“Dirty and noisy but good location”
Review of Hotel Mundial

Hotel Mundial
Ranked #243 of 447 Hotels in Buenos Aires
London
“Dirty and noisy but good location”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights and selected it based on all those fantastic reviews. I just wonder whether our room was exceptionally poor or what those other brilliant reviews were all about?

We had a 5th floor room facing the street. The street noise coming throw the single glazed windows was horrible and made it difficult to sleep. Consider that you will be located right at the main avenue!

There was no pressure in the shower, if you were lucky enough could have a shower, other cases drops of water only.

The curtain in our room was black. Most probably never been washed. The room itself was in a pretty bad condition in general. The ceiling showed a history of water pipe bursts. Never repainted.

The sheet and duvet cover black from previous ladies makeups.

Didn't get towels, had to ask numerous times to send them to our room.

The breakfast was edible, specially the fruits.

I certainly don't think that it's worth the money. Even hostels come in better shape for cheaper price!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We just had your luggage stolen by an or ganised gang in the Hotel Mundial at reception as we were checking in. 4 people came in and and 2 started harassing me an my wife. While we were distracted the stole 1 of our bags. Lost cameras passports and money. This happened in the hotel. Lobby. The Clerk just shrugged when we asked him for help. We have have visited BA before and we are aware of the street crime. But this is a whole new level. Were from South Africa and we have one of the highest crime rates in the world, but we were taken here. So be very carefull.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank clonanian

Travellers are raving about these Buenos Aires hotels

Odessa, Ukraine
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed in Hotel Mundial with my mom and sister in Feb.
* staff are helpful
* quite various breakfast
* clean rooms
* amazing location!!!
The last night we stayed there - we were placed in another room after our trip to Uguazu. This time it was a corner room. And the moment it went dark outside and we switched off the lights to sleep - troops of rats started running around. I don;t know where it was (most probably under the floor), but the feeling gives you goosebumps, feels like they are going to jump on you as soon as you close your eyes. Of course, we could go down and fight, but it was our last night and we were totally exhausted.

Room Tip: Don't take corner rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Tulsa OK
Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is so far one of the hardest hotels that I have stayed in to rate as I have such mixed feelings. First off, the place is said to be a 2 star hotel. In America, it would probably rate as a 1 star. Having said that, this place does have alot going for it...

Pros...
-Great location on Ave de Mayo. Peru subway station is 2 blocks east.
-Many restaurants in the area, and small city kiosks type locations nearby
-Price was very reasonable....
-WIFI worked extremely well most of my stay....usually not the case in this price range
-Breakfast was very decent, again considering the price. Nothing hot, but sufficient cold stuff to make it worthwhile. Only suggestion would be to get a toaster
-Plenty of hot water
-Hotel has alot of character and so much potential...
-room was clean when entering
-Starbucks is just next door, for those that are addicted...

Cons...
-Its definitely showing signs of wear and tear, fixtures are older, basically like a very old, and somewhat unkept home...my shower head was spraying water all over the place...
-on VERY noisy street, and very old windows do not block out sound....I had a room on street...finally calms down a bit well after midnight...
-curtains looked to be 25 years old, ceiling has massive water damage in my room...
-noise from outside room tends to drift into room, doors certainly not sound proof..
-bathroom, while functional is a bit odd...door does not completely open
-very very basic furniture in room
-low end towels, soap,etc.

This hotel is not for a primadonna who has to have very nice accommodations. But it will work perfectly for the budget traveler who does not need perfection. As I mentioned before, the price was right. If big renovations were done to this hotel, I suspect the rate would double if not more. But in order not to loose the character this old place has, it would have to proceed very carefully. Overall, it was clean, and I came away with a good taste in my mouth. The people at the front desk were helpful at all times, and all spoke English after I tried my best to ask questions in Spanish.

Would I come back? Probably not, as there are many competing hotels for just a few dollars more.. Would I recommend against it? Only to those who want a nice place, but are wiling to pay for it. This is a perfect hotel for the budget minded group!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gsx1990
Nagoya, Japan
Reviewed 6 July 2013

2 pairs of Rayban sunglasses were stolen from the room in the first few days, and then our coats disappeared on the last day. The reception failed even to address the cleaner on our behalf about the thefts. 2 mornings were spent in a police station filing reports, when we could have been enjoying Buenos Aires!

Very disappointing! Untrustworthy cleaners, indifferent reception!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NagoyaKiwi
Praia Grande, SP
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

It's located in an old but well preserved building, near Congresso building and Palácio Barolo. Great service but too much traffic noise. And bathroom doesn't have window or any ventilation. But the room was very clean!

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I recommend hotel "Mundial" in Buenos Aires. I lived there for twelve weeks this year and I found out how well it functions thanks to the commitment and good will of crew members: workers of front desk, dining room, cleaning section and others who I did not meet in person.
The hotel is housed in a historic building, cleverly modernized in a way that helped to keep original equipment (for example elevator shaft made of iron) and ornaments dating back 100 years, what recalls me the charm of old Buenos Aires.
My single room was decorated with basic furniture and there was almost everything that I needed for living, including telephone, cable TV, air conditioning and wireless internet access, which worked well. Only the lack of few shelves for clothes was uncomfortable.
The bathroom was small but renovated recently. Cleaning service was offered me every day.
I could leave my belongings safely in the room - in addition to people's honesty there was an electronic lock in the door and a safety box. Balcony window overlooked the little, quiet street on the back of the hotel.
Fans of different diets could find something tasty at the breakfast bufet - fresh fruits and cornflakes with yogurt or toasts with ham and cheese.
Location in the city center (close to restaurants, cafes, theaters, cinemas, subway stations and bus stops) made it easy to reach large and small attractions in different districts. The hotel stands on the historic, busy street connecting offices of the highest state authorities so I came into contact with fascinating (from my point of view, as Pole) manifestations of political life of Argentinians. And sometimes I took there a breath of (almost) fresh air thanks to trees growing along wide sidewalks, which is rare in downtown.
In my opinion, if investors would have been able to spend more money for renovation of the building and equipment, for example peel off the worn carpet and uncover wooden floor, hidden under it (more stylish and friendly for allergy sufferers), the hotel could easily gain more than 2 stars. But, probably, the price per night would have been less favorable to guests.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo