I was in BA for a week, and the location was ideal for where I had to attend a conference. The owner, Lorenzo and his wife Silvia were fantastic. They own the place, he is an architect and he designed it. I had a very comfortable room and enjoyed the company of the owners. They were very helpful in directing me to appropriate restaurants, especially when I wanted to try out locro (as another reviewer has mentioned). They were very patient with us non-Spanish speaking visitors!
The other plus is the the great clothing shop that their daughter runs on the ground floor, called Eger. She designs all the clothing and they are locally made - I came home with 2 great shirts.
The people make the stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Tansendoc
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This hotel is very convenient to many bars, restaurants, clubs, and shops in the trendy Palermo Soho district. There is easy access to a laundry service about 2 blocks away, a cheap yet tasty parrilla just 2 blocks out and trendy bars and shops all around. The neighborhood itself is away from most attractions around town, but nothing a cab ride or an 8 block walk to the metro can't solve.

The owners are very nice and sweet. They are very helpful even with their limited English, but I thought it was nice that I got to learn a little Spanish from them. They will call for taxis, make reservations for shows and restaurants and find you what you want to eat, like I wanted locro (local stew dish).

Minor complaints, the breakfast was the same thing every morning: cheese omelet, pastries, fruit, yogurt, juice, and coffee. Having been there for 6 nights, it would be nice to change it up a little. The breakfast is delivered to your room whatever time you tell them. WIFI definitely does not work on the 3rd floor. Umbrellas are provided when it rains. Although you did have to ring to go in and out the hotel, I thought it was nice and felt safe. They never give you attitude even when you scroll in at 3AM. You leave your room key at the reception desk before leaving.

I had a two single bed on the 3rd floor with a view to the street. The bed was kinda small, but it was still comfy. There's only one window in that room, but it's fine. The place is clean, the hardwood floors and high slanted ceiling was a nice touch. The shower has good pressure and the water is HOT. There's a TV, heater/AC unit, and a ceiling fan.

Bottom line: I recommend it. The neighborhood is cute.

Room Tip: 3rd floor has high ceilings, but no WiFi
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends