“BA with kids”

Ranked #235 of 446 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Montevideo, Uruguay
“BA with kids”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

an excellent location in BA (San Telmo), A very comfortable hotel for a trip with children (spacious, kitchen, 2 bathrooms...). Very good quality in relation to price. The only one thing they should improve is breakfast. It would be good to have a 2º TV in the upper room

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Turkish first
Portland
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our first trip to Argentina and BA was a big success partly because of the Piedras Suites. The apartment was comfortable; the bed and the bath were comfortable. The kitchenette was workable, but could have used another skillet and lid. The deck overlooked a busy intersection. The noise was not a problem; the goings-on always interesting. There were lots of shops nearby, including a good deli right across the street. The location is within easy waling distance of most of the things visitors want to see. Perhaps best of all, was the desk staff. They were fluent in English and good with suggestions and recommendations. All in all, a good choice. We would make it again.

Room Tip: Get a little above the street level
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Trip advisor for Piedras Suites

What can I say? As a frequent visitor to Buenos Aires, I chose Piedras Suites for a stopover, because I knew where it was, had visited friends staying there and had been impressed by the suites and the front desk staff, and had some business to do in San Telmo. I did read the Tripadvisir reviews, and had noted where there were complaints they seemed to relate to the manager, Carolina. I have learnt over the years to pay more attention to negative reviews than positive, but since I had visited the hotel before and had friends who had good experiences, went ahead a booked via a third person website for the best price (I had emailed the hotel directly for prices, but never got a response). I knew the price from the website was similar to what my friends had paid, but less than the rack rate. The booking was prepaid, with a voucher to present at the hotel.

After having booked, I emailed Piedras Suites directly to confirm the reservation. I received a confirmation of availability. Everything seemed fine. Three days before flying from Australia, I contacted the hotel to organise a airport shuttle. To my shock, I got an email from Carolina indicating that due to 'electrical problems' the room would not be available the first night, so they'd moved me to the Monserrat ApartHotel! When I protested that not only was the Monserrat nowhere near San Telmo, it didn't make sense that the 'electrical problem' was only for one day, Carolina was very unhelpful, commenting that I hadn't paid much for the room (so apparently I had no rights). When I suggested the Hotel Dandy next door would have been less inconvenient, she complained about the price. I also pointed out the fact that having to change hotels would mean I'd lose both my time to recover from jet lag, but also a half day waiting to get into the new room (which did happen). When I complained to the third party booking agent, they confirmed that the problem was due to overbooking. By this time, it was one day before my flight, so I felt I had to agree to the two hotel option or not have any where to sleep after a 14+ hour trip.

While I have no complaints about the staff at the Monserrat ApartHotel (they were great), the hotel was in no way comparable to Piedras Suites. The rooms were basic hotel rooms with kitchenettes, and the location is in a slightly dodgy area. And since I ended up in Monserrat rather than San Telmo, I felt unable to go out to a friend's milonga (which was next door to Piedras Suites).

As predicted, the next day when I switched hotels, I wasn't really able to sleep in to help my jet lag, and I had to wait a couple of hours before I was able to get into my suite at Piedras Suites. The suite itself was, as I remembered, very nice. Because I was flying out early the next day, I asked the front desk staff to organise a taxi for 7 am. And since Carolina was aware that the booking had been prepaid by voucher, I did not anticipate any issues on check-out. So I was again unpleasantly surprised when I went down at 7 am to check-out to find that (1) apparently no taxi had been booked, (2) there was an invoice for the cost of the booking implying I hadn't paid, and (3) the poor night reception man who didn't speak English apparently hadn't been told anything! Very stressful. Luckily, I had a copy of the booking and voucher, and convinced him in pidgin Spanish that I had already paid. If I hadn't been able to speak some Spanish, I might have been forced to pay twice!

So, all in all, a pretty horrible experience. This is very sad since Piedras Suites is a very nice hotel. The problems were all due to management.

Since I know Carolina will probably read and respond to this post, I'll ask her, on behalf of Tripadvisor readers, what do they need to do to ensure good treatment at Piedras Suites? Do they need to book directly with the hotel, since third party bookings seem less valuable? Is there a price point above which their confirmations actually count.? Is there some other criteria they use to decide who gets treated well or not?

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Piedras S, Director de Recepción at Piedras Suites, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Karen,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Piedras Suites with Trip Advisor Community.

We apologize for the inconveniences you have faced due to the fact that we have been unable to fully accommodate your two nights booking at Piedras Suites.

As we have explained to you and the agency before your arrival date, some of our Suites were out of order for an unexpected maintenance inconvenience and since it was not possible to resolve that problem in a few days, we decided to let you know about this and to book one night at a similar Hotel in the area, which we knew had high quality standards.

We have also provided the transfer service from Monserrat –that is located 700 meters from us- to Piedras Suites, in order to avoid causing further trouble to you. As soon as you arrived at Piedras Suites, we managed to have your Suite ready in 30 minutes; we have kept your luggage at the front desk so that you could have a walk around San Telmo, too.

Regarding your last inquiries, I wish to point out that we do care for providing an excellent service to all our guests -independently from the means they have chosen to make their reservations with us-.

Please feel free to contact us for any comment or inquiry you might have.
We expect you to visit us in the future.

Best Regards.
La Paz, Bolivia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed here with my in-laws. The suites are very nice and practical. The upstairs bathroom is wonderful and spacious with a great tub. Loved the loft in every aspect. Comfortable bed, nice sheets and lots of space to organize our stuff.
The half bath in the bottom part is tight, and uncomfortable. It'd would be fine for kids or teenagers to use but adults a bit uncomfortable. If I was traveling with kids this place would be great.
The kitchen is great, has everything we needed.
The desk staff, specially Carolina, were great and friendly.
The area is nice, but at night some of streets are a little dodgy.
We would definitely return. Great price.
The breakfast is pretty simple and the coffee is pretty weak. we opted just going to Starbucks.
The only bad thing I have to say about the hotel, is the noise at night, not from the street but from the other rooms. It's like they are in your room. And u can hear them going up and down the stairs to their loft at all hours of the night. And u can hear them flushing the toilets, etc. so the rooms aren't to soundproof.
But overall it's a great value and great location.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet corner room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We arrived and were told that we had to pay for 2 more people. we showed our reservation that showed our rate was for a 4 person room. We were told that expedia said we only were a double room. We again said no way and showed the 4 person rate. Antonio accepted and all was well until 4th day when a woman said she was responsible and Expedia sent only for2 people. She said they had plenty of rooms all set up the same for 4 persons, but charged extra32.00 u.s. per person per night. I will not pay more, and they have received my payment from expedia. I will have to get new lodging now. I will also call my card company and cancel payment. This is the only way I can contact Trip Advisor

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Piedras S, Director General at Piedras Suites, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for writing this review and for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor Community.

We are glad we finally made it clear what the situation with your reservation was, and most of all because after that you decided to stay for two weeks at Piedras Suites.

Your original reservation was made throuhg a third party -not directly with us- and you have booked a Double Room. Actually you were a family of four adults, that is why we asked you to pay for the 2 extra adults and services.

We know you learned about us on TripAdvisor and decided to stay here due to our Excellent reputation, and we wish to explain that there is nothing this site can do about guest's reservations since they do not manage them.

We thank you for choosing us and expect you are having a great time at Piedras Suites!
Best regards,

Boston, MA
Reviewed 29 July 2013

A perfect, reasonably priced home-from-home conveniently located in San Telmo. An ideally-sized studio apartment for two with loft bedroom - perfect for entertaining! 24-hour staff is kind, friendly and has great ideas for walks and other activities. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: Rooms are quieter on the upper floors.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica S
Dear Jessica,

we appreciate very much you taking the time to write this wonderful review about your experience at Piedras Suites.

It has been a pleasure to meet you and we really hope you can visit us again in the future.

Best regards,
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Fantastic value for money, good location, extremely spacious, nice, modern furniture and very clean. Team is flexible: I got an early check in no problem at 10am. Would definitely go back if in Buenos Aires

Room Tip: I think they are all very similar