“Quirky - could be great...”
Review of Hotel Mundial

Hotel Mundial
Ranked #249 of 444 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 18 April 2013

We arrived here with some trepidation after booking and then reading recent reviews. However we were pleasantly surprised. It is true that the hotel is in need of some work - the rooms are large, clean and light but need finishing touches and some rooms need new carpets etc. Hopefully the new owners, a hotel chain based in Barcelona, will invest in this lovely old building and highlight all the original features ( wrought iron lift, huge staircases, balconies) The location is great - on Avenida de Mayo, right by a metro. Really friendly and helpful reception staff. Excellent breakfast. Of course if the hotel has a major overhaul the prices will go up! At the moment I would say "Good" rather than "Very Good" but "Average " would be a bit harsh - I have stayed in far worse places and the place has character and definite potential. We stayed 2 nights, 5 days apart. 2nd night - room 101(!) had room for 6 and a dressing room! Would be great for a family.

Room Tip: Room 101 would take up to 6 people so good for a family. Also a small dressing room attached for ear...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed there for one night. The bed sheets had a really disgusting stain and I really don't want to mention what type of stain was. When I called reception about it they said that no one else was able to give us new sheets as they were pretty busy and didn't have available staff so that we had to go downstairs to get new sheets. We even didn't receive an apology about it. Curtains and carpets were full of stains as well. Walls were too thin so we couldn't sleep at all as we could hear people coming and going and slamming doors the whole night plus we were pretty disgusted to sleep on that bed anyway.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KitaBear
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Great central place in the downtown area of Buenos Aires. OK rooms, not too big though, but big enough. Beautiful bright colors and overall a charming building. Good breakfast according to argentine standards.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2013

We stayed here a couple of years ago and we were very pleased then with our choice. It had recently been renovated and so we followed our own advice and decided to stay here again.

I have to say it has certainly deteriorated since then. The room we were given was quite grim and stank of cigarette smoke despite being non-smoking. When I complained they changed it without hesitation which leaves me wondering why they offered me the worst room to begin with when they had a better one. The second room was only marginally better. The net curtains were only partially attached and dirty and to be quite honest the hotel badly needs some maintenance. The breakfast area was lovely when we stayed here in 2010, but now the breakfast cups and bowls were badly chipped as was the furniture, though the breakfast itself wasn’t that bad and there was plenty of it.

Not sure if I would stay here again. The hotel is in a good location though the down and outs hanging around and sleeping near here at night are a bit off putting. The price is excellent I have to say and probably that is why this hotel always has a lot of guests. However it’s time to get the paint brushes out, wash the curtains and replace the breakfast dishes before I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 December 2012

On sunday nigth (may 5th 2012) I have suffered an accident at the bathroom of room 503 Mundial hotel. A got a profound cut in my arm and at the hospital Swiss Argentina they made 8 stitches.

When I came back from the hospital I realized that I slipped when stepping out of the shower because the floor was completely flooded. This happens due to the size of the curtain that allows the water to spread out in the entire bathroom. Besides that the 10 cm wall is built with tales that were cut from a bigger one, so it has very very sharp edge.

I recommend the hotel management to refurbish that bathroom, I is very easy and will avoid other guests to get hurt. Besides that I styronglly advise guests to be aware of these risks!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DayseRiodejaneiro
Reviewed 16 December 2012

There are many hotels in Buenos Aires. I guess it is hard to make a choice. We stayed here it was just fine. It is centrally placed: you can walk to the historic center or take just any bus or subway to somewhere else in the city.

The rooms where kind of small. The doors where old (so they didn't isolate much of the noise from the hallway). The toilet was just fine - clean and everything worked. One very positive thing: the room had air conditioning.

The breakfast: fruit salad, bread, marmalade, coffee, croissants.

I think the place was just a bit expensive, however, in Buenos Aires, things are just expensive.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ignacio P
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Location was the main reason why I chose this hotel and I was so happy I did it. I could walk to the Obelisc in like 10 minutes, the hotel is located on the same road as the court hose type building and there is an original statue of Rodin's thinker right by it.
here is a Metro/Subway station just two blocks from the hotel.
The area is one of the best of Buenos Aires, very safe at night and surrounded by very nice restaurants. You can also walk to cafe Tortoni to see one of the best tango shows from the hotel (kind of pricy though). Casa Rosada -Presidential Palace- is also close by if you want to walk or take a taxi for five dollars from your hotel.
The best of Hotel Mundial is the staff, they will always try ot help you and they are very courteous and friendly. Even if you know Spansih, you will find it hard to understand Argentinians very well, tehy have a distinct accent and they use a lot of local vocabulary and slang. Most of the staff could speak English at an acceptable level.
The elevators are old style (like some you will see in France) you have to open and close the door manually and it looks like you are caged in when you get in the elevator.
The breakfast is included and it like a buffet style, very good with a variety of fruits and juices.
I will go back to B Aires and I will try the Hotel Mundial again too.

Room Tip: Best location if you want to walk to main attractions.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family