“Poor breakfast”
Review of Piedras Suites

Piedras Suites
Ranked #229 of 443 Hotels in Buenos Aires
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The fruit was very limited, there were no eggs, lactose free products or healthy food. The suits are big enough for three persons and you can prepare your own breakfast for less money. There is some noise in the nights, specially on the weekends

Room Tip: Free wifi was a joke, dont take it seriously
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Piedras Suites

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Super location, right in the heart of San Telmo-- easy walking distance to all San Telmo offers

The rooms were large, clean and reasonably priced.
Each unit is a loft, with kitchen and living space and a small bathroom downstairs and a bedroom and full bathroom upstairs. It feels more like an apartment than hotel room.

WIFI signal was strong in all parts of the unit.
The staff was friendly and helpful.

As several others have commented the breakfasts weren't great, but that seemed to us like a small thing.

We stayed for 8 days and found it very comfortable and we would happily stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

San Telmo is probably the coolest Buenos Aires' neighborhood. Piedras Suites has very convenient appartments and location, but it has none of the spirit of San Telmo. I'd recommended for covenience, not for being at a place that has the "feeling of San Telmo".

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here twice while in Argentina. Booked through agoda.com and didn't have any problems. The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean and we really liked the concept of the place. The breakfasts weren't super (then, again, they never were in Argentinian hotels during our trip), however, we always found at least something to eat.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

an excellent location in BA (San Telmo), A very comfortable hotel for a trip with children (spacious, kitchen, 2 bathrooms...). Very good quality in relation to price. The only one thing they should improve is breakfast. It would be good to have a 2º TV in the upper room

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our first trip to Argentina and BA was a big success partly because of the Piedras Suites. The apartment was comfortable; the bed and the bath were comfortable. The kitchenette was workable, but could have used another skillet and lid. The deck overlooked a busy intersection. The noise was not a problem; the goings-on always interesting. There were lots of shops nearby, including a good deli right across the street. The location is within easy waling distance of most of the things visitors want to see. Perhaps best of all, was the desk staff. They were fluent in English and good with suggestions and recommendations. All in all, a good choice. We would make it again.

Room Tip: Get a little above the street level
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Trip advisor for Piedras Suites

What can I say? As a frequent visitor to Buenos Aires, I chose Piedras Suites for a stopover, because I knew where it was, had visited friends staying there and had been impressed by the suites and the front desk staff, and had some business to do in San Telmo. I did read the Tripadvisir reviews, and had noted where there were complaints they seemed to relate to the manager, Carolina. I have learnt over the years to pay more attention to negative reviews than positive, but since I had visited the hotel before and had friends who had good experiences, went ahead a booked via a third person website for the best price (I had emailed the hotel directly for prices, but never got a response). I knew the price from the website was similar to what my friends had paid, but less than the rack rate. The booking was prepaid, with a voucher to present at the hotel.

After having booked, I emailed Piedras Suites directly to confirm the reservation. I received a confirmation of availability. Everything seemed fine. Three days before flying from Australia, I contacted the hotel to organise a airport shuttle. To my shock, I got an email from Carolina indicating that due to 'electrical problems' the room would not be available the first night, so they'd moved me to the Monserrat ApartHotel! When I protested that not only was the Monserrat nowhere near San Telmo, it didn't make sense that the 'electrical problem' was only for one day, Carolina was very unhelpful, commenting that I hadn't paid much for the room (so apparently I had no rights). When I suggested the Hotel Dandy next door would have been less inconvenient, she complained about the price. I also pointed out the fact that having to change hotels would mean I'd lose both my time to recover from jet lag, but also a half day waiting to get into the new room (which did happen). When I complained to the third party booking agent, they confirmed that the problem was due to overbooking. By this time, it was one day before my flight, so I felt I had to agree to the two hotel option or not have any where to sleep after a 14+ hour trip.

While I have no complaints about the staff at the Monserrat ApartHotel (they were great), the hotel was in no way comparable to Piedras Suites. The rooms were basic hotel rooms with kitchenettes, and the location is in a slightly dodgy area. And since I ended up in Monserrat rather than San Telmo, I felt unable to go out to a friend's milonga (which was next door to Piedras Suites).

As predicted, the next day when I switched hotels, I wasn't really able to sleep in to help my jet lag, and I had to wait a couple of hours before I was able to get into my suite at Piedras Suites. The suite itself was, as I remembered, very nice. Because I was flying out early the next day, I asked the front desk staff to organise a taxi for 7 am. And since Carolina was aware that the booking had been prepaid by voucher, I did not anticipate any issues on check-out. So I was again unpleasantly surprised when I went down at 7 am to check-out to find that (1) apparently no taxi had been booked, (2) there was an invoice for the cost of the booking implying I hadn't paid, and (3) the poor night reception man who didn't speak English apparently hadn't been told anything! Very stressful. Luckily, I had a copy of the booking and voucher, and convinced him in pidgin Spanish that I had already paid. If I hadn't been able to speak some Spanish, I might have been forced to pay twice!

So, all in all, a pretty horrible experience. This is very sad since Piedras Suites is a very nice hotel. The problems were all due to management.

Since I know Carolina will probably read and respond to this post, I'll ask her, on behalf of Tripadvisor readers, what do they need to do to ensure good treatment at Piedras Suites? Do they need to book directly with the hotel, since third party bookings seem less valuable? Is there a price point above which their confirmations actually count.? Is there some other criteria they use to decide who gets treated well or not?

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Piedras S, Director de Recepción at Piedras Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Karen,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Piedras Suites with Trip Advisor Community.

We apologize for the inconveniences you have faced due to the fact that we have been unable to fully accommodate your two nights booking at Piedras Suites.

As we have explained to you and the agency before your arrival date, some of our Suites were out of order for an unexpected maintenance inconvenience and since it was not possible to resolve that problem in a few days, we decided to let you know about this and to book one night at a similar Hotel in the area, which we knew had high quality standards.

We have also provided the transfer service from Monserrat –that is located 700 meters from us- to Piedras Suites, in order to avoid causing further trouble to you. As soon as you arrived at Piedras Suites, we managed to have your Suite ready in 30 minutes; we have kept your luggage at the front desk so that you could have a walk around San Telmo, too.

Regarding your last inquiries, I wish to point out that we do care for providing an excellent service to all our guests -independently from the means they have chosen to make their reservations with us-.

Please feel free to contact us for any comment or inquiry you might have.
We expect you to visit us in the future.

Best Regards.